After I Purchase A Mech

29 replies to this topic

#1 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

How do I upgrade to FF armor and double heat sinks, etc?

I click on the tab, in the upgrade section, but I can't seem to be able to buy the upgrades even though I have plenty of cash.

#2 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

Drag the upgrade you want onto your mech. Worth checking whether you have it already, some mechs come with certain upgrades already installed.

#3 z00med

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

Lol, when I started it took me two days to figure that out. The U.I. from the Stone age of netcode is really not making you think of something high-tech like dragndrop :P.
So consider yourself smart that you asked ;) .

#4 Katus

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationTucson AZ

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

Ya, the UI is a bit counter intuitive. IMO the UI 2.0 is in some ways much better. However I feel that the Mech Bay needs a bunch of work. I would like something a bit more like Smurfies.

#5 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

Before you do anything - CHECK SMURFY'S!

Seriously, play around and make sure your build is viable. Come here and ask questions. But don't just build stuff, because you sell it at 50%, which means that bad decisions will eat through your hard earned C-bills.

And for the record - ignore what fluff there is - Ferro Fibrous is NO BETTER at protecting your mech. It weighs less, and that is all. And it doesn't even weight much less - you are ALWAYS better off going with Endo Steel first, and if you have the room add Ferro.

#6 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

Oh no, I understand.... I've got a light mech. Need all the weight room I can spare.

#7 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

Okay - good. Way too often I've seen someone say something like "I know I want ferro because it'll protect me better", just wanted to make sure. :P

#8 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

It's one of the tabs on the right side, logo is mech and "+" sign. As mentioned above, drag and drop option.

#9 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

Another thing to note about FF and ES is that you need enough internal slots free to install them. Even if you have the cash and drag the icon over it will not work if there are not enough internal slots.

P. S. Dont use FF Armour unless you already have endo steel internals already and have the space left over. FF and ES each use the same amount of space, but ES saves a lot more tonage than FF does. FF just makes the armour lighter, it does not alow you to place more on your mech.

#10 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:14 AM

I greatly appreciate everyone's input.

#11 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:00 AM

Ok guys.

I checked smurfy's but I'm not sure if I entirely understand it...
For a SDR-5K

So from what I see, 2 ballistic on the left arm, 1 AMS 1 engine, 2 ballistic on the right arm.... (And this build is based on a STD 240 engine)

Is this the premier build for this mech type?

I was thinking something along the lines of....

LA: MGx2
LT: JJ, MGAmmo, Engine Slot
Center: XL 210, MGAmmo, MED Laser or MED Pulse
RT: JJ, AC5 ammox2, Engine Slot
RA: AC 5 and MG

With upgraded Structure and Double heat sinks

Edited by BaconTWOfourACTUAL, 20 January 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#12 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:08 AM

View PostBaconTWOfourACTUAL, on 20 January 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

When moving at high speeds, I tend to avoid AC's due to the fact you may be rocked or under intense pressure, thus leading to wasted ammo.

But that is just me!

If all that can fit on a Spider, I will be looking out for it. Since it would be one hell of a hassle to deal with. XD

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

View PostBaconTWOfourACTUAL, on 20 January 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

So from what I see, 2 ballistic on the left arm, 1 AMS 1 engine, 2 ballistic on the right arm.... (And this build is based on a STD 240 engine)
Is this the premier build for this mech type?

I was thinking something along the lines of....

The first build you describe is the stock build -- what it comes with when you buy it.

The second sounds pretty good if you can fit it all in. My three favorites include: UAC/5 + AC/2, UAC/5 + lots of ammo and JJs, and Gauss Rifle. How practical these builds are versus when I used them, however, could be an interesting mystery.

Note the builds I just described require an XL 180 engine, and with slower speeds handling ACs are very easy to do. Of course, with any engine size it is doable, so long as you remember to slow down when firing.

#14 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:13 AM

View PostKoniving, on 20 January 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

...remember to slow down...

For some of us, that is a very hard thing to remember. *Whistles innocently*

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:20 AM

View PostAaronWolf, on 20 January 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

For some of us, that is a very hard thing to remember. *Whistles innocently*

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyoooooooooooooooooooooooooooown!
Posted Image
Sometimes you just can't afford to stop.
Spoiler

Shots by Lordred. Orange/red Spider piloted by Koniving. Yellow and other spiders piloted by members of the Zhizhu Merc. Corp.

#16 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

View PostKoniving, on 20 January 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

The first build you describe is the stock build -- what it comes with when you buy it.

The second sounds pretty good if you can fit it all in. My three favorites include: UAC/5 + AC/2, UAC/5 + lots of ammo and JJs, and Gauss Rifle. How practical these builds are versus when I used them, however, could be an interesting mystery.

Note the builds I just described require an XL 180 engine, and with slower speeds handling ACs are very easy to do. Of course, with any engine size it is doable, so long as you remember to slow down when firing.

To the OP: I will warn you before trying any of Koniving's builds - he's crazy. He does stuff with mechs that just shouldn't be possible, and makes it look effortless. :P

#17 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

Here's a version I came up with Smurphy link. Long story short, used ML, 2 MGs, and one ton of MG ammo. This allowed for near max armor, which is something I feel is important.

I have to admit, I honestly started this just so when I said you couldn't get all that on a Spider I would be able to back it up. But if you are OK with tinfoil armor, you can fit all the rest in. But I would only go with 1 ton of MG ammo as I can't recall a time when I ran out, and I have 4 MGs on my Locust and believe me I fire them constantly because god knows it needs the firepower boost. :P

*edit* Well hell the link didn't take and I already closed the window. I will be taking a look at Spiders now as I had no idea they could carry such weaponry.....

Edited by Nick Makiaveli, 20 January 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 20 January 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

*edit* Well hell the link didn't take and I already closed the window. I will be taking a look at Spiders now as I had no idea they could carry such weaponry.....

Spider's sapin' your link!

But this is why I've been upset with the Locust only getting 4 ballistic hardpoints. It can't use much larger than MGs, and which would you use? A Locust with sprinkled fairydust armor and exactly the same speed as a Spider who can carry the exact same loadout, have more armor, a bigger laser and still have jumpjets?

If it had 6 ballistics, at least it would have something over a spider 5k. But, it doesn't. :'(

Still, a Locust can carry an AC/5. Even a UAC/5.

#19 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

Trial run #1.... success. 2 kills via the AC5. 70% left at the end of the match.

I had to forgo the 2nd AC 5 ammo pack.... in order to cut weight for the dual heat sinks.
Using a Medium laser at center torso
Other than that, it is exactly as described.

Edited by BaconTWOfourACTUAL, 20 January 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#20 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

Going with Nick Makiaveli's suggestion for Trial Run #2.

Dropping a ton of MG ammo and supplementing with AC5 ammo.
Most of my damage was done at distance, since my armor is the same as that of a wet paper towel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users