#1 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

Love the look of UI 2.0 so far, but a few things:

i liked having the mechlab in a window but going to full screen to actually play a game since between games i liked checking up on my internets and so forth and it was a lot easier when mechlab was a window. it'd be nice to have a separate 'full screen' option for mechlab and in-game play

in mechlab i'd like to have the option to hide the trial mechs - i don't use them so they'r just cluttering up my owned mech list

if i have a mech selected in mechlab, and then i click on the skills tab, it would be nice if it took me directly to that mech's mech tree since chances are if i'm playing that mech and i'm leveling it up, i'd want to go directly to that mech's tree to distribute the xp. if i didn't, then i could hit 'back' and get the list

and speaking of the mech tree list, there's no reason why that list should include mechs i don't own yet. you can't level up a mech you don't own! even more convenient would be for all mechs that you leveled up to be greyed out (but still clickable) so you can easily spot the mechs that still need leveling up

Edited by JagdFlanker, 04 February 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#2 Wolf Clearwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn your 6...

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

The bad:
1. The horrible noise it makes when you mouse over anything in the mechlab - yeah, I am not playing again until that is gone, or I have the option to turn it off. It is that bad.
2. The font is so small, it is very hard to read
3. Whatever color is used on the mech locations for missile weapons - is too light, it is unreadable with white text.
4. The mechs are shown in incredibly low res.

The good: looks nice, except the above issues

Otherwise UI2.0 is ok. Not great, not much better than 1.5
Hopefully we will see some improvements soon. Overall, not bad PGI.

Edited by Wolf87535, 04 February 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#3 AdultPuppetShow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 165 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSpace Texas

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

My biggest gripe is that you have to go to the weapon group screen every time to save your loadout. (In my opinion there should always be a button on the left hand menu at all times that says, "Save Mech" when "Configuring" your mount.) It then took me a few minutes to figure out that you can't save the loadout unless you change the fire groups around. A lot of what they've done with this UI just seems unintuitive and click-festy.

Edited by AdultPuppetShow, 04 February 2014 - 02:46 PM.

#4 No Eyes

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

Amen - I don't want to have trial mechs shoved in my face.

#5 Red squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

I must say I was quite disappointed. Here is my Feedback2.0

1) Accessability
Things are hidden really well. It takes much more clicks to achive things as before. At least that's how I experience it (I didn't actually count)
e.g.: Wanna change the loadout of the selected mech, access the skill tree - that should be just one click not two not three not four.
okay okay skill tree .... Griffins .... which one was it this no this no ... click oh now it's orange ... mhhh ... click little button below. click torso twist ...pop up .... click mech xp .... click okay .... click click click...

2) Icons and labels
There are many large icons with small labels. But the labels are what really matters. Monst icons are the same or look very similar. No clue how to distinguish a small laser from a medium laser. And (playing with high res. 2650x1440 or even normal HD) those labels are so tiny it hurts my eyes and I am constantly searching the right item.
Maybe an option to have smaller icons and larger labels might help here.

3) Filters and Sort functions
are missing. alphabetic and price / owned and purchasable is not really helpful. If you own a lot of mechs (80 in my case) owned mechs is a horrible filter. Was just playing with my Griffins. One was the third in the top row, the other two were somewhere in the lower right corner. What kind of sort algorithm is this? (As they are all named after the model number G-1N G-1M ... etc)

Another example: In the skill tree my Assault mechs are sorted:
Awesome
Atlas
Stalker
Highlander
Victor
Battlemaster
What kind of Order is this?

4) Noise
dub dub dub dub dibididididididi blob blob blob dibidibididididi
Just moving my mouse anywhere creates a bazzillion of sounds. For me this is a bit much.

5) Immersion
Your cart: 2.000.0000 CB.
Checkout

Yeah that really makes it feel like mechlab Amazon. Please change these labels as it really kills my immersion (and prevented me from buying a Firestarter).

6) Orientation
I just tried to change the loadout of a mech. Okay I understand that you need to get used to new environments. Hell I even got used to WIndows 8 and Ubuntu Unity so how difficult can it be?
But it was really a horrible experience. First I dont know all hardpoints of my 80 mechs by hearth. So I liked the paper doll in the old UI. You could see in an instant where which hard points are available.
But now ... ummmm hover mouse over next mech ... .wait for info graphic to load (this really prevents one from comparing twist speed and angles for different mechs, the transition should be instantaneous)
Okay found the hard points but not their location. So you need to go through all these areas LA, RA, LT, RT
I really really really miss the overview I used to have. Okay most importantly how much tonnage do I have left to play with (search tiny number on the lower right)
Even if I account for the learning curve with this system ..... it jsut seems less user friendly than the old one.

7) Tl;dr
I wish UI2.0 could be more like this:
Load game.
Go to mech screen which is sorted as I wish (first click)
Choose mech (second click)
click on the nice large mech in the middel of the screen and directly get to that location and change the loadout. (third click)
Have a nice big paper doll right or left of the actual mech and see what is equipped.
Do not make us choose location and then type of equipment. It is again more clicks than before.

just brainstorming,
R.S.

Edited by Red squirrel, 04 February 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#6 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

the mech loadout screen is supposed to be changed to a smurfy's layout later so at least that part will be fixed

#7 Jolly Llama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

1. Put modules loaded on a mech under the weapons on the tooltip view.
2. Make the fonts bigger and in bold.
3. Allow a setting to window the UI and fullscreen the game mode.
4. Put all menus on the right and the big fornicating mech on the left.
5. List the hardpoint locations on the tooltip view in the Mechbay, specifically this is a must have for mechs that are not already purchased.
6. Make the loadout screen a drag and drop paperdoll and get rid of that clunky interface. We really don't need pictures of our equipment. That is just a waste of viewing area.
7. Bring back the armor loadout for all areas on the mech. We need to be able to adjust armor points in a single menu screen.
8. Change the ingame fonts back to wider fonts.
9. Bring back the global bar at the bottom of the screen that shows GXP, MC, and C-Bills.
10. Trash the current skill point tree menu and just go back to the old one until you figure out something a lot better. Specifically something that makes a clean rectangular screenshot. A lot of us have to post our ratings on clan forums for awards, certification for tournaments, and other things.

*edit* I thought of some more...

11. Change the play button back to launch. Allow group ready up from that button and show as not ready/ready. Make this a global button.
12. Get rid of the checkout button on the loadout screen. Make it a big save button...on the right side of course.
13. Brighten everything, it is a very dark menu background and causes serious eyestrain.
14. Bring back the 4 mech favorite screen.
15. Get rid of the status on the friend menu. I don't care where in this UI hell my friends are. I just need green, yellow, and red. Or at the very least, let us disable that for ourselves. It is not really anyone's business if I am building my next Ember killing Kintaro in my Mechbay.

But most of all...THIS!!!!

View PostRed squirrel, on 04 February 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

7) Tl;dr
Load game.
click on the nice large mech in the middel of the screen and directly get to that location and change the loadout. (third click)
Have a nice big paper doll right or left of the actual mech and see what is equipped.
Do not make us choose location and then type of equipment. It is again more clicks than before.

Edited by geodeath, 04 February 2014 - 04:07 PM.

#8 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

View PostRed squirrel, on 04 February 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

Load game.

yes! in 'select mech' instead of the tabs on the LHS (ALL/TRIAL/LIGHT/MEDIUM/etc...) have ALL and TRIAL, then the rest of the tabs we should be able to name ourselves and put the mechs we want in each of them. we can be in the 'ALL' tab and drag the mech icon into the tab we want that mech to be in

Edited by JagdFlanker, 04 February 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#9 Grickshaft

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:33 PM

i agree with all this, things i just saw after trying to build a mech

strip armor, strip mech, max armor, stock load out buttons are needed

info about mechs youre buying is so hard to figure out...so you can hover overa mech
and find some stuff, it doesnt tell you the engine it comes with... just the max and the speed at which it currently will go

seeing all your modules is awesome there, but it should allow you to strip it off a mech without having to find the mech.

when building a mech i NEED to know number of slots before purchasing upgrades, its so simple to implement this i don't even know why its not

why must i STILL NEED to go to smurfy to build a mech easier, please get it together, you have some good stuff, but please put in some options so its not a game in itself to navigate

Edited by Grickshaft, 04 February 2014 - 06:48 PM.

#10 Col Jaime Wolf

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

View PostNo Eyes, on 04 February 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

Amen - I don't want to have trial mechs shoved in my face.

or how about its "spend money on us" checkout button or the fact that champions show up in the list with owned mechs.

PGI i dont care what you think or what other pilots want in this specific regard so i will be perfectly clear.

I DONT LIKE OR WANT CHAMPION MECHS. i will never buy one ever nor do i even care to see them.

also this does just look like a way to shove (scrap) in my face to buy, again its so patently offensive that this game is just some cash grab for you guys and not a good game that people PAID to have.

Edited by Mellifluer, 04 February 2014 - 07:37 PM.

#11 Scromboid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBlue Ridge Mountains

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

In the inventory, click on mech popout screen...

Just add engine. That would be nice to find the engines in all my mechs :(

#12 PurplePaladin

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

First, the new UI looks absolutely incredible. seriously, I am very impressed with the "look".

Second, I really, really dislike it.

The font is WAY too small.

I highlight my mech, and it shows every, single, detail, BUT my weapons. Really???. I need to see what weapons are on my mech; they should be in large bold type somewhere; anywhere. Weap'pons please . . .

Trying to refit my mech was a very confusing clickfest. Too small of font; no way to click on my mech parts directly; nothing listed what so ever unless you go to that mech section, and then is so darn TINY. And the tonnage. I want the tonnage in the biggest font possible right on top of my mech picture. slots left too also.

Please, or let us default back to UI 1.

#13 BoydofZINJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

WHERE ARE MY WEAPONS.... AND HOW DO I KNOW WHAT HARDPOINTS ARE ON A MECH WHEN I BUY IT? UI 2.0 ?

#14 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:09 AM

Its easy to be a critic, so here it goes :ph34r:

I like the sound effects alot, well done. Starting to look and sound like the triple A product Mechwarrior was said to become.

The parts are all there to make it into a great UI. Overall a huge step in the right direction.

Atmosphere and graphics look really good.

Could the play button be replaced with something to do with mechwarrior, like launch or dropship. If confused by this, check the other 4 mechwarrior games for ideas. Same goes with the buy mc and other none mechwarrior buttons on the main UI. Put them under finances or something related to a mech bay.

I could go on about the missing buttons and some other clumsy parts of the ui but i am certain these will all be addressed.

Overall a huge update and glad i had a chance to check it out. Looking forward to seeing more :ph34r:

#15 Povilas

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:30 AM

No hardpoints location preview on mech, no engine preview, need to improve mechlab, armor, weapon loadout for all areas on the mech, bigger some text, integrate 4x ZOOM sensitivity option, now 4x zoom sensitivity is unplayable.

#16 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Besides the hell of a thousand clicks (as I call it myself)
I really hope they will remove words like cart and checkout.

A mechwarrior has no cart he has a hangar.

#17 Alvor

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Yea what all the above said. Please fix this annoying less functional UI 2.0. Who ever thought this was ready to go "live" was incorrect. BTW I still think this is in Beta as CW is still not implemented.

Edited by Alvor, 12 February 2014 - 06:48 PM.

#18 ruagoof2

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 38 posts
  • LocationBrookfield, Illinois

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

Nice look too many layers....16 selections to add a module...you are going to revise this...right?

Just my 2 pennies worth...

Goof...

#19 Breadmachine

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:44 AM

PLEASE add a button to disable the mouse over sounds in the UI!

It literally drives me out of the game with in 20 seconds.

Perhaps that seems a bit dramatic, but that's the truth on my end.

Or at least a "UI sound" slider, like UT had, so that we can turn it down with out losing our Deployed sound effects.

Peace.

#20 BillyM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

View PostJagdFlanker, on 04 February 2014 - 02:20 PM, said:

Love the look of UI 2.0 so far, but a few things:

i liked having the mechlab in a window but going to full screen to actually play a game since between games i liked checking up on my internets and so forth and it was a lot easier when mechlab was a window. it'd be nice to have a separate 'full screen' option for mechlab and in-game play

YES YES YES SO MUCH THIS YES~!

I have noticed considerably more AFK-at-start folks, who I know have alt-tab'd while they are searching and don't come back for 2-3 minutes... WINDOWED MECHLAB PLZ!

(If you haven't tried it, run MechLab ui2.0 in a 1280x720 window, it looks SO much better...)

--billyM

Edited by BillyM, 13 February 2014 - 08:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users