Processor: AMD 8120 8-core
CPU speed: 3100 MHz
GPU: Radeon HD 7770
Power supply: 650w
Connection speed:
-- ping: 12ms
-- download speed: 64-65 Mbps
-- upload speed: 12 Mbps

Like many people here, I'm having a problem maintaining something even remotely resembling steady frames per second. I tend to average around 8 to 12 fps in any match. I've played with the graphics settings but unless I reduce everything to Low and turn off anti-aliasing, it doesn't help.

Convinced it was my graphics card, I took my PC to my trusted computer store, where the tech plugged everything in, cranked up MWO, and let me play a game. Damn thing ran smooth as glass on max settings, averaging around 30-35 fps.

So, I'm coming here for advice. What other possible solution should I be looking for? The tech advised me to try unplugging everything except the mouse, keyboard, and monitor and see what happens (at the store, there was no printer plugged into the PC like there normally is at the home). I tried that, too. Negative. What sort of dark rituals do I have to perform now to get this game to run well?

Edited by Kendai, 03 February 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#2 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

… Was this store much cooler then your home?

#3 Dexter Herbivore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 241 posts
  • LocationPerth WA

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:04 AM

Every AMD chip that I've used has had heat problems.

#4 Kendai

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:51 AM

View PostGoose, on 24 January 2014 - 12:00 AM, said:

… Was this store much cooler then your home?

Actually, no. The store had the heat cranked while I keep my residence at a more comfortable, and lower, temperature.

#5 Grey Death Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:55 AM

View PostKendai, on 23 January 2014 - 11:03 PM, said:

Ladies and gentlemen,

First, computer specs:
RAM: 8 Gigs
Processor: AMD 8120 8-core
CPU speed: 3100 MHz
GPU: Radeon HD 7770
Power supply: 650w
Connection speed:
-- ping: 12ms
-- upload speed: 64-65 Mbps
-- download speed: 12 Mbps

Like many people here, I'm having a problem maintaining something even remotely resembling steady frames per second. I tend to average around 8 to 12 fps in any match. I've played with the graphics settings but unless I reduce everything to Low and turn off anti-aliasing, it doesn't help.

Convinced it was my graphics card, I took my PC to my trusted computer store, where the tech plugged everything in, cranked up MWO, and let me play a game. Damn thing ran smooth as glass on max settings, averaging around 30-35 fps.

So, I'm coming here for advice. What other possible solution should I be looking for? The tech advised me to try unplugging everything except the mouse, keyboard, and monitor and see what happens (at the store, there was no printer plugged into the PC like there normally is at the home). I tried that, too. Negative. What sort of dark rituals do I have to perform now to get this game to run well?

I have a strong belief it to do with your broadband bandwidth speeds remember mechwarrior is an online game, It could also be the area you are in with broadband you could be getting poor coverage, another test you can try is go to youtube watch video see if you are getting bandwidth lag, I would also consider contacting your broadband provider to do a test on your line.

#6 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

… Anything we should know about your monitor? As in "Three of them, set to 12Hz with v-sync on?"

#7 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:46 AM

View PostGoose, on 25 January 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

… Anything we should know about your monitor? As in "Three of them, set to 12Hz with v-sync on?"

^this

Are you running a higher resolution at home than what was being ran at the computer shop?

#8 Kendai

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

View PostGoose, on 25 January 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

View PostBarbaric Soul, on 26 January 2014 - 05:46 AM, said:

^this

Are you running a higher resolution at home than what was being ran at the computer shop?

Excellent question. Unfortunately, no. The max resolution at the computer store on their monitor was 1680x1050, just a step below the maximum my monitor is capable of displaying, which is 1920x1080. When I lowered my resolution at the home to the same level as the computer store, it didn't help.

I only have the one monitor with a refresh rate of 60 Hz. DVI connection to the graphics card. Nothing fancy, nothing split or divided.

#9 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

View PostKendai, on 23 January 2014 - 11:03 PM, said:

Ladies and gentlemen,

… I tend to average around 8 to 12 fps in any match … I took my PC to my trusted computer store, where the tech plugged everything in, cranked up MWO, and let me play a game. Damn thing ran smooth as glass on max settings, averaging around 30-35 fps.

Wait: What?

Where you just in the Training Grounds at the shop, or on the air, in full multi-player?

#10 Kendai

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

View PostGoose, on 31 January 2014 - 08:31 PM, said:

Wait: What?

Where you just in the Training Grounds at the shop, or on the air, in full multi-player?

Full on game. If memory serves, I was playing a Locust (fast mechs give me more problems, so I picked the fastest POS I had) on Tourmaline Desert. We actually won that game which, amusingly enough, allowed me to purchase my next-to-last Elite Perk via mech XP. So there I was, victorious, staring at the techies, wondering why the hell I can't get this performance at home.

And I'm running out of ideas.

The only other thing I can think of is to ask the computer guys if I can borrow a different cable modem/router and see if, for some unknown reason, it's my box that's giving me problems. I doubt that will work, though, since I've played Halo 3 & 4 multiplayer on my 360 in the past with zero lag and those games have just as many explosions, stats, hit detections, movement, etc.etc.etc. that this game has, if not more.

#11 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

I'm low on ideas, too.

Drag the thing to a friends house, see what happens …

#12 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:48 AM

Wait, before you drag your PC around again... one very massive information is missing.

How is your PC connected to the Router at home?

Do you have W-LAN, LAN or D-LAN?

#13 Kendai

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 01 February 2014 - 01:48 AM, said:

How is your PC connected to the Router at home?

Do you have W-LAN, LAN or D-LAN?

I'm about to demonstrate my ultimate n00b-ness here and admit I had to look these up. My PC is wired directly to the modem/router. I've always heard that wireless connections are never as effective as wired connections so I've never tried the former. It's a typical cable modem, in the fact that it connects to the wall, has built-in wireless capabilities (which only my DS and cellphone ever utilize, and only once every 3 months or so), and four ethernet jacks. I currently have my PS3 and 360 plugged in, though neither are ever on when I'm playing on the PC.

I've also tried unplugging everything from the modem but the PC to see if that affected the performance. Result: zilch.

For the record, I'm using a Cisco DPC3825 cable modem.

#14 Bad Karma 308

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 411 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

I've been away for awhile, but having returned, I'm interested in chiming in here,

Can you verify your Up and down internet speeds?

Reason being is that if that is what you're really seeing then we may be able to help isolate your issue here.

Unless you have an odd type of subsctiption then it should be the other way around. Even then the up and down ratio would be a bit skewed.

Spoiler

Edited by Bad Karma 308, 09 March 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#15 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

Have you tried downloading MSI Afterburner and seeing what your GPU temp is at home? Is the PC in an enclosed "computer desk" at the house? Restricted airflow will really kill your performance. At the shop they more then likely had it on a bench where your fans got optimum breathing room. If you have the PC in an enclosed space at home, that might be the issue as well. The house may be cool, but the small space gets hot due to no place for the hot exhaust to vent to.

Might also want to download Core Temp since you have a an 8 core proc. See what kind of temp the cores have and what kind of load they are seeing. Again, see above for the temp issues.

Edited by Golrar, 02 February 2014 - 09:11 PM.

#16 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

What ISP do you have? I highly doubt any provider has a package like that.

Has the game ever run well? it should run fine for you.

Are all your drivers up to date?

Is MWO blocked on your firewall?

Is any other game having this issue on your PC?

copy paste your DxDiag (click here for how to use DxDiag) for the technerds here (not me), along with your results from http://www.speedtest.net/ for your internet.

Just throwing my 2 cents in the attempt to help.

#17 Kendai

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

View PostBad Karma 308, on 02 February 2014 - 07:21 PM, said:

Can you verify your Up and down internet speeds?

Ah. I didn't realize I had flipped that around. Yes, it's supposed to be
-- download speed:64-65 Mbps
-- upload speed - 12 Mbps
I've just edited the original post to reflect this.

Edited by Kendai, 03 February 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#18 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

You took your whole computer to the PC store, or just your graphics card?

edit: sorry, just re-read.

Indeed a strange problem. Any other games have similar issues? I'll throw a few things out there, however unlikely:

Heat could be the issue I guess, but usually isn't immediately apparent like it is here.

Try a different monitor or plug it into your TV as a test. Also a different DVI cable. May sound wacky but I've seen it!

Also try a different keyboard and mouse.

If you're plugged into a surge protector or powerbar, try going right from the wall (and if that solves it, buy a new surge protector!). Also try a different socket in your house. There's a chance it could be power related. On that note, make sure you have your power settings in windows set to "high performance", though once again if it worked in the PC shop then that's probably not the problem.

If you have wireless, is it secured? If not someone could be using your nice free internet and using all your bandwidth downloading torrents and stuff..

Hard to say though. What a puzzle.

Edited by cSand, 03 February 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#19 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

View PostKendai, on 01 February 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:

For the record, I'm using a Cisco DPC3825 cable modem.

Even though everyone has been all over it, just walking through some clarifications and setting up some testing/troubleshooting steps.

First though (did ya post anything??) What is your FPS in the testing grounds?

1. At home using your monitor/internet connection, low FPS.
2. At shop, using their monitor and internet connection, high FPS

3. Cisco DPC3825 cable modem (it is both a modem and router, aka gateway) Reading the reviews on a few sites, the gateway gets hot and has issues, particularly with the wireless part. Turn off the wireless part (for testing).

Make sure it is in a location with plenty of air circulation. Then to test bridge mode (this disables the router part, making it act just as a modem instead of a gateway).

http://forums.redfla...m-mode-1142802/

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 February 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#20 Kendai

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:07 AM

Lots of replies! I really appreciate the answers, folks. I'll start by addressing the stuff I've done thus far:

Heat: I haven't run an actual heat diagnostic on my PC yet, but I don't hold out hope it'll be different. My PC rests on my desk (an old metal Army desk from the 80s, so it has square footage to spare) surrounded by nothing, so it does get plenty of air circulation. At the computer store, it was the same.

View PostIron Harlequin, on 02 February 2014 - 10:23 PM, said:

What ISP do you have?

Has the game ever run well?

Are all your drivers up to date?

Is MWO blocked on your firewall?

Is any other game having this issue on your PC?

copy paste your DxDiag (click here for how to use DxDiag) for the technerds here (not me), along with your results from http://www.speedtest.net/ for your internet.

My ISP: Cox Communications. I have the second highest internet tier available, 300 gigs a month. I ran a check earlier today, checking my data usage over the past year, and have never reached beyond using a 1/3 of that threshold. I've also played this game at all times of the day and night, suffering the same FPS issue, so I know it isn't a data slow-down due to peak periods.

MWO has never run smoothly for me. Ever. I just played and simply dealt with it until I discovered the F9 key. It was one thing to joke with my friends that I got 5 FPS; it just got my goat when I discovered it was true.

All drivers are up to date.

I'm not sure about the firewall question. The game does run, I can play it, and occasionally, it will hold steady at 24 FPS for almost a minute. It just never lasts.

This is the only game with this issue. No other game, including those with online modes, suffer the same problems. Granted, on my PC, I don't play any other multiplayer frag fests. But I have played hundreds of Halo 4 matches on my 360 using the same internet connection with zero problems.

I've posted most of my system specs already and my upload/download speed results came directly from http://www.speedtest.net/.

Edited by Kendai, 04 February 2014 - 03:36 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users