• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 28 January 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

Largest XL + 6 mpl in the hunch. stuff with dhs and run in a pack

As for the joystick guys,

I just built myself a kickass budget gaming rig for my b-day over the weekend, only problem was I ran out of cash before monitor. Unwilling to pair it to an old crt I chose to plug her directly into my LCD Bravia. This made a new problem where I was sitting on the floor and killing my back...added in a couple of old ammo cans and a spare seat from my Shelby Z and its golden now

Posted Image

Thinking im gonna try to figure out the left hand joystick configs tonight for more immersion :D

Do I spy a M14 and a Mosin?

#62 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

It took me a solid year of playing this game to perform decently. I always had this knack for choosing the worst variants of a chassis. My first mech was a Raven 4X. Eventually, I discovered the 3L and slowly learned to be a competent light pilot who spotted for the Lurmers and executed circles of death with some proficiency. It wasn't until earlier this month that my KDR rose above 1.
That being said, you guys couldn't be more right. If I didn't enjoy all of those hours in my little bird, I wouldn't have kept going. It's nice to see the stats rising but at the end of the day, it really is about having fun and supporting your team.

#63 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostDrRedCoat, on 28 January 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

It took me a solid year of playing this game to perform decently. I always had this knack for choosing the worst variants of a chassis. My first mech was a Raven 4X. Eventually, I discovered the 3L and slowly learned to be a competent light pilot who spotted for the Lurmers and executed circles of death with some proficiency. It wasn't until earlier this month that my KDR rose above 1.
That being said, you guys couldn't be more right. If I didn't enjoy all of those hours in my little bird, I wouldn't have kept going. It's nice to see the stats rising but at the end of the day, it really is about having fun and supporting your team.

Salute for a fellow Raveneer.

Posted Image

I started with the 3L, and then went to the 4X, and it still by far is the best bird for me.

(And the 2X is still my laser chicken.)

#64 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostAaronWolf, on 28 January 2014 - 07:17 AM, said:

You know, if they implemented the "Lower Threshold" system you mentioned in the video, I would be kinda sad.

As 3 PPC Awesome's is kinda a staple of the lore. It would be spitting in the face of us who love the franchise, again. Though it would help the game be less "ALPHA IT TO DEATH", and more reliance on DPS, rather then burst.

Technically, that 3 PPC Awesome lore staple is actually 3 PPCs each fired only once in a 10 second period. Nothing says how it is fired far as the manuals, and since they almost always hit between 2 and 3 different locations and mathematically the 3 PPCs can get exactly identical heat results through chain firing the lore would not only be preserved but result in a perfect replication of tabletop. Also recall that in lore alpha strikes are rare, last ditch efforts and the reasoning behind the randomized hit locations are for two lore-written reasons: One, all weapons are fired one at a time. Two, pilots are watchful of their heat as they can easily and rapidly reach their caps even with double heatsinks.

Spoiler

View PostCathy, on 28 January 2014 - 04:30 AM, said:

My ribs hurt bish

Die ^&*%$£ just like wack a mole caused coffee snort

Thank you. The comment was a reference to an older video of mine in BF3. Shortly after the MAV assisted coordinated knife kill, I take out someone with a sniper rifle. Enjoy! Little duck hunt, wackamole, and other textual comments are abound throughout the video if you want more coffee snorts! :D

#65 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

I used to be happy with a 1.0 KDR - for me it meant you can give as good as you take. What changed this for me was Quake Wars.

In order to rank up in that game players needed to earn a number of achievement type merit badges, one of which required a huge number of 'survival' xp. I forgot the exact formula used to calculate survival xp, but it was something like players earn 1 xp 20 seconds after taking damage, if they are still alive.

In order to earn the next rank, I had to totally change my playstyle. Instead of always going all in, standing toe to toe with people, and face tanking them trading blows like I used to, I had to start setting ambushes, and running away as soon as I took any damage.

I was very suprised when I saw my KDR skyrocket. I learned several lessons here - first part of a high KDR is staying alive. Don't overcommit, always have an escape plan. Second thing I learned was achievements can be a powerful behavior shaping tool for developers.

When the Quake Wars stats server went down I had a ~6.0 kdr on my favorite class. My KDR in MWO is ~3.5 in my most played mech - I attribute this to the fact that MWO has a matchmaker, while ET:QW had none. People complain about the matchmaker in MWO, but in all honesty it was much easier to dominate a match in past games I have played.

Edited by xhrit, 28 January 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#66 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostKoniving, on 28 January 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

Technically, that 3 PPC Awesome lore staple is actually 3 PPCs each fired only once in a 10 second period. Nothing says how it is fired far as the manuals, and since they almost always hit between 2 and 3 different locations and mathematically the 3 PPCs can get exactly identical heat results through chain firing the lore would not only be preserved but result in a perfect replication of tabletop. Also recall that in lore alpha strikes are rare, last ditch efforts and the reasoning behind the randomized hit locations are for two lore-written reasons: One, all weapons are fired one at a time. Two, pilots are watchful of their heat as they can easily and rapidly reach their caps even with double heatsinks.

Spoiler

I didin't know that! Good to know, to be honest. Since I don't remember it all from TT nor the novels. Or MW3 for that matter. The one time I actually remember the Awesome is from the TV show.

My general remembrance fails me often. >_>

Thank you for the correction and info!

#67 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostAaronWolf, on 28 January 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

You are not alone in that. :mellow:

#68 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

View PostAaronWolf, on 28 January 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

The remembrance speaks to us of the evil in man's will.

You're welcome; and one thing about the TV show is it was made to sell toys, and honestly what I've seen so far of it reminds me of GI Joe clashed with Gundam and terrible voice acting. Mostly terrible voice acting if you mean the cartoon thus far.

#69 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

I definitely feel the OP. I started out on a crappy laptop, playing with my touchpad, running FPS that was like interacting with a slide show. Add to that I had never played an online shooter before. Add to that I started in the months before ghost-heat, when there were literally eight-man teams of PPC Stalkers one-shotting any of us n00bs that so much as peeked around a rock the wrong way. I spent more time exploding in my first two months of MWO than anything else. It didn't matter, though. I was a TT fanatic in the 80's-90's and even if I was dying, I was dying in a f2p Mechwarrior game! So, my KDR was abysmal. I'm still not at an overall 1.00 (.70) but as far as my subsequent individual mechs, it has gotten much better.

I've given up trying to ignore my KDR. It matters to me, and I can't deny it. But only in as far as it helps me become a better player and an asset to my team in improving it. No dragging heels waiting for everyone else to do the hard work, no shadowing other players and only engaging when the enemy is going to die anyway. Sometimes I get lucky and get an easy kill or two, but by and large I feel my improving KDR reflects my improving skill in-game.

View PostAaronWolf, on 27 January 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

This all leads together to mean that we have to play much more safely then other Mediums.
I would rank Centurions FAR higher then Hunchbacks. Cicadas are "Special". And Shadwhawks are the creme' of the crop.

Feels like somethings missing from this picture... Wait, I know!
Posted Image
I know, but leave me alone... I'm in love with my Blackjack! :mellow:

View PostAaronWolf, on 28 January 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

I know that feeling, its a good feeling when you knock down that Assault with a well placed AC-20 or watching the 3 Machineguns you got core out the Heavy infront of you. You literally jump in your seat and nearly throw the keyboard in the victory of destroying a greater adversary in an overpriced tincan.

When I drop a Highlander, Phract, Jag, or any other meta-FOTM in my little Blackjack, I always hope I'm making the pilot reconsider why they're so sure they should be running that build. In addition to the elation of victory, there's the hope that I'm helping them break out of their stale cookie-cutter doldrums.

View PostCathy, on 28 January 2014 - 04:12 AM, said:

I wanted to experience what every pilot goes through from trying to make locusts work to stomping things flat in an Atlas, without using cheese builds.

Dropped into a PUG with you the other day. No big deal, but as I crawl from the muck of my ELO abyss, I'm always chuffed to see veterans from the forums in the PUG... makes me feel like I'm heading in the right direction, anyway. You were running a light; I can't remember which, exactly, but you were pretty handy with it!

#70 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

my general kd is 1.37 my highest is 2.55 JAGERMECH -DD
2xERPPC, 6xMG, std260 engine, 16 dbl heat sinks

getting a high kd is not that hard
but its not about kills like most people think

a high KD is all about staying alive and supporting your team
and i do not mean just hanging back and snake'n peoples kills

i mean truly supporting your team
if you are doing a battle dance or even just on your way to one and you see a team mate in trouble
help him out, keep him alive and dont be afraid to get hurt in the process
if you know its going to hurt do it in the best possible way

for example
i was in my centurion poking at the edges of a battle
an atlas burst around the corner and was hammering our battlemaster who returned fire
but he had just taken out another mech, now he was hot and wounded , the battlemaster overheated
a fully loaded atlas bearing down on him,
i charged in full speed knowing my 2ml,lbx10,3lrm5 would be ignored by an atlas (and it was)
the atlas closing range fast, only firing his cool weapons in prep for a massive finisher
my armour wasnt that fresh but it was mostly front hits , so i ran in and stopped between them both
with my back to the atlas and took his full alpha and some, lost my shield arm and a LRM tube
my battle computer stressing about the horrible damage i just took
the battlemaster powered up, i spun to face the atlas , anything else from him to my rear and im gone
i give him everything iv got, but at this range its not much
the atlas clearly not impressed focus fire on me, but it was ok , my job was done, i could almost taste his hate
but it never came, the battlemaster took him apart like a sunday lunch then we pressed on to help the others

out tonned and out numbered we took the enemy apart with ease
i scored 1 or 2 kills that match and several assists
but the important part is i was alive at the end
and thats what floats a KDR, staying alive
best way to do that is with team mates

also press R every time your looking at a new enemy !!!!
i dont care if you have no lockon weapons PRESS R
shoot that their weakpoints

Edited by Naduk, 28 January 2014 - 03:56 PM.

#71 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

View PostTycho von Gagern, on 28 January 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

I definitely feel the OP. I started out on a crappy laptop, playing with my touchpad, running FPS that was like interacting with a slide show. Add to that I had never played an online shooter before. Add to that I started in the months before ghost-heat, when there were literally eight-man teams of PPC Stalkers one-shotting any of us n00bs that so much as peeked around a rock the wrong way. I spent more time exploding in my first two months of MWO than anything else. It didn't matter, though. I was a TT fanatic in the 80's-90's and even if I was dying, I was dying in a f2p Mechwarrior game! So, my KDR was abysmal. I'm still not at an overall 1.00 (.70) but as far as my subsequent individual mechs, it has gotten much better.

I've given up trying to ignore my KDR. It matters to me, and I can't deny it. But only in as far as it helps me become a better player and an asset to my team in improving it. No dragging heels waiting for everyone else to do the hard work, no shadowing other players and only engaging when the enemy is going to die anyway. Sometimes I get lucky and get an easy kill or two, but by and large I feel my improving KDR reflects my improving skill in-game.

Posted Image
I know, but leave me alone... I'm in love with my Blackjack! :lol:

When I drop a Highlander, Phract, Jag, or any other meta-FOTM in my little Blackjack, I always hope I'm making the pilot reconsider why they're so sure they should be running that build. In addition to the elation of victory, there's the hope that I'm helping them break out of their stale cookie-cutter doldrums.

Dropped into a PUG with you the other day. No big deal, but as I crawl from the muck of my ELO abyss, I'm always chuffed to see veterans from the forums in the PUG... makes me feel like I'm heading in the right direction, anyway. You were running a light; I can't remember which, exactly, but you were pretty handy with it!

I love the BJX...I just don't want to draw too much attention to it. :mellow: Since its that sneaky Medium that is really better then the Shawk in my mind. <_<

(I prefer arm mounted weaponry for versatility over torso mounted. Which is where the BJX shines IMO.)

#72 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

View PostTycho von Gagern, on 28 January 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

Posted Image

It's funny I have Buc for almost all my mechs... but every day there's something new to discover. My BJs don't have faces with the color combinations I'm running. Or it doesn't look like a face. Time to repaint!

#73 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:27 AM

View PostAaronWolf, on 28 January 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

Do I spy a M14 and a Mosin?

Indeed. The others are a american built, lend-lease enfield rifle no4 mk1* and a ninety six year old savage model 19 nra match.

#74 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:13 AM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 29 January 2014 - 06:27 AM, said:

Indeed. The others are a american built, lend-lease enfield rifle no4 mk1* and a ninety six year old savage model 19 nra match.

Nice!

Though... *Insert grumbling about 308. becoming excessively expensive as of late*

#75 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

Agreed, though 54r and 8mm (Hakim not pictured) are still fairly cheap and available

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users