52 replies to this topic

#21 Lucian Nostra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

O.o

As if LRMs where not bad enough already lets add in more ways to make them suck.

#22 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 29 January 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

I apologize for carrying a PPC in a Jenner.

I assume there's an LRM buff somewhere along the line. You don't randomly do things like this without a purpose (but, PGI outsmarting itself has happened many times).

I guess it could be in response to NARC...but jesus can we see how that fleshes out before we add more counters?

Why don't other weapon's have ten counters?

And you should be sorry about the Jenner PPC.

#23 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

Guys, you're forgetting that those things also might nerf Streaks (but should leave SRMs alone), so it might be good for a light streak defense.

View PostDeathlike, on 29 January 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

I apologize for carrying a PPC in a Jenner.
Lies! You're not really sorry!

#24 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

It's good to see the devs thinking creatively.

#25 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

I have advanced missile warning system already. I look and see the arc of missiles and assume the mech is at the other end of that arc.

#26 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 29 January 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

And you should be sorry about the Jenner PPC.

Well, it's the only thing I could do with a Jenner-K to make it more productive.

I apologize if the other options sucked.

#27 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

Posted Image

#28 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:48 PM

View PostCYBRN4CR, on 29 January 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

500m/s isn't slow considering it's faster than SRMs and the fastest missile to date. And both take .9 seconds to reach their maximum range.

An AC20 fires faster than that, and has a completely different application/usage. The NARC may be the fastest missile, but it's technically a slow projectile, eaten up by dual AMS.

Edited by Deathlike, 29 January 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#29 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 29 January 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

An AC20 fires faster than that, and has a completely different application/usage. The NARC may be the fastest missile, but it's technically a slow projectile, eaten up by dual AMS.

And the range on it is abysmal...oh yeah and the only mechs who are going to carry it are lights, who are going to be two shotted trying to use it.

Unless someone wants to try and sneak the medium mech that is the size of an assault up close to Narc someone...good luck.

#30 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

View PostChemie, on 29 January 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

I have advanced missile warning system already. I look and see the arc of missiles and assume the mech is at the other end of that arc.

Which works decently well in an open field and with clear battle lines. Not so hot in close quarters, with enemies all around, and LRMs going off all over the place.

I mean, I do it as well (a remnant of playing a light in closed beta; one eye on the enemy, one eye on the sky), but it's far from failproof.

As for the rest of the breakdown I'm most worried about the "all aspects of a weapon" bit and what associated penalties there will be. Hopefully they've thought it through and there will be no "30m extra range but the beam is pink" style modules (as in, no real disadvantage).

Also, won't this make balancing weapons even harder than it already is?

#31 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 29 January 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

I guess it could be in response to NARC...but jesus can we see how that fleshes out before we add more counters?

Well, while you're freaking out about things that haven't even been implemented yet, and drawing wacky conclusions about things with no factual base, we'll be happily testing some (potentially tasty) new changes next week.

Honest question, do you even play? Or is your game ForumWarrior Online?

Edited by cSand, 29 January 2014 - 02:58 PM.

#32 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

Ok this is just sickening why even bother with having missiles in the game now.
If they did any real damage except to noobs standing still in an open field I could see.
But missiles barely do jack as it is.
Whats next reflective smoke anti laser systems?
Why not add force bubble modules?
Or for that matter why not power ups.
Seriously why turn this game into Hawken jr?

#33 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 29 January 2014 - 04:59 PM, said:

Ok this is just sickening why even bother with having missiles in the game now.
If they did any real damage except to noobs standing still in an open field I could see.
But missiles barely do jack as it is.
Whats next reflective smoke anti laser systems?
Why not add force bubble modules?
Or for that matter why not power ups.
Seriously why turn this game into Hawken jr?

Way to overreact there buddy. I see no nerfs just a maybe consumable and a module

#34 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Another PR failure. The announcement is there and I'm grateful, but the reasoning and justifications behind it are lacking, leaving us in a circle of confusion and speculation that has become all too familiar. I suspect the rationale needed to understand these features lie with other features that are not ready to be announced.

I kinda wish that no announcements would be made unless the rationale could be included with it.

Of course, that would look like "no communication" and "silence from PGI".

So I don't know what I want.

#35 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts
  • LocationMajestic Waterfowl Sanctuary

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

I think the new LRM defense modules are great ideas, and this is from a guy who's favorite mech is a C-1 Catapult with 2k LRM loadout.

The average mech only has two or three module slots. I load one of my module slots with one UAV as a standing rule. It brings the rain like nothing else. Why not let the other guy load a chaff and have a chance to negate some of that pain.

Committing a slot to counter one specific weapon, for a limited time, is a serious choice. More module choices is a good thing. People will really have to consider what they are loading. No level 1 weapon upgrade, or no chaff, or no UAV, or no Arty strike... choice in this matter is great.

And those of you who claim that LRM's are useless must be playing a different game than the one I play. The K/D ratio on my missile boats are over 2.0.

Maybe the chaff module is coming so that Thomas can bring back the Artemis missile flight pattern! God I loved that!

#36 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 29 January 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

I thought it was "3051" - http://mwomercs.com/clock

Maybe they've run out of new mechs to sell us after this year, and need to turn the clock ahead to pick up the TRO 3055/3058 additions.

#37 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

Make chaff a consumable.
Let NARC and TAG bypass chaff

It would then change what you have to take and make things more useful all the way around. I think it would change a few dynamics without nerfing LRMs much

#38 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

View PostNgamok, on 29 January 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

ESTIMATED RELEASE: June 3050 – January 3060

I think it's more interesting that they stretched the timeline that far out than anything else in that post.

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 29 January 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

Maybe they've run out of new mechs to sell us after this year, and need to turn the clock ahead to pick up the TRO 3055/3058 additions.

Several 3055 mechs I'd love to see.

Edited by Bagheera, 29 January 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#39 SpartanFiredog317

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 176 posts
  • LocationMighty MO

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

View PostSephlock, on 29 January 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

And any thoughts on scrapping those anti LRM modules, or implementing equally logical anti slas, flamer, and pulse laser modules?

The S and A/D keys (move backward and to one side).

Relax bro, I think they may be seeing the potential for the CLAN LRM/Streak-pocalypse that is on the horizon... ALL of the anti-missile stuff is slated to go in AFTER clan tech has been introduced.

I think this is a good call and hopefully means we will see toothier Clan missile tech.

Personally I will enjoy seeing if the Adder is the first light capable of doing what I REALLY want to try playing like... a hyper mobile artillery platform. I think one variant comes with 2x CLRM20.

40 LRM platform at 100 KPH with what *should* be one of the lowest profiles in the game... will certainly be unique and break the lights are sniper or scrapper mold.

picture:

http://www.sarna.net...ted_Adder_A.jpg

Edited by SpartanFiredog317, 29 January 2014 - 10:07 PM.

#40 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:55 AM

Well, if they do implement Chaff as they seem to be proposing (100% defense against any number of missiles in an area effect), then it should affect -all- missiles. This means friendly as well as enemy. Chaff is not a seeking system itself, just airborne reflective items that produce alot more targets for seeking weapons to 'see'. Friendly weapons would no more be able to see through a cloud of chaff able to ensure total and complete immunity to missile hits (including those that simple went ballistic and happened to hit something). This is why chaff is a defense of last resort.

This would also make using these a careful decision on the part of the using team, and limit them from simply being chain-fired to provide full immunity during a battle.

I think chaff itself is far too powerful (we said this about ECM, so I don't know that this will make a dent in considerations for this system) and unnecessary as long as missiles have such a long flight time, require maintained lock to hit, and already have a very effective counter-system in the game. All this does is promote more combat behavior that -should- get that pilot killed and would if it were any other system in the game (ACs, GRs, Energy Weapons). If it has to be put in, however, there is absolutely no reason it would not hinder the team using it as much as the team it is used against.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 30 January 2014 - 03:56 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users