• 854 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

A Wild Command Chair Update appears:

http://mwomercs.com/...eakdown/unread/

Nice news! Thoughts?

#2 FactorlanP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • LocationMy Wallet is closed until I see real progress.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

I always enjoy reading his posts.

#3 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

Chaff

ESTIMATED RELEASE: June 3050 – January 3060

Don't hold your breath on this one.

#4 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

How about instead of chaff and advanced lrm warnings (because the warnings we have are not enough), we get this.

Or we could go with the chaff and missile warning systems, and also include special fire extinguisher systems to weaken flamers, and light refractive armor that nerfs the damage from slas and pulse lasers.

Edited by Sephlock, 29 January 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#5 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

So I skimmed it...are they removing the missile warning and requiring the module?

Or are they just adding the module as a way to know where the missiles are coming from?

And Chaff?

Why are we receiving so many new ways to screw over LRM's, which are already pretty bad?

Edited by Nicholas Carlyle, 29 January 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#6 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

I have predicted the future again!

A very long time ago (Closed Beta) I suggested to the Developers a weapons tweaking system that would allow users to heighten the performance of certain weapon systems while simultaneously hampering the weapon's performance in other respects. A couple examples I gave was an ERLL with a slightly longer range but also generating slightly more heat, and a Medium laser that caused a little more damage but had a lower recycle rate than a normal one. Looks like the Weapon Modules might be following this idea, as pointed out in Thomas's posting.

"- The modules can mutate any statistics the weapons have.
- As for balancing, which is up to the military council, if a module gives a certain benefit it will most likely cause a penalty as well."

This is like the time when AirStrikes were announced to be going live, and everyone started freaking out as if they never read the Dev Blogs that outlined their intention to put airstrikes in the game...

Edited by Prosperity Park, 29 January 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#7 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

I thought it was "3051" - http://mwomercs.com/clock

#8 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 29 January 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

So I skimmed it...are they removing the missile warning and requiring the module?

Or are they just adding the module as a way to know where the missiles are coming from?

And Chaff?

Why we we receiving so many new ways to screw over LRM's, which are already pretty bad?

The upgrade missile warning system will show you like a highlighted path of where the missiles are coming in from, so you can lets say use a pole to intercept the missiles because you know their exact trajectory.

Even standing behind a building you can get nailed by missiles just because you don't know where they are coming in from so you can't get out of their angle. But the AMW should let you place your mech perfectly so you never get hit.

-

The chaff is sort a advanced single use module. You are out in the open and a LRM tsunami comes screaming in that your AMS has no hope of stopping.

Pop chaff and book it for cover.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 29 January 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#9 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

These LRM buffs don't really make sense, in the aspect is that you don't really need it, and it's primarily useful to newbies.

It almost sounds like an LRM buff will come in the patch. That "buff" may have been tested in the public test server for UI 2.0, but was unannounced as it was strange how people were using a lot more LRMs while that session was going.

The "chaff" thing seems to be useful if you know you're being rained upon, but that seems to have a really short window. I can see this kinda being used on the X5, but otherwise, these additions don't seem to contribute to anything of use, outside of the weapon modules since we have no hard numbers.

Edited by Deathlike, 29 January 2014 - 01:32 PM.

#10 Thomas Dziegielewski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere - St.Ives - CERES METALS, AAlcadis Revised Underground Complex, B5

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

It sure is 3051. Corrected.

#11 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

View PostSephlock, on 29 January 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

How about instead of chaff and advanced lrm warnings (because the warnings we have are not enough), we get this.

Or we could go with the chaff and missile warning systems, and also include special fire extinguisher systems to weaken flamers, and light refractive armor that nerfs the damage from slas and pulse lasers.

I had to login just to like and reply to this. The text behind the link is here:

In 3051,[1] the Federated Commonwealth started development of the Blue Shield Particle Field Damper, a defensive system that would reduce damage from PPCs. The New Avalon Institute of Science produced its prototype in 3053. While the field damper did shield the equipped unit from PPC fire, it was also notoriously unreliable in ground units. After roughly a minute of operation, the dust and other miscellaneous debris it sucked in began to adversely affect the operation of the damper, eventually resulting in shutdown of the system.[2] To delay this problem, MechWarriors are known to shut down the Blue Shield if there are no enemy units wielding PPCs, reactivating it if a PPC-equipped foe arrives.

This would be an EXCELLENT module. It doesn't require graphics or anything that would take time to make and could give some help to counter PPCs like ECM is for LRMs. Not so hard penalty though. But if it even halved the damage and/or spread it to larger area, it would be worth the module slot. Lesser effect vs. ERPPC of course. The unreliability of the device is excellent because you can't use it long or it starts to break down so it can be easily made not OP.

Any thoughts Thomas?

Edited by Rasc4l, 29 January 2014 - 01:38 PM.

#12 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

View PostThomas Dziegielewski, on 29 January 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

It sure is 3051. Corrected.

Could you qualify why you are further neutering LRM's?

I'm a bit confused on this.

It's pretty evident that LRM's are not in heavy use, and are really only usable against players who don't know what they are doing (and very unlikely to have Chaff or the Adv Module when available) or when you are in a 4 man group specifically built to use LRM's (which is still likely taking advatange of PUGs).

#13 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

So... the list of counters for LRM's.

AMS.

Chaff.

Regular Missile Warning.

Super Missile Warning.

ECM.

Am I missing anything?

#14 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

View PostRasc4l, on 29 January 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

I had to login just to like and reply to this. The text behind the link is here:

In 3051,[1] the Federated Commonwealth started development of the Blue Shield Particle Field Damper, a defensive system that would reduce damage from PPCs. The New Avalon Institute of Science produced its prototype in 3053. While the field damper did shield the equipped unit from PPC fire, it was also notoriously unreliable in ground units. After roughly a minute of operation, the dust and other miscellaneous debris it sucked in began to adversely affect the operation of the damper, eventually resulting in shutdown of the system.[2] To delay this problem, MechWarriors are known to shut down the Blue Shield if there are no enemy units wielding PPCs, reactivating it if a PPC-equipped foe arrives.

This would be an EXCELLENT module. It doesn't require graphics or anything that would take time to make and could give some help to counter PPCs like ECM is for LRMs. Not so hard penalty though. But if it even halved the damage and/or spread it to larger area, it would be worth the module slot. Lesser effect vs. ERPPC of course. The unreliability of the device is excellent because you can't use it long or it starts to break down so it can be easily made not OP.

Any thoughts Thomas?
And any thoughts on scrapping those anti LRM modules, or implementing equally logical anti slas, flamer, and pulse laser modules?

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 29 January 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

AMS.

Chaff.

Regular Missile Warning.

Super Missile Warning.

ECM.

Am I missing anything?
The S and A/D keys (move backward and to one side).

#15 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 29 January 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

AMS.

Chaff.

Regular Missile Warning.

Super Missile Warning.

ECM.

Am I missing anything?

Terrain and buildings.

#16 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

Also, releasing spacebar (thanks, gravity!)

#17 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

Why are we receiving so many new ways to screw over LRM's, which are already pretty bad?

Because they dont want us to use anything but ballistics.

#18 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Point to you folks.

But seriously, do they not play their own game at all? Or is it that when they do, they die to LRM's because they are bad at it?

#19 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

View PostCYBRN4CR, on 29 January 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

Armored Core Kojima shield anyone? :D Oh no reason at all. Poll started. :lol:

Oh yeah, NARC, the thing that is still going to be a giant pain to use and probably get light's killed enmasse when they have to get up close and shoot a slow as hell beacon at a mech.

I revel in light mechs having to get within 400m of me.

Right now they are all sniping at me from 800+m.

Edited by Nicholas Carlyle, 29 January 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#20 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 29 January 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

Right now they are all sniping at me from 800+m.

I apologize for carrying a PPC in a Jenner.

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 29 January 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

Point to you folks.

But seriously, do they not play their own game at all? Or is it that when they do, they die to LRM's because they are bad at it?

I assume there's an LRM buff somewhere along the line. You don't randomly do things like this without a purpose (but, PGI outsmarting itself has happened many times).

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users