#41 Chemie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:11 AM

View Poststjobe, on 29 January 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:

Which works decently well in an open field and with clear battle lines. Not so hot in close quarters, with enemies all around, and LRMs going off all over the place.

I mean, I do it as well (a remnant of playing a light in closed beta; one eye on the enemy, one eye on the sky), but it's far from failproof.

As for the rest of the breakdown I'm most worried about the "all aspects of a weapon" bit and what associated penalties there will be. Hopefully they've thought it through and there will be no "30m extra range but the beam is pink" style modules (as in, no real disadvantage).

Also, won't this make balancing weapons even harder than it already is?

If you have LRMs coming from all over, then first you are dead and second how will this module tell you something other than LRMs are coming from mutiple places and you should be finding cover (which you should be doing anyway)

#42 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:56 AM

Ballistics are the only weapon type that;
have no linked heat penalties,
that does 100% damage to the point it hits,
has ammo that doesn't explode making ammo placement or C.A.S.E a pointless consideration,
does damage 3x beyond optimal range,
produces little heat,
causes knock and blinding effects,
has higher crit chances,
is the only weapon type that can be boated effectively,
etc.

View PostKhobai, on 29 January 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

Because they dont want us to use anything but ballistics.

But the game is more balanced now than it ever was....

....if you want every competitive build to rely on ballistics or only 2 PPC+Ballistics. Every other weapon be damned.

Edited by TB Freelancer, 30 January 2014 - 04:57 AM.

#43 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:29 AM

View PostcSand, on 29 January 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

Well, while you're freaking out about things that haven't even been implemented yet, and drawing wacky conclusions about things with no factual base, we'll be happily testing some (potentially tasty) new changes next week.

Honest question, do you even play? Or is your game ForumWarrior Online?

I assure you I play. I'm not amazing, but I win more than I lose when I'm actually trying. And I never play the Meta.

And I've been doing this long enough to see the trends with PGI. I'm sorry you aren't able to put 2 and 2 together.

I just don't understand why after months of minor changes that really don't change anything, their decision is to fix NARC...in such a way that it probably will continue to not be used. And then add more LRM counters...which basically counter the NARC change.

So we're right back where we started.

Basically, unless it's fixing SRM hit detection, PGI should NOT be focused on missiles at all right now.

#44 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

View PostSandpit, on 29 January 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

Make chaff a consumable.
Let NARC and TAG bypass chaff

It would then change what you have to take and make things more useful all the way around. I think it would change a few dynamics without nerfing LRMs much

I can see chaff as being a one time consumable, but because you only get protected once the entire match I don't think anything should be able to bypass it. Otherwise nobody would ever use it because ALL missiles boats use TAG!

#45 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostChemie, on 30 January 2014 - 04:11 AM, said:

If you have LRMs coming from all over, then first you are dead and second how will this module tell you something other than LRMs are coming from mutiple places and you should be finding cover (which you should be doing anyway)

The LRMs criss-crossing the sky aren't necessarily all aimed at me, and this module will tell me WHICH of all the LRMs that are flying around are aimed at me - so I can more easily find proper cover.

The Mk. I Eyeball won't do that as easily, was my point.

#46 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

View Poststjobe, on 30 January 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

The LRMs criss-crossing the sky aren't necessarily all aimed at me, and this module will tell me WHICH of all the LRMs that are flying around are aimed at me - so I can more easily find proper cover.

It's safer to hide from all missiles coming in your general direction, due to missile speeds.

#47 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 January 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

It's safer to hide from all missiles coming in your general direction, due to missile speeds.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
  Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
  Rode the six hundred.
- The Charge of the Light Brigade, Alfred, Lord Tennyson, 1854

My point, again, was that if they're coming from all over the place, a module that tells me which specific set of missiles is heading my way is a big advantage.

Edited by stjobe, 30 January 2014 - 01:02 PM.

#48 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

LRMs DON'T NEED MORE COUNTERS!!!!!!!!!!!

For God's sake we are just seeing some use for them, and they're already one of the most complicated system in the game with an ALREADY DEDICATED COUNTER ALREADY IN PLACE.

Unless one of these weapon modules lets you entirely negate this stuff, WE REALLY DON'T NEED *2* NEW FREAKING COUNTERS to this gun. It already weighs more and uses ammo than other weapon systems and ALREADY can be cut in half with AMS and ALREADY can be countered with ECM and ALREADY Forces you to take a module (Adv. Target Decay) and carry at least 25-30 missiles to crack AMS and ALREADY has a limit of 2 primary launchers with Ghost Heat (and you need to fire all LRMs at the same time to crack JUST AMS)...

Just COME ON.

EDIT: No idea why the spacing is haywire. It looks fine in the edit.

Edited by Victor Morson, 30 January 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#49 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

View Poststjobe, on 30 January 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

My point, again, was that if they're coming from all over the place, a module that tells me which specific set of missiles is heading my way is a big advantage.

TBH, I've simply dubbed the module, the Newbie Lurm Detector. I'm sure it'll work as intended, but I'm not sure if it'll teach newbies how to get cover.

Edited by Deathlike, 30 January 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#50 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

View Poststjobe, on 30 January 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

Does this situation ever actually occur in real games?

#51 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

Chaff and Mechs is lame - once you deploy Chaff, your visibility and weapons should be impacted negatively because you cannot see with the same clarity as having NOT used chaff.

Radar obscuring smoke, now that makes sense to implement. Chaff is better for aerospace - oh, wait, no aerospace in MW:O. Sorry.

#52 Lupin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 955 posts
  • LocationKent, UK.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:16 AM

They should be introducing the laser version of AMS first:
http://www.sarna.net...-Missile_System

As for:
"Advanced Missile Warning System Module
-When equipped this module will allow a pilot to know the distance and possibly vector to the nearest missile threat.
-We are still slinging around ideas on how to best show this to a pilot but have narrowed it down to a few possibilities."

1. Look out of the cockpit it's quicker.
2. Does this sound like dumbing down SRM/LRM for new players?
3. Here is an example of useless information. SRM reported, where 100m behind you 1s after fired.

#53 Viges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

Yey new tech to fight the INVADERS! :D

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users