Cockpit Glass - Direction Of Effect

4 replies to this topic

#1 Flyto

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:02 AM

This is probably heresy on this forum, but I really love the cockpit glass glare effect. HOWEVER - it seems to work the wrong way around.

If I am driving in my car, and I drive towards the sun (or towards oncoming headlights) with a dirty windscreen, I can barely see where I'm going. If the sun is behind me, there's no problem at all.

But when I tested this out in my Shadowhawk on HPG Manifold (a map where the light source is actually visible in the sky), if I look towards the sun the glass is perfectly clear... but if I turn my back to it, then there is lots of glare - despite the fact that the glass should be shadowed by the back of my mech!

Maybe the effect could benefit from being toned down a little, but at the least, please could it be reversed? ;-)

#2 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

Hey Flyto, I noticed this as well! I created a support ticket and this is the answer I received:

The problem you have encountered is a known issue and we hope to have it fixed soon. Given cockpit glass is a new addition, there are definitely some adjustments to be made as we move forward. Stay tuned for more details as they are available!

It doesn't make a lot of sense, since the window is in a shadow when you are facing away from the light source, but, that's when it is most illuminated.
However there is a problem where the cockpits aren't completed sealed shut for whatever reason, and we also get the behind light shining through. I really don't like this either.

We'll see how things look tomorrow, hopefully they tackled the direction of it while they tweaked the intensity of the effect.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 03 February 2014 - 08:08 AM.

#3 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

As MoonUnitBeta pointed out, when playing in 1PV the back of your cockpit is actually open (why render something you can never see). If you could turn your head 180° you'd see out the back. That's why, when the sun is behind you, you see this intense glare on some maps.

#4 Flyto

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

View PostIronwithin, on 03 February 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

As MoonUnitBeta pointed out, when playing in 1PV the back of your cockpit is actually open (why render something you can never see).

I'd say that this is an excellent reason! :-)
But even if I were actually sitting in a 360 degree bubble on top of the mech (is there one like that?), it would still be wrong, because the dirt and scratches should be illuminated when the sun is in *front* of me, not behind me.

#5 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

well at least it is being fixed.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users