104 replies to this topic

#1 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

gentlemen and ladies,

out of curiosity how many galaxies are interested in some honorable duels?

1v1 till the last mech stands, unless it turns into a grand melee....

bid whatever you wish and your honor will be awarded in kind, 4 light, 3 medium , 2 heavy, 1 assault.

everyone gets to fight everyone, for honor cookies, and laughs.

anyone interested feel free to post here or on our forum HPG, i will have made a post in the public section to see how many of my brothers are interested

as of now we meet weekly on Saturday probably around 4pm EST.

Rules;

there may be more rules as we develop however and perhaps we can have 2v2's or something to change things up a little and keep things interesting, however until we get things rolling smoothly i aim to keep things simple.

try to stay out of the way of the others,

lowest tonnage gets to choose duel location,

no team kills,

fight with honor and respect.

1 ac/20, 1 Gauss, 2 AC/10, and 2 PPC limits (to a limit of 25 direct fire pinpoint alpha?) as well as a limit of 20 total LRM tubes? (if we agree on having the weapon, i am still on the fence.)

example; AC/10+PPC, single ac/20 or gauss, single LRM 20, or 4 LRM 5.

ac/20+ac/10 would be illegal.

i also would like to restrict the AC/5x2+PPCx2 loadout (30 pinpoint), as it would break the intention to limit ballistics and single panel alphas, however any combination of AC/5/2 and others are fine.

i want to be fair without being overly limited. streaks/locking weapons are probably one of the first things to bid out, cutdown? Quineg.

lowest tonnage or lowest bidder chooses dueling location, first come first served.

i do not think airstrikes are tools that should be used in honorable duels thus are banned, TAG and ECM are negotiable, as are any weapon, like streaks.

if a duelist feels cutdown the challenger can bid away weapons or add restrictions to suit in some relation to how heavy the player is, vs how light the challenger is or they may find another challenger or issue another challenge to re-balance the fight.

Seyla
zudukai

Edited by zudukai, 08 February 2014 - 03:10 PM.

#2 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:37 PM

Would love to... if I was not up to my eyeballs in study material. Apparently helicopters do not fly themselves, and the written test is about 40 years out of date. Gyrocopters are not Helicopters, so why must I answer these stravag questions? >_< Perhaps another Nova Cat would throw his hat into the pile.

#3 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:14 AM

You might use.. You know.. your "vision quests".. :unsure:

However, i am highly interested in this, i will post this in my Clan forums.

Is this open to single warriors, quiaff?

Edited by CyclonerM, 25 December 2013 - 03:14 AM.

#4 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:08 AM

Aff.

I hope to gather enough warriors to run duels for as long as possible, I can almost guarantee 5 adders, so if we make when we make 24, we can begin.

"gather round, hold your glasses up high, drink to love kin, while we wait, for high tide lift off"

Edited by zudukai, 25 December 2013 - 06:17 AM.

#5 sansDaedalus

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 24 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:16 AM

I would be happy to join if time allows. I will speak to the other Ghost Bears and see if any others are interested.

#6 Tuann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 203 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard, with a beer, chocolate and waffles

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:27 AM

Posted it in the Clan forum

#7 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:47 AM

I am always happy to find an honorable opponent, count me in

Edited by Lucky Moniker, 25 December 2013 - 08:47 AM.

#8 RuzzBot

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

Timezones permitting, this ghost bear will gladly join in!

#9 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

Hopefully sometimes we could organize Trials of Possessions between Clans.. I still have not had a chance to fight a full Zellbrigen battle vs a Clan :)

P.S. that would require a detailed agreement on Zell rules.

#10 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

in CGB we have our own standardized agreement on Zell, but im sure every clan has a slightly different take

#11 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

View PostLucky Moniker, on 25 December 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

in CGB we have our own standardized agreement on Zell, but im sure every clan has a slightly different take

That was exactly the point when we tried to make standard rules on Strana Mechty. Sadly it all went down without noise..

#12 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

its pretty simple as we see it really.
1v1, do not intentionally take cover, ecm interferes with others nearby so we dont bring it, thats about it, legging is okay seeing as it is not as cheap as it was in some other games in the past, and clanners do leg targets if they can, it is viable. if they overheat, your choice if you want to shoot them, it is no loss of honor seeing as they failed to manage their own heat (the rules about shut down mechs was regarding mechs not yet powered up, not ones overheating)

Edited by Lucky Moniker, 25 December 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#13 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

now as for the method of calling targets, setting teams etc. we have nothing, all of our Zellbrigen takes place in a trial setting, fully controlled, so no open Zell battles

#14 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

Open Zell battles is something iw ould love to try. Maybe the CO could assign a target to each warrior or at turn each warrior of the attacking side picks an opponent opening fire on him. Opening fire on more than one opponents leds to a grand melee..

The most annoying issue about the rules is the "No-legging". I know Clanners in the lore often hit an enemy's leg but once we agreed to duel in a 12vs12 vs the Kentares Scorpions i think, and as soon as i stated my duel the other guy started shooting with a lot of ACs my legs. In just 3 seconds one was destroyed with relative ammo exploded. After a few seconds the other one exploded. It seems a bit too easy to leg an opponent. I would say let us put it at vote.

My opinion is that you show no skill destroying a leg in two shots with 2 AC/20 for example. No skill. A Zell duel IMHO should be mor eabout DPS. If you are against a medium, heavy or assault legging is really easy. I am fine with legging against lights thought.

That or we may ban cheese builds like 2AC/20 or say 3/4 ERPPCs.. Tapping and destroying a component is not a show of skill. It is no brain. Definitely not what a Clan honor duel is about, quiaff?
Thoughts?

#15 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

i think banning cheese is a better idea, or at least bringing cheese is a serious loss of honor, but it could be hard where we draw the line. but otherwise yeah that could work. i personally vote towards as soon as someone fires on a target then you have it, not assign targets before hand.
matching weight (full drop deck weight) could be good, then bidding down weight or even mechs could occur.

i mentioned this as part of a clan league idea on my forums in the past. Clan A could announce an attack on Clan B, Clan B then decides the drop weight for the deck, and the attacking force could bid for the right to attack (sacrificing weight or numbers as i mentioned above).

#16 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostLucky Moniker, on 25 December 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

i think banning cheese is a better idea, or at least bringing cheese is a serious loss of honor, but it could be hard where we draw the line. but otherwise yeah that could work. i personally vote towards as soon as someone fires on a target then you have it, not assign targets before hand.
matching weight (full drop deck weight) could be good, then bidding down weight or even mechs could occur.

i mentioned this as part of a clan league idea on my forums in the past. Clan A could announce an attack on Clan B, Clan B then decides the drop weight for the deck, and the attacking force could bid for the right to attack (sacrificing weight or numbers as i mentioned above).

Oh well actually we usually ban cheese builds and our duels often last longer than 1,PUM, 2, PUM, 3 kill. And they are fun to see and fight.

I vote for not assigning targets before the battle as well.

For bidding (very interesting thing to do) the attacker Clan unit may bid a lower tonnage instead of numbers (in MWO that may make a match too imbalanced).

#17 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

Yeah I agree, with Zell you can have a imbalanced team, extra mechs would wait for an opponent to open up, but yes it would still be a large advantage, but a particularly aggressive commander might try it

#18 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostLucky Moniker, on 25 December 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

Yeah I agree, with Zell you can have a imbalanced team, extra mechs would wait for an opponent to open up, but yes it would still be a large advantage, but a particularly aggressive commander might try it

Well actually we need to try it and see if an aggressive commander might win with less 'Mechs at his disposal. I still thinks bidding for example 670 tons vs 720 could be interesting as well :)

#19 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

The following is one of the three Trials of Position methods we utilize within our unit and the five sessions we have run were a blast to say the least.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Each pilot will be allowed to pilot any Mech from 30 - 80 tons of their choosing with the following restrictions:

Option 1 - Standard ToP

Each pilot and Blood Officer opponent will employ:

No LRM
No Streak Missile
No more than 1 x AC20 mounted
No consumable modules (Artillery, UAV, AirStrike, Coolant etc)
No ECM

All other weapons/equipment configurations are authorized, pending changes to the game which would cause the unit leaders to modify these restrictions.

The candidate's opponent will have the same restrictions and fight anonymously. The candidate will not know who they are actually facing.

We have seen all kinds of Mechs and loadouts utilized for our ToPs given these restrictions and as they are duels, "cheesebuilds" are not always the best for that kind of fight. That being said, pinpoint/ballistic builds will likely maintain an edge but still you can do alot with the above restrictions. We have pilots who would enjoy the opportunity to practice for their ToP's using such an event without their dueling tendencies being seen directly by potential opponent Blood Officers if that makes sense.

Smoke Adders could likely field 8-12 for this depending on the "when" of it, just as we did for the FRR-Yuletide tournament.

Would this be a 12v12 with Zell or perhaps a 12v12 synch with individual duels conducted (and yes, there is a difference imo)?

#20 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

View PostLukoi, on 25 December 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

Would this be a 12v12 with Zell or perhaps a 12v12 synch with individual duels conducted (and yes, there is a difference imo)?
i was hoping for individual duals, however if we can agree on a minimum zell we could run 12's on 12's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users