_-* Most Disappointing Games *-_

160 replies to this topic

#81 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts
  • LocationKrogan homeworld of Tuchanka. Wait, different universe.

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

View PostTechnocide Rex, on 15 December 2011 - 02:24 PM, said:

Easy. Mechassault. Poor copy of MW with lousy customization, online play, and controls.

I don't understand. MA sucked to you because you expected MW5 on the Xbox. It was meant to be a diversion from the obnoxious bro shooters like COD or BF, and it did a great job. Your choice is based on biased preferance and bandwagoning.

Edited by Lord Trogus, 13 January 2012 - 10:19 PM.

#82 revanus

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

Mass Effect 2.

I loved the first game. It was dark, immersive, and epic. It was a great RPG, in the KoToR vein. I loved the armor intricacies, the different brand camo patterns, and the sense of a cataclysm bearing down and making everything seem desperate.

In Mass Effect 2, we got a game that had a story, but had abandoned the RPG. Inventory didn't exist. Helmets could not be swapped on and off without visiting the ship. It didn't matter what I collected or grabbed--I could autopilot my way to equipment and combat victory.

And most of my original storyline was irrelevant. Liara was an entirely different character. Grunt is a horrible replacement for Wrex. Mining sucked. There was no real villain, except for the nebulous existential threat of a Reaper invasion. And it was tiring to fight the same bunch of collectors over and over again. The storyline had no real twists, other than the shape of the ultimate boss.

All in all, I finished the game, and felt gipped.

#83 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:08 AM

Master of Orion 3 hands down.

#84 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

I would say the MechAssault games to fit in *so alone* But that wouldn't be true. They were functional and had some good points. Were they MW5? Nope, but then again they weren't meant to be. MA, MA2, and MA3 were meant to be console and hand held games respectively. So many of MWs characteristic traits were dumbed down. Alot. But they did work. For methe most fail game I've ever played was a legendary stinker. Superman 64. WORST. RENTAL. EVER.

#85 Perfecto Oviedo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 207 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

The Force Unleashed II.

I went against my better judgement for new games and bought it a day or so after it was released, and I loved the first Force Unleashed. The sequal was somehow shorter than the original (my only big complaint about the first game), the combat cutscenes were repetitive as all get-out (not to say the TFU 1 didn't have repetitiveness, but it at least had different animations for if you used push, lightning, or lightsaber against the minibosses), and the Darth Vader fight was just...UUUGGGGHHHH so bad.

#86 Ironheart

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

Most stuff from Bioware. Everytime I have high expectations, but then...
The most memorable ones were Neverwinter Night 1 (I liked both expansions), Jade Empire, and Knights of the old Republic 1 and 2

Neverwinter Night 1 was just basically like this. Go to any direction, collect whatever quest item you need, continue for every other direction, usually 3 out of 4. And all those useless skills...
Knights of the old Republic took everything I loved and made it a boring D&D RPG that's downright stupid, overblown, slow, and unresponsive. Too bad studios seem to only balance multiplayer (somewhat).
Jade Empire was just ... I like to pretend it never existed. The story was the only thing that made me play it through, and even it became almost unbearable halfway through. Almost like Transformers 3.

#87 Azalie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 341 posts
  • LocationThe Warp

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

The most disappointing game for me was ET: The Extra Terrestrial for the Atari. Why goes without saying as it's often called the "Worst game of all time"

But for a more modern example CnC4. I didn't even bother buying it after I heard about what they did to the franchise.

#88 ENDMYSUFFERING

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 180 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

Gonna go with alot of reviewers, and say Modern Warfare 3. It's just MW2.005, really. same graphics and all, and, not to sound like a troll, but... I also question the people screaming about how very realistic COD is, considering I can stick a throwing knife into a concrete wall. Right, that's pretty realistic.

#89 Perfecto Oviedo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 207 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostIronheart, on 15 January 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

Knights of the old Republic took everything I loved and made it a boring D&D RPG that's downright stupid, overblown, slow, and unresponsive.

I did like the KotOR series (too each his own, etc.) but I would have to say that, compared to KotOR 1, KotOR 2 (vanilla) was such a rushed, disappointing let-down.
However, after I added a restoration mod that added in a lot of things that were coded in the game but not activated retail (or something like that), and used a mod to skip the freaking Peragus opening, I loved it. And that Is why I stear away from console gaming whenever I can. (Skyrim would be driving me insane if I had it for my XBox).

And speaking of The Elder Scrolls, and a bit retrospectively, I was very disappointed by Oblivion. And I don't mean compared to Skyrim (because, duh), but compared to Morrowind (which I played after Oblivion). The shear amount of things you can do in that game was insane, and the modding community fixed so many broken things in that game (like the combat). The only really bad thing about Morrowind for me is that I can't stand to play it vanilla. Oblivion, I just couldn't keep my interest with it.

EDIT: Also, with Morrowind, Bethesda was apparently against the idea of running. It's an interesting aspect of the Elder Scrolls games (at least starting with Morrowind) that they do things right that the other games messed up spectacularly, but end up screwing something up that either was originally in the series, or was working fine in a previous game and they just broke it.

Edited by Perfecto Oviedo, 17 January 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#90 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

Halo: Reach

Take one step off the path in this "open, expansive environment" and a 10sec kill-timer pops up. That, and all the invisible walls just drove me mad.

#91 Stone Profit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant Colonel
  • Leftenant Colonel
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

Spore. It could have been so awesome. But as soon as you got into space, the game started to suck. It could have been Age of Empires with your own creations, but instead became very very lame very very fast. so bad, in fact, that I returned the game. and Im generally too lazy to return a game.

#92 Truck Thunders

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSpace Truckin'

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

Back when I used to buy/play a lot of games, I never really followed any gamer news, and just sort of bought what looked good. I ended up with a lot of disposable games and a few gems that I kept playing for years. But there was one thing that always eluded me: a good, all-encompassing space action-RPG, like Master of Orion 2 but from a first-preson perspective. There were some options, but none worked for me; Freelancer was so dumbed down it was retarded (though I did still play it a lot because it was the only thing I could get), I had no way of getting Wing Commander: Privateer to work on my system, and the X games honestly just held no interest for me; as someone once described them, they are hardcore economic simulators with no real life or atmosphere to them.

Then one day I thought I had found it: a game that promised the ability to fight on the ground as a footsoldier or a tanker, or across the stars as a fighter/bomber pilot or even *gasp* a SPACESHIP COMMANDER?! In a realistic space combat setting?! There was no way this could be true! I bought the game without a second thought and rushed home to play it.

That game was, unfortunately, Universal Combat. And having never followed gamer news or culture, I had no idea that Derek Smart was an awful, awful person who released s***ty, incomprehensible games.

I spent six hours trying to do something and accomplishing jack squat. I had no idea how anything worked or what anything did or what I was supposed to do. It was only after six frustrating hours that I realized there was no getting anywhere with this byzantine monster of a game on my own and I would have to consult the manual, which turned out to be 300 pages and useless. Finally, I quietly removed the CD, uninstalled the game and returned to a heavily modded but still laughably simple and stupid Freelancer, weeping silently as my dream of an open world action-rpg ride through the stars shriveled and died.

(By the way, years later I would discover the Frontier games (Elite 2 and First Encounters), but by then I had lost the patience to play a real hardcore space RPG.)

Oh, and one other thing:

View PostElizander, on 14 January 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

Master of Orion 3 hands down.

Good lord, this. This was the one game I found out about in advance and waited for with baited breath for almost three years before it came out, only to be presented with a godawful unworkable mess of a game. I was at least able to get somewhere with it, unlike Universal Combat, but I felt like I was fighting the game to do what I wanted half the time rahter than playing it.

Edited by Truck Thunders, 19 January 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#93 Stone Profit

• Leftenant Colonel
  • Leftenant Colonel
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

View PostTruck Thunders, on 19 January 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

I spent six hours trying to do something and accomplishing jack squat. I had no idea how anything worked or what anything did or what I was supposed to do. It was only after six frustrating hours that I realized there was no getting anywhere with this byzantine monster of a game on my own and I would have to consult the manual, which turned out to be 300 pages and useless. Finally, I quietly removed the CD, uninstalled the game and returned to a heavily modded but still laughably simple and stupid Freelancer, weeping silently as my dream of an open world action-rpg ride through the stars shriveled and died.

Dude freelancer was AWESOME! I loved that game anyone know if itll run on vista?

#94 Daneiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 490 posts
  • LocationSheridan

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

I will place on first place Dragon Age 2 - that was pure robbery 50 euros !!!!! ;)
2nd place - Mechwarrior 4 - too many steps back from MW3 and even from the older MW2
3th place Star Wars The Old Republic - total .............
There is few more wasnt worth the money i spend , but i think these are enough .
P.S. i am totaly agree about silent hunter 4 and 5 ;) - but i was smart enought to wait and see them at my friends before buy them !!!!

Edited by daneiel varna, 19 January 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#95 Miles Tails Prower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationStrike Cruiser: "Fury of Descent"

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

I wouldn't really label ET as a disappointing game. Disappointment implies that you were expecting it to be good, but surprised you and turned out to be bad. I don't think anyone was like "YES! E freakin T! Oh yeah this is what I have been WAITING for!"

#96 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

I forgot this one. Star Wars Galaxies

This MMO was originally built for users to customize their own experience and make SW they wanted it to be with 35 classes you could mix and match skills to make nearly endless variations of skill sets and progression. Unfortunately it was bleedding subscribers because of lack of content and unaddressed bugs so numerous that the dev teams probably couldnt address them all and the bugs were affecting game play badly. Plus, its profits were being split between Sony and Lucas Arts who each had large dev teams. With 200k subscribers, management saw the success of other titles like Wow and decided to overhaul in game into more of a shooter for casual players. Arguably this was the right decision because as it was SWG was unmangable, expensive, and doomed to be short lived.

However, the players had worked for 2 years to develop characters, homes, businesses, guilds, cities, and generally established their online lives in what was for them a deep, immersive, user-driven experience. But those same characteristics were killing SWG. It was unfriendly to casual and young gamers. So SOE and Lucas Arts rolled out the overhaul with barely 2 weeks warning and litarally erased the community. They failed to engage the community and make them part of the process, failed to win their support, and failed to listen.

Was it the right decision? I believe that the game had to change or it was going to fail because of its bugs and lack of content. But its the players who spread word of mouth, its the players who pay the bills, and its the players who were devoted to SW, to their friends in the game, and who invested alot.. and who were betrayed by management who treated them like loose cannons rather than fans.

For those who werent there, its not easy to summarize. Suffice to say that SOE and Lucas Arts were lambasted by general media, by the gaming media, in thousands of blogs, and by the players many of whom refuse to play SOE games to this day. The personal impact was huge as well. Many liken it to the death of a loved one with stages of grief very similar.

Personally, I loved the game until they did this. Its been several years and I still refuse to play any SOE game.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 19 January 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#97 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

View PostLord Trogus, on 13 January 2012 - 10:11 PM, said:

I don't understand. MA sucked to you because you expected MW5 on the Xbox. It was meant to be a diversion from the obnoxious bro shooters like COD or BF, and it did a great job. Your choice is based on biased preferance and bandwagoning.

MA was barely MW. It was fun and successful but it made fun of BT. To someone who is a fan of the BT and even MW, MA is a disappointing, arcadized kiddie game. In the same way Lego Star Wars is fun but its nothing like the true genre and it offends those who take it seriously. lol there was even one guy on Mektek's board who was laughed off the board for saying that MA was the best iteration of MW ever. (looks at you know who)

Edited by LakeDaemon, 19 January 2012 - 05:22 PM.

#98 Stahlseele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

MicroSofts Shadowrun.

#99 JP Josh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • Locationsteam- jp josh

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

the biggest single most dissipointment to me ever was the World of Tanks its fun and all but the farkers ask for way to mutch money for all the things that hold intrest. like type-59 and all that now that they taken it off the shelf because noobs that dont know the meaning of "tracked and Ammo racked" when really the T-54 is the same tank also the platoon system and every other part also wish the tanks had i bit of realism to them really the sherman only had two inches of front armer and all the french tanks were paper. so mutch rage at thegame duno why i keep going back when they realeas updates.

#100 Tyzh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 495 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

View PostZervziel, on 14 January 2012 - 08:52 PM, said:

Superman 64. WORST. RENTAL. EVER.

Oh. My. Gundam. I forgot ALL ABOUT that game. It was, in fact, HORRIBLE. Good lord. XD

25 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users