_-* Most Disappointing Games *-_

160 replies to this topic

#101 Carter XIII

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

Chromeshounds...great game, the disappointment being from sega closing its servers and leaving the game for dead.

Less futuristic than MW,but also more customizable(you build your mech from the ground up, do what tank tracks, or legs? how many legs do you want? etc). You could come up with some pretty complex designs. The controls (xbox controller), gameplay wise were very simple though, more simple than they needed to be.

Edited by Carter XIII, 19 January 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#102 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

anything involving a wii motion controller. seriously, *** happened to nintendo....

#103 Smackfiend

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Oblivion, ME2 (I heard so much about it, and I was so dissapointed when it was ported to ps3...lame hand-holding all the way through) and Red Dead Redemption (zzzzzzzzzz...)

#104 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

To be honest, I was very disappointed with Du-

[ACCOUNT SUSPENDED]

#105 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts
  • LocationKrogan homeworld of Tuchanka. Wait, different universe.

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

View Postrevanus, on 14 January 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

Mass Effect 2.

I loved the first game. It was dark, immersive, and epic. It was a great RPG, in the KoToR vein. I loved the armor intricacies, the different brand camo patterns, and the sense of a cataclysm bearing down and making everything seem desperate.

In Mass Effect 2, we got a game that had a story, but had abandoned the RPG. Inventory didn't exist. Helmets could not be swapped on and off without visiting the ship. It didn't matter what I collected or grabbed--I could autopilot my way to equipment and combat victory.

And most of my original storyline was irrelevant. Liara was an entirely different character. Grunt is a horrible replacement for Wrex. Mining sucked. There was no real villain, except for the nebulous existential threat of a Reaper invasion. And it was tiring to fight the same bunch of collectors over and over again. The storyline had no real twists, other than the shape of the ultimate boss.

All in all, I finished the game, and felt gipped.

I find it funny everyone trolls about how ME2 was somehow less of an RPG than the original. The ammo powers are there, in a new, more streamlined format, you can actually change certain components of armor rather than having to constantly replace the last with another, generic suit, and you didn't have to constantly cycle through new, "upgraded versions" of the exact same gun. Rather, you could just keep your favorite weapon (which had entirely new and exciting formats, such as a rapid fire Shotty as compared to a giant, Krogan BFG) and upgrade that instead of having to constantly renovate every time you take upgrades from an item box...

Also, although a normative statement, I found the gravity of your choices ingame to be much greater than the original, (trying not to include too many spoilers) such as choosing to cure a certain species' reproduction-crippling disease or allowing it to reside, or rewriting/destroying an entire complex of advanced AI killing machines.

As to Liara, she was the epitome of a stereotypical, submissive "yes sir" girl in the first Mass Effect. No real character, no motive for even helping (aside from family issues in the beginning), completely bland character. In ME2, she actually serves for a purpose. Now she is getting flack for not being the iconic alien man-fetish she once was. In my opinion, this was a perfect rewrite for a character that didn't even need to exist to begin with.

Finally, revanus, did you even finish a quarter of the side plots? If I recall correctly Shepard fights the Collectors three times in a few major battles, all of which required thought and were quite difficult, even on veteran setting. There is an enormous amount of content even aside from the side-character plots, including a vehicle that completely rewrote the horrible mistake that was the dreaded Mako. ME2 retained all of the core RPG elements from the first, and it even went as far as to expand on your personal, previous adventure in the first.

All in all, this game deserves none of the criticism you mentioned above. Yes, Grunt was bad, I agree. But he was there for a purpose. Wrex will be master and commander of the biggest, baddest army helping you fight the Reapers in ME3, that is, if you decide it's worth playing :)

Edited by Lord Trogus, 21 January 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#106 revanus

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

I disagree. The game was a step backward from the first Mass Effect.

Take, for example, the idea of ammo clips. According to the game story, ammo clips are a technological improvement. But anyone who played the first game all the way through knows they suck. Why? Because, just like in battletech, it's fairly easy to effectively manage heat levels. A gun that can fire an infinite amount of three second bursts is far better than a gun that has to reload every thirty shots, but Mass Effect 2 gives us the clip system and expects us to believe it's better. At end game of ME1, I had an assault rifle that could manage really powerful, long bursts of sustained fire and was almost impossible to overheat. In ME2, I had to be worried about constantly finding reloads, as a lot of my preferred guns came with low total ammo capacity.

Equipment-wise, the game takes a major blow. There's absolutely no excitement when it comes to finding equipment or items. Unlike in the first game, Shephard is the only person who wears variable armor. We're expected to believe that Miranda would wear leather into full combat, while boosting armor values and protection tends to come through skill points. I didn't find that fun, and I didn't find that believable. It hamstringed my playstyle and worked against my immersion.

Essentially, improving your equipment consists of walking around on various maps, finding the designated upgrade schematic, and "getting" a new gun or armor piece. No surprise, no variation--just an insta-upgrade.

Would I buy the game again? Absolutely. Did I enjoy playing it? Yes.

But it was the most disappointing game I played all year. I'm looking forward for Mass Effect 3 to wash the bad taste away :).

#107 BoyarKnight

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

I found Modern Warfare 3 wasn't a disappointment because I never thought it would be good.

#108 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts
  • LocationKrogan homeworld of Tuchanka. Wait, different universe.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

I suppose this is a matter of preferance then. I really liked the insta upgrade idea because it encourages you to try different fighting styles without having to constantly switch weapons that don't do much outside slightly altering accuracy and damage. You can keep your weapon of choice without having to change all the time. The guns are aesthetically different too, something ME1 completely lacked.

As for the other characters not wearing armor, you did notice they died awfully quickly after losing their shields? I think Bioware was trying to point out that every character deserves their own flashy outfit, not just spamming with level 10 Colossus/Predator armor. C'mon, you know you did it too :D

I invited the ammo clips with open arms after having been trolled by overloads and not being able to fire half my weapons. The biotics were hideous in ME1. Seriously, how many times can you get knocked over by a single enemy adept and be expected to shoot while sprawled out on the ground like a drunk? Combat wise, I thought the game was a notch up. I would never have played as a biotic if it weren't for the biotic charge. What skeptic can hate a game where you can effing throw yourself at people in a streak of lighting?? ;)

I do see where you're coming from though, and yes, they could have presented the inventory system more fashionably. I doubt the ammo clips will leave though, according to some of the screen shots I've seen. But does your overall evaluation stem from the smaller faux pas? No game is perfect, and this one had plenty of things to do in it.

Regardless, I'm stoked for the conclusion! Super Renegade with all Paragon decisions!

Edited by Lord Trogus, 22 January 2012 - 01:53 AM.

#109 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

I thought Armored Core 4 and AC4: Answer were going to be Battlemech games like the old armored Core games, but instead they were just twitchy flightsims. 'Might as well call them Mosquito Core.

#110 BenchmarK

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

View PostAtlas3060, on 15 November 2011 - 08:16 PM, said:

Spore made me cry. Well not really cry, but rather facepalm repeatedly because of the DRM and the rather rushed attempt to get your sorry gaming bottom to space them do... well that was about it.
Sure nuking a world was fun but after the 20th I stopped caring.

But surely EA can't hurt me any further! I mean they can't really destroy all the titles I love that they've bought or created?!
Then C&C4 came into being.
I went into a fetal position wondering when the next hit will come.

That's when I gave up on EA.
So many childhood memories of RA2. Such a good game. Then, Generals in all of its glory. Even C&C 3 was really good, though lacking the epic/memorable aspects of the other two.
RA3 is a total joke and makes me want to cry.
C&N4: whatthefuck.jpg?

#111 Treffies

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

I can never hate C&C4 after it gave me this: http://www.youtube.c...4bBaXYA#t=6m39s
It's so terrible it is beautiful. Guy just casually walks away in the sunny streets of miami with a t-shirt on.

Edited by Treffies, 24 January 2012 - 02:18 PM.

#112 Miles Tails Prower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationStrike Cruiser: "Fury of Descent"

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

Why does everyone hate Spore so much?

This is the first time I've heard so many people speak out against the game. The game earned an 84% on metacritic based on 75 reviews. I'm surprised to read so much antagonism to the game.

#113 Treffies

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

Have you even played the game? All the editors were great, there just wasn't anything you could do with anything you made.

#114 Miles Tails Prower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

View PostTreffies, on 24 January 2012 - 08:54 PM, said:

Have you even played the game? All the editors were great, there just wasn't anything you could do with anything you made.

You'd think that the scores would be lower if it were so obvious though.

#115 Treffies

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

scores =/= everything
everyone who's complained about it didn't like it. You can either accept that or go home.

#116 Miles Tails Prower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:13 PM

View PostTreffies, on 24 January 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

scores =/= everything
everyone who's complained about it didn't like it. You can either accept that or go home.

Which probably means that everyone who complained about it, are the minority.

#117 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:27 AM

View PostMiles Tails Prower, on 24 January 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

Why does everyone hate Spore so much?

This is the first time I've heard so many people speak out against the game. The game earned an 84% on metacritic based on 75 reviews. I'm surprised to read so much antagonism to the game.

The game was good, but had major issues like the fact it gets repetitive on the second play. All stages were short in the favor of the space one, which was bloody long. :)

#118 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostMiles Tails Prower, on 24 January 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

You'd think that the scores would be lower if it were so obvious though.

View PostMiles Tails Prower, on 24 January 2012 - 10:13 PM, said:

Which probably means that everyone who complained about it, are the minority.

This thread isn't about the scores, it is about games that were dissapointing to people.
Apparently some thought Spore just didn't reach the heights they wished.
Considering this came from Will Wright, basically sandbox game god, and it spans every evolutionary moment in life I could see why expectations were high.

#119 boogle

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

Without a doubt C&C 4 was the most disappointing game of all time; what a total piece of crap.

That said, I can't believe that some of you list Red Alert 3 among the disappointments. I very much enjoyed RA3, especially the three different build mechanics for the factions as well as making the MCV truly mobile. EA did kind of kill RA3, though, with an absolutely awful expansion (uprising) which was DL only and had no multiplayer capability.

#120 HeroicTofu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the Ford Galaxy

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

I would have to go with Final Fantasy XIV Online as my biggest disappointment in a game. Seeing as I was a fan of Final Fantasy XI Online, I had high hopes that we would get an incredibly, vastly updated FFXI, with superior graphics and gameplay. What we got was a final release that played like an Alpha with little story advancements (even 6 months in because I kept hoping for -something-), incredibly boring combat, terribly party mechanics.... The list goes on and on.

The graphics were beautiful looking (for an MMO), but because of how the worlds were designed, they are repeated terribly so in each zone. For example, in the areas outside of the forest city of Gridania, you'll come across the exact same architecture of hill that leads to upper area at least 30 times. Sure, it looks highly detailed but when you see it 30+ times, it loses it's luster.

Other disappointing games would have to be Dark Souls for me. I don't mind difficulty in video games. I've played many difficult games. But Dark Souls is just so brutally unforgiving at times that I just have to walk away. I've completed some of the Nintendo hard video games like the original Castlevania, Mega Man, Contra (without game genie or the like), but Dark Souls is just. My ...yeah.

Other then that, I've been pretty happy with my video games lately. I even like, *gasp*, Armored Core For Answer, even though the game is a totally different beast from the previous Armored Core games. I just take it for what it is and have fun with it. But I will admit, I absolutely look forward to Armored Core 5! It looks like it's going back to it's roots a bit and should have some stratamagies!

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users