66 replies to this topic

#41 Airborne Thunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFiddler's Green

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

Well its back to World of Tanks until this mess gets fixed.

#42 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

This might help some people (from the patch thread):

View PostDirePhoenix, on 05 February 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

The "Low" setting is actually the "High" setting. There is no "Very High" setting accessible from the UI in this build.
It seems to be a numbering convention flub. The sliders have 4 settings. In the previous build the sliders were probably set as follows:
1 - Low
2 - Medium
3 - High
4 - Very High

The new sliders appear to be using 0-3 instead of 1-4 as references though, so:
0 - ???
1 - Low
2 - Medium
3 - High

The call on the far right slider position is now referencing 3 instead of 4. It may say "Very High", but is actually applying "High" settings.
The call on the far left slider position is now referencing 0 instead of 1. Since there is no reference for 0, it selects the default setting, which is "High". So the actual slider positions are as follows:
0 - Default (High)
1 - Low
2 - Medium
3 - High

This can be observed by selecting the far left and far right slider positions and seeing that they are the same setting, and observing that the second from the left setting (which reads "Medium") is actually applying the lowest quality setting.

It may sound odd, but in programming the widespread practice when numbering array sets is to start with 0, not 1.

Value of 0 would mean default value which seems to be Very High.
One of the reasons players that use "low" settings for performance got such a huge performance loss.
Setting stuff to Medium (to get the low settings) should help.
So instead of
Low = 1
Medium = 2
High = 3
Very High = 4

you now have
Low slider = 0 -> Invalid = Default to "Very high"
Medium slider = 1 -> Low
High slider = 2 -> Medium
Very high slider = 3 -> High

People need to use medium to get the lowest setting now and use low to get the highest setting.
PS: all that only counts for the ADVANCED OPTIONS for the custom system specifications.

#43 Airborne Thunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFiddler's Green

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

This should be a "simple" fix? Right? right?..............

#44 Leconte

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

this took my FPS from 20, to 60 in mech lab.

Put preset level to medium, Save settings, then go back in and change all settings to THIS in the advanced options.

Effects: low
Object detail: low
Particles:Low/med (i didnt get a difference in fps between them)
Post processing:Med
Shading: Med
Shadows: Med
Texturing: med
Environment: med
PostAA: off

any other settings hurt fps.

#45 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

My FPS has practically halved. I used to get 110-120 FPS on Forest Colony snow standing still. Now I'm getting around 60/70 FPS. I thought it was a bug with 60 fps cap, so I went to my user.cfg and added: sys_MaxFPS = 144

My fps was unchanged.

Everything feels kind of choppy, blurry, or something, but Motion blur is checked off. It just has this stilted movement when I walk around like my FPS is too low.

Edit: Ok, I was trying some preset user.cfg, and reseting graphic values. Then deleted the user.cfg reset it to medium and now I'm back to 100+ fps. I have no clue why it worked this time, but I'm not touching a thing. Perhaps because I did it in the home screen instead of in-game.

Edited by Jman5, 05 February 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#46 MechWarrior Black Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crimson Sentinel
  • The Crimson Sentinel
  • 164 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

changed preset to medium from custom it works now , when u manualy change on custom setings to low , game runs on max detail , when u chose preset video options it works.

#47 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

MechWarriorBK is correct. Manually selecting and saving individual video settings is not saving correctly. To solve this issue you must use the preset of "low" or "medium" with NO OTHER manual adjustments. Changing individual video settings in the "advanced" settings list will cause low FPS.

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 05 February 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#48 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

View PostJman5, on 05 February 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

Perhaps because I did it in the home screen instead of in-game.

I know the Particles slider didn't respond to in-game adjustments in forever; Haven't ever figured out where the "REQUIRE_APP_RESTART" responsible was …

#49 WaKK0

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSTL

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Really hope a fix is coming soon.

#50 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

View PostWaKK0, on 05 February 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

Really hope a fix is coming soon.

Matt Craig is aware of the issue and working on it. In the meantime you can make specific changes to your System Specs to force it to Medium. You may have to make more specific changes but if you were not having FPS issues prepatch you should be able to get your performance back.

#51 WaKK0

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSTL

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

I'd like to add to this thread.

Setting to a preset ONLY does seem to work. Any customization breaks, and just undoing modification does not work. You have to select a preset again to fix, otherwise the "custom" settings is locked.

Also, PGI has introduced a new caching issue on the maps (at least for me). The map details, textures, and graphics are not being cached correctly at the beginning of the map, requiring me to turn 360 a few times before its finished caching everything and stabilizes FPS through out the rest of the game. Failure to do so will cause active caching (very slowly at that) in the middle of combat dropping FPS to 10 or lower.

PGI -- Please fix your graphics engine... please? I can run a whole bunch of new games at maxed out res with my current system but your game chokes. I can play other games with the Cryengine that run smooth as silk (FarCry 3 would be a prime example).

FYI to test all of this: I completely reloaded all of my drivers, completely fresh installed MWO, and played with configuration and settings for over three hours tonight isolating your issues the best I could without a debug trace running through your code.

System specifications
Asus G75vx Core i7-3630qm CPU@2.40Ghz w/24G ram
NVidia 670MX w/ 3G ram using GeForce 334.67 beta drivers (rel 01/27/2014)
Samsung EVO 840 240G C:\ where MWO is installed.
RealTek HD audio 6.0.1.6818
Windows 8.0 64bit (8.2, build 9200) w/dx 11

AT&T Uverse Maxx 25Gbit down / 5Gbit up.

#52 WaKK0

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSTL

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

View PostDragonsFire, on 05 February 2014 - 08:59 PM, said:

System Specs to force it to Medium. You may have to make more specific changes but if you were not having FPS issues prepatch you should be able to get your performance back.

Actually in my case:
- using preset low gives me 50-80fps in ui and game
- Using preset medium gives me 20-40fps in UI and game.
- Using preset High gives me 15-35fps in UI and game.
- Using preset Very High gives me the same as High.

The graphics precaching issues is persistent in every preset.

#53 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:31 AM

As I was saying also in Colonel's user.cfg post, after UI 2.0 patch I'm experiencing a weird issue.. the game is stuck @ 50 FPS. No matter the user cfg, no matter if it's all set to low, medium, high or very high or custom, with or without user.cfg, deleting profiles, shaders, nothing changes.

I've tried setting my nvidia drivers (updated to the latest whql, they don't give me any trouble with any other game) with adaptative vsync (I've always used this with MWO), off, on, half refresh rate, triple buffering on, auto settings off settings.. MWO still runs @ 50 fps with huge stuttering both in mechlab or testing grounds.

I also have another installation in another drive, ending up with the same results. 50 fps and nothing else.
Trying to deactivate vsync either in attributes.xml and/or using user.cfg changes nothing (attributes xml literally deletes the vsyinc string after I log in the game), deleting profiles or shaders changes nothing; the only thing that happens is that at the first start after I've deleted the shader folders, the game runs @ 60 fps for a while loading the mechlab, once the mechlab is loaded, 50 fps is back again alive and kicking. Repair tool did nothing.

Rig is:
-MSI Z77A-G45
-i5 3570k
-GTX 660
-2x4Gb ram
-a couple of SSDs and a 2Tb drive
-Win7 x64, any driver is updated.

I don't have any issue with any other game I play, the rig isn't properly slow even if I play @ 1920x1200 any recently released game runs smoothly even maxed out or @ high settings.

Edited by John MatriX82, 06 February 2014 - 02:32 AM.

#54 Shamoth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 141 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:05 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 06 February 2014 - 02:31 AM, said:

As I was saying also in Colonel's user.cfg post, after UI 2.0 patch I'm experiencing a weird issue.. the game is stuck @ 50 FPS. No matter the user cfg, no matter if it's all set to low, medium, high or very high or custom, with or without user.cfg, deleting profiles, shaders, nothing changes. I've tried setting my nvidia drivers (updated to the latest whql, they don't give me any trouble with any other game) with adaptative vsync (I've always used this with MWO), off, on, half refresh rate, triple buffering on, auto settings off settings.. MWO still runs @ 50 fps with huge stuttering both in mechlab or testing grounds. I also have another installation in another drive, ending up with the same results. 50 fps and nothing else. Trying to deactivate vsync either in attributes.xml and/or using user.cfg changes nothing (attributes xml literally deletes the vsyinc string after I log in the game), deleting profiles or shaders changes nothing; the only thing that happens is that at the first start after I've deleted the shader folders, the game runs @ 60 fps for a while loading the mechlab, once the mechlab is loaded, 50 fps is back again alive and kicking. Repair tool did nothing. Rig is: -MSI Z77A-G45 -i5 3570k -GTX 660 -2x4Gb ram -a couple of SSDs and a 2Tb drive -Win7 x64, any driver is updated. I don't have any issue with any other game I play, the rig isn't properly slow even if I play @ 1920x1200 any recently released game runs smoothly even maxed out or @ high settings.

Weird, im pushing over 100fps v-sync off when set custom settings to medium, since they are messed up and act as low/off
also i set sys_spec in system.cfg from 3 to 1

#55 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:55 AM

I don't know, I've tried any possible combo, the game is like hard-capped @ 50 fps no matter what, if I see low-poly mech models and terrain or super detailed. 50. Nothinge else O_o

EDIT: I went through all the download of the client, started from scratch; didn't touched ANY setting besides controls/audio and the correct resolution of my monitor.

Well, 60 fps are back stable in testing grounds, although somehow the mechlab is still stuck @ 50. I won't touch any graphical setting until the issue is solved I guess..

Edited by John MatriX82, 06 February 2014 - 08:49 AM.

#56 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

Yes its true!Very high=high,high=medium,MEDIUM=LOW, low=high.I tried it and with shadows and post processing to medium they are disabled as before.I thought i go crazy when i changed from full window to full screen and everything looked so different and not as before.I dont cry about ui2.0,will get used to it and they will change some things i be shure,but such bugs like completely not understandable settings behavior and broken sliders are way too much to not be kinda dissapointed.Maybie they shoud have stayed in beta a while and get things to a stable level with solid content base.Maybie this hole release is PGI´s revenge for the pressure of community to release this UI2.0 thing as soon as possible :).

#57 AmaZinger

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:35 AM

My FPS is now halved though I switched all settings back to low. Seems unplayable now.

#58 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:59 AM

View PostAmaZinger, on 07 February 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

My FPS is now halved though I switched all settings back to low. Seems unplayable now.

You need to set the preset to Medium as the Low setting is not working properly currently.

#59 AmaZinger

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

View PostDragonsFire, on 07 February 2014 - 06:59 AM, said:

You need to set the preset to Medium as the Low setting is not working properly currently.

Now its even slower.

#60 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostAmaZinger, on 07 February 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

Now its even slower.

You may have to make some changes by trying out the High setting or some of the other settings then unfortunately. You also need to be in the front-end only as making the changes while in game will not be reflected properly.

There is a chance that this won't be a fix for you but I've seen a large amount of people have solid results and FPS increase by making these changes. Hope this helps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users