Does Anyone Else Think Matches Should Have Fewer Players?

43 replies to this topic

#21 Quick n Fast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationKahnawake

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

@ OP

NO!! y do u have to hide on a ur trololollolol alt to post this? an if ur not a troll alt, then I still say NO!! as u are a 2day old player an have no F-ing idea wat your talking about.

takecare goodbye n delete ur account

#22 Thomas Dziegielewski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere - St.Ives - CERES METALS, AAlcadis Revised Underground Complex, B5

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

I think it'd be nice if some matches were 12v12 some 8v8 and some 4v4 randomly. 4v4 might be pushing it but still.

#23 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

View PostXmith, on 05 February 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

There were 8-0 stomps when there were 8 per team. So dropping from 12 per will make no difference at all.

I do not believe that stomps will change much either. That is something that is probably unavoidable in a "No-Respawn" system (and if the match-making is not able to make really fair teams, it will happen with or without respawn).

But what I think is - less players means the individual affects the outcome of the match more. I think that can be a more satisfying experience overall. But there are of course also people that just find it fun that there are so many people on the battlefield. I prefer more "squad based" games, so to speak. Maybe because I also love pen & paper roleplaying games.

#24 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

View Postand zero, on 05 February 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

That is absolutely false good sir.

Due to the math of distribution of damage and firepower output, 12 man games are vastly more likely to end in a complete stomp than 8 mans due to the significantly great snowball effect.

Yeah-yeah: The Cruiser Model.

Sooo how big must a match get in order for a team to "absorb losses?"

#25 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostThomas Dziegielewski, on 06 February 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

I think it'd be nice if some matches were 12v12 some 8v8 and some 4v4 randomly. 4v4 might be pushing it but still.

I agree. Randon match sizes would be pretty cool. Tie that into some kind of deep mission setup in your CW module (hopefully) and it could really get interesting.

As for less players... it won't change anything. The way I see it... there's a line where damage output vs opfor tonnage alive becomes something you simply can't achieve unless everyone shuts down, stands there and lets you blast away with your 1 MLAS left in your torso.

#26 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

Different match sizes are incoming, April I believe

#27 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

I think we should be able to choose if we want to do 1 on 1, 2 on 2, 4 on 4, 8 on 8 or 12 on 12.

#28 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

Sir: I was wondering if you couldn't get MM to "check down" to a smaller match if, say, trying to fill out what was thus-far 8v7 involved calling in personal with "inappropriate Elos" …

(Once you can see names, you've hit the Point of no Return, right?)

#29 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

if map sizes were adjusted for smaller sized player matches it'd be fine - 4v4 on alpine or terra might get kind of painful. but if alpine was 'cropped' 30-60% to make a smaller arena to fight in according to the amount of players in any given match (and have that arena cropped randomly so alpine/terra/etc might turn into a different arena in any given game) then i think MWO could be a lot more flexible with having different player sized matches

heck, ALL maps should be made HUGE, then randomly cropped for each battle so that every battle is kind of on a random map. that would make every battle new and interesting for even the most experienced player

Edited by JagdFlanker, 06 February 2014 - 01:10 PM.

#30 Spokes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

There are game types in table top play where not all of a company's lances are on the field at the same time/place. A short, opening gambit match between each team's recon lance, for example.

#31 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

View PostJagdFlanker, on 06 February 2014 - 01:07 PM, said:

if map sizes were adjusted for smaller sized player matches it'd be fine - 4v4 on alpine or terra might get kind of painful.....

Might be? It would fuel more QQ than these forums have ever seen, and that's saying something.

#32 Navy Sixes

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

As I remember 8v8, it was easier for a really good pilot to carry the other seven. Think about your best games. Mine are 5 kills/3 assists/ +500 dmg in a BJ-1 and 3 kills/7 assists/ +900 dmg in a C-4. In 12v12, these are significant efforts. In 8v8, these are pretty much the game. I don't know that this makes the game better or worse, but it's the truth.

I'm pretty happy with 12v12. there are more opportunities for smaller unit tactics. If you think the death-wad is bad now, you either don't remember or never did 8v8. With almost no exceptions, the team that split up lost. As far as matchmaking, if you think a DDC 4-man can skew a match in 12v12 PUGs, imagine that same prem in 8v8.

I wish there were more opportunities for units to split up effectively in game, so I've agreed with those wishing for battalion-sized conflicts. At that point, I don't think the death-wad would be effective; there would be too many players who won't be able to get their weapons on a target. Conversely, they'd be too vulnerable to arty, with players in the center of the mob unable to clear the strike zone.

I agree that the games would be much longer, which would suck for players who died early. I also agree that the maps would have to be way bigger, but I'm also OK with that. Bigger maps are a soft-buff for faster mechs and would serve to further ween players away from the slow heavy/assault plague that is, in my opinion, really choking the game right now... so, bigger maps please, whether we ever get 32v32 or not!

#33 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

I would much rather we see maps increase to about double (or triple in some cases) current size and then have 6 lances on each side. Conquest on a map twice as big and twice the enemy mechs swarming around capping and fighting? Awesome

#34 Krujiente

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

All of this. I want Lance V Lance matches. Haha

#35 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

1v1 is what i'm really waiting for

#36 Mazikar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

If you drop down to 4 vs 4 might as well make it limited in tonnage, 4 vs 4 light mech only would be a blast, same with all the other classes. Might as well slap a Solaris badge on the match and make a 8 man FFA with scaling matches and title bouts. Oh wait that sounds like fun.... NO FUN FOR YOOOOOOOu!

#37 Profiteer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:45 PM

NO!

More meat for the grinder! :)

#38 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

View PostKharnZor, on 06 February 2014 - 09:11 PM, said:

1v1 is what i'm really waiting for

There's a lot they could with that. Solaris Matches, tournaments, etc. This I'd also like to see. Along with a fully implemented wager system where we can bet on matches and such

#39 Stelar 7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 315 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:51 PM

I like the 12v12 except on the small maps. Small maps need to be made bigger.

#40 keith

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

should make it happen:D

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users