1026 replies to this topic

#81 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

View PostDamocles69, on 05 February 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

sandpit, roadbeer. do those gleaming shields and armor ever get heavy?

I'm sorry, what am I white knighting exactly?
Oh, that's right. Calls for changes to JJs only mean something when they come with a whole bunch of capital letters and exclamation points.
But when a Dev says they're coming and I make fun of the meta-humpers, that makes the change a bad thing and I'm white knighting.

Got it

#82 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

View PostDamocles69, on 05 February 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

sandpit, roadbeer. do those gleaming shields and armor ever get heavy?

I'm not sure you understand the word. Maybe you should look it up? Where am I defending OR detracting from PGI anywhere?

#83 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

The highlander in open terrain is no different than any other mech. I played it, didn't like the poptart life, and left it.

JJ's are the problem. Fupdup's suggestion is good but not for the intended effect - it would merely give incentive for maybe using a few tons more to JJ'.

the truth is, mechs need a weight class based minor shake on the way down. Very slight, but enough to prevent more than mid ranged shots. This nerfs the pop up sniper while allowing brawlers to use JJ's.

It should be next to nonexistent in lights, noticable but negligible in mediums, present in heavies and something to compensate for in assaults.

Edited by Monky, 05 February 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#84 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

Paul does not mention or even imply JJs are beig looked at in his very short post targeting the HGN. I am very curious (per my previous note in this thread) where he will aim the nerf.

#85 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

(quote deleted)
If it weren't for your arrogance I'd be agreeing with you and that's coming from the guy who often begins games by saying things like "How do I go prone in my robot?" and "How do I activate my shields and respawn my robots?"

View PostLukoi, on 05 February 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

Paul does not mention or even imply JJs are beig looked at in his very short post targeting the HGN. I am very curious (per my previous note in this thread) where he will aim the nerf.

Exactly

Edited by miSs, 05 February 2014 - 07:25 PM.
removed moderated quote

#86 deforce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 616 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

no matter what is nerfed, there will always be a "dominant" build that will bring out all the QQ and cheese cries.

top competitive players will always trend towards a dominant build + thier higher skill level= NERF NERF NERF

gauss cat, streak cat(ok this was dumb), splat cat, a/c 20 cat, ppc stalker, 3-D, highlanders.

if you plan to keep nerfing what the top players take, it will be a never ending nerf bat, because they will always be able to wreck 99% of the community in just about any build/mech.

#87 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

View PostLukoi, on 05 February 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3129932

View PostPaul Inouye, on 05 February 2014 - 05:27 PM, said:

Just going back to the good old days of poking the dragon and running away.

Yes... JJs are being looked at and specifically the initial burst turn. And there are other Mechs on the firing range.

Bottom of page 1

#88 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 05 February 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

Sitting across from the studio from me is a board with all the 'Mechs on it. In my crosshairs... the Highlander. More info to follow along with intended implementation date. Just giving you all a heads up.

Man I was SURE it was a regular old dart board...

#89 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 05 February 2014 - 06:32 PM, said:

Ah thanks for pointing that out. Missed it as I was swept away by the groundswell of epeening that happened to this thread.

#90 FactorlanP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • LocationMy Wallet is closed until I see real progress.

View PostRoadbeer, on 05 February 2014 - 06:32 PM, said:

I'm not certain that that rules out actual nerfs to the Highlanders. As usual, PGI communication is vague and just leads to speculation and arguments.

#91 VooDooAddict

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 26 posts

View PostPaul Inouye, on 05 February 2014 - 05:27 PM, said:

Just going back to the good old days of poking the dragon and running away.

Yes... JJs are being looked at and specifically the initial burst turn. And there are other Mechs on the firing range.

The problem with Highlanders is the same as any JJ mech. Dishing out long range pinpoint damage while in the air.

Add enough weapon shake to the fall of a JJ so that anything outside of brawl range (<300m) cannot be hit. JJ mechs would still maintain a maneuverability edge in brawls, but would no longer be the "only" choice for mid to long range work.

#92 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

So when exactly did the goons stop squawking and start the whole ggclose thing anyway.

#93 Angry Viking

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

Could careless about the under-gunned assault mechs trying to do something they can do with a Cataphract 3D. More concerned with SRMS, and either private lobbies or tonnage matchmaking, dropping against a force 500 tons over mine again and again makes it hard to take this game seriously.

Edited by Angry Viking, 05 February 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#94 Serpieri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCanada

How bout you treat JJ's they way they should be dealt with like in Battletech. And while your at it, fix your broken heat system including DHS, low dissipation, and getting rid of ghost heat for starters.

#95 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Too bad Paulie seems to think the burst turn as he calls it, is problematic in this game compared to other things.

#96 McTough

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

Hm, that's interesting about a Highlander nerf. I never find a Highlander to be too overwhelming, but then again maybe I instinctively fight more carefully vs them?

In fact, for the longest time I thought Battlemasters were Heavy and wondered "WHY THE HELL ARE THEY SO BRUTAL FOR A HEAVY??" and likewise thought "Hm, these Highlanders aren't too scary for an assault".

But like I said maybe this was all based on my perceptions. Since I thought a Battlemaster was heavy I would be more reckless vs them, and knowing a Highlander was an assault I was relatively more careful.

#97 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

Getting, gotten, done gone way past the intent of the original post. Let's ,please, get back on track and talk about the original post. For it, against it, doesn't matter.

Thanks!

Cheers.

#98 Stygian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

when paul said "sitting on his chair this is what i pictured Posted Image

#99 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

Wouldn't be insane to just simply make jump jets work like they do in TT rather than ditz around. Heck, MWO's engine rules actually break a few 'Mechs (like the much-mailign/loved Urbie).

If a chassis can mount jump jets, the maximum number is equal to engine rating/tonnage, rounded down. A Shadow Hawk with a 275 engine can mount 275/55 = 5 jets.

Number of jets determines speed, distance, climb. Period. A Spider with four jets bounces as high, as far, and as quickly through the air as a Victor. Jet tonnage already varies by weight class, so bigger 'Mechs will pay more in tonnage to get around as they should.

-Ideally-, a 'Mech should be able to burn it's jump jet capacity to move in an arc that hits it's safe maximum at 50% fuel and then burns the rest to land safely. The more jets, the higher the apex of this arc is and the further between takeoff point and landing point. If you simply hit the spacebar? Up in the air you go, then back down. Moving? Max speed forward OR backwards (yes, jumping backwards) if you hit forward or backwards is equivalent to 66% of maximum forward runspeed, and assumes a full set of jump jets. This speed is reduced by the appropriate fractions if fewer than the maximum jets are installed- so a Shadow Hawk with 3/5 jets and a 275 engine would have an airspeed of 53.5 (66% of it's maximum speed of 81kph) x .6 = 32kph. A "moving start" would help a bit, but airspeed would decelerate or accelerate to the appropriate point quickly. Likewise, give 'Mechs a flat "turn speed" on their jets that increases with the number mounted. A Spider with eight jets should be able to pull itself around in the air far better than a clumsy one-jet machine.

Firing while airborne would be firing with a shaking target reticule. Whether the jets are firing or not. Bunnyhop or pogo-stick, but for gawd's sake end the era of the perfect-aim jump sniper.

Edited by wanderer, 05 February 2014 - 06:46 PM.

#100 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Typical dev post

Dev posts some cool info, but can't give details yet

The "you should do it my way and fix this instead" crowd jumps in
The "they didn't give me exact details, typical PGI BS, PGI you suck"
The "cool, it's good to see things are ramping up and we're seeing more communication and adjustments now" (usually the least vocal"

and finally the "ehr meh gerd, it doesn't matter what PGI does I'm going to use this as a chance to jump up and down and let everyone know how much this game sucks"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users