#21 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 06 February 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

Weapon cyclic increased from TT by 2.5 times on average,
Heat dissipation went from PART of a 10 second turn to vent to using all of it?

The ratios are different. In TT all weapons could fire without overheating . In MWO only ballistics can fire without overheating. Energy sucks now and ballistics are op.

#22 Charles Seneca

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

This is true, but you forget that you increase both sides armour with this. And pinpoint accuracy will still be beneficial even if its an AC20 at close range or say 2 AC5/PPC at longer range. Missiles and laser effects will spread damage over a Mech more.

I didn't forget that armour applies to both sides and please quote where I've said pin-point accuracy is not beneficial. I've not said that in any of my posts.. if I did please quote me, this is why I find your posts bemusing. You are accusing me of saying or implying something - that I never did.

Also you underestimate that by adding armour and ammo, but not helping heat use on other Mechs that if heat dependent weapons need to fire more they will use more heat and possibility of overheating as a result. But I don't see any gesture in helping heat balancing to help with this need.

Now we're getting somewhere. I agree with this point entirely. But it is not an argument for not increasing armour, but for decreasing heat on certain weapons.

#23 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

Adding armor doesn't change an outcome it only prolongs it.

Player A vs. Player B
Players A wipes the floor with B in 45 seconds

scenario two with suggested armor values.
Player A vs. Player B
Player A wipes the floor with B in 90 seconds

Armor doesn't improve a player's skill, tactics, or build. It just means they can sustain more damage before going down.

Streaks do more damage because they have a longer cool down AND require a lock. They also only fire in sets of two. When they're boated (much like most things) they can be on the beastly side but when taken as a single or dual weapon they aren't anywhere near "op"
These two balance suggestions wouldn't really balance anything other than reducing one of the few VERY effective light counters and prolonging the same result. Granted a longer match could be more fun but if it still ends in a stomp it's still the same bad taste

#24 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:33 PM

View PostKhobai, on 06 February 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

The ratios are different. In TT all weapons could fire without overheating . In MWO only ballistics can fire without overheating. Energy sucks now and ballistics are op.

uhm no?

Show me stock mechs that didn't overheat when firing off all their weapons? The Awesome is one of the most common examples used. In TT the 8Q would generate +3 net heat if it ran and fired 3 PPCs in the same round.
Posted Image
So on the first round it goes from 3/5 movement to 2/4
The next round it receives a +1 to hit AND another movement hit to 1/3
3rd round = 1/2 movement +2 to hit AND possible shutdown

So in 3 salvos you're severely overheated. People either misunderstand or misrepresent the TT heat rules and scale quite often. I hope this clears that up a bit? There were VERY few mechs that could move at anything above a walk and fire more than a couple of weapons without generating ANY heat.
That's not even counting an alpha strike. Try popping off your "op" ballistics alpha strike in TT rules

Highlander 733C
TT = AC20, 2MLs, 1 SRM6, 1LRM 20
If you moved at a run and fired off the AC20, MLs, and SRM you gain 19 heat with 13 heat sinks = 6 net heat (that doesn't include a +1 additional heat if it jumped isntead of running) so look at the heat scale.

Trust me, TT mechs were NOT heat efficient. Not by a long shot. Most were horrible and you actually had to manage heat well if you wanted to use a mech efficiently.

#25 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

One more example since it's always ballistics used in this debate

Annihilator-1A
4 AC10 and 4MLs and 18 heat sinks
Firing 4 AC10s generates 12 heat and the 4 MLs generates 12 heat for a net gain of 24 heat +1 if walking +2 if running
So if it runs and alphas it generates 26 heat - 18 for heat sinks = 6 heat in one round 12 on second 18 on third.

Since ghost heat makes ballistics "op" on here and you're using TT as an example, how do the above TT examples show that TT mechs running ballistics didn't overheat? I can keep the examples going.

TT mechs were HORRIBLE at heat management. They required a lot of strategy on when, where, and what to fire on any given round. Ghost heat doesn't change that here. You can boat and shoot all day long if you want. You just can't alpha strike all the time. You couldnt' do that in TT either.

#26 Craig Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

View PostSandpit, on 06 February 2014 - 11:16 PM, said:

Player A vs. Player B

Player A vs. Player B

Armor doesn't improve a player's skill, tactics, or build. It just means they can sustain more damage before going down.

Streaks do more damage because they have a longer cool down AND require a lock. They also only fire in sets of two. When they're boated (much like most things) they can be on the beastly side but when taken as a single or dual weapon they aren't anywhere near "op"
These two balance suggestions wouldn't really balance anything other than reducing one of the few VERY effective light counters and prolonging the same result. Granted a longer match could be more fun but if it still ends in a stomp it's still the same bad taste

Yes and no.

Currently the fragility of mechs sees many players go down faster than their ability to react. If I get hit once and die, I'm dead. If I get hit once but then get under cover, I am alive and can flank, maneuver etc.

On heat, generally speaking I completly agree (well, except my old favourite the Wolverine 6R). I think the difference is in TT it's very easy to think rationally about the range and the chances of success (the risk equation) In MWO, things happen much quicker and range is sometimes not even considered by pilots, hence over heating.

#27 Charles Seneca

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:46 AM

Player A vs. Player B

Player A vs. Player B

You're missing a few important points which invalidate your argument. Craig mentioned one. I mentioned one earlier, being that extra armour benefits close range mechs by enabling them to close the distance and hence getting in weapon range, of their long range enemies.

Being killed at a distance with no opportunity to respond is a far different outcome to being able to close the distance and retaliate somewhat. Having an opportunity to engage offers the chance of winning, however small. No opportunity = no chance.

Adding armour to the mechs and increasing their durability would add all sorts of new tactical opportunities to the game.

I will add at this point that light mechs require a much lower armour increase, or perhaps none at all, due to their high velocities and small profile which already increases their durability significantly compared to bigger, slower mechs. Conversely, the armour currently available to large slow mechs simply does not go anywhere near to compensating for the ease with which they can be hit due to their lack of manouverability.

Boating weapons accentuates both their strengths and weaknesses. Hence it is only when a weapon is boated that one can truly tell whether or not it is balanced or OP - unless the attribute is blatantly obvious such as the introduction of an AC100 with a 1 second recycle time, which would hardly require boating for people to start screaming OP!

The problem with streaks is that in the not too distant future there will be streak 4s and 6s. There is little doubt that these will be OP with the way streaks are currently implemented. The devs have acknowledged this and frankly it is obvious. The reason 4s and 6s will be OP is that 2s are currently OP - even though they do not appear to be so.

LRM 5s would be ok if each missile did 3 damage and the only LRM system available was the LRM 5. But introduce the LRM 20 @ 3 damage per missile and the problem suddenly becomes obvious.

Exactly the same logic applies to streaks. People are getting confused simply because of the delay between the introduction of the higher number streaks and the current low number streaks. If streak 6s had been introduced at the same time as streak 2s we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion now as the damage per missile would almost certainly be far less than 2.5!

Arguing that streaks are one of the few effective light mech countermeasures, even if true (which I don't believe it is), is not an argument that streaks are balanced - it is an argument that light mechs cause you problems which you find you can overcome to some extent by using streaks. While this may be true for you, it in no way invalidates my position or proves that streaks are not OP.

#28 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:55 AM

View PostSandpit, on 06 February 2014 - 11:33 PM, said:

uhm no?

Show me stock mechs that didn't overheat when firing off all their weapons? The Awesome is one of the most common examples used. In TT the 8Q would generate +3 net heat if it ran and fired 3 PPCs in the same round.
Ask and you shall receive
Posted Image

Posted Image
Stormcrow Prime 39 heat, 48 Dissipation.

Thats two of the top my head.

#29 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 07 February 2014 - 05:55 AM, said:

Ask and you shall receive
Posted Image

Posted Image
Stormcrow Prime 39 heat, 48 Dissipation.

Thats two of the top my head.

clan doesn't count. :P We don't have clan tech in game yet.

Point being the "TT didn't overheat mechs but MWO does" is just wrong. Chameleon was one of my favorites bu dam was that thing hot!

View PostCharles Seneca, on 07 February 2014 - 05:46 AM, said:

Arguing that streaks are one of the few effective light mech countermeasures, even if true (which I don't believe it is), is not an argument that streaks are balanced - it is an argument that light mechs cause you problems which you find you can overcome to some extent by using streaks. While this may be true for you, it in no way invalidates my position or proves that streaks are not OP.

First, you're implying that I ever said they were OP or that I have trouble with lights. I've never ever, EVER called anything in this game "OP". If you check my post history you'll clearly see just the opposite, I hate it when someone gets killed by something and then decides it's "OP".

When they're boated (much like most things) they can be on the beastly side but when taken as a single or dual weapon they aren't anywhere near "op"

I think maybe we're having a miscommunication?
I never said they were OP, I said the exact opposite.
I also stated "one of the very few EXTREMELY light counters" not "The only light counter"
There's a difference...

Doubling armor just isn't an idea I like. It's already been buffed. Of course it would allow mechs to close with more armor intact. That's like saying reducing damage from long range weapons would make matches last longer when all it really does is nerf the capabilities of long range weapons

#30 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

You'd have hated my table. I was a Heavy Meal Pro program tester an I had a folder full of Every Mech in the game (circa 2008) Fixed for level 1(inner Sphere only obviously) only and level 2 game play. Chameleon included. Sure my Warhammer only moved 3/5 at Lvl1, but it had 21-22 sinks and full armor! :P

#31 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 07 February 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

You'd have hated my table. I was a Heavy Meal Pro program tester an I had a folder full of Every Mech in the game (circa 2008) Fixed for level 1(inner Sphere only obviously) only and level 2 game play. Chameleon included. Sure my Warhammer only moved 3/5 at Lvl1, but it had 21-22 sinks and full armor! :P

ahhh but now we're talking custom mechs. I've built hundreds of mechs over the years. Just like now I can build mechs that don't have heat issues. I wouldn't have hated you at all. I'd have played whatever campaigns you had running. I might have cussed the dice a few times though lol

#32 Charles Seneca

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:39 AM

First, you're implying that I ever said they were OP or that I have trouble with lights.

Yes we are definately mis-communicating. I never implied either of those things. In fact quite the opposite for I am the one saying streaks are OP.

I also stated "one of the very few EXTREMELY light counters" not "The only light counter"
There's a difference...

Actually you said, and I quote:

...reducing one of the few VERY effective light counters

which clearly isn't what you intended to say, but is what you said never-the-less, hence my response.

Doubling armor just isn't an idea I like. It's already been buffed. Of course it would allow mechs to close with more armor intact.

But has it been bufed enough? The maths clearly says "no": armour was only doubled - weapon damage is much more than double. Gameplay suffers as a result.

That's like saying reducing damage from long range weapons would make matches last longer when all it really does is nerf the capabilities of long range weapons

Reducing damage from long range weapons would make matched last longer, while at the same time nerfing long range weapons. There is no "really does" about it - it does both.

Increasing armour also would make matches last longer and there the similarity ends. It is possible to achieve similar results by different methods. Just because the results are the same does not make the methods of getting there the same.

If I fly east I end up in Australia. If I fly west I end up in Australia. Same result - but hardly the same journey.

Edited by Charles Seneca, 08 February 2014 - 03:40 AM.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users