Banshee/mauler

28 replies to this topic

#1 The Lonegopher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

In the futile attempt to actually get something I want out of this game I ask, why don't we have an assault with an original build style. The highlanders are baby atlas, victors are baby battlemasters, the awesome can be a great laser boat but it's 80 tons. The Mauler of course everyone says oh no AC/20 and Gauss boats, but for some of us we want something besides a Cataphract that can mount 2 AC/10s. Why can we have 85 and above mechs that can carry 4-6 ppcs but can't have a mech over 70 tons to carry more than 1 big ac? The balance you get from introducing the Banshee and the Mauler makes this legit. Banshee with 8E 2M and 1B. We have no other mech like that. Mauler with 2E,4B,2M, holy cow a build I've never been able to do before. Please for the love of God, give me something original to play with. I'm not posting this to hear that this type of mech is OP or that'll never happen. This is me pleading to a company that I support with cash, to give me something I'd like to see.

We have 6 lights, 9 Mediums, 7 heavies, and 6 assaults. Those numbers seem a little skewed to me. But alas I have no real hope of this happening since the only thing you'll probably be working on is clan mechs.

Edited by The Lonegopher, 06 February 2014 - 08:34 AM.

#2 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

View PostThe Lonegopher, on 06 February 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

We have 6 lights, 9 Mediums, 7 heavies, and 6 assaults. Those numbers seem a little skewed to me. But alas I have no real hope of this happening since the only thing you'll probably be working on is clan mechs.

Actually, those numbers seem dead on for the Battletech universe where Mediums are the working class mech and Heavies are the next most common. Sadly MWO poorly emulates the Battletech universe elsewhere.

#3 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

Yeah those are two mechs I would love to pilot some day. Tho Mauler is probably a big walking vertical barn door so even if someone could fit dual AC 20's or quad AC/5's on there people will see it coming and shoot it long before it can see them.

And Banshee seem to kinda be to the Atlas what WarMachine is to IronMan. A cool sidekick with a scrap ton of weapons. Want!

#4 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

There aren't enough variants to put the Mauler in.

Also, how in the hell is a Victor (massive AC/20 arm with a couple of lasers & jump jets) a baby Battlemaster?

Edited by ShadowbaneX, 06 February 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#5 The Lonegopher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 06 February 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

There aren't enough variants to put the Mauler in.

Also, how in the hell is a Victor (massive AC/20 arm with a couple of lasers & jump jets) a baby Battlemaster?

It's not like the haven't made their own variants. As for the victor/bm quote, ballastics and lasers are the main builds comparison I was making. But I don't see there aren't enough variants in lore to make this mech since the have made their own and as far as lore goes, we all know how close the game is sticking to it right?

#6 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

How are the victors baby battlemasters? The Victor has a totally different hardpoint setup, is alot more maneuverable and has jumpjets. Aside from the ballistic arm, the Battlemaster seems alot closer to the Awesome, laser and missile heavy hardpoints, wide like a barn.

On those mechs: i don't think they will add a ballistic heavy assault. Even if they are not OP, AC40 jagers have brought a huge sh*tstorm to this forum, countless threads of complains, countless others defending it and so on.

They had the chance to do it with the victor, and they didn't chose the variant capable of using two large balistics. I don't think they roll dices on which variants they use. I think the jager has shown them how itchy atleast a part of the community reacts to AC40 mechs. They probably want to dodge this.

#7 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

View PostThe Lonegopher, on 06 February 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

It's not like the haven't made their own variants. As for the victor/bm quote, ballastics and lasers are the main builds comparison I was making. But I don't see there aren't enough variants in lore to make this mech since the have made their own and as far as lore goes, we all know how close the game is sticking to it right?

Victor has missiles. You might have been better off with a Jagermech/Battlemaster comparison...or the K2 Catapult.

PGI has made their own variants, but those are typically Hero mechs, which is in addition to the three base models they have.

Having said that, I'm in favour of having the Banshee included.

#8 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

Battle master is more of a bigger cataphract than anything. Highlanders are not at all like a mini atlas. As for the mauler and Banshee I do really want those mechs aswell. Moreso the Annihilator though, that will be a while though.

#9 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

Posted Image

#10 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

Victor is more like Highlanders and vice versa (which came first). Banshee would be great to have in this game as well as filling up the 95 ton slot just for the sake of filling it. It is a power house of weapons (I assume you mean the 3M, 3S, and 5S because the 1E and 3E are bad with # of hard points).

Also, the Zeus and Cyclops would be good for mix loads much like the Orion is now except at 80 and 90 tons.

And we need a super fast Heavy like the Lancelot (standard 360 XL which make it sport a 400 max on a 60 ton mech). Or even a Champion for a different look on a mech.

#11 The Lonegopher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

Once again this post was just to let PGI know that I want these two mechs. I don't want hero mechs, throw these things out there as heroes or regular I'll be the first one throwing cash at them. I want mechs and maps, I don't wanna get stuck to this well we need three variants to make this mech, thats bull. Clan warfare, planetary, more modules etc, none of that matters to me at this point. I need more variety cause this is stale and I'm bored to the point now that I don't wanna play.

And the genie's already out of the bag with the Jager, so now I get punished because some of the community doesn't like the build you can make with a mech, that's absurdity.

#12 dwwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

I'd rather they did a round of iconic state mechs. Zeus, javelin, hatamoto chi, hermes 2,urby

#13 The Lonegopher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

The post is about the Mauler and Banshee.

#14 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

For the Mauler to work, you have to include the Linesman, and the Daboku. And all the variants are pretty much the same.

Banshee.....they are soooooo bad....

#15 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

View Post3rdworld, on 06 February 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

For the Mauler to work, you have to include the Linesman, and the Daboku. And all the variants are pretty much the same.

Banshee.....they are soooooo bad....

I don't get what makes the Banshee so bad. =/

#16 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

Mauler doesn't have enough variants...

#17 The Lonegopher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

View PostBelorion, on 06 February 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

Mauler doesn't have enough variants...

And this is why no one knows you, cares, or would train you. They arent folowing the rules 100 % and yet you use it as an agruement. Classy bro.

#18 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

@ Lonegopher: Clearly they do care. I don't think they have invented any non-hero mechs. How do you explain the absence of iconic mechs like the Enforcer if not for lack of a third variant?

#19 mindwarp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

The Banshee could work. The 5S is the variant everyone would want - fast with a big XL, DHS, Gauss, 2 ERPPC, SRM6, 4 ML, 2 SL. The 3E only has a PPC, AC/5 and SL stock, but the PPC and AC/5 could be 3 hardpoints each (or more) giving the BNC big torso weapons bays (ballistic one side, energy the other) with shield arms. The 3M has 2 PPCs and 2 ML stock, but again those could be multiple hardpoint bays giving it huge energy bays in the torsos and shield arms again. It fills the 95t gap we currently have and offers up a fast assault. All 3 of those variants mount a 380 or 380XL, and you could build a variety of solid designs. And I've always had a fondness for the Banshee.

The Mauler (and the Daboku) is a pretty poor mech tbh. Slow, weak armour, nowhere near enough heat sinks and far too many guns to be effective. It's only upside is looking cool (and I admit that's a pretty big upside). More than any other chassis in MWO, it would need to be completely stripped down and rebuilt to be even moderately effective. Torso ballistic mounts mean mounting AC/20's would preclude an XL leaving you with a slow, huge target. The only thing it would offer MWO is being a multiple ballistic assault, and the King Crab does that better.

Good news for you though - once PGI starts using the 3055 mechs (and they'll have to soon, they're starting to run out of 3050 mechs), there's a lot of good multiple ballistic mechs coming.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

View PostThe Lonegopher, on 06 February 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

JJs and differing roles sorta invalidates the comparo entriely

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users