Infestation Of Light Mechs And Terrible Match Balance.

47 replies to this topic

#21 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostThe Equalizer, on 06 February 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

Nope. A non paying 'customer' can be removed from a coffeehouse due to lack of purchase to make the the chair he/she is occpying free for a paying customer. Provided that the low paying barrista(wannabe) bothers to do so.

On this game a non paying customer actually works for the said 'coffee shop' as he/she is serving entertainment for the paying customers. By this entertainment he/she is paying for the bandwith used for he service provided. Now the the entertainment provided by the non playing player here does not actually pay the bills and as such he/she is worthless to pgi as they need real money to pay for their real bills.

Now this may come a shock to you but securing a more balanced start to new potential customers would most likely bring in more business. What my statement was all about was the fact that pgi does not want to lure in new customers on a fear of losing their current customers. And as it is their game, they are well in their rights to do so. As am I in my right not to pay them.

To continue the analogy, someone sitting in a coffee shop playing chess with a paying customer might be the equivalent of a F2P player in MWO. They are providing entertainment for people who are spending money and so indirectly allowing the shop to earn money without contributing any of their own. That still doesn't mean the shop will care if they don't like the temperature in the building and want the heat turned up to make it more accommodating to them.

Yes, they don't want to alienate existing customers who are still purchasing things by listening to certain demands from people who may or may not give them money. So far those people haven't so it is safe to assume that even certain changes might not encourage them to spend money.

Maybe those of us who have invested in the game are a certain type of suckers... or maybe we understand that several hours a week in MWO is a hell of a lot cheaper than several hours at the bar, a movie, riding a rollercoaster, and such. We don't mind throwing a few bucks here and there at something we find entertaining.

We do, however get really tired of people complaining about us paying to keep the doors open so they can have a place where they can play for free.

#22 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

View PostFupDup, on 06 February 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

Would you rather have an "infestation" of assault mechs?

According to the Forums, that particular "infestation" was already well underway? ;)

#23 The Equalizer

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

No again. A chess player entertaining a customer in a coffee shop can not be compared to f2player in mwo. As the service of a f2player in a game directly effects the experience you are buying into (the game). As the chess player is more like smurfy's website, fun to have while playing but its not sold buy pgi.

I can undrestand that that you are tired of complainers. I would probably be too if I was a fan of the way things are going. But as it is, I really have to wonder are you really that conserned about the game going under or just conserned that you cant alpha next noobie to keep up your k/d. Instead of seeing these people as complainers why not see them as new possibilities. New ideas, fresh views and so on. Constantly being on defensive will also make you seem afraid of change. And we all know that change can not be avoided.

Get the newbies exited about the game and they will pay too.

#24 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

Like lots have already said, there are a lot of lights right now because of the ember. This would be an excellent time to bring out the oxide.

Edited by Rouken, 06 February 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#25 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

View PostDjPush, on 06 February 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

Thanks for listening

Do me a favor and do the same. You need to read up on MWO's Elo's system. New players get a "average" starting score, and then they go up or down based on performance.

The Matchmaker (aka MM) creates teams with similar averages, so yes a high Elo player may be "balanced" with a low or new player.

Read up on the changes that are coming, such as tonnage limits (both high and low).

In other words, dig around and read up on the State of the Game and the incoming changes. FTR, yes these threads do hurt the game since a new player might read your post, then leave thinking this game is horribly ****** up and has no hope. I mean the only other thread they looked at said that they only dropped against Assault mechs so obviously there is NO balance in this game and it totally sucks with no redeeming qualities.

The problem you and many others have is you see games like this as fun only when you win. I enjoy playing. Sure winning is fun, and gets me closer to mastering a new mech etc, but running around in a shot-up Locust with 5 enemy mechs on my ass is a thrill all it's own!

#26 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 06 February 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

...but running around in a shot-up Locust with 5 enemy mechs on my ass is a thrill all it's own!

Glued to a 3L ;)

#27 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 06 February 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

I'm pretty much done. Between PGI's insistence pugs are just meat for the grinder and that dimwitted nerfwarrior post at the top of the page I am just stopping gameplay. Definitely stay on the forums to keep the wrecking crew mad for now though. Just not fun anymore at all. Everything is a chore and you can never stay ahead unless you pay to play,

Working as intended for once

Seriously though, as others have stated, new mech releases always throw things out of whack while everyone tests out the new toys. I'd give it a month or so to settle back down

#28 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 06 February 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

I just thought he was supporting the game mechanics he preferred, I never once thought he was trying to antagonize us. ;)

Thanks Joe. Appreciate the understanding.

#29 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 06 February 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

Do me a favor and do the same. You need to read up on MWO's Elo's system. New players get a "average" starting score, and then they go up or down based on performance.

The Matchmaker (aka MM) creates teams with similar averages, so yes a high Elo player may be "balanced" with a low or new player
Read up on the changes that are coming, such as tonnage limits (both high and low).

In other words, dig around and read up on the State of the Game and the incoming changes. FTR, yes these threads do hurt the game since a new player might read your post, then leave thinking this game is horribly ****** up and has no hope. I mean the only other thread they looked at said that they only dropped against Assault mechs so obviously there is NO balance in this game and it totally sucks with no redeeming qualities.

The problem you and many others have is you see games like this as fun only when you win. I enjoy playing. Sure winning is fun, and gets me closer to mastering a new mech etc, but running around in a shot-up Locust with 5 enemy mechs on my ass is a thrill all it's own!

I was genuinely thanking them in advance for listening to my concerns about match balancing for not only myself but new players. That's ok, I understand you only used the context of my thread you needed to suit your own attempt to prove everyone your right and in some way discredit my personal concerns about the came. I do realize that the release of a new light mech is causing more people to run builds that hunt them However, I also ASKED if there was a way to balance the matches better. I don't mind losing from time to time but I also don't like losing almost every match for a week straight!
Who does?

#30 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostThe Equalizer, on 06 February 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

No again. A chess player entertaining a customer in a coffee shop can not be compared to f2player in mwo. As the service of a f2player in a game directly effects the experience you are buying into (the game). As the chess player is more like smurfy's website, fun to have while playing but its not sold buy pgi.

I can undrestand that that you are tired of complainers. I would probably be too if I was a fan of the way things are going. But as it is, I really have to wonder are you really that conserned about the game going under or just conserned that you cant alpha next noobie to keep up your k/d. Instead of seeing these people as complainers why not see them as new possibilities. New ideas, fresh views and so on. Constantly being on defensive will also make you seem afraid of change. And we all know that change can not be avoided.

Get the newbies exited about the game and they will pay too.

I play Commandos and have since they first appeared in closed Beta. I'm really not concerned(use a spell checker, they come built into several web browsers these days) about alpha striking newbies. In fact the vast majority of my builds are considered "bad" by the unofficial Meta Enforcers.

I am definitely not afraid of change. What I am pointing out is that PGI has no incentive to make it easier for people to play their game without giving them SOME money. I will admit I question their pricing structure... but I don't think they give a damn what someone who has invested $0 in the game wants when they don't seem to care what people who have invested $100+ into their game want and I don't see that changing.

#31 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

Nothing wrong with light lances really ... its just hit detection against lights that makes the issue bad.

Swarms of lights would need to be amazing pilots if they knew they would be hit more regularly.

#32 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 06 February 2014 - 02:02 PM, said:

Nothing wrong with light lances really ... its just hit detection against lights that makes the issue bad.

Swarms of lights would need to be amazing pilots if they knew they would be hit more regularly.

I see you are in Australia... I'm sorry... not because of where you are but because of where you are in reference to the servers. You see hit detection issues because of lag and ping. I can assure you having a ping of 30 means that I hit light mechs consistently and am hit consistently while in my light mech. PGI needs to get some servers around the world.

#33 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

View PostMercules, on 06 February 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

I see you are in Australia... I'm sorry... not because of where you are but because of where you are in reference to the servers. You see hit detection issues because of lag and ping. I can assure you having a ping of 30 means that I hit light mechs consistently and am hit consistently while in my light mech. PGI needs to get some servers around the world.

This is true, perhaps i can restate ... if you have no trouble hitting lights i do not see the isse with light swarms ;)

i get 250-300 ping so its a bit hit and miss unless i am packing SSRMs

#34 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 06 February 2014 - 02:10 PM, said:

This is true, perhaps i can restate ... if you have no trouble hitting lights i do not see the isse with light swarms ;)

i get 250-300 ping so its a bit hit and miss unless i am packing SSRMs

OUCH! I think I'm going to start leveling my Light mechs up in the middle of the night. :( What time do you Auzzies consider your prime time? :(

#35 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

Sorry. I bought an Ember. Without 2 more Chassis, the Ember is not realy a match for a Jenner. I Change Chassis as I Need it. Strakhhunter against light....but my best "Killer" is a DDC. That is not pay to win. Everybody can have him without paying. So WHAT?

Yes I m willingly spending money in a game. Do you think they can upkeep the Server with love and air?

When you like this game..you should Support it.

Today we saw 2 idiots shooting at our own Team. Names : Thisgamesucks or something like this.

Why do they do this. Our Lance took them out in seconds. Sorry. I don t care. If somebody shoots at me or my Lance , we have TS running as Lance, ( Clan Coyote) Then we shoot back. Finish.

#36 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

View PostMarc von der Heide, on 06 February 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

Sorry. I bought an Ember. Without 2 more Chassis, the Ember is not realy a match for a Jenner. I Change Chassis as I Need it. Strakhhunter against light....but my best "Killer" is a DDC. That is not pay to win. Everybody can have him without paying. So WHAT?

Yes I m willingly spending money in a game. Do you think they can upkeep the Server with love and air?

When you like this game..you should Support it.

Today we saw 2 idiots shooting at our own Team. Names : Thisgamesucks or something like this.

Why do they do this. Our Lance took them out in seconds. Sorry. I don t care. If somebody shoots at me or my Lance , we have TS running as Lance, ( Clan Coyote) Then we shoot back. Finish.

Just report them at support@mwomercs.com and move on. Anything else is just giving them the satisfaction of disrupting your game (after you shoot them into oblivion that is). It's always worse around patch days and I'm sure it will be at a high point when gold mechs release.
Oddly enough? All the "i'm going to TK every gold mech I see" neckbeards have made me want to buy one just so I can kill em off and report them and watch their IP (since they seem to think just being a Dbag on an alt account will keep their main account safe) get banned and lose all their stuffs ;)

#37 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

View PostMercules, on 06 February 2014 - 02:22 PM, said:

OUCH! I think I'm going to start leveling my Light mechs up in the middle of the night. :( What time do you Auzzies consider your prime time? ;)

Haha not telling! B)

Doesnt mean i CANT hit you with other weapons though do not get too cocky :( I do love my streakhawk though :lol:

#38 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 06 February 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

Haha not telling! :P

Doesnt mean i CANT hit you with other weapons though do not get too cocky ;) I do love my streakhawk though :D

Can I get cocky if I run fast light mechs with ERPPCs or Large Lasers because I don't like to get within Streak range? :) In fact I was just pointing out this mech to a friend, EMBER, because he mentioned seeing a resurgence of Streaks.

#39 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostMercules, on 06 February 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

Can I get cocky if I run fast light mechs with ERPPCs or Large Lasers because I don't like to get within Streak range? :) In fact I was just pointing out this mech to a friend, EMBER, because he mentioned seeing a resurgence of Streaks.

I need a larger engine ... :P

Or 3 of my US buddies to help hunt you ;)

#40 Latorque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 06 February 2014 - 02:02 PM, said:

This. I won't claim my LB-10-X aim is glorious; but i'm getting afwully tired of blasting four shots at point blank range in them and watching the CT armor turn orange. I wouldn't mind the Ember Infestation so much if it wouldn't feel like a Spider 2.0; and even if it goes back to normal; up comes it's broken predecessor again...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users