- - - - -

Wait, I Have To Buy Premium And Mechs With Rl Money?

39 replies to this topic

#1 TheOctagonX

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts
  • LocationArcade, New York, USA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:42 AM

That should make MWO one of the most expensive games to play if you want to advance beyond trial mechs.

No wonder the haters are hating..XD

The games great so far, but having to buy both is a bit daunting...

#2 Kell Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 141 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

You dont have to buy anything... The only mechs that are real life money are the hero mechs. It IS however recommended you get some more mech bays :)

#3 Pendraco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 469 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

Maybe I am miss-understanding your post? But you don't HAVE to buy either to actually play the game. I always have premium as it allows me to make the most of my time. But other than a few hero. founder and Pheonix Mechs I have only purchased Mechs with C-Bills, and I now have 53 Mechs.

#4 Leesin

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:46 AM

Erm, no you don't. You can buy all of the normal mechs with the C-bills you earn by playing the game. Hero mechs ( and other 'special' mechs ) are bought with MC, which is yes, RL money. But they have to earn money some way, so you can play for free all you like ( well, you will have to buy some mech bays but they are cheap ) but if you want to progress faster ( Premium time ) or get Hero mechs and the likes, then you gotta spend some cash.

#5 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

While I recently spent $40 on the Storm pack, using c-bills earned from matches I've bought three Jagermechs, three Blackjacks, and a Jenner. The standard mechs are purchasable by either MC (real money) or c-bills (in-game money). For example the Blackjack BJ-1 costs either 1,355 MC or 3,385,436 c-bills.

I bought the Storm tier Phoenix pack because I'd had so much entertainment value without spending a dime of my money I figured it was time I gave them some (even though they nerfed my beloved Gauss Rifle. I'm a big man, I'll get over it... <sniffle-sniffle>).

#6 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

Premium time requires real money. But you don't NEED Premium time -- it just makes advancing faster by providing a boost to XP and C-Bills earned (50% to both).

Hero 'Mechs require real money. They provide a boost to C-Bills earned (30%) and have different hardpoints than other variants of that chassis. But again, you don't need Hero 'Mechs.

Champion 'Mechs require real money. They provide a boost to XP earned (10%). You can actually get the same build as a Champion 'Mech by customizing a regular 'Mech. You won't get the XP bonus though.

Regular 'Mechs and equipment do not require real money. They can be purchased with C-BIlls earned in-game.

Spending real money in this game isn't required. It simply makes advancing faster.

#7 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

In case you missed it, if you click from the Trial Mechs button to the owned mechs button, you'll see you have 4 mech bays which you can buy mechs to go in with C-Bills.

#8 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

All points above are true. As for the game being expensive... even if you had to buy all mechs with MC, most free to play online games have ways for you to spend significantly more cash than MWO.

#9 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

The Rules of MC.

1. Buy Mechbays first.
2. The Hero Mechs +Cbill bonus never expires.
3. Never buy anything with MC that can be bought with Cbills.
4. Don't sell Hero Mechs.
5. Don't sell engines
6. If there is no room see rule #1. If there still isn't room strip the mech, see rule 4, then sell the stripped mech.

#10 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

Bad UI is bad. It can look like all mechs require MC to buy when you first look at it. Most do not -- the Cbill amount is all you need.

#11 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

Premium time is called premium for a reason. It's not required, it simply lets you earn stuff faster.

Most mechs can be purchased for that you earn each match. The only mechs you can't purchase with are "premium" hero and champion mechs. Hero mechs are unique variants and let you earn 30% more per match, Champion mechs are better equipped versions of standard mechs that let you earn 10% extra XP.

You should have 4 free mech bays you can purchase new mechs from. Just select L/M/H/A rather tan the star, which is only Hero mechs.

#12 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostTheOctagonX, on 21 October 2013 - 06:42 AM, said:

WAIT, I HAVE TO BUY PREMIUM AND MECHS WITH RL MONEY? That should make MWO one of the most expensive games to play if you want to advance beyond trial mechs.

No.

You can buy mechs with CBills...in-game currency. You can use real money to buy mechs directly, but anything you can buy with money you can also grind for free and buy with CBills.

The only exceptions are some vanity items (paint schemes and cockpit items) and Hero or Champion mechs. Hero and Champion mechs give you no advantages though...just bonuses to earing stuff. Again, this is all stuff you can grind for free as well. These mechs just make doing it faster.

MWO is not like other games in that there is no "best" mech. They are all good in different ways. There is no hierarchy. So being able to buy mechs is not a real advantage in-game. Money will let you avoid grinding...thats it.

Hero mechs do have unique hardpoint configurations. But "better" depends on your point of view...a lot of people hate the hardpoint config for Golden Boy compared to the normal hardpoint configs for example.

#13 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

View PostTheOctagonX, on 21 October 2013 - 06:42 AM, said:

That should make MWO one of the most expensive games to play if you want to advance beyond trial mechs.

No wonder the haters are hating..XD

The games great so far, but having to buy both is a bit daunting...

It might look like this, if you don't have enough Cbills from your first 25 matches.
If you have too low credits, the "buy with Cbills" button will be red.

You get around 8-9 million for the first 25 games with the "Cadett bonus".
Spend them wisely, as this big amount of CBills will be used up easily and earning that much after without the cadettbonus (even with premium time) will take a lot more time.

Some good options are the Cataphract, or Jaegermech, the Hunchback-4SP.

#14 Eric darkstar Marr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

Not sure if opener is troll or just a .....

#15 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

View PostEric darkstar Marr, on 21 October 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

Not sure if opener is troll or just a .....

I think it's just an innocent mistake. The UI can be confusing to those who aren't used to it.

#16 stinkypuppy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 153 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the great plains of canada

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

remember that hero mechs are NOT Pay to Win in any way, they simply provide different hard-points and unique paint jobs and a c-bill bonus, while i do have a better time piloting my protector more than the standard orions its just because of my preferred preference with liking the protectors hard-points. also if you very much enjoy 1 type of chassis it can be reccomended that you buy a hero version of it (if there is one) just so you have a mech that you like that's earning you more c-bills.

remember that when you enter the store the tab that is first selected is the hero tab, just select a different tab and you will see the C-bill mechs. also one thing to keep in mind that hero mechs are unique variants and usually have a better stock load-out (better engines, ferro fiberous, endo steel, ect) while champion mechs are the same variant as c-bill buy-able mechs however just have a load-out that is preferred to use by the community however their load-outs are still achievable with c-bill purchases. (i have a spider that has the same load-out as the champion spider but i didn't spend a single bit of MC on it) remember too that if you buy like 30$ worth of MC you can get a lot of mechbays which are admittedly one of the only reasonably priced items in the game.

#17 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

In all fairness there is a SMALL point of contention, in that mech bays can ONLY be purchased for MC. Though the cost is not substantial [300mc ea] if you buy 10 mech bays that's 3000MC, or $14.95 USD.

No, it's not a lot, but without it you're limited to. . what. . 4 mech bays? I can see how, in some [extremely] rare cases that could cause someone issues.

Hero mechs and premium time, however, do not fall into this. While premium time is extremely beneficial for C-Bill farming, it is not really NECESSARY.

By the same token, Hero mechs are nice-to-have's, but are simply slight variants of existing chassis with [potentially] different mounting locations. You never have to buy one if you don't want to.

#18 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostSen, on 21 October 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

without it you're limited to. . what. . 4 mech bays? I can see how, in some [extremely] rare cases that could cause someone issues.

It caused me issues, because I wanted to master more than one chassis. So I bought more mech bays. I didn't have to in order to play though. (6 free bays seems like it would be a better number, encouraging collecting)

#19 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

has anyone else noticed this overwhelming amount of posts about of misinformation from the bad UI, no tutorial, and the horrible new user experience that someone will post like 1 post and then never be heard from again?

Edited by Iron Harlequin, 21 October 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#20 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

Selling character slots for real money is how a FTP game stays alive, so there is no fairness in calling PGI out for it. With enough time, you can master and kit out 4 very different mechs on a 100% free account. By that time, you will either drop the game, or easily be able to pay for 10 mechbays.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users