Clan Light Mechs - Doa?

218 replies to this topic

#41 chaas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

I mean the Clan 'Mechs have more firepower and comparable armor to the IS lights. They must be a little slower. I'm not sure how much of this sort of thing is based on Clanners being upset over lore or Clanners being upset because they won't have vastly superior 'Mechs compared to the IS.

It's a little silly to feel entitled to an advantage simply because you're Clanners. It doesn't matter if that's how it was in the books and tabletop. This isn't. Check those egos tyvm.

#42 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

View Postchaas, on 14 February 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

I mean the Clan 'Mechs have more firepower and comparable armor to the IS lights. They must be a little slower. I'm not sure how much of this sort of thing is based on Clanners being upset over lore or Clanners being upset because they won't have vastly superior 'Mechs compared to the IS.

I am fine with slow lights, you know. They are canon.

#43 IceSerpent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:14 AM

View PostJohn McFianna, on 14 February 2014 - 01:07 AM, said:

Heh no need for extreme defensive.. im eyeing for one of the small packages.. but wanted to see what people honestly thought of the Kit Fox & Adder.

Well, you can compare them to Stormcrow (55t, same exact speed) and draw your own conclusions. I guess it will boil down to hitboxes, but we don't know anything about that part yet.

#44 Lysander Voidrunner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 505 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

To me the problem is not with a certain mech chassis or the speed at which it can travel. The problem is deeper. Since CW will revolve around territorial gains to further one's economic goals, the fact that both factions will be "equal" and balanced will mean that the Clans will hit a brick wall upon arrival. It means that they won't be able to penetrate the Inner Sphere to anywhere near the extent they did in reality. The only way that could happen is if PGI gives them the worlds in an "arbitrary" manner or that the pilots on the clan side will be significantly better than their IS counterparts. That's why, to me, the clans are possibly DOA - they won't be able to expand into the IS since they'll be facing similar opposition.

In lore, they clans penetrated deep into the IS and started to encounter stiffer opposition as time went on because of two factors. One being the IS adapting to the new tactics and two, they also started to adopt and adapt clan tech. Sure, by Tukkayid both factions weren't exactly matched up equally, but the IS started to mount a far more serious challenge to the clans.

I realize that PGI doesn't want an arms-race and I see why, but an arms-race can only happen when two factions are equally matched. Here, they aren't, sure they have the same damage potential, but one has thousands of planets to back it up with production and infrastructure whereas the clans have none. That's why my ideal proposition would be simply start giving the IS access to "adpoted or adapted" technology as time goes on and the clans conquer more turf. Sure, the first few weeks would be rough for the IS, but if they implement a chance to drop CLAN tech from every clanner you kill, it would make it more bearable. I understand that they don't want to make present mechs obsolete, but they have to realize that they DO become obsolete in their present iterations. That's why by 3060, only 10 yeas after the invasion, the IS is already hard at work not only adapting clan tech but also coming out with it's own equivalent technologies.

In short, unless PGI interferes or the clans have a large advantage in terms of pilot skills, there will be a stalemate at the very point of initial contact with the clans. Furthermore, if the IS were to present a common front (which is not impossible) then they could conceivably squeeze out the clans by simply swarming them. Let's face it, the initial invasion will be spearheaded by the guys who actually spent real money to get the clan mechs. This also means that heavy mechs could conceivably be rarer on the initial invasion since, well, $240 is rather steep. So worst case scenario, the clans are stuck with far lighter forces, being heavily outnumbered, against an enemy that's not only far larger, more organized but also has the backing of the entier IS. That's how utterly destroy the clans within a few short days of the initial invasion.

#45 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

View PostLysander Voidrunner, on 14 February 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

To me the problem is not with a certain mech chassis or the speed at which it can travel. The problem is deeper. Since CW will revolve around territorial gains to further one's economic goals, the fact that both factions will be "equal" and balanced will mean that the Clans will hit a brick wall upon arrival. It means that they won't be able to penetrate the Inner Sphere to anywhere near the extent they did in reality. The only way that could happen is if PGI gives them the worlds in an "arbitrary" manner or that the pilots on the clan side will be significantly better than their IS counterparts. That's why, to me, the clans are possibly DOA - they won't be able to expand into the IS since they'll be facing similar opposition.

In lore, they clans penetrated deep into the IS and started to encounter stiffer opposition as time went on because of two factors. One being the IS adapting to the new tactics and two, they also started to adopt and adapt clan tech. Sure, by Tukkayid both factions weren't exactly matched up equally, but the IS started to mount a far more serious challenge to the clans.

I realize that PGI doesn't want an arms-race and I see why, but an arms-race can only happen when two factions are equally matched. Here, they aren't, sure they have the same damage potential, but one has thousands of planets to back it up with production and infrastructure whereas the clans have none. That's why my ideal proposition would be simply start giving the IS access to "adpoted or adapted" technology as time goes on and the clans conquer more turf. Sure, the first few weeks would be rough for the IS, but if they implement a chance to drop CLAN tech from every clanner you kill, it would make it more bearable. I understand that they don't want to make present mechs obsolete, but they have to realize that they DO become obsolete in their present iterations. That's why by 3060, only 10 yeas after the invasion, the IS is already hard at work not only adapting clan tech but also coming out with it's own equivalent technologies.

In short, unless PGI interferes or the clans have a large advantage in terms of pilot skills, there will be a stalemate at the very point of initial contact with the clans. Furthermore, if the IS were to present a common front (which is not impossible) then they could conceivably squeeze out the clans by simply swarming them. Let's face it, the initial invasion will be spearheaded by the guys who actually spent real money to get the clan mechs. This also means that heavy mechs could conceivably be rarer on the initial invasion since, well, $240 is rather steep. So worst case scenario, the clans are stuck with far lighter forces, being heavily outnumbered, against an enemy that's not only far larger, more organized but also has the backing of the entier IS. That's how utterly destroy the clans within a few short days of the initial invasion.

Though I understand what you say, let me just bring up one thing:
- If this is implemented, what keeps everyone from not just joining a clan, and playing the Clan tech that is killing them? Then, the IS starts to become a ghost town, with far less opposition to the clans. As the IS continues to lose more and more, more and more people will "change" to the winning side, making it even worse and worse.

People in video games have a tendency to "join the better team" with no regard to lore or backstory. If one side has "what they want", they will join that team. When all they see changing is their bird going from purple to green, they aren't going to care.

Personally, I'm a die hard and don't mind being an underdog, but even I would have my limits of "having my butt kicked and joining with what works". For example, I play Warhammer 40k. I played Tau as my first army, and did well with them. Then, they updated the Space Marines and other Codexes. Suddenly, I couldn't win anymore. I tried to stick through with it, but eventually ended up "can't beat them, join them" and started to play Space Marines as well, as I couldn't "play" with my Tau any longer. (Of course, when 6th edition came out, I dropped my Marines and brought out the Tau again, and then finally got a new codex...)

#46 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

Who knows, maybe PGI will balance the slower speeds with superior agility (turn/twist/acceleration rate).

#47 Crockdaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

Maps with better cover / terrain (read this as trees which do more than just obstruct vision) large rocks etc would help lights immensely. Commandos would benefit from more terrain. Imaging in a city being closed in by a few heavy mechs or tall mediums ... the commando runs under a bridge or between buildings that the bigger mechs cannot follow.

#48 Lysander Voidrunner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 505 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

View PostTesunie, on 14 February 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

Though I understand what you say, let me just bring up one thing:
- If this is implemented, what keeps everyone from not just joining a clan, and playing the Clan tech that is killing them? Then, the IS starts to become a ghost town, with far less opposition to the clans. As the IS continues to lose more and more, more and more people will "change" to the winning side, making it even worse and worse.

People in video games have a tendency to "join the better team" with no regard to lore or backstory. If one side has "what they want", they will join that team. When all they see changing is their bird going from purple to green, they aren't going to care.

Personally, I'm a die hard and don't mind being an underdog, but even I would have my limits of "having my butt kicked and joining with what works". For example, I play Warhammer 40k. I played Tau as my first army, and did well with them. Then, they updated the Space Marines and other Codexes. Suddenly, I couldn't win anymore. I tried to stick through with it, but eventually ended up "can't beat them, join them" and started to play Space Marines as well, as I couldn't "play" with my Tau any longer. (Of course, when 6th edition came out, I dropped my Marines and brought out the Tau again, and then finally got a new codex...)

Very good point, however, the initial invasion WILL be done by people that spent money on clan mechs, which are outrageously expensive, in real world money terms. That in itself will limit the number of people. Then there is the fact that clan mechs themselves will be far more expensive in game than the mechs we have now. That's yet an other barrier to entry. Finally, it'll take about a month for people to get the ability to get clan mechs for c-bills, if not longer. By that time, PGI could include some sort of equalization process with a weapon salvage mechanic.

#49 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

View PostLysander Voidrunner, on 14 February 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

Very good point, however, the initial invasion WILL be done by people that spent money on clan mechs, which are outrageously expensive, in real world money terms. That in itself will limit the number of people. Then there is the fact that clan mechs themselves will be far more expensive in game than the mechs we have now. That's yet an other barrier to entry. Finally, it'll take about a month for people to get the ability to get clan mechs for c-bills, if not longer. By that time, PGI could include some sort of equalization process with a weapon salvage mechanic.

Not if people start saving for those mechs now...

And then, what do you do with people who join the Clans as soon as possible, but didn't (couldn't) buy into the clan pack? Are they suppose to just sit around and wish they could join? Not join that clan and earn loyalty for the IS they aren't interested in? What?

There are a lot of things to consider before one jumps to any decision or changes like this. All I'm really saying.

#50 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostLysander Voidrunner, on 14 February 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

What i do not get is this: Clan warriors do not (have to) buy their OmniMech. Of course in MWO we will have to buy them but we should buy them at reduced price at least. We can produce them while Spheroids have to salvage them so i udnerstand they are more expensive. After all, the Clan Omnies prices are in c-bills.

Edited by CyclonerM, 14 February 2014 - 11:26 AM.

#51 Silence Jin Mang

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 170 posts
  • LocationVirginia, america

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

@Competitive argument
Meta is the "best", but it really is not. Unpredictability is the best. I`ve won against competition winning teams with a typical set up for my team, but an "obsolete" set of mechs actually won us the match. I unfortunately couldn't find the video of us taking on an EU comp team, but them in full meta builds with us with only three meta builds beat them. We had two DDC and one raven, my core to most of my 8-12 man builds, and three lo-wang`s with 1 hunchback, followed up by a Gauss kitty. We completely stomped them with a 8-1 just in the fact we had that unpredictability and the fact it countered the meta. Meta is great up until you add unpredictability and pilot skill. A pug in an AC20 Jager can dominate, but give a skilled player the same mech, and he`ll only do slightly better. Honestly meta makes it so the unskilled can do well, they are game breaking exploits, and I don't mean to slight pro`s but watching them play, take them out of the meta and they preform averagely. I think to judge something on a meta level is to only show what a game breaking advantage shows. I can beat almost any mech in a Lo-wang, and I`m willing to prove it, I`ve cut through three very skilled players then a tie with a fourth in 1v1`s in the same game, I believe that meta makes players, and therefore they dont develop the skill to use anything and make it work. Pariah makes a good point with League being a great example, the teams that vary their champions win, where as the teams that stick to pure meta lose. Meta is good in theory and the very beginning, but after a few matches, counters are developed and exploited. So, I think the low speed clan lights will make a new niche for themselves, I don't think they will be DOA, and I don't think comp teams will use them until a truly skilled comp team makes them work.

@The CW front
I think the lack of customization in engine lvls and armor type/structure type/heatsink type will drive people away from them. Less customization means less popularity. People like their ability to choose. I also don't see comp teams moving out proven designs to test out the potential flop of Clan mechs. I think the Clan mechs will be less common than we think they will.

#52 ConanTheGamer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

The one I'm concerned about is the Nova. With 12 ER-medium lasers the mech is going to run so hot that it will be unusable on any map, much less the hot maps(Terra Therma, Caustic Valley, etc.).

#53 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

View PostConanTheGamer, on 14 February 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

The one I'm concerned about is the Nova. With 12 ER-medium lasers the mech is going to run so hot that it will be unusable on any map, much less the hot maps(Terra Therma, Caustic Valley, etc.).

Fortunately, nothing is stopping you from kicking out jump jets, extra ERMLas, or whatever to install additional DHS. The PRIME starts at 18 DHS (14 base, 4 additional for the configuration). Dropping out 2 ERMLas puts you at two neat groups of 5, and potentially room for 2 more DHS, bringing you up to 20 DHS. Still going to roast, but with each ERMLas spitting 7 damage out at ~600 meters, that is still a 70 point strike between the two arms, and just barely enough heat sinks to cool off between salvos. Fire, pull back, cool, return.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 14 February 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#54 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 14 February 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

Fortunately, nothing is stopping you from kicking out jump jets, extra ERMLas, or whatever to install additional DHS. The PRIME starts at 18 DHS (14 base, 4 additional for the configuration). Dropping out 2 ERMLas puts you at two neat groups of 5, and potentially room for 2 more DHS, bringing you up to 20 DHS. Still going to roast, but with each ERMLas spitting 7 damage out at ~600 meters, that is still a 70 point strike between the two arms, and just barely enough heat sinks to cool off between salvos. Fire, pull back, cool, return.

Stagger fire will be key for the Nova. But then again, we are debating stock versions. If that is the case, the stock version of almost any mech in the game roasts well here...

#55 Kanajashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 317 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

I swear that every time I read a post by Koniving I come away feeling that he should be on the balance team

#56 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

Stock Daishis Insane reach Insane firepower, they get more lethal as you close. And run hot enough that you could cook eggs on top of their arm pods...

#57 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

Speed is nice, but it isn't the be-all end-all for light mechs. The Kit Fox and Adder can both mount some crazy heavy weapons in some of their configurations. An Adder Prime doesn't need speed when it's all but guaranteed to cripple your spider with one shot. You can argue that Clan lights have thin armor, but that armor is still more effective than Inner Sphere FF, (PGI also mentioned that you would be able to adjust armor in their last Vlog.) also that Clan XL engine makes the mech more survivable than an IS light with the same engine type.

I'm guessing they went with these mechs because they want data on the effectiveness of light clan mechs before they unleash the 200+ kph demonic spiders that are Fire Moths.

Edited by Vanguard319, 14 February 2014 - 02:21 PM.

#58 ShadowDraconis

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDeep within the FRR paving the way for the invasion.

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 13 February 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:

I do pretty damn well in a 97 kph Jenner with 2 LPL and a flamer... so, no. light mechs are not DOA.

Agreed, as a newer pilot lights are the bane of my existence. ; )

P.s. I currently pilot assaults.

#59 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

Let's remember that a Kit Fox can mount a Streak-6, stock.

That's quite the "get the heck away from me" choice for a light. Honestly, the two Clan lights work well together- same mobility, one can work really well as an energy sniper, the other one being quite capable of strapping in an LB-2X/Ultra-2 for long work and the Streak for anti-scout cover. Not fast enough to outrun IS lights, but outguns them. Scout hunters are gonna find it a workout. Stormcrows are basically extra-large Adders, and pack the same speed profile.

#60 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

No one here is taking into account that the clan lights will have the survivability of a standard engine IS light mech, with the speed and weapons of an XL IS medium. The Clan mechs, even the lights, are going to ******** the IS mechs. The clans are far from DOA in any fashion.

The Adder is basically this JR7-F, but instead of an easily blowable XL, it has a clan XL which for all intents and purposes is as survivable as an IS standard.

View PostKoniving, on 14 February 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

Spoiler

I fully agree with this. Too much cookie cutter in this game currently.

As a final note. There's the right way, the wrong way, and then the PGI way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users