Nvidia Driver Crashing / Reinitializing (Tdr)

7 replies to this topic

#1 LucKy232

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

CPU: Intel i3 2130 3.4GHz, 2 cores, 2 threads
GPU: Nvidia GTS 250 using latest drivers
RAM: 4GB

The issue is 4-5 months old for me.
The display driver crashes on Alpine Peaks most often. On other maps this happens less frequently (once or twice per game) or not at all. For example, it doesn't happen on River City.
After it crashes, it reinitializes. If it doesn't manage to reinitialize, it gives me a BSOD.

It's an older card, but it doesn't happen in any other game.

Clean install, tried MWO repair tool.
I also checked the temperature, and the GPU is at less than 70 degrees.
I tried putting High Performance in the Power Options.

The problem occurs relatively less often if I play on High. (but I get 20 fps and the issue is still there)

I did use to play with this MotherBoard / CPU and an Nvidia GT 620 and I think it used to work. (not 100% sure)
I also used to play with a Pentium 4 630, 3.0GHz and the same Nvidia GTS 250 and it used to work.

Edited by LucKy232, 13 February 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#2 BladeXXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:56 AM

Your GPU is the bottleneck of your systems and uses to run 100% all the time.
So it gets hot! Maybe it is not that healthy anymore and temperatures near to 70° cause internal misoperations sometimes followed by a crash.
It doesn't hapen on Pentium 4 because the are other major bottlenecks, so you GPU never get that hot.

You have 2 options:
Go to your video advanced performance options. Set every slider to medium. then set Texturing and Object Detail to high. Save.
Limitate your FPS to 30: put "sys_MaxFPS = 30" into your user.cfg - this gives your GPU more time for cooling in situations when it is able to render even more E.g.
If 1. won't help ... replace the GPU!

#3 LucKy232

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:54 AM

I can confirm that the heat is not an issue, since I managed to keep the GPU at a constant 52 degrees and the problem persisted.
Nonetheless, the card has been put on a lot more stress, sometimes exceeding 80+ degrees, and no issues appeared in any other games / applications.

Edited by LucKy232, 14 February 2014 - 05:55 AM.

#4 mania3c

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 466 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:48 AM

Hello LucKy..

Nvdia driver stability issues are many times caused by fact, that many Nvdia cards have set core voltage on the edge of the stability..not sure what is the reason..but I managed to fix Nvdia driver crashing problems on many PCs just by increasing core voltage..

I used "MSI Afterburner", which allows you to unlock GPU core voltage and increase it..

Keep in mind core voltage is not always cause of these problems but if you are saying heat is not the issue, try this approach ..it helped me many times..

#5 BladeXXL

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

I can confirm mania3cs expirience. Sometimes GPU is factory-side overclocked. If you get a low-quality chip it may not stand this. giving more voltage can help.
... but be carefull: you can damage your card even more!

#6 Kshat

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

How much Vcore did you add? Got gamefreezes with my GK104 - but only when I play this game.

#7 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

For voltage changes, do the smallest possible step that you can.

Example: If your default is 1.1v and the next step is 1.105v, try that. Then do some matches to test. If necessary, increase the voltage another step. Then test again. Etc.

#8 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:54 AM

1st, my card is an amd 7770 and my mb is older with 4gig ddr2 800 memory.i have gotten display driver stopped working (timeout errors)started around august-sept.i run old drivers 13.1 newest are 13.12, and i lowered my clock speeds 1100,1250 default to 900 1100 and upped my voltage 2% and havent gotten the crash.i still occasionally get the memory allocation cryengine error/crash.i hope this can help some of you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users