The Perfect Game, Maybe.

7 replies to this topic

#1 Durahl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

Every once in a while I keep thinking about what would be a REALLY nice o have in a MechWarrior Game.

Here are some thoughts ( nothing I expect to get fulfilled by PGI ):

Have the entire Game based on a Voxel Engine.
Right now shooting an AC20 two times into a 40 Armor Leg causes it to strip all of the armor no matter if you one shot hit the thigh and the other the heel. It's as if a snake consisting of 40 layers peeled of two times 20 layers of it's entire body skin because it got hit two times for 20 damage on it's tail.

Why not make it necessary to actually hit the same hole you already hit to get to the Internals, not just the general location.

Want to disable that nasty AC20 on that AS7-D? Don't hit the Shoulder above it, hit the darn Cannon - But before that you still have to remove the armor at that Location.

Want to ( temporarily? ) kneecap that RVL-3L? Shoot him in the exposed Knee Joint, not the armored thigh.

Once the Internals are accessible you still need to actually hit something of value!
Finally exposed some Internal ( now actually visible to the Player! ) you shoot at it and hope for something of value! Too bad you only hit a HS, not the Ammo box not yet exposed but only a few inches below the HS.

You'd probably have to lessen the armor of Mechs again as it would otherwise become pretty hard to actually destroy one but on the other hand it would also make splash damage weapons more interesting as they'd be able to tear of larger parts, just not as deep as pinpoint weapons.

Let's not stop at Mechs only!
See Mechs below a natural stone Bridge? Call in an Artillery onto it and have it rain some damage onto the unsuspecting Enemies by having tons of stone raining onto them ( and disable the bridge for hat game )

See that large building next to a Canyon/Street bottleneck? Have the entire team fire at it's foundation to collapse it into the right direction blocking the path for any Mech not equipped with JJ's or enough firepower to clear the way.

See a swarm of Lights coming at you? Call in an Airstrike causing damage to the Terrain, making it uneven and thus slowing them down considerably.

See a Legion of Mechs below a potential Snow Avalanche Position doing moderate damage and causing a temporal slowdown? Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Have cinematic like events happening either by randomness or by player triggered actions.

Make it less Arcade and more like a Simulation.
I got sold to the game when the first Trailer ( Warhammer vs. Atlas/Jenner ) was shown years ago.

It looked like a simulation where Cockpit Items served a purpose - That Radar Screen? Actually something you have to look at and only visible IF you look at it - Want that Drone out? Have to take your eyes off the Windshield for a second to hit the button.
What we now have is a complete letdown for me... It's an overly fast paced CoD in Mechs and nothing that stands out of the F2P crowd anymore unlike what I've seen in the first Trailer.

All-in-all... Slow down the pace! Because of the Art revamp the Mechs now look realistic but they're still running like Speedy Gonzales which I find an Immersion breaker. This would also cater to the simulation feeling as it would give players time to react to events.

More Customization.
Give us the option to paint the Mechs how we like them, how they did it when it was a Table Top Games ( not my thing but I always liked the idea ) and not just predefined Patterns with Channels.

Want your Clan/Guild sport all the same design? Have a dedicated Member draw the designs directly onto the Voxel Models ( would require the possibility to access all Mechs even if not bought if just for the purpose of creating these Patterns, not for playing them ) and maybe have the others pay a "Clan/Guild Pattern" fee to access to the pattern - Also included in the fee would be the predefined Colors ( which not necessarily HAVE to be used IF the skin works with Channels )

Set up some rules what is allowed on these skins if you must but let us define our own Pattern.

Other Game Modes.
I'd really like to see some kind of MMO like continuous World where if you leave the game and enter it back you're still at the same spot.

Also... Killed a Mech on that Hill up there? Still there the next time you log in to the game and pass that Hill. Gives King of the Hill a totally new meaning if you see a huge scrapyard of Mechs around it from last weekends fight for resources only available at that particular spot.

Have destroyed Mechs fade away and destroyed Terrain repair itself if no Player has seen them for a certain time or if a Server Reset has happened.

Lower the Costs.
IMHO everything here is too expensive especially when not bought in bulk like offers.

I'm still running the strong opinion that if things would be cheaper ( a lot cheaper ) people would storm the store in masses negating the need for inflated prices like what we have now to keep up the costs.

Stay away from TableTop Rules.
Drop this sh!t make your own rules fitting your product and not some 30 year old analog game.

More colors.
For christs sake get some more colors into the game, I'm sick of brown, grey and the combination of them two.

Vibrant colors! I want lot of em!

Ah well... Not like we're going to see anything like this soon or at all.

#2 SleekHusky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

I like it but question the ability of this being able to be programmed in.

#3 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

View PostDurahl, on 13 February 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

More colors.
For christs sake get some more colors into the game, I'm sick of brown, grey and the combination of them two.

Vibrant colors! I want lot of em!

i'd like to have more colors that you can purchase with c-bills.

#4 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

Can you code this for PGI? :)

#5 Firewuff

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

This can all be programmed... that said it would be a terrible game to play. you would a) need to drop armor values massivly or no one would every kill any one else and ;) there would be the equally frustrating situation of a luck hit randomly killing you because it just happened to hit an existing hole and core your engine. The whole thing would become far more random.

It would also require that convergence be broken or high pinpoint alpha meta would just be exacerbated as this would be the best way to kill some one, massive damage on a single point as this wouldblow the armor and get the internals....

#6 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

This isn't a feature suggestion.
This is a suggestion for an entirely different game.

#7 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

I'm pretty sure it would be easier to just finish off previous work on fusion engines, develop myomer and build yourself a bunch of 20 - 100 ton mechs.

#8 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:58 AM

Perhaps there is an interesting , subliminal point here; scaling damage per component.

Example' If I hit low on the leg, say the foot, it takes full damage, while the thigh takes a decreased amount of damage; this may be less programming, as it is just an applied math to a location and no need to keep track of past hits.

Edit: the reason for the foot/thigh comparison is that the foot, in theory has far les armor than the thigh, and if destroyed, has the potential to be more of an issue. Where by the thigh, having more armor, may take the hit much easier.

Edited by Aphoticus, 16 February 2014 - 07:01 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users