Base Defense Turrets And You, Don't Be That Guy...

49 replies to this topic

#21 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

I am not a fan of the turrets. There are too many, and they're too far from the cap point, so much so, that they drastically impact the gameplay on those two maps. Its really bad on the river city map- there's only about a third of the map not affected by the turrets. Makes me wish I could select [Skirmish/Conquest] only for game types.

Edited by Mirumoto Izanami, 19 February 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#22 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

View PostVoivode, on 14 February 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

They do, but it is all one hitbox. Likely his LRMs aren't the only thing hitting them.

I would wonder if the LRM splash damage is causing damage multiplication due to a single hitbox... May be a bug... Are the turrets present on training grounds maps?

#23 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

View PostThroet, on 19 February 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

I would wonder if the LRM splash damage is causing damage multiplication due to a single hitbox... May be a bug... Are the turrets present on training grounds maps?

I don't think so. Last I checked there are no turrets in Crimson Straits and River City.

Edit: Should've been more specific, no turrets in Crimson Strait and River City during training grounds.

Edited by luxebo, 19 February 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#24 BlackDeathLegion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

Shit, I was in my Griffin on Crimson Strait today. I was on the Island on the south part of the map. I lost both arms, both side toros. I was useless!

I was like 850-950 meters FROM the Nearest LRM Enemy Turret, when it started to shoot LRMs at me.
I then Powered down, keep in mind like 900 Meters from the nearest turret. Not a single Enemy Player was around me, nor KNEW where I was.

Those ******* LRM turrets KEPT hitting me from 900 meters away.... (yes I know LRMs have range of 1000meters) ... BUT I WAS POWERED DOWN????? WTF THEY GOT BUILT IN ******* 900 METER TAG TOO??? hahahahahah :(

#25 Giant Bob

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationRoute 66

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

Turrets are the crap we get because they just had to fix what wasn't broke.

#26 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

View PostBlackDeathLegion, on 19 February 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

Shit, I was in my Griffin on Crimson Strait today. I was on the Island on the south part of the map. I lost both arms, both side toros. I was useless!

I was like 850-950 meters FROM the Nearest LRM Enemy Turret, when it started to shoot LRMs at me.
I then Powered down, keep in mind like 900 Meters from the nearest turret. Not a single Enemy Player was around me, nor KNEW where I was.

Those ******* LRM turrets KEPT hitting me from 900 meters away.... (yes I know LRMs have range of 1000meters) ... BUT I WAS POWERED DOWN????? WTF THEY GOT BUILT IN ******* 900 METER TAG TOO??? hahahahahah :(

I highly doubt they spotted you from that distance, likely it was a much closer one, or a mech. (450 m away.) This is the pop-up range of the turrets.

#27 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

@BlackDeathLegion: It could certainly have been an enemy scout with ECM painting you with a tag laser from outside your detection range... That would be my guess anyway. If you were powered down you would not have been able to see the tag icon.

As for the turrets, I like them. I wish all the Assault maps had turrets. I don't know why they didn't put turrets up closer to the base in the first place on all the Assault maps. Without any buildings at the base, there's nothing to "Assault" anyway. This also adds the complication of having the enemy be able to fall back to their base if they are outnumbered slightly to gain a defensive advantage. While the advantage is small, it can be enough to turn the tide in a close battle.

Edited by Throet, 20 February 2014 - 11:06 AM.

#28 Ward Serpentine

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 78 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

All I can assume is that the turrets use clan tech. LRMs should all have a 180 meter arming distance. With BAP, shielding, Artemis, unlimited ammo AND 150 HPs, they are a tough nut to crack, Not to mention that they apparently can see through buildings and/or have advanced target decay. The good news; apparently the ML turrets are not smart enough to target the CT on a mech when they are firing from partial cover. I had one tearing the crap out of the hill I was standing behind trying to leg me while I was cooking it with my LLs and MLs.

Edited by Ward Serpentine, 21 March 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#29 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

View PostWard Serpentine, on 21 March 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

All I can assume is that the turrets use clan tech. LRMs should all have a 180 meter arming distance. With BAP, shielding, Artemis, unlimited ammo AND 150 HPs, they are a tough nut to crack, Not to mention that they apparently can see through buildings and/or have advanced target decay. The good news; apparently the ML turrets are not smart enough to target the CT on a mech when they are firing from partial cover. I had one tearing the crap out of the hill I was standing behind trying to leg me while I was cooking it with my LLs and MLs.

Paul even mentioned that turrets 'apparently got Clan Tech early'. I think it's even lower minimum range than a PPC, probably to make those guys with PPCs closer fighting them. Now it should be easier though to kill em.

#30 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

From the last patch notes:

Turret Updates
  • Destroying a Turret now rewards the player with 750 CB.
  • Destroying a Turret now rewards the player with 150 XP.
  • Turrets in cocoon mode will now have a damage reduction value of 85% instead of 99%.
So there's that.

Also, I'm not sure if I like them, really. On one hand, it deters a single light from sneaking behind enemy lines and capping the base, making the enemy team turn around and deal with it. Also, if a team is not doing well, they can retreat to base for some turret assistance. On the other hand, it creates even less incentive to capture the base at all, further turning Assault mode into Skirmish. Since turrets were added to every map, very few matches I've played ended from a base being captured, and of those, most were when there was one guy left hiding/shutdown/AFK.

The laser turrets do indeed have a tendency to go for your legs. Maybe it's some kind of thing where it's targeting your feet because that's where the game is saying your coordinates are? I thought I saw one shooting at my CT when it was already critical from earlier combat, but that could have been a fluke. Either way, their targeting system can be out-maneuvered with good cover use or simply uneven terrain.

The LRM turrets are pretty dangerous when firing en masse, especially since the LRM speed buff. If you need/want to confront the enemy base, you'd better bring a lance with a lot of AMS or at least some ranged firepower, or the LRMs are going to soften you up considerably by the time you get there.

#31 Whoops

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 83 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:10 AM

Does ECM affect turrets like it does 'Mech LRMs?

#32 Vimpyr

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostCyron Zarva, on 23 March 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

Does ECM affect turrets like it does 'Mech LRMs?

Nope. I have an Atlas D-DC running ECM. It does not stop them from shooting and hitting me consistently. And yes, I know it is from the turrets because I watch them from launch all the way to impact. LOL. You either need to find cover or go outside the radius to avoid getting hit.

#33 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

That is however supposedly supposed to be fixed in the next patch, or failing that the one after that.

#34 PocketAces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts
  • LocationEverywhere yet nowhere

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

Turret Updates
  • Removing all turrets from a grid reference now rewards the team with 750 CBills and 150 XP for each player
  • Enjoy :rolleyes:

Edited by PocketAces, 20 April 2014 - 11:13 PM.

#35 Nau Firefox

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:26 AM

Look, i'm all for the turrets, but don't put LRM turrets down. In a light mech, if i'm targeted by enemy turrets, I need to immediately get to cover and hide until they stop shooting. I've died to defense turrets being in my locust constantly. I agree we need something to protect against single mechs capping, but lasers can do that, LRM's are impacting the fight way, way too much. I'm more scared of the damn defense turrets than a enemy pilot. It also kills any idea of me flanking the enemy with a few fellow lights, cause the defense turrets will be on us immediately, and locust's can't fit ECM to prevent that.

#36 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

View PostNau Firefox, on 24 April 2014 - 03:26 AM, said:

Look, i'm all for the turrets, but don't put LRM turrets down. In a light mech, if i'm targeted by enemy turrets, I need to immediately get to cover and hide until they stop shooting. I've died to defense turrets being in my locust constantly. I agree we need something to protect against single mechs capping, but lasers can do that, LRM's are impacting the fight way, way too much. I'm more scared of the damn defense turrets than a enemy pilot. It also kills any idea of me flanking the enemy with a few fellow lights, cause the defense turrets will be on us immediately, and locust's can't fit ECM to prevent that.

So you want easy mode caps again, is that what you're saying? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely asking, because that's what you seem to be implying.

#37 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:11 AM

No, his point is that LRMs on them (and apparently C-LRMs at that), especially being they can apparently see through ECM are a bit much.
The 2 medium lasers on each, espcially if it was say, 4 turrets all relatively close the cap point (hell, even on each corner of it), would deter cheap / easy capping, but mitigate the impact they have on the map as a whole.

And I sort of agree, base defence turrets with just Medium Lasers, or even SRMs would be better imo.
Still a threat, still a detterent to cheeky caps, but not a tool that can affect things in a 2000M wide bubble.

Edited by Ovion, 24 April 2014 - 08:12 AM.

#38 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

Amendment:

Turrets now have only 100hp.

ECM now spoofs Turret sensors

Turrets being attack will trigger the "Base is under attack" warning light but no vocal warning is given

Turrets will always target the most damaged portion of the mech except for the LRMs which hit as normal LRMs. If you are cored in the torsos, you have been warned. They hit like aimbots.

LRM turrets, once activated will target mechs up to 1000m

Each base, currently, has 3 MLx2 turrets and 3 LRM10 turrets. This is the equivalent firepower of two medium mechs or one assault mech.

Turrets will continue firing till they are reduced BELOW 0% health. So unless they're a smoking, obviously broken wreck, assume the turret is still functional and put a laser into one.

Edited by Kjudoon, 24 April 2014 - 08:21 AM.

#39 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 24 April 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

Amendment:

Turrets now have only 100hp.

ECM now spoofs Turret sensors

Turrets being attack will trigger the "Base is under attack" warning light but no vocal warning is given

Turrets will always target the most damaged portion of the mech except for the LRMs which hit as normal LRMs. If you are cored in the torsos, you have been warned. They hit like aimbots.

LRM turrets, once activated will target mechs up to 1000m

Each base, currently, has 3 MLx2 turrets and 3 LRM10 turrets. This is the equivalent firepower of two medium mechs or one assault mech.

Turrets will continue firing till they are reduced BELOW 0% health. So unless they're a smoking, obviously broken wreck, assume the turret is still functional and put a laser into one.

I'm not seeing the problem.

#40 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

View PostOvion, on 24 April 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

The 2 medium lasers on each, espcially if it was say, 4 turrets all relatively close the cap point (hell, even on each corner of it), would deter cheap / easy capping

I'm fairly certain that's not true. A pair of lights with any medium/long range weapon is going to wipe those turrets out without ever being threatened.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users