Time To Get Rid Of Missile Bay Door Mechanic

14 replies to this topic

Poll: Get rid of missile bay doors? (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Get rid of missile bay doors?

1. Yes (9 votes [23.68%])

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

2. No (29 votes [76.32%])

Percentage of vote: 76.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:23 AM

No new mechs have this mechanic, so it's pretty much been given up on. it's just a legacy issue on older mechs at this point.

There's not even any point of this mechanic since it doesn't offer any more armor protection when it's closed.

Furthermore, it's terribly implemented. The bay door indicators are poorly lit lights in the cockpit which no one knows about until someone tells you about it.

It's time to get rid of it all together. If not, at least give it a visible HUD icon instead of some arbitrary light in the cockpit

#2 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationRight behind you o.o

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:35 AM

The Kintaro has bay doors on its CT, though I don't know if that can be considered 'new' anymore.

AFAIK the bay doors don't provide armor but protect the launchers inside from being crit (can anyone confirm?)

I have to vote no for this, mainly because I'm biased and like the bay doors on certain mechs. Again I like the indicators in the cockpit rather than on the HUD... I wish there was more of the HUD info displayed in the cockpit to be honest with you.

#3 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:28 AM

Actually, if I recall from a dev post, the launcher doors actually provide some significant damage reduction while closed... Like at least 10%, maybe even more? I forget the exact amount.

If you have no missiles and can just keep the doors closed, it makes those locations significantly tougher.

#4 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:32 AM

Last I read closed bay doors provide 10% damage reduction to that section of the mech.

#5 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

I would prefer if by default they were open, then you had the option to close them during combat if you wanted.

#6 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

This is a bit tricky, because as far as I know, they actually do something. When opened, you forego the tube limitation of that hardpoint.

The real problem here is that neither the doors, nor the tube limitation thing, not even the damage thing is told by the game. The question is: Can they deliver that information properly? Maybe in an advanced weaponry tutorial?
If not, then it's probably better to get rid of it, because it's certainly not a major feature. It's one of those neat little things that make it more nerdy, but the truth is I never used them - the mechanic is more of a hindrance while in the middle of battle. All it does is adding more required button pushed to fire your weapon. Unneccessary overhead.

Please add a third option to the poll for "depends". That is what I would pick.

#7 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

There is NO damage reduction for armor. Once the armor is gone, there is a 10% damage reduction for internal components with bay doors closed. That is all.

NO, opening the doors does not remove the tube limitation for that hardpoint

#8 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

In my opinion they should dump the mechanics behind those weapon doors because they are totally counterintuitive.
When i first ran a mech with those doors the trigger-lag caused by closed doors almost felt like a bug or actual connection lag.
I needed to search the forum (whose search functionality is one of the worst i've ever seen btw) to get enlightened.

What they should do retain however is the optical stuff. It is not necessary to remove the weapon door key and their functionality entirely. Just don't make it a player-unfriendly requirement to use missiles effectively as it is currently and keep it as a nice immersive thing to play around with...

Edited by Daggett, 14 February 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#9 TehSBGX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 911 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

Missle Doors were a wonky mechanic anyways, seeing it go would just be a good idea.

#10 JeepStuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

Agree that the indicator is too subtle, but I like the mechanic. Adds variety.

#11 Colonel Fubar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 650 posts
  • LocationPlanet Agoge in the Mitera System

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

View PostRoland, on 14 February 2014 - 07:28 AM, said:

Actually, if I recall from a dev post, the launcher doors actually provide some significant damage reduction while closed... Like at least 10%, maybe even more? I forget the exact amount.

If you have no missiles and can just keep the doors closed, it makes those locations significantly tougher.

That's how I understood it...Doors are a good thingy! ;)

#12 Firewuff

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

10% damagae reduction is correct. The doors ONLY add a 0.25 second delay to firing when closed. this is not a tragic amount unless its SRM's up close.

#13 Thanatos676

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

Its not that hard to master hitting the button for the doors to stay open..
its also a good thing to have those doors closed sometimes to add the extra meat to your launchers..

#14 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

**** we've already had the art work for missle mechs ruined and the tube count made irrelevent for noobs we needn't go the full derp cuting even more functionality out the game.

can't toggle a door open? back to the steeringwheel underhive you go!

#15 Jay Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 209 posts
  • LocationJumpship in the Periphery

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:54 AM

How the hell am I supposed to wave at people with my Catapults if you get rid of my missile bay doors??!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users