Agree?

Or do you have something else to show me

#2 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

Personally, I'm more inclined to be a huge support troll and hang around the bigbads on my team to help them out.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1e9fdea132ef24f

Probably not 'how it's done' or even 'how most people will do it', but then, I'm crazy.

#3 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

Disagree.

This is what I think is one of the better builds for this mech.

The SLas provide a very nice weapon group to cool down when, inevitably, you get close to overheating using the MLas.

#4 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2c34a5d251da352

If you are hellbent on ams this will be more effective and have less chance of meltploding. Do note that while alpha has decreased, dps has increased and simpler firing chains may be used. Possibly a two button alpha/chain combo.

#5 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

I find energy based lights have a sweetspot around 20 points of damage. The faster you go the more you can get away with in terms of shorter range but you always want to aim for the shortest duration on target possible and the shortest cooldown.

#6 Bacon_Warrior88

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

View PostLunatech, on 20 February 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Disagree.

This is what I think is one of the better builds for this mech.

The SLas provide a very nice weapon group to cool down when, inevitably, you get close to overheating using the MLas.

I get what your doing there. I feel like if your going to use small lasers you mind as well swap it out for MG's on the ember. Granted you only get 1 ams on the ember...oh , and its MC.

#7 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

1. XL295 is not a good engine. I'd say you either go all out XL300, which you can't, or get something that can be used on - or acquired through - other chassis, like XL280.

2. Did you seriously just put ammo in a Light's leg?

3. A single JJ is as good as none.

This is what you should be looking at.

#8 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostTiggo Bitties, on 20 February 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

I get what your doing there. I feel like if your going to use small lasers you mind as well swap it out for MG's on the ember. Granted you only get 1 ams on the ember...oh , and its MC.

SLas require a great deal less time on target to do the same damage. 0.7 seconds for one SLas vs 3 seconds for one MG. That's why I can't get my head round the Ember. It goes against the "hit hard and run" playstyle of lights. To do well with it you pretty much need to hang around for too long.

Imo, your build is too hot (mine is hotter, yes, but you're not firing all the lasers at the same time) and will get crucified by the typical JR7-F. But this is from someone who has an 8Mlas FS9-A, so I'm a hypocrite and proud.

Helmstif, the XL295 has a use in lots of lights. JR7-O, RVN-3L, all the FS9's, some JR7-F builds, etc. I have three and dont regret the purchases. I'm of the opinion that running at ~140kph in a light as tall as the FS9 is likely to end badly. But YMMV.

Edited by Lunatech, 20 February 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#9 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e659485e6695fc2

This is my most recent test build.

The PPC doesn't suffer from the torso placement, as most targets at 90+m will be in your pitch range. The sacrificial arm is a great fire magnet, as people get excited and aim for it as I twist to put it in the way of their fire. 4MLas is pretty good when the situation calls for it.

If I'm behind an assault, this build gives me a 30 point alpha. If I'm close to a light, I can use the 4mlas to fight back as I retreat to my team. Most of the time, I'm throwing off single PPC blasts at 98% heat efficiency.

This is that PPC+2MLas spider 5D build on steroids. In a perfect world, it might be better on the K model to better take advantage of the FS's arms, but that also leaves this build vulnerable to a dramatic decrease in firepower if the wrong arm gets shot off.

#10 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 20 February 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

I find energy based lights have a sweetspot around 20 points of damage. The faster you go the more you can get away with in terms of shorter range but you always want to aim for the shortest duration on target possible and the shortest cooldown.

I tend to disagree. 25 damage is probably a best while 30 is too hot.
It comes into play when you are using 2 alpha.. More mechs with die when hit with 25 damage versus 20 damage in an un-armoured section. As well as a double alpha for 50 damage versus 40 damage.

5 medium lasers was the tourny optimised Jenner F loadout.

edited: added video.

At the 7min 52sec mark.
The first Jager... I was pretty sure a well placed 25 damage alpha right into that open torso is going to kill him and it did.
Single pass kills.. Love it..
I messed up on the second Jager due to terrain and aim deviation.

Edited by ShinVector, 20 February 2014 - 05:53 PM.

#11 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

No reason you have to use all the hardpoints:

JoeyNotABear

If you simply must, then I second Lunatech's take in the third post (or drop two JJ out of mine for two SLs in the CT)

Edited by Terciel1976, 20 February 2014 - 09:15 PM.

#12 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 20 February 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

1. XL295 is not a good engine. I'd say you either go all out XL300, which you can't, or get something that can be used on - or acquired through - other chassis, like XL280.

2. Did you seriously just put ammo in a Light's leg?

3. A single JJ is as good as none.

This is what you should be looking at.

You must be high. XL295 is hands down my most useful engine. My Firestarters, jenners, raven 3L, BJ-1X, Wolverines and a couple more are all built around it. Best plant you can buy IMO

#13 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

Team AMS umbrella. PPC to be annoying, SLs to kill whatever tries to run through.

#14 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

View PostShinVector, on 20 February 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

I tend to disagree. 25 damage is probably a best while 30 is too hot.
It comes into play when you are using 2 alpha.. More mechs with die when hit with 25 damage versus 20 damage in an un-armoured section. As well as a double alpha for 50 damage versus 40 damage.

5 medium lasers was the tourny optimised Jenner F loadout.

edited: added video.

At the 7min 52sec mark.
The first Jager... I was pretty sure a well placed 25 damage alpha right into that open torso is going to kill him and it did.
Single pass kills.. Love it..
I messed up on the second Jager due to terrain and aim deviation.

I average the same amount of damage in my 18 alpha MPL Spider as I do in my 23-28 Slas/Mlas Firestarters. I do similar dmg in a 5 Mlas F but its outside of the realm of discussion as I only alpha strike with that for a sure coup de grace (I run that as a 1-2, 15-10 punch)

If you can max everything out and hit for at least twenty its golden

#15 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

FS9-S

I use the ERPPC at range then maul them with the small lasers up close. :)

#16 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:28 PM

View PostAmsro, on 20 February 2014 - 10:49 PM, said:

FS9-S

I use the ERPPC at range then maul them with the small lasers up close. :)

Ditch the lightning cannon for an ER-Large. you lose 1 point of damage, gain two tons, get more efficient, and have a better chance to make damage on each firing

#17 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 20 February 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

Ditch the lightning cannon for an ER-Large. you lose 1 point of damage, gain two tons, get more efficient, and have a better chance to make damage on each firing

I'm sure that could work, but I like the ERPPC + 6 small laser, they are both very cool separate of each other. Some minor heat management makes it work well.

Besides I already have a ER Large on another Firestarter, I grabbed all 5.

#18 Bacon_Warrior88

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:39 AM

I guesse the real question is.

Why use the FS9-S if your not going to Dual AMS?

#19 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:58 AM

Actually - on that mech I'm a big fan of small pulses - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f895fbf290df24c - no ghost heat on smalls.

Great for wolfpacking - and the double AMS helps protect your wolfpack from streaks. Not to mention the double AMS lets you be useful to your team before you close.

#20 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:57 AM

Disagree as well
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3eb6df54880f3cb
After trying max MLs I found it extremely boring and quite hot, after switching to this build which has more utility, and better heat management I did much better. By the time it was fully elited I had 18 games and a 4.37 KDR, the blinding effect of the flamer makes the difference in fights against slower targets, and the MPL is hidden inside the flame within the flamers range which is a nice suprise. The small lasers have the shortest beam duraton which is why they are in the torso secions and alos give you a cool down weapon group. The AMS could use more ammo but I dont want to risk an ammo explosion, and the ammo should certainly not be stored in your legs if you can help it (especially on a light).

Oh ya Terciel was there and witnessed this build in action he can testify to its effectiveness lol.

Edited by DONTOR, 21 February 2014 - 08:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users