• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

I'll lay these out in the order I'm most interested

Highlander HGN 7332 LRM20 SRM12 2XLLR AC10 "Heaviest Assault"

Victor VTR-9K Gauss 2XERLR SRM12 6XJJ XL "Perch Sniper"

Orion ON1-K LRM20 SRM6 2XLLR AC10 "Heavy Assault"

Atlas AS7-D-DC 2XULAC5 SRM18 2XLLR "Cookie Cutter"

Basically the Highlander has the most firepower but it's only 45KPH. The Orion is very similar in firepower but 55KPH. The Victor is the most nimble of the bunch with full jumping capabilities and long distance impact, but it does use XL. The Atlas is a standby, but delicious brawling. I'm trying to find what I would use besides simply buying the Atlas. And they're all 15-16M

Currently I run a TDR-5S

Edited by GhostWalkn, 11 February 2014 - 08:53 AM.

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

I find my Orion is far too sluggish with anything less than a 300 engine. I guess if you want a slow mech with a lot of punch... But the Orion is bringing significantly less armor to the table to risk running with such a relatively slow XL engine.

#3 GhostWalkn

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

Well my TDR runs XL245 and I have numerous matches 600-700 damage done. At least with a Heavy your hitbox is smaller.

I could justify it with the Victor with its jets at least

I generally just find having more firepower means more survival :)

#4 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

The tiny engine will make the Orion extremely hard to use. It has very slow legs (bad acceleration/deceleration/turning) even with big engines. You will be a sad panda if you try that. XL300 is really a sensible minimum.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

XL engine in an Orion is generally a bad idea; it's capable of really good loadouts without resorting to XL by using a standard 275 to 310 engine.

Mine..

Spoiler

#6 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

Also on the Orion. You generally shouldn't mix SRMs & LRMs. This is due to both only really worth taking when boated. A single SRM 6 is barely worth firing (since you need to lead differently than other weapons) and LRMs are barely worth taking at only 20 - due to AMS. And you really don't have enough LRM ammo anyway.

Try something more along these lines - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7ffd1c3cf2a0f72

I'm still not a huge fan of it - if I go XL I like to be going much faster - and heat's mediocre - but it's something to work from.

Edited by Charons Little Helper, 11 February 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#7 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

View PostGhostWalkn, on 11 February 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

I'll lay these out in the order I'm most interested

Highlander HGN 7332 LRM20 SRM12 2XLLR AC10 "Heaviest Assault"

Victor VTR-9K Gauss 2XERLR SRM12 6XJJ XL "Perch Sniper"

Orion ON1-K LRM20 SRM6 2XLLR AC10 "Heavy Assault"

Atlas AS7-D-DC 2XULAC5 SRM18 2XLLR "Cookie Cutter"

Basically the Highlander has the most firepower but it's only 45KPH. The Orion is very similar in firepower but 55KPH. The Victor is the most nimble of the bunch with full jumping capabilities and long distance impact, but it does use XL. The Atlas is a standby, but delicious brawling. I'm trying to find what I would use besides simply buying the Atlas. And they're all 15-16M

Currently I run a TDR-5S

I'd definitely consider the Victor and Highlander first. The DDC is a decent niche 'mech with some use. The Orion is the weakest of the group, lacking jump jets and falling behind the Cataphract for usefulness.

I'd consider a Victor 9S instead, though. Not only can it run 2x UAC/5 2x PPC meta, but it can also be tweaked to carry SRMs along with various AC configs and such and is far more likely to be what you're looking for.

The Highlander you have setup is kind of a mess; if you're going to drive a Highlander, your best bet is to definitely not try to LRM it. It's way too slow to use them effectively and you don't have enough missiles on there to crack AMS effectively anyway. While you should feel free to toy with it (including streaks), really the best builds all run 2 PPCs, just due to the way it's laid out; 2 PPC + Ballistics also leave you with a "dead torso" that you can use to soak damage between bursts.

View PostCharons Little Helper, on 11 February 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

Also on the Orion. You generally should mix SRMs & LRMs.

I was about to disagree with you then I realized you typo'ed "shouldn't." :)

#8 GhostWalkn

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

What I don't like about the Victor (besides the K) is the arm

LRM20 is pretty low. I mean, I could get LRM30-40 on the highlander (which is my favorite looking assault I'd want) even JJs and decent speed for assault if I wanted to.

like here for instance

it's as fast as it can go. SRM8 and LB10X and 1 LLR... with LRM30. Could live with 1 ton SRM, 4 tons LRM should be plenty.

or here for instance

with STD engine and 2MPL, but same otherwise

Edited by GhostWalkn, 11 February 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#9 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

The Victor is terrible at LRMs; poor missile ports. Definitely use the missiles for (S)SRM only.

#10 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 11 February 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

I was about to disagree with you then I realized you typo'ed "shouldn't." ;)

Doh! Fixed!

#11 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 11 February 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

The Victor is terrible at LRMs; poor missile ports. Definitely use the missiles for (S)SRM only.

Well you can troll with a stream of paired missiles on a 9S, but it really isn't competitive. I've seen this build pretty commonly though (3xLRM15 builds).

One thing I'm going to ask as well OP, how do you like the Thunderbolt, have you mastered it, do you like that gameplay style?
The Highlander and Orion both need more speed to be used correctly. The Victor is not bad, though I doubt it needs all 6 JJs. A bit mixed of a build, and XL. Depends on your style of sniping, if you can poptart supremely, maybe that would work for you. The DDC is not bad of a build at all, and it will work generally though you may want to downgrade lasers for more ammo/armor.

#12 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

If you're not crazy about your Thunderbolt, by all means try out a new mech. However, if you do like that TDR, I'd recommend at least getting 2 more TDR variants first so you can elite them. Once you have all the elite efficiencies unlocked, the basics get doubled which is kind of a big deal. If you don't care for the other two variants then you can sell them off when you're done, and between that cash and what you earn leveling, you should have plenty of C-bills to purchase one of the heavies or assaults you mentioned.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostCharons Little Helper, on 11 February 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

You generally shouldn't mix SRMs & LRMs. This is due to both only really worth taking when boated. A single SRM 6 is barely worth firing (since you need to lead differently than other weapons) and LRMs are barely worth taking at only 20 - due to AMS.

Disagree here. The more SRMs you fire at once, the worse hit detection gets. The server operates at 100 frames per second, anything that happens between 0.01 and 0.02 seconds is null and void. Many SRMs don't truly fire at the same time even when pressed at the same time, causing missiles to fill that gap. It gets worse when the missiles hit the target at different locations while traveling the same speed. While carrying more is better, firing more at once is not.

Also keep in mind that when not boated, they can be fired much more easily and at lower heat. And you'd be surprised at what an LRM-20 can do by itself if you can see the target and it's within a reasonable range. Like SRMs, the more LRMs you fire at once the worse they get in hit detection. The ROFLpult taught me that one. Back when I could alpha 90 missiles without ghost heat, it'd take 3 salvos to kill an Atlas. just before the Catapult art upgrade (gimping the damn thing) it takes 2 full 90 missile salvos or less. This is because 1) fired one at a time the missiles are more center torso bound even without Artemis and 2) better hit registration. Not to mention the ammo you save.

Give it a try. Currently I have a mech killing LRM boat Kintaro mounting 1 LRM-20 with Artemis and twin Streaks. It typically outperforms my twin LRM-15 + twin LRM-5 (no Artemis) alpha strike Kintaro.

#14 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:10 AM

View PostKoniving, on 12 February 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

Disagree here. The more SRMs you fire at once, the worse hit detection gets. The server operates at 100 frames per second, anything that happens between 0.01 and 0.02 seconds is null and void. Many SRMs don't truly fire at the same time even when pressed at the same time, causing missiles to fill that gap. It gets worse when the missiles hit the target at different locations while traveling the same speed. While carrying more is better, firing more at once is not.

Also keep in mind that when not boated, they can be fired much more easily and at lower heat. And you'd be surprised at what an LRM-20 can do by itself if you can see the target and it's within a reasonable range. Like SRMs, the more LRMs you fire at once the worse they get in hit detection. The ROFLpult taught me that one. Back when I could alpha 90 missiles without ghost heat, it'd take 3 salvos to kill an Atlas. just before the Catapult art upgrade (gimping the damn thing) it takes 2 full 90 missile salvos or less. This is because 1) fired one at a time the missiles are more center torso bound even without Artemis and 2) better hit registration. Not to mention the ammo you save.

Give it a try. Currently I have a mech killing LRM boat Kintaro mounting 1 LRM-20 with Artemis and twin Streaks. It typically outperforms my twin LRM-15 + twin LRM-5 (no Artemis) alpha strike Kintaro.

This is pretty much what i have been telling people about SRMs that complain about hits not registering. It is also better that you don't face hump people when using them as well. At 100+ meters they are fine.

#15 GhostWalkn

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

My TDR-5S is a bloated heavy. It's really slow, and really susceptible (besides it being smaller than assault mech) but it provides raw firepower and a broad range of weaponry (4 weapon systems, ER PPC, SRM12 2 tons, x3SLR, x2AC5 4 tons). I've done up to 727 damage with it, and it can do more.

I like having 4 weapons. A lot of the designs I'll configure will have that, it keeps things varied and interesting on the battlefield. I like sniping, just as much as just calling targets and dealing damage, or getting in close and making kills.

Frankly, I have a better chance of killing anyone up close, than they have killing me while in my TDR-5S inside 180M, but I often just take damage for the team because I can, flopping sides, and utilizing its 400 armor. And yeah, it's an XL.

For the Victor I would just change 6/6 JJ to 5/6 JJ and add one more ton of gauss for 40 shots. It definitely it is a really strong build for hill camping, but it lacks the 4th weapon versatility. K only.

I'm not sure what I'd do with the highlander because I don't mind being that slow, and it has a standard engine. Then again I'm only looking at the 32, 33, and 33P. The TAG is interesting.

The Orion still has that TDR-5S likeness being smaller and at least faster than assaults, but it does pack serious heat. I'm only looking at the K and V.

The Atlas... well it probably is the best choice regardless. DC is without question. (at least ECM is not on an energy hardpoint)

Edited by GhostWalkn, 12 February 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#16 GhostWalkn

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

This is a little different, but I think the build is easier to understand. Basically a small, mobile, long range support mech. I could make those small lasers and add another ton of LRM

Trebuchet "M" LRM30 TAG 2MLR 3xJJ XL250 81kph 336 Tons

Edited by GhostWalkn, 12 February 2014 - 10:40 PM.

#17 Terror066

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 132 posts
  • LocationLyranische Allianz / Protektorat Donegal / Tharkad / Tharkad City

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

I would like to say that your Atlas D-DC ist to slow with that Std 300. Drop the Srm´s (bad Hit detection on SRM6) for a bigger engine STD 345 i got in mine. Put some ERLL on it and 2 UAC-5. The same on the Viktor! 1 UAC/5 and 3 LL or if you like 3 ERLL! XL 355 for faster movement Always remember: SPEED IS LIFE!!!

Atlas D-DC! Viktor!

Better cooling efficiency and a little(little little 0,01) more DPS on the Atlas! Give it a try and you will love it. Biggest advantage is the engine which gives you more speed and also faster torsomovement.

Greetz

Edited by Terror 066, 12 February 2014 - 11:49 PM.

#18 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

View PostKoniving, on 12 February 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

The server operates at 100 frames per second,

Putting Battlefield to shame. Interesting.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:40 AM

View PostModo44, on 12 February 2014 - 11:42 PM, said:

Putting Battlefield to shame. Interesting.

The difference between Battlefield and MWO aside from a significantly smaller number of players is that Battlefield (Bf3; I've got Bf4 but still haven't played it) doesn't have to run a server authority. BF3's server simply exists as a communication bridge, but also due to the nature of the game Bf3 communicates the locations and positions of all elements at all times. This kinda bogs it down when you've got 64 players running around and most of the servers being rented are actually mutli-tasking as 'dozens' of servers. You might notice if one server goes down due to technical failures, 11 to 35 other servers go down too.

Can't say anything for Bf4 though.

But beyond that, evidently MWO's servers can be adjusted to change the flow of time. Ever notice in the old days you can go 150 kph like now, but it didn't seem as fast. Yet combat seems faster now too? On youtube for the Grid Iron, that one dude who does those awesome little youtube vids has been claiming to be behind the new style of hero mech vids. In one youtube comment he claims that the match was slowed down to allow him to get the camera angles.

It's neat what you can find out when you critique a video on the page. :P

Claims to be done by

And really, there definitely had to be a change. Instead of the original style of just one hero and easy kills, it's become a style of an army of hero mechs (kinda defeating the hero motif in my opinion) storming people.
Think it would've slid with the X-5; it's a prototype that was deemed too expensive for regular fielding by made-up lore. The others? Owned by one heroic figure. Used by one heroic figure. Evidently mass produced so that everyone and their family can have one. B)

Anyways. Wee!

Edited by Koniving, 13 February 2014 - 07:08 AM.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:08 AM

For Ghost, yeah it's a pity about the Thunderbolt. They start with so much more armor than the Jagers and Catapults, almost as much as a Stalker, but so long as tabletop's everyone gets equal armor concept keeps going it'll be at best useful for this.

Funny it's a mech made for brawling but so long as Jagers can bring their firepower to the field with equal armor and fight, that just won't be possible as the Thunderbolt's just screwed.

Atlas; remember that if you bring an Atlas then the enemy gets that or a Highlander.

The Victor, with luck the other side gets an Awesome, bad luck the other side gets an Orion or a Stalker.

Personally I think Orions outclass Victors.

Orions, you'd be surprised. Mine run beyond a minute of constant fire even on terra therma. It really depends on how you build them. Mine are made to brawl with standard engines, good speed (280 to 310 for engines), and pack 1 to 2 autocannons, streaks, and medium lasers. These mechs are virtually unstoppable until you're faced with a hill while under fire.

This is my hottest Orion. The Orion-K. When it gets warm, I just stop using the lasers.

Alternative but less-liked brawling rigs for the Orion K.
Protector with similar design to my Orion-K. Here you can see one of the greatest perks to the build; you can make a mistake, survive, and still kill people and win. You can also see the reason for my comment on hills.
All of my Orions run on 3 weapon groups. Cannon, primary. Streaks, secondary. Lasers, tertiary.

As for the Highlander if you're an LRM-fiend. Brawling LRM Highlander (originally designed to take out 6 PPC Stalkers). Vid 1 Vid 2 (First vid great victories. Second vid shows what happens if you make a mistake, + energy-heavy no ballistic Highlander build that does quite well even if outmatched).

As for the Trebuchet, I own them all but beyond the 7K I haven't been brave enough to run the others. Honestly I've been waiting for them to get graphical customization (hardpoints that change appearances with different weapons).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users