• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:28 PM

View PostB1zmark, on 15 February 2014 - 04:27 AM, said:

SRM's aren't broken - they just aren't OP anymore. Neither are lasers bad. Mistaking weapon being balanced for being bad is 2 entirely seperate things. looking at raw stats, here is the top 10 weapons in order of DPS/Ton
SMALL LASER
MACHINE GUN
SRM 2
MEDIUM LASER
SML PULSE LASER
SRM 4
SRM 6
STREAK SRM 2
LRM 5

Here is the top 10 Alpha/Ton
SMALL LASER
MEDIUM LASER
SRM 2
SRM 4
SRM 6
SML PULSE LASER
STREAK SRM 2
MED PULSE LASER
SRM 6 + ARTEMIS
LRM 5

AC/20's, UAC5's, PPC etc. all rank extremely low in terms of efficiency-per-ton but are dominant currently due to their utility and play style.

It's worthwhile noting that buffing and nerfing weapons arbitrarily should only be done as a last resort when something is massively wrong (like SRM's splashing) and instead the play style causing weapons to be effective should be addressed instead.

Do you even play this game? Play style? Seriously? I almost think you are trolling. I use my PPC / ACs = easy wins. I use anything else and it is way harder. Not even close.

#282 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

lol @ Small Laser, Small Pulse Laser, SRM2, and MG that is referenced in that post. Someone is clearly playing a different game.

Edited by Deathlike, 23 February 2014 - 12:13 AM.

#283 Noesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:01 AM

View PostCrockdaddyAoD, on 22 February 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

Do you even play this game? Play style? Seriously? I almost think you are trolling. I use my PPC / ACs = easy wins. I use anything else and it is way harder. Not even close.

Its called stick two quantitative characteristics together and think your making a valid point and yet ignoring all other details about the tech or the game or which weapons actually apply good alpha values for a build.

Or in other words trying to put shoes on your hands and doing a handstand for the 110m hurdles thinking it makes sense. ;) :D

#284 Para B

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:27 AM

The main problem is that the entire speed implementation in MW:O is utterly broken.

There are only two ways to solve the problem:

1,) completely overhaul the way XL engines work

2.) introduce weight limits.

Since PGI is probably incapable of doing 1.) we can only hope for 2.) which will probably introduce another host of problems...

#285 Pestilens

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:36 AM

No. no. no. Buffing mediums is a totally wrong-headed approach to this issue, and your assertion of mediums being useless is simply incorrect.

The problem is that the game only has 12 v. 12 death matches with no weight limit and only mechs to shoot at, you can also get into an assault mech as soon as you buy one.

PGI has asserted that all mechs are created equal. Don't buy into this, it's just an excuse for "it's too hard to fix right now."

mechs are not and should not be balanced against one another as equals. They all have roles that they are designed for and rarely rarely rarely is that to be in one of 5 maps in a no holds barred 15 minute 12 v 12 slugfest. The more they balance towards that meta the less likely we are to getting anything better.

#286 ratgoat

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

View PostPestilens, on 24 February 2014 - 02:36 AM, said:

No. no. no. Buffing mediums is a totally wrong-headed approach to this issue, and your assertion of mediums being useless is simply incorrect.

The problem is that the game only has 12 v. 12 death matches with no weight limit and only mechs to shoot at, you can also get into an assault mech as soon as you buy one.

PGI has asserted that all mechs are created equal. Don't buy into this, it's just an excuse for "it's too hard to fix right now."

mechs are not and should not be balanced against one another as equals. They all have roles that they are designed for and rarely rarely rarely is that to be in one of 5 maps in a no holds barred 15 minute 12 v 12 slugfest. The more they balance towards that meta the less likely we are to getting anything better.

I do not understand what you are suggesting at all. So you say, "mechs should not be balanced against one another". So what do we balance mediums against exactly, turrets?

I am all about having more dynamic game modes, but lets be honest here, we have been playing the same game modes since closed beta more or less, and that is unlikely to change ever. I don't recognize skirmish or conquest as being significantly different from assault. And even if we do see some significant game play changes in drop ship or attack/defend, I don't see any reason why mediums wouldn't still be the lowest common denominator of the four classes.

I would prefer balance changes addressing the situation as is, not as maybe something we would like it to be.

Class based match making will be nice when it hits. At least I will know the other team will be running around with as many garbage mediums as my team, but it will not change the fact that they are sub par.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users