52 replies to this topic

#1 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

After taking a few months off to help with our newborn, I'm getting back into MWO. The Saber Pack has been sitting there doing nothing in my inventory, and I've been excited to master them out.

Except: I'm struggling with the Griffin. The 3M is ok. But the other two I just can't find builds that work for me. I loved the Shadow Hawk, and want to love the Griffin as well.

Since they will be out for C-Bills soon, post your Griffin builds here! Help a brother figure this mech out!

#2 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

I've had pretty decent success with this build:

GRF-1N

It works on both the 1N and 3M. You can switch out the streaks for LRMs if you like but then you will have trouble with harassing lights and it makes the build run a lot hotter at range. Torso armor has not been adjusted since thats usually a matter of personal taste.

#3 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

None its a huge target but still
the phoenix variant with 3 laser 3 srm6 artemis max JJ and max engine u can fit.

that was the best i could do with it.
it can score 400-600
If it register... but it usually dont on firestarters and spiders so dont bother shooting them. just run.
oh and face hugging isn't register srms either just 50% of it. So try to keep ur distance around 100 m
however it demolish jaggers and victors and tunderbolts like no other so it isnt that bad

the other one well
2 large lasser 1 large puls 1 med pulse just 1 or 2 JJ and max engine u can fitt
it was ok to get it to basic probably going to sell it its a junk IMHO the wolverine is a lot better but less cool looking ;)

#4 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

GRF-1N

awesome fire support build, I've had plenty fun and success running it.

#5 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

None really. The Griffin isn't that good of a mech imo.

#6 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

The Griffin is a great 'mech that's quite popular in chassis restricted leagues, OP. It's FAR better than the lackluster Wolverine.

Your main builds:

4x SSRM2 2x MPL, BAP, Artemis
4x SSRM2 1x ER Large BAP, Artemis
3x SRM6+Artemis + 2 ML Super Centurion
1x LRM15 1x LRM10 1x LRM5 1x TAG BAP, Artemis

--

Basically the Griffin has better ports and missile hardpoints - while SRMs aren't top rate right now, if it's missile based the Griffin is slightly superior to the Shadow Hawk.

#7 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

My feelings on the Griffin are lukewarm at best, I just can't make a loadout work to my liking that isn't let down by missile mechanics and the exceptionally easy to remove right arm.

My GRF-1N(P) is the one I perform the best in despite how easy the mech is to disarm, because it can poke people at range and packs a nice wallop (when it works) up close.

The GRF-3M is the one I want to like because it is the variant least able to be disarmed, but PGI's insistence on giving it lots of missile hardpoints instead of emphasizing this variants unique left torso energy slot killed it before it even left the gate. The most successful loadouts I've tried in this have both left me wanting and usually dead, both SSRMs and LRMs.

The GRF-1S pretty much exemplifies the problems of the 1N by adding MORE hardpoints to that easily removed arm. Also because how PGI's stupid hardpoint allotment it plays more like a stock 3M, packing the big missile launchers at range because it can't afford to get close and lose that arm. My most successful GRF-1S pretty much just hangs back pretending to be half a Stalker.

#8 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

Here are my Griffin builds.

GRF-3M
3M Streak Light hunter
4x SSRM2 w 4t
2x MPL
XL 350
10 DHS
4 JJ

The swarm of 8 SSRM is often enough to get pass even Firestarter's twin AMS. Failing that, the two pulse laser give you some concentrated damage and exploit any breach caused by SSRMs.
Goes 103kph before tweak, and 113kph after speed tweak.
When fighting larger mech, use the JJ to hop behind them and alpha strike their back before running off.

GRF-1N
Brawler 1N
3x MLaz
2x ASRM6 w 3t
STD 275
12 DHS
3 JJ

Move with the pack and engage enemy in close quarter.
Make use of JJ to spread damage and use your left side as a shield to as much damage as you can.
Similar to the 3M, jump jet to enemy's back as often as possible.
This is my favourite Griffin.

GRF-1S
1S LRM support
1x LRM10
1x LRM15 w 6t
3x MLaz
TAG
BAP
XL 275
12 DHS
1 JJ

A fast LRM support with 40+ shots 25 LRMs, still debating whether or not to upgrade to Artemis IV.
I do not particularly enjoy the low mounted TAG in the arm, have to expose the mech too much to use it properly, so it will often move with the pack and hide among friendly mech and launch missile into brawls.
The single jump jet is for mobility, the 3 MLas on chain fire for point defend or when LRM ammo are dry.

#9 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:22 AM

There is one basic load-out that works well on all three variants:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c0897b3ddebe267

variations in number of launchers to give total 30 tubes are to your taste. Artemis, TAG and BAP are obligatory.

Now 3M has several more interesting variants:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...769c1c72f73c784

ERPPC in the shoulder proves to be great and well protected asset. Snipe from the distance, or jump in close and don't forget that while you are a very good damage dealer at close range against any target, you are the one to switch to shooting lights if any around. And jump Lola JUMP all the time. Best fight I've ever been to had finished with me with no arms, no armour left whatsoever and only one leg relatively intact.

Now http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9e87a5f0ffce9c7
this I find to be even more fascinating build... and extremely fun when you learn to use tag to support your streaks and switch between/combine SSRMs and LRMs. Those lights won't escape and ALRM20 does a pretty good job too.

Classic centurion-shaped builds with SRMs and ML/MPL/LL/LPL -s are pretty easy to figure out - depends on what you preferred on your cents. Important note though - yes Griffin has very nice arms to shield you... nice in terms of they will shield you up to the end, but not necessarily being intact. Losing arms is easy on these toys, that's why you shouldn't store all your weaponry there.

#10 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

Looks like they are patching in the Griffin today! Anyone have a good 1S build they really like? I was thinking of using a standard engine but the load outs are so anemic.

#11 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

View PostSandro Mc, on 18 February 2014 - 04:22 AM, said:

There is one basic load-out that works well on all three variants:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c0897b3ddebe267

only the "hunch" launcher has enough tubes to fire an LRM15 in one whoosh, the lower torso ones only have 10. so instead of two LRM15s, it's more efficient to go with LRM20 and LRM10. same number of missiles per salvo, but they all fly in one big cloud.

#12 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:48 AM

I've been having some success with this build:
GRF-1N
It may be a little over cooled, but it provides speed, ranged direct fire ability, and enough streaks to keep the Firestarter packs at bay for a while.

So I've got the 1N with dual ER LL. My 3M has the PPC and 4 SSRM2 build. How can I use a Zombie 1S and have the playstyle feel different?

Edited by Marauder3D, 25 February 2014 - 08:59 AM.

#13 JayVrb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 507 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

I have had wild success with my generalist GRF-3M. I know it's a jack of all trades but there's literally nothing it can't do (save rain some LuRmZ) and i have super big fun time running it.

The 2 Larges are respectable firepower from all ranges and honestly where MOST of your damage throughout the map will come from, as you'll almost always be in range with them. The SRMs are extra DPS on bigger mechs for brawling. The Streaks + BAP will provide fly-swattage and also DPS for any mech. Plenty of jump jets for maneuverability. Plenty of speed for survivability. Have fun ;)

Edited by Vrbas, 28 February 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#14 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

any, and I mean anyone reading this.....START with the 1N, THEN the 1S, and wrap it up with the 3M, the first two are not worth keeping. The grind is painful. I knew the 1N would be the "worse" so I didn't bother with DH's, just endo. 1S showed potential, but...the 3 is the end game.
Starting with the 3M just means the other two are insufferable.
inflatablefish had a decent, but expensive idea, close to what I used for the 1N
the 3M now this is what has been working best- for me- your mileage may vary

GRF-3M

#15 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

I have been having success with 2x LLAS, 3x SRM4, endo, ferro, 6 JJ and a 275 STD on my 1N.

#16 Guitar Czar

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

Man, I really want to get a Griffin because I think they look cool as all hell (and the cockpit visibility seems amazing,) but I'm just barely finishing leveling my Shadowhawks and I'd like to just play for a while rather than go right back to the grindstone. Is it really worth it or should I just wait for the Wolverines to come out for C-Bills? Cause so far the reception from most people has seemed to be so-so.

#17 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostGuitar Czar, on 01 March 2014 - 10:58 PM, said:

Man, I really want to get a Griffin because I think they look cool as all hell (and the cockpit visibility seems amazing,) but I'm just barely finishing leveling my Shadowhawks and I'd like to just play for a while rather than go right back to the grindstone. Is it really worth it or should I just wait for the Wolverines to come out for C-Bills? Cause so far the reception from most people has seemed to be so-so.

I'm mastering out the Griffon now and dabbling in the Wolverine. The problem with the Wolvie is that it's hitboxes are a bit bigger than the Griffin IMO. Also, it doesn't have the ridiculous torso twist abilities of the Griffin either. If you love the aesthetics of the Wolverine, then go for it. Otherwise, the Griffin seems to be a bit better due to the crazy torso twist and great hit boxes.

View PostSpheroid, on 01 March 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

I have been having success with 2x LLAS, 3x SRM4, endo, ferro, 6 JJ and a 275 STD on my 1N.

I'm impressed you can get all that on there with the standard engine. Is that thing fully armored?

#18 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nwe9JyTIwo

you tube on my griffin

#19 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

@Marauder: 340/370 armor with the legs and shield arm giving up the difference.

Edited by Spheroid, 02 March 2014 - 04:22 PM.

#20 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e92c9f57193de05

I've come to like this. Good medium range fighter with punch and maneuverability. Wish I had a bit faster engine but I used what I had lying around.

Edited by TripleEhBeef, 06 March 2014 - 10:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users