#41 XXRAZERBACKXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 347 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego, CA , USA

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:27 AM

I too have been away due to a baby as did the OP.
Last night I tried out a griffin 3m and it was a blast and found this thread cuz I was just searching other builds for the other varients.
I was verry impressed. Here is my build minus smurfy it crashed at the end of making my build lol

endo
artemis
DHS

XL290
full armor

arms -

LT- ER LL , 5ton srm ammo, 2 JJ

CT - engine, JJ

RT- Srm6 2Srm4

Legs- 4jj

Zoom Module

Pretty much pop tart or hide early in match and snag people with ERLL. Then if they got in close SRM the **** out of them and run away(or fly). Left the arms empty with great reason. They are prefect shields against incoming weapons fire.

So my best match last night was about 600 damage (keep in mind im rusty and learning to play on 3 screen set up thats new too.) I have a new fav mech though it was just downright fun. :D

Also the damm thing just looks real cool.

I have phranken skin then colors are batleship grey for main pcgamer black for blood and mantis for bones. I didnt think I was going to get back into this game but that mech might of saved it for me ;)

#42 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:26 AM

GRF-1S
Here is what i have been running. Debating on removing the JJ's since I rarely use them and would rather have the heatsinks.

Edited by mogs01gt, 30 June 2014 - 05:28 AM.

#43 Macksheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:16 AM

I ended up with all of my Griffins being LRM skirmishers; 3xLRM10, 4xLRM5 and a 10/15 combo.

I did have streaks on the one w/ 4 missile hardpoints for a while (and 2 PPCs) but abandoned that as it started to look too much like my other 55 tonners.

#44 Ghengis Cohen

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 58 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:36 AM

All my GRFs have max engine and max JJ w/Streaks and MLS or MPLS. Works well for hunting lights and other mediums, and the 3 and 4 ssrm builds can be devastating at the end of a game. The key is to loiter a bit for the first part of the match, let the missles and PPCs fly, then use your superior mobility to weave in and out of battle striking slower targets. Of course, on Alpine you'll have a tough time surviving, but the other maps play well enough.

If you can get a medium pack of 3 or 4 similiar GRFs, or SHD/WVR, you can really tear it up!

The GRF handles like a sports car. Really sweet! Use that and the 116 kph top speed to your advantage.

Best

#45 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:04 AM

The only Griffin worth having, loving it:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...69a9096cf298acf

Yes, yes i know it's meta but who gives a t*ss if it's stupid but works then it's not stupid.

#46 Cellinor

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:46 PM

I have been experimenting with the Griffin and have had a hell of a time. I am using XL's and am getting creamed regularly. Any have luck with the standard engine in these guys?

#47 Tybo

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:12 PM

is the griff that much better than a shd 2d2?

#48 Hamish McPiton

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 81 posts
  • LocationFishing out of my cockpit hatch.

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:00 AM

View PostTybo, on 08 December 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

I have both and i wouldn't say they are better or worse, just different. The 2D2 has a ballistic hard point and the closest to ballistics you get with Griffs is a PPC. Really I think it's the ability to put 7 Jump Jets on the Griffs that make it different, and only using a couple (or none) is a waste of the chassis.

A jumpy mixed range missile mech - hammer them with that LRM 15 at range, then use the two medium lasers and the SRM4's for defense or to finish off the enemy - use both LRM 15 and SRM4 cooldown modules.
GRF-3M

A jumpy single PPC sniper with tons of SRM4 goodness and two shield arms - use both the PPC and SRM 4 Cooldown modules AND the SRM4 range modules and you can hit fools at more than 300 meters with your SRM's. At close range just hammer with the SRMs and forget you even have the PPC. ERPPC is too hot.
GRF-3M

This is a hot and hard to use but killer when it does Dual-PPC sniper build - play him like a Guass Jager - hide and never charge out alone - the SRM4's are just for close range defense.
GRF-3M

Those just three quick builds I have used on the 3M - I think the other Griffins are kind of meh at best.

Edited by Hamish McPiton, 13 December 2014 - 06:30 AM.

#49 Orion Leftwind

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:01 PM

I preferred the Griffin 3M (1N was OK, did not like the 1S at all)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...66b7c5b035d24d1

#50 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:43 PM

View PostCellinor, on 08 December 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

I have been experimenting with the Griffin and have had a hell of a time. I am using XL's and am getting creamed regularly. Any have luck with the standard engine in these guys?

Use those that amazing torso twist and those huge shield arms to spread damage What build are you using?. Just played a match on HPG in this build. Results:

Posted Image

Just be a terror, flanking the big slow mechs when you can.

View PostTybo, on 08 December 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

As an SRM brawler, yes.

#51 Cellinor

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

My Sparky is 6 medium laser build with 360 XL.
My 1N has the points for Mastery
My 3M (new purchase) is mostly still stock with er ppc, medium pulse, and 4x SRM 4 with a 275XL. I am considering switching to a Standard engine with 4X SRM4 and 2 medium lasers

#52 Johnny Two Legs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:41 PM

I tried to love the Griffin as a fast LRM mech... I really did. Didn't work for me.

So I got frustrated with it, around 3 months ago, and designed my builds around the following premise:
  • Artemis SRM's of either the 4 or 6 variety
  • Either LL or 3 ML's
  • JJ's - usually 3-5
  • As big XL as possible
I use it as a Striker - don't go out by yourself early on, add you firepower to a Heavy/Assault brawl, dive in and out when doing so and lastly if you find a mech with an exposed torso or two - pick on it mercilessly.

You have the speed 95+km/h, the expendable left arm to block, amazing torso twist to aid the frenetic jump/run in and out style this build favours, and the speed of your torso twisting means you can spread the damage out easily.
Also, quick snap firing SRM's accurately in the midst of a brawl, whilst running/jumping/turning is... so so sweet.

I PUG around 95% of the time.
1N: my KDR is 2.16, my W/L is 1.3, average damage is 460 for over 200 games.
3M: my KDR is 1.41, my W/L is 1.00, average damage is 327 for around 50 games.
The 1S is my weakest variant. I've struggled with this. Ugghh...

I think these figures are relatively good for PUGging and for me showcase what this mech is capable of.

J2L

#53 BoldricKent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:32 AM

While i run Sparky(xl330,4jj,2LL,4ML) and 1N(xl300,6jj,3ML,3ASRM6) very standard, i run 3rd 3M as moving support
mech GRF-3M , planty of ammo for Lrms, sholder mounted ER Large for peeking, nice jumping and torso twist, stay at flank
and never stop moving, best results in 200-550 bracket, where you can cross match at least 2 weapon systems.Sweet spot in 200-300 meters, where ERLarge, Lrms do a lot of armor shredding while streaks go crit hunting. Runs really cool, not mano a mano mech, but with great mobility and streaks can sweep damaged units towards end almost like lights do.
I prefer Griffins over Shadowhawk and both of them over Stormcrow, JJ make such huge difference.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users