What To Do Next...

49 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

I am struggling to figure out what i wan't to do next... here are my options and want's.. But i am unsure what direction to go...

first, i have mastered 3 HBK's and 4 cataphracts, i pretty much like them all.. well outside of the 4P.

here is what i am wandering what i should do with my cash... standing around 8m right now...

I have unlocked zoom, and capture speed modules, but have not bought, also have enough GXP for Info gathering, or 360 retention, or the loss of site retention, but that would mean more money grinding to us the one i unlock as well..

considering leveling up my raven, i have a 3L, but that would mean buying the 2x and 4x,.. they could really use the cap module as well as info gathering..

Playing with the 2x and 4x does seam appealing for this AC lover

My dragon, I have the 5n which i like, and the one with Dual Streaks, and dual AC-5's, along with dual MPL, seems like it could be a really fun mech. Light hunter/lance support? The drawback here, the last mech i want in this group is the Flame, and i will be waiting for a sale.. so kinda thinking i could push this back till i grab the flame.. then again nothing wrong with playing with just basics for the time being.

Get my atlas going,, this thing needs a bigger engine as the std 300 is just way to slow for me, Was wondering what people use for typical engines in the DDC, I was thinking like a 340? 350? Was thinking Lasers, an AC, and streaks with Bap/guardian any idea on what size engine is worth using in an atlas? Id like to stay away from an XL too.

Or go with something new, Really torn between the Jager's with the cool ballistic set ups, Or going with a mech that i really love the look/style of, and i think it would fit me nicely.. the new thunder bolts.. But each of these sort of are like my mechs i have, to me the thunder bolt is sorta dragonish, and the jager, sorta cataphractish.. (are those words?)

I'm kinda leaning towards just working on all the stuff i already have,, buying modules, and getting new mechs to level to master, But seeing i have been sitting on this stuff for 6+ months easy, the new shiny ones are calling me.. So what to do.. oh what to do...

#2 SkkyHigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 201 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

too many toughts in one post...

What's the question?

It's DOUBLE XP Weekend, buy the mechs that you need to master the mechs you have then sell them and get another mech.

#3 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

The Raven 4X is fun to play. Throw in a XL275, 2 MGs, SRM6, and 2 MLs, and 2-3 JJs, and it's a fast strike mech that can peal off armor pretty well.

The 2X... yeah, it's an inferior jenner, but it's not hoirid.

Go Raven.

#4 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

Sounds good so far!

If you enjoy ACs and ballistics, I recommend a 2x UAC/5 2x PPC Victor or Highlander if you want a different flavor of Cataphract play style, a Shadow Hawk if you'd like to try bringing ACs (2x AC5 1x PPC) to excellent mediums, or even Jagermechs if you don't mind being highly fragile.

The Raven 3L with 2 ER LL and ECM is a fun, viable way to play lights. I highly recommend picking the UAV Module upgrades up; it'll let you rank the poor Raven variants very easily.

#5 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

I would say go Raven or Atlas. Dragon you may want to wait until you can purchase some of the other things and Flame.

#6 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

I agree with Victor on the UAV upgrades. When used properly, it will spew out XP for all your leveling needs in the future! In addition to being useful in and of itself. The arty strike could also be fun down the line. Those just require GXP to get what you want (don't purchase the modules that go with the arty and airstrike that decrease the area of bombardment but are not the strikes themselves!)

I'd also recommend you level up one of your existing chassis, whichever needs the least work first. Then you can spread out to something new. And there is no harm in saving Cbills for firestarters that come out soon or later on, clan mechs.

#7 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

Go for the Ravens, even though they are the most expensive lights in the game so far (in C-Bills) they will cose much less than the Dragon Variants. Once done with them, I'd say move to the Dragons.

#8 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:41 AM

View PostBront, on 16 February 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

The Raven 4X is fun to play. Throw in a XL275, 2 MGs, SRM6, and 2 MLs, and 2-3 JJs, and it's a fast strike mech that can peal off armor pretty well.

The 2X... yeah, it's an inferior jenner, but it's not hoirid.

Go Raven.

I'm thinking that 4x with 2 er large(or just large) and 2 mg might work better, no need to get close. Comes with xl 265 and 2 jj just in case. Came up with this idea while i was watching a 4x with above build struggling when we were overrun.

Edited by dragnier1, 17 February 2014 - 01:44 AM.

#9 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:47 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 17 February 2014 - 12:06 AM, said:

Go for the Ravens, even though they are the most expensive lights in the game so far (in C-Bills) they will cose much less than the Dragon Variants. Once done with them, I'd say move to the Dragons.

If by "move to" you mean "run away from" then I agree on the Dragons. They are Awesome level bad.

Edited by Victor Morson, 17 February 2014 - 01:47 AM.

#10 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:56 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 17 February 2014 - 01:47 AM, said:

If by "move to" you mean "run away from" then I agree on the Dragons. They are Awesome level bad.

In my experience, the Dragon can be at least OK with enough skill (as in, provide consistent results regardless of the team quality). The Awesome can not (you can have awesome matches, but if the team is bad, it is really bad for you). I do agree that neither is recommended unless one is really done with the good mechs.

#11 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:05 AM

Actually I think I'd seriously rather have an Awesome over a Dragon rather consistently. The Dragon hardpoints are just so bad on top of it's hitbox and other problems; the Lower Arm blocks it from doing much with it's ballistics, it's torso missile slots that can't fit anything.. it's just such a mess.

#12 mikelovskij

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

HOW CAN U DISLIKE THE 4P? :lol:

#13 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:11 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 17 February 2014 - 02:05 AM, said:

Actually I think I'd seriously rather have an Awesome over a Dragon rather consistently. The Dragon hardpoints are just so bad on top of it's hitbox and other problems; the Lower Arm blocks it from doing much with it's ballistics, it's torso missile slots that can't fit anything.. it's just such a mess.

Until you learn to aim while going at full speed. The lack of this skill is the direct result of poptarting all day.

#14 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:17 AM

View PostModo44, on 17 February 2014 - 02:11 AM, said:

Until you learn to aim while going at full speed. The lack of this skill is the direct result of poptarting all day.

Except that poptarting isn't even really the focal point of the meta anymore. I find it hilarious that so many people think it is, including apparently PGI. That's really not what's going on anymore. It is but one minor combat move in the greater scheme of things.

And the Dragon is no better at firing full speed than a Shadow Hawk or even a Quickdraw something. It's the same skill executed on something that's not terrible and impairing.

#15 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 17 February 2014 - 02:17 AM, said:

And the Dragon is no better at firing full speed than a Shadow Hawk or even a Quickdraw something.

Actually, it is. Only certain mechs have the torso and arm range+speed to really compete. Having to twist the entire mech to aim really does change the game. You keep missing these facts in your rants.

#16 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:10 AM

Victor, we've had this discussion multiple times on multiple threads. You have your opinions, the rest of the community has theirs. Neither of those are relevant to the OP's request, as such let's not derail the thread from it's real purpose.

EDIT: Cuz Grammarz is hard yo. XD

Edited by IraqiWalker, 17 February 2014 - 06:11 AM.

#17 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 17 February 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

Victor, we've had this discussion multiple times on multiple threads. You have your opinions, the rest of the community has theirs.

Except that the few people that keep endorsing things like Dragons to newbies in this is not "the rest of the community." I'd say the vast, vast majority of the current MW:O community agree that things are a joke, and are often the punchline even on these forums elsewhere.

In other words, since the Dragon arrived even before we had way better options in the role, it's been terrible. I'm actually surprised there's so few supporters of the Awesome here; the Dragon might actually be worse, yet the majority of people at least seem to agree the Awesome is total junk you wouldn't wish on your enemies.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

I think the reasoning behind the incredible Dragon support and not much Awesome support is the lack of trial Awesome champion mechs.

The Dragon trial has been around, people have learned to use it, and some grow to like or even prefer it. While it has problems and now takes CT hits more akin to a Catapult (front-side = CT, middle-side = ST) it also has some reasonable merits. Entirely arm-based arsenal for most who use it with a very wide movement range. Good top speed potential for its size. Able to run meta AC and PPC rigs but excels better at other ones. Can hit things without having to expose the shoulder or even the head (corner shooting with only the arm exposed) without getting the convergence on something closer than your gun.

However, as a starting mech it is not recommended except to those who want to learn advanced skills very early in a crash course of misery.

It's like the difference between:
Starting with the best, learning point and click, but feeling useful instantly and then spending years learning and trying to cope with enemies that have developed their skills until developing their own within a high-end and unforgiving atmosphere when it's far too late.
Or.
Starting with something low-end and requiring advanced skills but put up against many players that don't yet know what they're doing; giving the new player the time to learn and make mistakes and advance your personal skills and tricks, and quickly graduating so that when they do turn to competition they will have a set of skills completely foreign to high end players that weren't in closed beta and able to outwit the simple point and click players.

To use the Dragon is like the second one, except on day one the teacher (your mech) shoves your face in the mud, stomps on you, and gives you a 30 page test on stuff you know nothing about. If you pass the test, you'll be amazing and pass the months of learning the hard way within 2 week. If you fail the test, well there's always the point and click builds and maybe a year until graduation.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

Random side note: Through testing, a mech exposing only the arm does not show up on sensors.
Bad note: The tactic requires a spotter that can maintain a lock; limiting the concept to premades only.
Good note: Developing this is a sign of ingenuity and works with and without the delayed convergence (before and after).
(As a direct result of the removal of delayed convergence, however, the 'pop for a second and pop back in' part of it is no longer required to calibrate a range and there is no longer a time limit of effectiveness).

Note: Third person causes something very weird to happen in trying this.
Note: Use simple building or wall shapes as cover, complicated building shapes usually have invisible walls beyond the walls and can warp aim.
Note: Only a dead person uses the same cover over and over. Much like a dead poptart.

Edited by Koniving, 17 February 2014 - 10:45 AM.

#20 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

View PostKoniving, on 17 February 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

However, as a starting mech it is not recommended except to those who want to learn advanced skills very early in a crash course of misery.

You have described perfectly my first ~1000 matches. Yes, mastering the Dragon was the first thing I did.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users