Cpu Usage

4 replies to this topic

#1 Techno V1king

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

When i go into task manager and try to set the CPu usage to high it says access denied, when my friend does this he has no problems.

Its telling me my access is denied.

#2 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

You have to access task manager as an administrator.

In your normal task manager, there is a button at the lower left hand corner that says "Show all processes". Click that button, then press "Yes" on the next dialogue asking you to confirm, and type in your admin password if necessary. Now, when you go to set the process priority, you can set it to any priority you like. You can also change which cores the game uses by setting the "Affinity".

#3 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:17 PM

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS ANYWAY???

DON'T change the priority of your programs unless you have a very very specific and good reason to do so! The defaults are just fine! If you are having performance issues, close down background tasks instead!

Making something as CPU hungry as MWO could cause other normal things to become less stable because they are less responsive.

#4 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:39 PM

Modern multi-core CPUs should have no problem dealing with any single process being set to higher priority as long as the process does not use more than the number of cores in the processor. For MWO, I believe the game will use up to 2 cores. On my quad core, there are zero stability problems with setting the process to "Real Time" priority. Your mileage may vary.

Closing processes will not achieve the same effects as raising priority because Windows has hundreds of different background processes.

Raising the priority of the game's process gives you a slight but perceptible advantage in responsiveness, which translates into a significant increase in accuracy and hit detection (due to better correlation between what is happening on screen vs what is happening on the server).

You can increase these benefits further by setting your number of pre-rendered frames to the minimum allowable amount (1 frame for Nvidia drivers), disabling post-processing and shaders, and using a zero input lag monitor.

Remember that the "lag" experienced in the game, discounting server side processing is something like:

Lagtotal = 2*Laginternet + 2*CPUcomputetime + GPUrenderingpipe +Monitorinputdelay + ControlInputDelay

Internet lag and cpu lag are times 2 since you are getting delay downloading from a server and processing, and then when you do something it takes about the same amount of time to get the info to the server.

So, to see your real lag, it's approximately:

Ping = 75-120 ms (for me)
CPUtime = not sure but maybe 20 ms (I'm including delays on your PCI bus, NIC stack etc).
GPUlag = 1 sec / fps * #prerendered frames ~ 8ms to 60 ms
MonitorInput delay = 1ms (good monitor) to 50 ms (bad)
Control input delay = 2 ms (500 Hz) mouse to 8 ms (ms standard)

These are rough numbers. They don't accurate represent the combined effects of lower resolution sampling, etc.

Now, let's say you start with my 75 ms ping, and use optimized settings. Right now I'm get something like:

LagJiggly = 2*75 ms + 2*10 ms + 15 ms + 25 ms (my gaming monitor is not very good) + 2 ms = 212 ms

Now, let's say you didn't optimize and used the upper end of these delays:

Lagnotoptimized= 2*75 ms + 2*20 ms + 60 ms + 50 ms + 8 ms =303 ms

Then at the exact same ping, I end up with a 90 ms advantage in the responsiveness of the game. We can have the exact same reflexes and the exact same skills, but I'll get that shot in a little faster, be a little more accurate, every time. If you don't care about winning, it's not a problem. However, if you do care about winning, the little small differences in how well we can fight build up to a big advantage for me over the course of a match.

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 17 February 2014 - 12:03 AM.

#5 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:37 AM

You can't actually disable post-processing or shaders in the game config because of the effect it has on visibility and doing so using other software is considered cheating. Minimizing lag with other means should be okay though.

I seriously doubt anyone is playing this on a monitor with a 50ms delay, most games are practically unplayable with a monitor that bad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users