Dynamic Mech Portraits - Pic Inside

27 replies to this topic

Poll: Dynamic Mech Portraits - Pic Inside (102 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you prefer a portrait-style mech icon?

1. Yes (77 votes [75.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.49%

2. No (4 votes [3.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.92%

3. Both are fine with me (21 votes [20.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:31 PM

View PostDymlos2003, on 17 February 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

Yeah I remember Russ saying that this is coming down the line. I like the idea a lot!

lol. Feb 2014 "is coming down the line"

View PostBurktross, on 08 May 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

Don't know how this got bumped, but by God it deserves it!
+All the supports

Voting on a poll bumps a thread. This one was linked to in a thread about the new UI currently on the test server.
http://mwomercs.com/...amic-portraits/

Edited by Troutmonkey, 10 May 2015 - 05:31 PM.

#22 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

It would be a lot easier to find mechs quickly if you could look for their camo patterns and weapons layouts, at the moment over 90% of the space in the mechbay is wasted on pictures of mechs that all look the same, excepting the occasional hero or limited mech. The actual information you need to find the mech you want is a tiny bit of text underneath a huge picture, so this would be a massive improvement.

#23 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:55 PM

I won't ever use this design, but I want an option for the present version if this ever becomes implemented. I have seen far too many good implementations removed and forgotten, without an option to the user to change to the old option/feature if they don't like it, just because of a few people at the present time like something, when in reality the entire user-base might not. I remember when Hawken was introduced and we had a flood of non-sense on the forums about all sorts of garbage ideas. Some days I feel some spilled through and were used to tarnish this game. Options need to be in place for any sort of implementations at this point to revert to other settings. The game has been around far too long to not have them!

#24 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:43 PM

View Postm, on 11 May 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

I won't ever use this design, but I want an option for the present version if this ever becomes implemented. I have seen far too many good implementations removed and forgotten, without an option to the user to change to the old option/feature if they don't like it, just because of a few people at the present time like something, when in reality the entire user-base might not. I remember when Hawken was introduced and we had a flood of non-sense on the forums about all sorts of garbage ideas. Some days I feel some spilled through and were used to tarnish this game. Options need to be in place for any sort of implementations at this point to revert to other settings. The game has been around far too long to not have them!

Options for making the UI less readable? Sorry but that's just not a good idea, dynamic mech portraits would be a straight upgrade over the current system, there's simply no reason to give players the option to use the old mechbay view if this ever gets implemented.
Alternate display options should all contain all the most important information visible at a glance and the current one does not. You might want to switch your HUD from paperdoll to HTAL or something similar, but reverting to a display that doesn't give you all the most important information should not be possible.

#25 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:19 AM

View Postm, on 11 May 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

I don't think it would be too much to ask to choose between dynamic or pre-existing classic thumbnails.
However, I think the classic portraits would mostly be obsolete after this change, these dynamic portraits are literally showing you what you mech looks like before you even click on it.
I think when you begin to realize the advantages with dynamic thumbnails, you'll soon realize that classic thumbnails are holding you back.

I understand people have personal preferences, but there are times where the new feature or change is a sensible replacement for what is being replaced, and there's no need for holding onto out-dated things.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 13 May 2015 - 11:20 AM.

#26 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:49 PM

View PostMahnmut, on 17 February 2014 - 02:19 AM, said:

I specifically asked this questions in one of ATD's a while back and was told it was coming with UI 2.0. Too bad it wasn't in for it's launch. Who knows if they will get around to it...

When we get UI for workgroups

#27 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:03 PM

Posted Image

#28 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:00 PM

<Ofcourse, yes! Also make it so our names we give our mechs are shown (in-game too, as an toggable option would be great!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users