• LocationGeorgia

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

Griffin! Griffin! Griffin!

#22 JohnAzussa

Rookie

• 8 posts

View PostKyle Polulak, on 18 February 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

Not too long. An hour max, but it all depends if the patch passes QA.

First, let me just say that I have only worked in software development as a manager and an engineer for 20+ years.

You are telling us that you dont QA it fully until AFTER you release it to the public?

#23 Darius Bane

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationNottingham, UK

Nice work on getting the hotfix out so quick folks ;)

Griffin for C-Bills too? Gonna check me one of them bad boys out! :)

#24 ConanTheGamer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 18 February 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

Now hotfix me a Maurauder ;)

And while your at it, how about a Whammy? (I know you can't but I still have to ask.)

#25 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostKyle Polulak, on 18 February 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

Not too long. An hour max, but it all depends if the patch passes QA.

Um... shouldn't something pass QA before you say "hey we have a hot fix"? I mean, speaking as a developer, this sentence is scary. It makes me think you don't actually test things on a test server at all, and production (read that: players, your customer base) is the test platform. You have a public-facing test server, I'd assume you also have a private test server or the test server is dual-purposed and this patch should have been tested on that first... that should be your QA. There shouldn't be any need for it "to pass" anything if you're applying it to your production side unless your devs are fumbling around and there are disparities between test and prod.

If you need actual QA management, I'm available for ridiculous sums of US dollars.

#26 Gambyt

• Pip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAlmada, Portugal

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

I second this request :)

#27 mp00

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 319 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIn a bottle, Canada

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

Well done and good job on the quick fix and hearing the chants from outside the front door for Griffins. *Pitchfork and torches put away..for now

#28 Hannibal Chow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 143 posts
  • LocationGibson FWL

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

Muwhahahaha! Da** it! Need mechbays!

#29 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

Posted Image

#30 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

Great job! ;)

#31 Pyrrho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

Thank you for the quick response to a very serious issue and thank you for the Griffin!

#32 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

Russ tweeted "the griffin will be unlocked because PGI said so"
SOLD! But since I already have Griffins thanks to sabre reinforcements I will now stop sitting on the fence and buy that Masakari clan pack.

To sum up: your class = my cash you just made $240 I wasn't sure you were going to get (will buy tonight after work)
This is how I say "thank you, PGI."

Edited by Flying Blind, 18 February 2014 - 04:16 PM.

#33 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

the moaning and gnashing of teeth of the 4mans needing their roflstomp fix must have been epic

so this patch window proved to me we need a solo queue. that was actually a brickload of fun

#34 Axefan

• PipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 45 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Noooooooooooooo! Now the common folk will be able to pilot my beloved Griffins! ;)

Seriously, the GRF-3M is one of my favorite mechs, and I've mastered around 90.

#35 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostJohnAzussa, on 18 February 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

First, let me just say that I have only worked in software development as a manager and an engineer for 20+ years.

You are telling us that you dont QA it fully until AFTER you release it to the public?

View PostxWiredx, on 18 February 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

Um... shouldn't something pass QA before you say "hey we have a hot fix"? I mean, speaking as a developer, this sentence is scary. It makes me think you don't actually test things on a test server at all, and production (read that: players, your customer base) is the test platform. You have a public-facing test server, I'd assume you also have a private test server or the test server is dual-purposed and this patch should have been tested on that first... that should be your QA. There shouldn't be any need for it "to pass" anything if you're applying it to your production side unless your devs are fumbling around and there are disparities between test and prod.

You both seem to have taken what I said out of context. Let me explain it a bit more in depth. We test on test servers until it's vetted. Once vetted we upload the patch to the production servers. We then have QA test the production code to make sure the same behaviour seen on the test servers is experienced on production servers.

So instead of your suggested lack of testing, we test it twice to make sure nothing changed between testing servers and production servers BEFORE we open the servers to the public.

#36 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

haha

to OP:

Yes, great hotfix! anytime the word Fixed, is in an announcement i love it!

#37 ToxicValor

• PipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSaturn

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

View PostKyle Polulak, on 18 February 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

You both seem to have taken what I said out of context. Let me explain it a bit more in depth. We test on test servers until it's vetted. Once vetted we upload the patch to the production servers. We then have QA test the production code to make sure the same behaviour seen on the test servers is experienced on production servers.

So instead of your suggested lack of testing, we test it twice to make sure nothing changed between testing servers and production servers BEFORE we open the servers to the public.

I don't think Blizzard, how big they are does this. PTR, works fine, Live, breaks everything. Years of it. I see what you're saying and appreciate it.

#38 Pyrrho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

Kyle, does this mean that the Pure Function Call bug was missed during the first vetting pass and then noticed during production testing? This would account for it "not being able to be included in the original patch" basically, because the patch had to get dropped back to Vetting to make the change it couldn't just be "fixed" during the production step.

Just trying to gleam what I can from someone close to the source of sweet sweet 'mech combat ;)

#39 Boaz Roshak

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 96 posts
  • LocationApperently , back on the island

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

Can we get a hot fix to remove the incessant beeps and chirps of the new UI?
Or perhaps a fix for the fix that supposedly turned down the glass effects but have made my glass get opaque spots during play?
However and most importantly this game is supposedly social and based on a community can we for havens sake find a way to do that without it taking several minutes between matches to just get our social tab back because you thought we needed to know that people I am not grouped with are in the mechbay?
How about not making me go select the mech I just dropped in to put a module in it rather than giving me a means to just jump right into it to make changes or reequip a module.
Let me like the game stop making me hate you and myself for spending money on it, thanks

Edited by Boaz Roshak, 18 February 2014 - 04:24 PM.

#40 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

If you're looking to get into a Griffin but still new to the game (as in not much money or resources from other mechs to take and move around), go for the 3M. It features a significantly reduced price for its factory-given upgrades.

The XL engine by itself + the price of a Locust decked out with only DHS is how much you're paying for a full combat-ready mech pre-upgraded with DHS and that very versatile engine.

Any other Griffin given only the same engine and DHS will be over 10,000,000 . Quite a bit of savings on that 3M for roughly 8 mil. Enjoy it!

Edited by Koniving, 18 February 2014 - 04:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users