"community Cockpit Items" A Total Crock?

52 replies to this topic

#21 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 20 February 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

The Urbie riding a pug is hilarious. Though it looked like they just went with a pug due as a compromise between suggestions. That's one big reason I had no interest in putting time into this one. It wasn't a "design an item" contest, just a "general idea" contest.

It was sort of a nice idea. It just didn't feel like anything to put pen to tablet for :)

yeah, helps you also don't need the exposure like i still do, lol.

#22 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

My face when I saw the altered pug item:

Posted Image

Edited by FupDup, 20 February 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#23 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 February 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

yeah, helps you also don't need the exposure like i still do, lol.

(Chrome ate my first post on this :P)

No artist "doesn't need" exposure - there are regulars to the forum that don't even know we have an Art section, let alone that anyone might want one.

Hula! There are people who don't know who Bach, Beethoven, or da Vinci are! :)

Edited by Shar Wolf, 20 February 2014 - 09:14 PM.

#24 Pblogic

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

When I first joined this community I really understood why some of you were disgruntled, however now I realize you will complain about EVERYTHING. It's really, really distasteful.

#25 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

View PostFupDup, on 20 February 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

My face when I saw the altered pug item:

Posted Image

Thanks Fup, that was pretty much my reaction. And the reaction from my gaming Clan? "Why would we buy that? It isn't what you entered!"

View PostPblogic, on 20 February 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

When I first joined this community I really understood why some of you were disgruntled, however now I realize you will complain about EVERYTHING. It's really, really distasteful.

Obviously, you aren't an artist then. Or you would fully understand why I am not satisfied with this. And this is decidely different than people not liking how a weapon kills them, so it needs to be nerfed.

#26 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 February 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

Obviously, you aren't an artist then. Or you would fully understand why I am not satisfied with this. And this is decidely different than people not liking how a weapon kills them, so it needs to be nerfed.

To be honest, I don't get the angst either. They did their own take on stuff people submitted. /shrug

#27 L A guns

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

Was your pug entry was the impetus for the pug cockpit item?I dunno.I enjoy your drawings bishop,but I think maybe the art guys might have just come up with that one.

#28 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:28 PM

View PostL A guns, on 20 February 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

Was your pug entry was the impetus for the pug cockpit item?I dunno.I enjoy your drawings bishop,but I think maybe the art guys might have just come up with that one.

Actually, it was the impetus, and the simplest proof is the contest itself. Winners (of which I was one) would be awarded one cockpit item of choice (Classy Urbanmech, tyvm), 7 days premium time, AND if their item was "created" it too, would be infused. I Received 7 days premium time, Classy Urbanmech and a PUG in Helmet. Hence, the PUG was "mine".

And the PUG ain't bad. But it missed the actual point of my idea, hence me being disappointed. You notice I am not calling for a boycott of PGI over their "malfeasance and lies" as the fools over in Gameplay and other sections love to do. I am on the other hand giving, thru the forums, and actually a direct email to MWO, my feedback on the matter. One can be disappointed without it being QQ.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 20 February 2014 - 08:35 PM.

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

View PostHeffay, on 20 February 2014 - 07:46 PM, said:

To be honest, I don't get the angst either. They did their own take on stuff people submitted. /shrug

Hardly angst Heffay. Just a (IMO) legit complaint, in which I do believe (unlike most forum QQ) that PGI was totally within the rules and guidelines they posted. But are you saying that if you designed a cool new car for Grand Theft Auto, as part of a contest, the prize was to have your design made into a game model (if possible), and instead of your car, they credit you, then add the Barbie Corvette as "your contribution", you wouldn't be disappointed? Color me skeptical.

And since a major concern of this post was me hoping that the "Losers" got credit for the ideas they posted (especially since 6 out of the 7 things made so far are from the "losers".), excuse me for giving a crap about our community? Since further i have PRAISED PGI in this post since several of the non winners have reported that they have indeed gotten their injections, I am trying to figure out the angst, bro?

#30 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

Woah woah, settle down. You called it a "total crock". Now you are saying they are within their guidelines?

Your design, while very cool and something I'd be happy to put in my cockpit (hehhehee), would be very difficult to model with any decent resolution. Their version isn't a "Barbie Corvette". It's a decent interpretation of your submission subject to the limits of 3D modeling.

I do agree that anyone who submitted anything even remotely close to the winning OR losing items that got implemented should be credited with the winnings.

#31 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

View PostHeffay, on 20 February 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

Woah woah, settle down. You called it a "total crock". Now you are saying they are within their guidelines?

Your design, while very cool and something I'd be happy to put in my cockpit (hehhehee), would be very difficult to model with any decent resolution. Their version isn't a "Barbie Corvette". It's a decent interpretation of your submission subject to the limits of 3D modeling.

I do agree that anyone who submitted anything even remotely close to the winning OR losing items that got implemented should be credited with the winnings.

Cool Heff. You read the title. Now did you actually read the post and the further comments? Taking me to task for a little stage drama in the title, when I fully break it down in the post, is either a little lazy, or disingenuous, my friend.

Also, perhaps you noticed it actually says "A Total Crock?". The question mark does change from a statement to a question, as in, garnering opinions, of those who entered on the results.

I also acknowledged that it may indeed have been too much to add the Urbie, or even the t-shirt, though the "World's Greatest" was actually the main point of the design, which could have been added any number of ways. A Sputnik helmet? Interesting, but doesn't convey the same idea.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 20 February 2014 - 08:46 PM.

#32 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 February 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

I also acknowledged that it may indeed have been too much to add the Urbie, or even the t-shirt, though the "World's Greatest" was actually the main point of the design, which could have been added any number of ways. A Sputnik helmet? Interesting, but doesn't convey the same idea.

That's the beauty of art. The helmet can represent the Urbanmech, and the t-shirt that says PUG has its own meaning in the game. It's all good. Even if they don't take your idea to every last detail, if you inspire people to create something new (and possibly even better), that is its own reward.

#33 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

View PostHeffay, on 20 February 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

That's the beauty of art. The helmet can represent the Urbanmech, and the t-shirt that says PUG has its own meaning in the game. It's all good. Even if they don't take your idea to every last detail, if you inspire people to create something new (and possibly even better), that is its own reward.

Reckon we will have to agree to disagree about that, especially since I hardly expected every last detail (btw the cockpit mechs seem to handle the resolution fine). Regardless, opinion vary, so it's all good. Most important is it appears they are giving credit to the creators (as much as possible, anyhow, that thread was a bloody mess that I pity the devs and mods for having to try to sort through), and Ekman tweeted me back that they indeed are modeling all the winners (and some of the other popular ones, obviously by the ones we have already), so my biggest concerns are met. Doesn't mean I can't still be disappointed about "my" PUG.

Maybe I should have made a Urbanmech with a bobbing PUG head instead......... *shrugs*

#34 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

Urbanmech with a bobble-pug head!

#35 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

View PostHeffay, on 20 February 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

dang straight! Now I'm gonna have to doodle it....... DOH!
(probably need a break from my Hornet and Firefly redesigns anyhow)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 20 February 2014 - 09:02 PM.

#36 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 February 2014 - 09:01 PM, said:

Firefly

Posted Image

#37 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostNautilusCommand, on 20 February 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

---

I would guess the mech, not the show :)

#38 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 21 February 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

I would guess the mech, not the show :huh:

No, the mech.
Edit: wow I misread that my bad.

Edited by NautilusCommand, 21 February 2014 - 02:15 PM.

#39 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

View PostHeffay, on 20 February 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

Posted Image

You were warned!

Yes.. That IS a Pug-in-the-Box!

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 21 February 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#40 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 February 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

Posted Image

You were warned!

I'd buy that

5 user(s) are reading this topic