Yeah, I'm still lurking about. Hi guys!

#2 Highlighter

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:46 PM

Quite impressive. I've never been good at Battletech art because the block shapes mean I have to be careful of perspective, and I've never had much look with that. :)

I'm tempted, though, to give Battletech another shot!

What program do you use for your renders?

#3 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

Most of my images were rendered in one version or another of TrueSpace. Though I have used 3D Studio Max. And a few images I've posted were rendered in VUE for the environmental effects.

I've taken inspiration from past and present BT artists, like Steven Huda and Alex Iglesias (both are also on dA). And a big boost in personal direction came from Pawel Czarneki from early 2000s.

#4 Highlighter

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:19 PM

Ah, I see. Though I've never taken any formal art courses, I was curious because my brother was an art minor while he was in school, so he's shared with me some of his experiences with rendering. I've personally never used any of those programs (only experience is with Photoshop), so I'm always amazed that people can create these awesome looking renders.

I've found that my personal style of drawing doesn't lend itself to Battletech very well. It's typically very messy, sketch-like, so it's not great for hard shapes, but it works great for more organic subjects.

Also, I see that you've won WoT's design a tank contest. Congratulations! :)

Edited by highlighter, 31 October 2011 - 06:19 PM.

#5 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:25 PM

I don't know, some of the early TRO designs (3025 especially) for BT are sketchy. Though a lot look like they were drawn by someone with architectural drafting experience.

And thank you for the recognition for WoT! It was a nice surprise to have been selected third place in that competition.

#6 Highlighter

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, I suppose you're right! I think my biggest issue is with perspectives and dynamic poses. I can never seem to translate what I see in my mind's eye onto paper/digital. :)

It's always a great surprise to see that you've won a competition. I remember finding out that I had won a runners-up award for the WoT Lord of the Tanks contest; that made my day!

#7 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:51 PM

I recognise your work Hana.

Did you ever frequent IS3025 (which later became IS3028) before it died away....

#8 Lasershark

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:16 PM

"Invasion" is giving me a serious Battlestar Galactica flashback. It's a good thing.

#9 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:33 PM

View Postchewie, on 31 October 2011 - 09:51 PM, said:

I recognise your work Hana.

Did you ever frequent IS3025 (which later became IS3028) before it died away....

I was on the art team.

#10 Noble

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:37 PM

Good to see another female player in all honesty, and seeing that T19 tank in your folder. You play World of Tanks? Saw that in the US tank contest. :)

#11 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:13 AM

View PostNoble, on 31 October 2011 - 11:37 PM, said:

Good to see another female player in all honesty, and seeing that T19 tank in your folder. You play World of Tanks? Saw that in the US tank contest. :)

I'm sure there's more girl gamers around.
I've taken a break from WoT for a while. Got a bit burned out after grinding up the T29, T20, and Chaffee. Three tanks that if played incorrectly will be money sinks. Though I don't know how long it'll keep my attention if MWO meets everyone's general expectations. I've often compared WoT to MPBT after all.

#12 Noble

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:28 AM

View Posthanayuriko, on 01 November 2011 - 12:13 AM, said:

I'm sure there's more girl gamers around.
I've taken a break from WoT for a while. Got a bit burned out after grinding up the T29, T20, and Chaffee. Three tanks that if played incorrectly will be money sinks. Though I don't know how long it'll keep my attention if MWO meets everyone's general expectations. I've often compared WoT to MPBT after all.

May take a bit for the game to come out, but I'm looking forward to it fully. Though I understand your grinding, I went through the T29 and T20 ages ago. The Pershing is really worth to get with the 90mm Long. Already got the Patton, T30 and M24 Chaffee...Dislike playing any other tanks due to depression. But I do hope to see you on the field for MWO. :) what's your preference for clans/factions and mechs out of curiosity?

#13 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:53 AM

View PostNoble, on 01 November 2011 - 12:28 AM, said:

May take a bit for the game to come out, but I'm looking forward to it fully. Though I understand your grinding, I went through the T29 and T20 ages ago. The Pershing is really worth to get with the 90mm Long. Already got the Patton, T30 and M24 Chaffee...Dislike playing any other tanks due to depression. But I do hope to see you on the field for MWO. :) what's your preference for clans/factions and mechs out of curiosity?

Lets see... As for factions, I like DCMS and Steiner. If it's Clans then I prefer Wolf or Ghost Bear.
The mechs I like really depend on the game. For MPBT I really liked the JVN-10N Javelin and the CPLT-K2 Catapult. Though I could take out a Banshee with a BJ-1 Blackjack. Table top (or MegaMek) I'm fond of powerful jumpers. Jenner, Javelin, Victor, Grasshopper, etc. Clan units I'll stick with mostly 3050 era units. Classic omnimechs like the TWolf, Mad Dog, Summoner, even the thinly armored Hellbringer. The Rifleman IIc with the large pulse lasers is just a beast. In MW2 and MW3 I preferred to use the Nova when I could get them. If I'm playing MechCommander or MC2, I'll try and mix it up. A mobile lance, support lance, and an assault lance. I especially liked using hero units that came with a pilot (who can forget Rooster?).

If you want to go by aesthetics, I like the look of a lot of designs. It's just easier to say, "I think the 'mechs in MWDA are really ugly." I usually buck the trend and bypass the Unseens. The anime mecha are core to the original game, but there's just so much more now.

#14 Noble

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:32 AM

View Posthanayuriko, on 01 November 2011 - 12:53 AM, said:

Lets see... As for factions, I like DCMS and Steiner. If it's Clans then I prefer Wolf or Ghost Bear.
The mechs I like really depend on the game. For MPBT I really liked the JVN-10N Javelin and the CPLT-K2 Catapult. Though I could take out a Banshee with a BJ-1 Blackjack. Table top (or MegaMek) I'm fond of powerful jumpers. Jenner, Javelin, Victor, Grasshopper, etc. Clan units I'll stick with mostly 3050 era units. Classic omnimechs like the TWolf, Mad Dog, Summoner, even the thinly armored Hellbringer. The Rifleman IIc with the large pulse lasers is just a beast. In MW2 and MW3 I preferred to use the Nova when I could get them. If I'm playing MechCommander or MC2, I'll try and mix it up. A mobile lance, support lance, and an assault lance. I especially liked using hero units that came with a pilot (who can forget Rooster?).

If you want to go by aesthetics, I like the look of a lot of designs. It's just easier to say, "I think the 'mechs in MWDA are really ugly." I usually buck the trend and bypass the Unseens. The anime mecha are core to the original game, but there's just so much more now.

I normally prefer Comstar for a faction, just <3 it. Steiner as well in some cases. Though for mechs I'd prefer Innersphere over clan. Innersphere mechs seem to have some personalty into there construction which I enjoy. Bushwhacker, Raven, Warhammer and Atlas has the classic to my favorite mechs.

#15 HeeroWolf Nash

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCincinnati Ohio

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

Nice Hana, I remember you from IS3028, keep up the Art!

Edited by heerowolf nash, 01 November 2011 - 10:22 AM.

#16 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:11 PM

View Posthanayuriko, on 31 October 2011 - 11:33 PM, said:

I was on the art team.

Heh glad to see your still at it, I was on the forum as Michi (as in Michi Nocketsuna) as i was playing BF a lot with a group playing under the tag 1stG back then.

Shame your tank never made it into WoT.

I can see me dropping that the moment this goes live :)

#17 Skorge

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE USA

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

I really, really like the Toyama.

#18 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:11 PM

View PostHeeroWolf Nash, on 01 November 2011 - 10:22 AM, said:

Nice Hana, I remember you from IS3028, keep up the Art!

I fully intend to! Recently I've been working on a detailed, more realistic version of the MadCat/TWolf. I've already completed the upper half. Now I just need to figure out how I plan to rework the legs and it'll be completed. What I have so far resembles the MkI Timberwolf

View Postchewie, on 01 November 2011 - 12:11 PM, said:

Heh glad to see your still at it, I was on the forum as Michi (as in Michi Nocketsuna) as i was playing BF a lot with a group playing under the tag 1stG back then.

Shame your tank never made it into WoT.

I can see me dropping that the moment this goes live :)

It wasn't intended to actually make it into WoT. Just a design contest to see who could come up with a feasible design for the time period. Something akin to the M4A3E8 Sherman. A transportable tank that was designed using technology of the time. Including the tank's design history.

View PostSkorge, on 02 November 2011 - 12:57 PM, said:

I really, really like the Toyama.

Thank you! Unfortunately that model was lost with a harddrive crash. I thought I'd had it backed up, but only the Seraph Invictus was saved. That means I lost the Toyama AND the Black Knight! *sob*

Edited by HanaYuriko, 02 November 2011 - 08:11 PM.

#19 CG Anastasius Focht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

Breathtakingly beautiful Hana,
Thanks for sharing, Love your work.
It really "takes you there"

Magnificent is too short a word

#20 Heavy Metal

• Pip
  • 11 posts