25 replies to this topic

#1 Jazzbandit1313

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts
  • Location--- Star's End ---- -- Novo Cressidas --

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

This is killing me. I would love to have the FS9-A for its energy hardpoints in both side torsos, but the FS9-S with the dual AMS looks like so much fun! I don't even know if the dual AMS would be worth dropping the RT energy hardpoint. The FS9-K obviously has those beefy 3 energy hardpoint arms so i could be a mini flying boars head! Thoughts? which one out of these three would you pick and why?

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,157 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

Ember/S/K for me. S for dual AMS/5ML, K for max arm points and Ember for the deadly 4ML/4MG combo. Those are the three that (as of three hours ago) I have. They are dirt cheap, though, so no reason you can't pick up more. I equipped the K&S for a net of around 8MM with gear on-hand and selling the useless STD210s.

#3 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

I shall purchase ALL OF THEM.

That dual AMS version looks like it might provide some extra survivability against streaks, but I think i'll be running the K painted blood orange and filled to the brim with a plethora of medium and small lasers.

#4 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

H: For the ballistic slots

K: For the 3x energy hardpoints in the arms (plus having a total of 8).

S: For the AMS

I dunno, how highly mounted are the A variant's torso energy slots?

#5 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

View PostSephlock, on 18 February 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

H: For the ballistic slots

K: For the 3x energy hardpoints in the arms (plus having a total of 8).

S: For the AMS

I dunno, how highly mounted are the A variant's torso energy slots?

Highly mounted? The thing is knee high to a grass hopper, who cares how high they are mounted lol

E, S and H for me. The K will have issues handling heat IMO that make its massive collection of energy hard points kinda moot. The H replaces two of those heaters with a nice cool pair of machine guns for just one ton extra. Bargain!

Edited by RickySpanish, 18 February 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#6 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 18 February 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

Highly mounted? The thing is knee high to a grass hopper, who cares how high they are mounted lol

You can take advantage of things that wouldn't be cover for most mechs. I dropped an AC5 and 3xML into my H, 6 points shy of max armor, ferro, endo, double sinks, 255XL. It's ok. Though it has occured to me that I could strip the MLs to upgrade the AC to an LB10X. And, of course, someone is going to try to make a Hollander out of this thing.

#7 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

Well it is possible to comfortably fit two PPCs onto a Jenner so it *might* be possible to shave two more tons assuming you don't run out of slots if you need ferro as well as endo. That's including only one ton of ammo and one jump jet though. I forget exactly how dodgy the 2 ppc jenner build is...

Returning to the A and K - I might just buy them both anyway. You never know which way the meta winds might blow especially with these new weapon modules. Besides if I can own a HGN 733P i can bloody well fork out for a fourth or fifth FS9 without feeling like a total twit. They are bound to be more effective than the P hehe.

Edited by RickySpanish, 18 February 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#8 Corbon Zackery

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

Just FYI expect some ghost heat to be coming to small lasers. I just destroyed a full 4 man lance in one round of game play. The amount of damage you can do to the back armor of a mech with 8 small lasers is devastating. So I expect them to cap it around 6.

Nothing been confirmed but the 8 small laser build is very dominate in both light and m. mechs do to the speed and amount of damage being done in each alpha which is a sick 24 damage.

So I would expect some ghost heat coming in a few month but right now just slap as many small laser on it as you can.

Edited by Corbon Zackery, 18 February 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#9 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

I went and bought them all! Collection complete! ;)

#10 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:06 PM

XL or Std engine?

#11 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

View PostCorbon Zackery, on 18 February 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

Just FYI expect some ghost heat to be coming to small lasers. I just destroyed a full 4 man lance in one round of game play. The amount of damage you can do to the back armor of a mech with 8 small lasers is devastating. So I expect them to cap it around 6.

Nothing been confirmed but the 8 small laser build is very dominate in both light and m. mechs do to the speed and amount of damage being done in each alpha which is a sick 24 damage.

So I would expect some ghost heat coming in a few month but right now just slap as many small laser on it as you can.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#12 Corbon Zackery

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Its going to happen at some point dude I was running 134kph with 8 small lasers, and I made a griffin CT dark red with one shot. So the 8 small laser build is the way to go 1.26 with double heat sinks so your getting 4 to 5 shots off before you overheat. 96 pinpoint damage. Before you have to run off and cool down. The rate of fire is just ridicules.

FIRESTARTER FS9-A 1 0 1 0.00 3 1 3.00 550 1,098 00:07:09

That's after one match.

Edited by Corbon Zackery, 18 February 2014 - 09:16 PM.

#13 Jazzbandit1313

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts
  • Location--- Star's End ---- -- Novo Cressidas --

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

Just FYI I'm going to be using my XL255 and XL 280 for these puppies

#14 Baltasar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

I'm currently using the E, S, and K. The E and S will probably see the most play time.

Edited by Baltasar, 18 February 2014 - 11:28 PM.

#15 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 18 February 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

Ember/S/K for me. S for dual AMS/5ML, K for max arm points and Ember for the deadly 4ML/4MG combo. Those are the three that (as of three hours ago) I have. They are dirt cheap, though, so no reason you can't pick up more. I equipped the K&S for a net of around 8MM with gear on-hand and selling the useless STD210s.

I did the EXACT same thing variants included lol.

#16 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 20 February 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

I did the EXACT same thing variants included lol.

Well, no one has ever seen us in the same place.... :o

I'm actually thinking about picking up an A as an alternative to the K. Arm guns are good, but arms get lost, so playing with 4ML/4SL config, having the "leftover" guns all in the torso might not be all bad, even though I dislike the torso mounts due to the pitch issue.

Very much still in shake-down on all of these, of course.

#17 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

i bought the E, wich is fully XPed out, and pretty awsome now. the K and S were my other options. funny on the S i wound up with 5ml dual ams 2t ammo.

in regards to the K vs A im sure its personal preference but from playing with the different variants, the arm lasers are just fantastic. yeah they get shot off sometimes but when that happens you either loose 2 lasers or you loose 3, its really not that big of a difference. i actually wound up running 6ml all in the arms on the K after running the 8 small laser build.

the 8 small laser build is really great though because it allows you to load up on JJs and heatsinks compared to mix medium/small builds. i went with 6 mediums because playing solo, getting within 90m isnt always possible.

for some reason my S is a performance disaster though. i got in a long loosing streak with it and its just tanking. probably not my fault but i had higher expectations.

#18 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

I took an H, kitted it out with 3xML, AC5 w/2 tons ammo, 255XL, and 2 or 3 jets, did ok with it, got the basics. Moved on to the K, 2xML, LPL, 280XL, 11 double sinks, and I think I've got 6 jets on it, doing well with it, almost done with basics. I plan to move on to the S soon, 2xML, ERLL, 2xAMS, 280XL. (Note that all 3 of these have armor maxed everywhere but the head, which is 6 points shy, and endo steel, ferro armor, and double sink upgrades.)

#19 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:33 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 18 February 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

Ember/S/K for me. S for dual AMS/5ML, K for max arm points and Ember for the deadly 4ML/4MG combo.

Quoted for truth. The Ember has the most ballistics, so makes for a better MG boat than the H (which has stronger direct-damage potential with its extra energy hardpoints), the S is the only dual-AMS option (mine has 5 MLs and 2 AMS), and the K has the largest compliment of arm weapons (6 SLs and 2 CT MLs for me).

#20 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 20 February 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

Quoted for truth. The Ember has the most ballistics, so makes for a better MG boat than the H (which has stronger direct-damage potential with its extra energy hardpoints), the S is the only dual-AMS option (mine has 5 MLs and 2 AMS), and the K has the largest compliment of arm weapons (6 SLs and 2 CT MLs for me).

Aside from 4ML/4SL K, that's pretty much exactly how I have 'em built. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users