Players In Private Matches Getting Rewarded The Same As Those In Public Community Game Modes.

225 replies to this topic

Poll: Private Matches being rewarded.. (179 member(s) have cast votes)

Should players in private matches, when they are implemented, be ranked and rewarded with cbills and xp?

1. Yes (31 votes [17.32%])

Percentage of vote: 17.32%

2. No (148 votes [82.68%])

Percentage of vote: 82.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 February 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

No more unfair than dropping $15 and have an Atlas in minutes. So f I can buy a Mech instantly with money, Why would a unit not be able to buy a member equipment that helps the unit as a whole? What I am reading is simple Jealousy.

Nobody will buy you a New Mech so Teams cannot do what teams do best. Work together. And as I say, If the Law is wiling and able to collect $500+ to buy me a computer that can actually play MW:O, A merc command should be able to pool their resources. I'll even go so far as to say that if you earn a place in a Canon House unit, you should be able to ad a new Mech/equipment to your stock pile for free. As the government provides all required equipment to its soldiers. It should be a perk that comes with LP purchases.

Also why's the game gotta be ranked for DHB and Murphy's to wager 50K C-bills on a match they wanna have? Isn't that the reason to have private matches? So long as the match does not change the face of the CW game directly... What happens on Solaris stays on Solaris.

Well your 15$ is helping to keep the game online. Avoiding a grind, and avoiding to pay, by exploiting the game is almost cirminal, and hurts us all.... Thats the difference. I never said a unit can't buy their member a mech?

I said I don't think cbills should be earned in private matches... in any manner.

Edited by RichAC, 22 February 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#182 Nightfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 226 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

View PostRichAC, on 22 February 2014 - 06:47 AM, said:

1. Yep you basically confirmed the last statement in my previous post.. with the first statement of yours! lol .claiming i'm not addressing the argument when me and many posters already have. Again, its really suspicious, you don't think the fact its extremely EXPLOITABLE< is reason enough that addresses it

Because you cannot know how exploitable it would be without experiencing the mode thus the word "extremely EXPLOITABLE" is hyperbole and conjecture. You address the issue as if you think every player that plays in Private Matches is going to have 1 billion C-Bills after 3 or 4 hours of play. You have no grounds for thinking this way other than projected fears. I want to understand exactly how exploitable and I want to know if that exploited as badly as possible how bad would that be and what effect that would have on the rest of the player-base. These are NOT taboo questions that should make anyone suspect of my motives.

'RichAC': "2. offtopic crying."

If you don't want to be called out when you resort to insulting people, stop doing it.

3. His reasoning behind it, is the same as everybody elses....you know the one you keep claiming noone addressses...the reason he stated himself

Again, he simply said that it would be exploitable. He didn't say Why this mode would be or how badly or why PGI didn't look at ways they could mitigate any problems if they exist.
I want to engage those questions and know why. "because ... exploitable" does not answer them.

'RichAC': "4. offtopic"

Your behavior in this thread and how you belittle anyone who disagrees with you should be pointed out to you and to the moderators.

'RichAC': "offtopic tears...."

If you don't want to be called out when you insult people, stop doing it.

I refered to your comment about "trolling me for personal reasons" in the other thread. one can assume the same in this thread but, but its ok. carry on....

I know what you referred to and I corrected you. I'm not going to stalk you from thread to thread but in any thread I find myself in with you, I will confront you poor behavior. If the mods won't do it, I will continue to expose that behavior.

rewarding self selecting the matches the same as everyone else. is unfair period. Which is unsportlike. re-read this whole thread for the many reasons why....sigh...

You have failed to state why save for "it's common sense". What tenets of sportsmanship does having rewards in self-selecting matches break? The only reason the matchmaker is preferred is because it can prevent pre-organised groups who have the intent of exploiting from being together in a mode with rewards. It has nothing to do with 'ranking' or being challenging. Once again, Elo exists solely to preserve the game experience of players and stop new players consistently losing. It is there to create fair matches, it isn't there to make you work for your rewards. You call this semantics but it really isn't. You are giving more significance and meaning to the Matchmaker than it really has.

1. You sure have compared it to disconnecting in a pug. You have constantly referred to the fact that a pug is exploitable, as an excuse to allow rewards in private matches.

You are confusing me with someone else. I've actually used the example of Sync-droppers as an reason, after following your logic, as to why a case could be made to withdraw rewards from the Random Public Queue. You also challenged me to provide an example of how sync-dropping could be stopped. Does any of this make sense to you?

2. I have explained time and time again, that someone stat padding is up to too much interpretation. Humans have streaks and slumps, this is not something that can be calculated. there is a chance that innocent people would get banned, so it is not something I expect PGI to do. Especially when we can just avoid the problem, by not rewarding private matches to begin with....which besides stat padding and sand bagging, is unfair if even not intentional....
  • You have no idea of the field of statistics. Humans have streaks and slumps but if this wasn't all predictable within margins then Elo wouldn't work. it is indeed calculable. Detecting stat padding is detectable for the same reasons Elo works. State it over and over but that doesn't make it true. Anyway, what stats would they pad, really and why would we care? KDR? No one can see it but you and it affect nothing. Win/loss? It doesn't affect Elo and no one can see it so, why do we care? Be specific on the issue of stat padding and which particular at stats matter and why.
  • The only things I could see PGI banning people for is farming C-Bills or XP in which case it would be obvious. The rest is irrelevant ego and doesn't matter.
  • Why is it unfair? Because they don't play with people in the Random Public Queue? The Elo Matchmaker is only a means of creating matches, it is not sacred. If people enjoy a different way of making matches then why is that wrong? You realise we had a time where it was pure random drops? Elo wasn't introduced to make games challenging, it was introduced to improve people's game experience. Private Matches are just another way of creating matches, nothing more. They deprive the "community" of nothing and the Public Random Queue is not entitled to any individual players participation.

1. The internet is toxic in general. CS is a hugley popular game, the more people you have playing a game, granted, the more troll syou have. But to say that game is somehow more toxic then any other of its size is not true. Or that the majority of players is toxic is also absurd, because if that was true, it would not be as popular as it is in the first place....

2. crying...

3. I'm explaining to you, that stats and competitive game modes, are not what breeds a rude community. This is a carebear myth.

4. Being a professional game is not the debate here, and if it was the toxic community you imply it is, it would not be professional at all.

5. No different then you labeling counterstrike the same.

6. I'm explaining further, how stats and competitive game modes, have nothing to do with arrogant rude players...

7. The point has been made...

8. A community is everything. Noone wants to play with a bunch of jerks. And noone wants to sponsor them either. If Michael Jordan was an arrogant rude *****, he never would of got sponsored. The audience and fans would have no respect for them. Look what happen to tiger woods for cheating on his wife....He lost alot of endorsements...Public Image is very crucial.

9. And I bet you whined and cried about losing in that game too....
  • So the Internet can be toxic, your point?
  • CS is incredibly popular, no denying that.
  • Defiantly true, the larger the community, the more likely you are to have bad actors.
  • I can say that CS is more toxic than other games of it's size. I've experienced it and other large game communities such as Starcraft. CS is definitely far more toxic and I can definitely say that. By what measure would you dispute that?
  • I never addressed the majority of players in CS, I simply said it was regarded as possibly the most toxic game community. Where did you get that I said the majority of CS players are toxic?
  • CS being popular has naught to do with the toxicity of the community and everything to do with the basics of the audience. You can have a toxic community and a vibrant E-Sport/Sport. Spectators, for the most part, only care what you do on the "field" and that's all the audience needs to be shown.
  • If you don't want to be called out when you insult someone, stop doing it!
  • Why are you bringing up stats and what does it have to do with Private Matches? The stats in MWO are all private, you can't see anyone else's and they account for nothing.
  • what is up with the carebear thing? What has this got to do with Private Matches?
  • Your logic is flawed. I know many of the football communities here are far from friendly, some would call them toxic. Football flourishes because the audience doesn't need or necessarily want to see what happens off the field. They really don't care. As long as the audience watches, professional play can survive.
  • I'm labeling the CS community, not their individual players, toxic and it is. I've experienced it and it is demonstrable. You blaming 'arrogant computer nerds' for the failure of some gaming league is not demonstrable and shows only your bigotry towards anyone who knows about and enjoys working with computers.
  • You made this point how? Since when have stats and competitive game modes got anything to do with rude players and what has that got to do with Private Matches?
  • What point has been made? What did the Koreans ever do to you? What does this have to do with Private Matches?
  • Yeah, CS players constantly play with and against other jerks. CS leagues abound.
  • If Micheal Jordan had poor personal skills, they just wouldn't let him near a camera off the court for long. They would have still hired him in a heartbeat. Personal relation issues can be mitigated by Personal Relations professionals and spin doctors. Major Sports leagues have been doing it for years.
  • Yeah, look what happened to Tiger woods. He cheated on his wife after she was a domestic abuser and beat the crap out of him. He found solace elsewhere and lost everything.
  • I never denied Public Image isn't important, I'll just counter that it can easily be faked.
  • Oh dear, insulting me again. I was actually considering going pro but I ran the sums and thought better of it. Instead I decided to try and help make it possible for someone else to make the dream happen.

On the contrary, what you were implying, is that if a sport is not professional its not a sport. Which is absurd. kids in the park, confirm otherwise. You do insult MWO. I think like Joseph, you have little respect for video gamers in general.
  • You should look up what "mutually exclusive" means. You used this term by the way.
  • You think I insult MWO by calling it a game and not a sport? Get over it and learn to deal. I'm sure MWO, not being a self aware entity with feelings, won't be offended.
  • When you say "I think like Joseph, you have little respect for video gamers in general." you insult everything I did to help gamers form a community and a league as an act of charity. When you've given to the community, you can finally step up and claim to have grounds to judge. Until then, you have no idea who I am, what I've done and it borders on defamation.

Once again, an audience, or fan base, are only important for the game to go pro. Kids in the park, yes i said it again, kids in the park, do not need an audience, to play a "sport" "competitively".

What has this got to do with Private Matches?

who said I dont like coop RPG's? I just don't consider them competitive sports, which i prefer more... I tied them together, because it was a reply about development decisions I liked about PGI and MWO. I'm glad decided to not include either of those things....

Weren't you the one who said anything could be done competitivly and thus could be a sport?
The reason I know you don't like them and cosider them lesser is the number of times you have thrown the concept about as an insult, even when they were talking about nothing close to RPGs. The only thing I'm not sure of is which you think is worse, "RPG lover" or "computer nerd".

#183 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:32 AM

View PostRichAC, on 22 February 2014 - 08:21 AM, said:

Well your 15$ is helping to keep the game online. Thats the difference. I never said a unit can't buy their member a mech?

I said I don't think cbills should be earned in private matches... in any manner.

And you are entitled to your opinion, As I am entitled to give you mine and the reasons I think this way. PGI Has said they don't intend to have XP or C-Bills in Private Matches, But they also said they didn't intend to have Coolant flush and 3PV... They have a way of saying one thing and doing another.

That being the case, I will continue to discuss this with you, Hopefully the DEVs read it all, think about it, and maybe find a interesting Middle ground that both of us missed, cause we see things only from our perspectives. :)

#184 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

View PostNightfire, on 22 February 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

Because you cannot know how exploitable it would be without experiencing the mode thus the word "extremely EXPLOITABLE" is hyperbole and conjecture. You address the issue as if you think every player that plays in Private Matches is going to have 1 billion C-Bills after 3 or 4 hours of play. You have no grounds for thinking this way other than projected fears. I want to understand exactly how exploitable and I want to know if that exploited as badly as possible how bad would that be and what effect that would have on the rest of the player-base. These are NOT taboo questions that should make anyone suspect of my motives.

nooone needs to play the mode. Its a mode that is not specific to MWO, or changing any gameplay mechanics, first of all. So we already know how to exploit it. Second of all, extremely exploitable, is not conjecture, when it is in comparison to any other gamemode in MWO, that is supposedly exploited, for example by disconnecting. And of course debating me on how malicous an exploitation is over another, is certainly suspiciousl....

'RichAC': "2. offtopic crying."

If you don't want to be called out when you resort to insulting people, stop doing it.

Again, he simply said that it would be exploitable. He didn't say Why this mode would be or how badly or why PGI didn't look at ways they could mitigate any problems if they exist.
I want to engage those questions and know why. "because ... exploitable" does not answer them.

cries, and more of the same repeated question. Its common sense as to why.....and how.....and also how badly....... I'm sure for all the same reasons I've already explained in the previous post.... To even ask, "if they exist" is dishonest...

'RichAC': "4. offtopic"

Your behavior in this thread and how you belittle anyone who disagrees with you should be pointed out to you and to the moderators.

'RichAC': "offtopic tears...."

If you don't want to be called out when you insult people, stop doing it.

I know what you referred to and I corrected you. I'm not going to stalk you from thread to thread but in any thread I find myself in with you, I will confront you poor behavior. If the mods won't do it, I will continue to expose that behavior.

more cries...

You have failed to state why save for "it's common sense". What tenets of sportsmanship does having rewards in self-selecting matches break? The only reason the matchmaker is preferred is because it can prevent pre-organised groups who have the intent of exploiting from being together in a mode with rewards. It has nothing to do with 'ranking' or being challenging. Once again, Elo exists solely to preserve the game experience of players and stop new players consistently losing. It is there to create fair matches, it isn't there to make you work for your rewards. You call this semantics but it really isn't. You are giving more significance and meaning to the Matchmaker than it really has.

It has been explained time and time again, refer to the previous post. By your own admission, an ELO affects how you get rewards....case closed.... and by your own admission, again, playing in the matchmaker is more challenging then a private match....

You are confusing me with someone else. I've actually used the example of Sync-droppers as an reason, after following your logic, as to why a case could be made to withdraw rewards from the Random Public Queue. You also challenged me to provide an example of how sync-dropping could be stopped. Does any of this make sense to you?
  • You have no idea of the field of statistics. Humans have streaks and slumps but if this wasn't all predictable within margins then Elo wouldn't work. it is indeed calculable. Detecting stat padding is detectable for the same reasons Elo works. State it over and over but that doesn't make it true. Anyway, what stats would they pad, really and why would we care? KDR? No one can see it but you and it affect nothing. Win/loss? It doesn't affect Elo and no one can see it so, why do we care? Be specific on the issue of stat padding and which particular at stats matter and why.
  • The only things I could see PGI banning people for is farming C-Bills or XP in which case it would be obvious. The rest is irrelevant ego and doesn't matter.
  • Why is it unfair? Because they don't play with people in the Random Public Queue? The Elo Matchmaker is only a means of creating matches, it is not sacred. If people enjoy a different way of making matches then why is that wrong? You realise we had a time where it was pure random drops? Elo wasn't introduced to make games challenging, it was introduced to improve people's game experience. Private Matches are just another way of creating matches, nothing more. They deprive the "community" of nothing and the Public Random Queue is not entitled to any individual players participation.

Yes I challenged you, and you still fail to provide a solution on how to stop sync dropping.

1. an ELO drops in a slump, goes up in a streak, I don't see your point... Yes thats detectable, but to prove if intentional or not, is a whole nother story buddy. Stat padding would be a bannable offense, now on what margin you draw the line and ban someone is hard to do without bannign innocent people... and if you can't definitively ban without reasonable doubt for it and might potentially ban innocent people, why bother in the first place.

Especially like I keep saying, intentional malice, is not the only reason to not reward private matches in the first palce. Refer to previous posts and the thread where this is explained time and time again....maybe you'll come up with a retort to those points eventually...

2. Here you are answering your own question again "what stat would they pad and why would they?" lol also, refer again to point 1.

3. why is it unfair? really? I'm embarrased for you for having to ask this question. By your own admission, you don't like dropping solo because your a sore loser, By your own admission, the ELO forces people to have more competitive matches and steady average flow of rewards...according to yourself. So therefore, playing with an ELO is actually more challenging in certain situations.....by picking your own opponents, you are avoiding this challenge, and to demand you get the same rewards as those who aren't trying to avoid this challenge, is extremely unsportlike and unfair.

• So the Internet can be toxic, your point?
  • CS is incredibly popular, no denying that.
  • Defiantly true, the larger the community, the more likely you are to have bad actors.
  • I can say that CS is more toxic than other games of it's size. I've experienced it and other large game communities such as Starcraft. CS is definitely far more toxic and I can definitely say that. By what measure would you dispute that?
  • I never addressed the majority of players in CS, I simply said it was regarded as possibly the most toxic game community. Where did you get that I said the majority of CS players are toxic?
  • CS being popular has naught to do with the toxicity of the community and everything to do with the basics of the audience. You can have a toxic community and a vibrant E-Sport/Sport. Spectators, for the most part, only care what you do on the "field" and that's all the audience needs to be shown.
  • If you don't want to be called out when you insult someone, stop doing it!
  • Why are you bringing up stats and what does it have to do with Private Matches? The stats in MWO are all private, you can't see anyone else's and they account for nothing.
  • what is up with the carebear thing? What has this got to do with Private Matches?
  • Your logic is flawed. I know many of the football communities here are far from friendly, some would call them toxic. Football flourishes because the audience doesn't need or necessarily want to see what happens off the field. They really don't care. As long as the audience watches, professional play can survive.
  • I'm labeling the CS community, not their individual players, toxic and it is. I've experienced it and it is demonstrable. You blaming 'arrogant computer nerds' for the failure of some gaming league is not demonstrable and shows only your bigotry towards anyone who knows about and enjoys working with computers.
  • You made this point how? Since when have stats and competitive game modes got anything to do with rude players and what has that got to do with Private Matches?
  • What point has been made? What did the Koreans ever do to you? What does this have to do with Private Matches?
  • Yeah, CS players constantly play with and against other jerks. CS leagues abound.
  • If Micheal Jordan had poor personal skills, they just wouldn't let him near a camera off the court for long. They would have still hired him in a heartbeat. Personal relation issues can be mitigated by Personal Relations professionals and spin doctors. Major Sports leagues have been doing it for years.
  • Yeah, look what happened to Tiger woods. He cheated on his wife after she was a domestic abuser and beat the crap out of him. He found solace elsewhere and lost everything.
  • I never denied Public Image isn't important, I'll just counter that it can easily be faked.
  • Oh dear, insulting me again. I was actually considering going pro but I ran the sums and thought better of it. Instead I decided to try and help make it possible for someone else to make the dream happen.
  • You should look up what "mutually exclusive" means. You used this term by the way.
  • You think I insult MWO by calling it a game and not a sport? Get over it and learn to deal. I'm sure MWO, not being a self aware entity with feelings, won't be offended.
  • When you say "I think like Joseph, you have little respect for video gamers in general." you insult everything I did to help gamers form a community and a league as an act of charity. When you've given to the community, you can finally step up and claim to have grounds to judge. Until then, you have no idea who I am, what I've done and it borders on defamation.

1. Point is it has nothing to do with any game.

2. conceded by Night

3. conceded by Night

4. I can't definitley say that man. I've seen alot of trolls in LoL too. I do have an assumption that FPS games are less popular then strategy games, because they require more coordination. Which maybe means more brawn over brains? But i'm not quite sure that correlates into rudeness...

5. fine concede by Rich....

6. No toxic community would ever get sponsored....sorry...absolutely wrong...

7. cries....

8. The stats in MWO are private for the same reasons. The carebear myths that they promote rude players. The type of players I assume, you think make css toxic.

9. refer to point 8.

10. I disagree. I guess you didn't see the couple seahawks players that had to apologize for their comments this year....

11. You only sound like a sore loser. I've also played in that community. granted there are some horrible servers....but there are lots good ones too. Great admins is also what made that community popular and great. In fact i went to a random server last month, and not only was everyone on the microphone, they were all friendly, even alot of girls playing which surprised me...

12. refer to point 8.

13. I like the Koreans, why imply they did something to me? said they are very friendly people. I was expressing and contradicting the point again that is expressed in point 8.

14. again, sound like you cried yourself out of that community

15. Not always, and like even with Tiger Woods, he'd be getting alot less money.

16. and your point?

17. conceded by night

18. cries...and delusions. Ya i'm supposed to believe you were going to go pro in counterstrike. But you complain about the mathcmaker being unfair, and playing in a pug in MWO hahaha. Your a funny guy.

What has this got to do with Private Matches?

You keep bringing it up, you tell me...

Weren't you the one who said anything could be done competitivly and thus could be a sport?

The reason I know you don't like them and cosider them lesser is the number of times you have thrown the concept about as an insult, even when they were talking about nothing close to RPGs. The only thing I'm not sure of is which you think is worse, "RPG lover" or "computer nerd".

Not as an insult, but to imply a lack of experience in PVP game modes.

Edited by RichAC, 22 February 2014 - 09:35 AM.

#185 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 February 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

And you are entitled to your opinion, As I am entitled to give you mine and the reasons I think this way. PGI Has said they don't intend to have XP or C-Bills in Private Matches, But they also said they didn't intend to have Coolant flush and 3PV... They have a way of saying one thing and doing another.

That being the case, I will continue to discuss this with you, Hopefully the DEVs read it all, think about it, and maybe find a interesting Middle ground that both of us missed, cause we see things only from our perspectives. :)

Those things have nothing to do with exploiting the foundation of their game.

I don't think its a thought at all for them.

Also, you might think i rigged this poll...lmao. But go take your own poll in game. I haven't found a single person that agrees with you when I pose the question during match..... Go ahead and ask around....if private matches should be rewarded with cbills and xp. One person told me yes, but then admitted he was joking and laughing about it.

I'm sure PGI has taken their own polls.....I might criticize this community for not being competitive enough. But, even rewarding self selected matches, is something this community is dead set against. Which is why I find it hard to believe you and nightfire are honest or being sincere in this debate.

Edited by RichAC, 22 February 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#186 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

View PostRichAC, on 22 February 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

Those things have nothing to do with exploiting the foundation of their game.

I don't think its a thought at all for them.

Also, you might think i rigged this poll...lmao. But go take your own poll in game. I haven't found a single person that agrees with you when I pose the question during match..... Go ahead and ask around....if private matches should be rewarded with cbills and xp. One person told me yes, but then admitted he was joking and laughing about it.

I'm sure PGI has taken their own polls.....I might criticize this community for not being competitive enough. But, even rewarding self selected matches, is something this community is dead set against. Which is why I find it hard to believe you and nightfire are honest or being sincere in this debate.
Those things show that they have said something would not happen, then turned around and put them in the game.

It is quite possible you had no intention of wording the question with a bias, That does not mean that it isn't worded with one.

PLAYERS IN PRIVATE MATCHES GETTING REWARDED THE SAME AS THOSE IN PUBLIC COMMUNITY GAME MODES.

Those three words is where the bias is placed. Most folks (myself included) do not feel that private matches should be rewarded the same as community play. But I do feel they do deserve some form of reward. They are playing the game, they are likely buying products as well. Denying them any XP or other form of Attaboy, is just bad from.

I don't need to start a poll, Even with the poor wording 11% of the votes show there is a group that would like to see some reward. A minority to be sure But 11% of 480,000 probable players is still around 52,000 players who MAY be in favor of rewards for private matches. 52,000 players can spend a lot of cash on a game. So even if you have gotten 100% polling in Matches, 11% of those who answered your question, answered in favor of rewards. Now taking in the +/-3% polling error and as little as 34,000 players up to 67,000 players. Suddenly 11% doesn't look like such a small number.

As to my sincerity, I am every bit as sincere as you, and most likely even more.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 22 February 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#187 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 February 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

It is quite possible you had no intention of wording the question with a bias, That does not mean that it isn't worded with one.

Those three words is where the bias is placed. Most folks (myself included) do not feel that private matches should be rewarded the same as community play. But I do feel they do deserve some form of reward. They are playing the game, they are likely buying products as well. Denying them any XP or other form of Attaboy, is just bad from.

I don't need to start a poll, Even with the poor wording 11% of the votes show there is a group that would like to see some reward. A minority to be sure But 11% of 480,000 probable players is still around 52,000 players who MAY be in favor of rewards for private matches. 52,000 players can spend a lot of cash on a game. So even if you have gotten 100% polling in Matches, 11% of those who answered your question, answered in favor of rewards. Now taking in the +/-3% polling error and as little as 34,000 players up to 67,000 players. Suddenly 11% doesn't look like such a small number.

Most folks don't thinkt hey should get rewarded at all. Take a poll yourself.

I fixed the wording for you...

#188 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

View PostRichAC, on 22 February 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Most folks don't thinkt hey should get rewarded at all. Take a poll yourself.

I fixed the wording for you...

Most is not all Sir. PGI needed to think about those that are not satisfied with their product as much as the think about those who are. I am fine with the poll as is, 11% of the polled would like a reward.

Yeah, that is better wording. :)

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 22 February 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#189 DEN_Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

This thread is still going? I am okay with GXP Rewards because it is so miniscule that it can't be abused easily.

Anything else is so easy to abuse. Doesn't matter if it is reduce.

Alternative; C-Bill Wager System for winners.

#190 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

View PostRichAC, on 20 February 2014 - 02:20 AM, said:

I don't think players in private matches should get rewarded at all for obvious reasons. Its usually more challenging playing against a random team or with random teammates. Private, self selected matches, are easy to manipulate. Making it easy to rig matches to stat pad or farm points. And even if not the intention of players, playing with the same selected group of people all the time, throws the ELO system off balance with the rest of the community.

I think private matches will still be played, even if not ranked or rewarded, because of the simple fact Units will be able to hold their own in house tourneys. They can have their own skirmishes/practice matches with other units of any size hopefully. I can even see private leagues developing out of it, and 3rd party websites with all sorts of stats and rankings. Which would take pressure off PGI.

But to ensure people still play the other public community game modes, to provide a core playerbase, and to ensure everyone has a fair chance for rewards, the public modes with a match maker should be the only way to get cbills and faction bonuses.

What are your thoughts?

While I don't mind that private matches aren't ranked and that rewards aren't given for them, I do believe that PGI should work hard to open up the public queues to allow for more than four people to drop on a team in a match.* Many people will want to play in private matches exclusively because they can play in larger teams with their whole unit, or for league play, scheduled practices, whatever. What would be really wonderful is if PGI would support and/or allow for a thin client to run along with the game so that private/community run tournaments/leagues and/or whatever could collate data from the matches automatically rather than have to rely on dubious self-reporting by players/teams involved.

*Another guy in another forum suggested how this would work. If say 6-8 guys, or 9-10 guys dropped on one team in the public lobbies, then the matchmaker would seek to find a similar group to fight against numbers-wise. This will be necessary for community/faction play to work, and until they figure that out, I think they should allow it. However, those players should understand that the matchmaker WON'T set them up against uneven teams, to prevent pug-stomping by larger teams. They will have to WAIT for another team to fill up. The puggers that join those teams should only fill in the final slots in the company when two larger teams have been found. I'm sure it's possible. Team players might have to wait, but I'm sure there are a lot teams that need more C-bills and want to get the latest mechs. Not possible to grind those out in the private queues.

#191 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 February 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

Most is not all Sir. PGI needed to think about those that are not satisfied with their product as much as the think about those who are. I am fine with the poll as is, 11% of the polled would like a reward.

Yeah, that is better wording. :D

They can't please everyone. Especially if they want to keep some integrity in their game, they are the ones, making, and still have to make money on.

Edited by RichAC, 25 February 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#192 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

View PostPeiper, on 25 February 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

While I don't mind that private matches aren't ranked and that rewards aren't given for them, I do believe that PGI should work hard to open up the public queues to allow for more than four people to drop on a team in a match.*  

I disagree.  Then the playerbase becomes like that movie highlander.  A dog eat dog playerbase till there is only a small playerbase left.    Like 12 man......look how empty that is.  

Maybe you don't realize you are proposing the same thing happens to pugs.   I don't want to see the same 12 people playing every night, as I watch the game steadily die to that point.   Come one come all.

PGI should take away the perception of an unfair game even if it could be argued there is none.   By keeping their game mode strongly regulated and enforced,  for the most fair it can be,  they take away any sense that the game is not in the players best interest.

Edited by RichAC, 25 February 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#193 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

View PostRichAC, on 25 February 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

words...

Did you even read the whole post, where I describe how 5+ player teams could work in the pug queues?? Note the '*' a the end of the sentence you quoted, which refers to the note/explanation below. Large teams would face up against ONLY other large teams. Ideally, there wouldn't be pug stomps, and solo and small team queues wouldn't even fight with these teams, excepting a few here and there, and they would be WITH those big teams, fighting other big teams, and they would reap the benefits of tagging along. Sigh...

#194 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:48 AM

View PostRichAC, on 25 February 2014 - 01:07 PM, said:

They can't please everyone. Especially if they want to keep some integrity in their game, they are the ones, making, and still have to make money on.

Be careful how you use the word integrity when referring to a BattleTech Universe and this game. Integrity is fairly shaky with how Cyclic rates v Heat dissipation works, No heat effects for high excess heat, No ramming/ Physical contact... All ACs delivering nearly the same DpS. Add to that Waffling on Definite statements.

Much integrity has been lost already.

#195 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

Should players get rewarded for playing private matches? Probably not.

Should players be able to play public matches with any number of friends in their group? Absolutely.

#196 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:48 AM

View PostRoland, on 26 February 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

Should players be able to play public matches with any number of friends in their group? Absolutely.

12 Mans already answers your question. But to have them of any size means failed search times. Maybe 4 man, but on these huge maps that would suck chasing some light all day.

For you, The Question actually is, "Should players be able to play with premades of any size in public groups for rewards?"

Depends on how competitive you want the matches to be, and if you think they deserve sportsmanship. Or if you think you deserve more for being in a group, and its the other players fault for not joining one himself. Which is a dog eat dog mentality, not in PGI's best interest.
Sure other games do this, But i believe their playerbase is lacking because of it. OR the playerbase got to the point, where those few selfish individuals, are the only players left....

Edited by RichAC, 27 February 2014 - 03:54 AM.

#197 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:07 AM

View PostRichAC, on 25 February 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

I disagree. Then the playerbase becomes like that movie highlander. A dog eat dog playerbase till there is only a small playerbase left. Like 12 man......look how empty that is.

Yep like Yesterday... for two hours we tried to syncdrop with our league match opponent and managed to do that once... and what we got was different opponent with each drop.

#198 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:39 AM

[color="#00ffff"]As this feature is currently in the pipe, I'll comment on it. It has never been our stance to allow rewards in Private Matches. It is something easily gamed and exploited. CB/XP rewards will only be available in the public queue.[/color]

As it should be. Thank you, Paul. A private match, by it's nature is an easily "fixed" one.

#199 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:33 AM

View PostRoland, on 26 February 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

XP isn't rewarding as I see it. If you cheat the system and never actually train, you have lots of perks but no idea what you are doing.

And in Community warfare, where players are fighting over the Map... Absolutely!

#200 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:16 AM

I'd like to think that people who voted yes for this, did it out of innocent intention.

But it just screams I want to exploit XP and C-bills with my friends

28 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 28 guests, 0 anonymous users