91 replies to this topic

#1 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:17 AM

(TLDR: King Crabs appeal to a large demographic of pilot's willing to buy them. They are beautiful, unique, and will add variety in many aspects of MWO. If their release is announced, i will, for the first time, literally throw money at my screen. My beard may possibly spontaneously
generate a swarm of bees out of my sheer unbridled joy.)

Yes, there have been many threads dedicated to King Crab discussion, but This is an attempt to get the KGC's back into the public view. To let the fans of the KGC have their voices heard by other mechwarriors, and by PGI/IGP.
there has been a couple of petition's, such as this http://mwomercs.com/...-crab-petition/

and there has been the "opertion Cancer" http://mwomercs.com/...ng-crab-thread/ thread.

and now I feel it is my turn to let our voices be heard once more!

I have honestly never been a big fan of King crabs in the past, but I stumbled upon a sketch done by Alex that made me fall in love with them (the normal Crab on the left looks nice, BUT DAT KCG)

Posted Image

After seeing this; I zipped to Sarna to learn more about these unique battlemechs.

I have strange tastes in artistic styles, but that King Crab design is astounding. if that was put in game, it would be the best looking mech in MWO (at least untill Nova Cats, Archangels, and Krakens are put in)

and its more than just the looks, the KGC is an iconic clanbuster mech. I could go on and on, but the reasons about how it this mech would contribute to the overall MWO game are covered thoroughly in other forum threads, like the ones I provided above. Thats why I focused a bit more on the asthetics of the KGC here.
....though I have to point out it would be amazing to have more asthetic variety in the mech selection. More mechs with unique overall shape and design, less of the typical humanoid bipeds. (though the design team has done a great job with those mechs so far. I mean no disrespect)

PGI/IGP,
it has become apparent recently that you are becoming more interested in your community. I would like to point out I'm not the only pilot showing a great interest in this chassis. In the forums, MANY other mechwarriors are talking about how they too, are willing to open their wallets to purchase their KGC's.

I would gladly buy a ton of MC to buy the variants, and likely even buy the champion/hero versions (and I don't buy champion or hero mechs).

now here is where my opinion may differ from that of most other pilots: Many would cite the problems of the loadouts of these beasts, and how it clashes with the current system, but I would be more than willing to work around that. If my KGC does not have dual AC 20's, I will shrug and load them up with something else.

I should mention that many fine artworks have been created by various pilot's based on the design above. I highly reccomend checking it out.

#2 Hrisos

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:36 AM

This Mech Would be awesome to add into the game. I love running my catapult K2 with either Dual Guass or Dual Ac20's so having an assult Variant that has them naturally(without sacrificing speed or armor) would be perfect for how I like to play MechWarrior.

#3 Mastoad

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:09 AM

I am kinda bummed at the lack of mech design variety in this game. Humanoid mechs are cool but its taking a lot away from the series to not incorporate more creative designs. I definitely will be buying it if it comes out, if for no other reason than to encourage them to release better mechs.

#4 Ragnar Darkmane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

I agree, we need some change in the endless stream of humanoid mechs we had for the last 12 months.

#5 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostHrisos, on 22 February 2014 - 12:36 AM, said:

This Mech Would be awesome to add into the game. I love running my catapult K2 with either Dual Guass or Dual Ac20's so having an assult Variant that has them naturally(without sacrificing speed or armor) would be perfect for how I like to play MechWarrior.

The KGC is an area denial mech, so it will probably match the speed of the Atlas at best but be over all far more sluggish in acceleration, turning and torso twisting, not to mention very limiter arm movement. However, the amount of destructive power the KGC would bring to the table with out being a glass cannon would be amazing.

#6 blacklp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

I like that the our crustacean overlord is still dear to the hearts of so many,

#7 WintermuteOmega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

As much as i love the KingCrab, i highly doubt it will be ours to play with any time soon.
Main reason is, that there are many Variants, with Tech not (yet?) introduced to MWO (Streak 4, Heavy PPC, C3 Computer, Light AC/2 etc. pp).

This Mech is iconic, but i don't think PGI/IGP are going to publish a Mech, where most Variants are not a viable option.
But the standard Crab on the other hand....

#8 blacklp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

AHEM
FIRESTARTER
AHEM

#9 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

think of all the Tears :)

#10 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

View PostWintermuteOmega, on 22 February 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

As much as i love the KingCrab, i highly doubt it will be ours to play with any time soon.
Main reason is, that there are many Variants, with Tech not (yet?) introduced to MWO (Streak 4, Heavy PPC, C3 Computer, Light AC/2 etc. pp).

This Mech is iconic, but i don't think PGI/IGP are going to publish a Mech, where most Variants are not a viable option.
But the standard Crab on the other hand....

actually with strong rumours of the mauler coming and 1 quasi fictional varient employed {daboku} and an slightly adrift timeline mech 3051 to fit the timeframe 3 varient constraint the same could easily be made for the king crab.

wonder if CW will aloow this mech if it's reset to 3050, i say this because much advertising is made for the game starting in 3050 the most recent being operation revival and the tutevid on MWO startup. that and the timeline has been frozen and meddled with before. personally i don't think people will mind the odd mech being locked out of CW play if we have 100+ mechs to choose from for battle.

we're getting the mauler first to fit the 90 ton hole. i'm sure zeus, cyclopse, thug and king crab will find their place as mech sales are the biggest revenue earner for mwo. hoping oddities like the mackie, charger, hatamoto-chi will show up too.

#11 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 22 February 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

we're getting the mauler first to fit the 90 ton hole. i'm sure zeus, cyclopse, thug and king crab will find their place as mech sales are the biggest revenue earner for mwo. hoping oddities like the mackie, charger, hatamoto-chi will show up too.

So HGN poptart fix is to remove it? Because I don't see a 90 ton hole, a 95 one yes. Which means Banshee...

Time to put King Crab to the cooker PGI...

#12 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

Posted Image

Figured I'd post this awesome KGC artwork. This was done by Bishop Steiner edit: Kiriage

Edited by Carnifex125, 22 February 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

View PostCarnifex125, on 22 February 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

Posted Image

Figured I'd post this awesome KGC artwork. This was done by Bishop Steiner

Actually, that is Kiriage's 3D render based off my design. He made it WAY cooler than my concept art.

#14 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 February 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

Actually, that is Kiriage's 3D render based off my design. He made it WAY cooler than my concept art.

oh, terribly sorry about that, and many thanks for clearing that up 0_o

which one was your original work then? if you dont mind sharing?

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

View PostCarnifex125, on 22 February 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

oh, terribly sorry about that, and many thanks for clearing that up 0_o

which one was your original work then? if you dont mind sharing?

no problem. Funny thing is it is one of my more basic designs, never even remotely a finished piece
Posted Image

#16 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 February 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

no problem. Funny thing is it is one of my more basic designs, never even remotely a finished piece
Posted Image

ahhh very nice. I still like the overall design, combines MWO's style with the classic design very well.

I have dreams of piloting this thing and scaring the lights out of the enemy as they turn that corner...

#17 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing the Crabs in game. They'd be an interesting Medium and Assault duo. You can even skirt around the King Crabs AC20 issues (with the critical slots being spread between the arm and torsos) by making the King Crab special and operate with the Omni-mech rule set for it's arms.

#18 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

When I look at that, all I can think of is the screams of the noobs crying for another LRM nerf, an Artillery nerf, and an Airstrike nerf.

That broad top would catch missiles, shells, and bombs.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 February 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

Posted Image
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Also, could you please draw an MW:O style one? With all of the rounded parts bricked out, so that the front is just a smooth surface, and the top and bottom form right angles with the front?

Basically a walking fridge.

Think of the Jagermech.

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

View PostSephlock, on 22 February 2014 - 07:51 PM, said:

When I look at that, all I can think of is the screams of the noobs crying for another LRM nerf, an Artillery nerf, and an Airstrike nerf.

That broad top would catch missiles, shells, and bombs.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Also, could you please draw an MW:O style one? With all of the rounded parts bricked out, so that the front is just a smooth surface, and the top and bottom form right angles with the front?

Basically a walking fridge.

Think of the Jagermech.

centurion like blocking arms, massive side torsos and tiny CT. Take quite some time to do. And Kiriage's render is MWO style essentially. Not everything in MWO is a lego brick.

#20 Evil Deaz

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 35 posts
  • LocationPR

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

I have to admit I would love to see this mech around, and wouldn't mind putting it in my mechbay. It is a different look and feel, and would give some diversity. And as someone else already mentioned there are ways to work around the dual ac/20s, like spliting the side torso slots to accomadate them in the arms or something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users