Ngng #103: Summary Of Bryan Ekman Interview Part 3 Aired 2/22/14

News

99 replies to this topic

#21 FactorlanP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • LocationMy Wallet is closed until I see real progress.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

View PostDavers, on 22 February 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

Only 2 buckets???

Sounds like the number of active players is too small to support more.

#22 Darklord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts
  • LocationChicago Battletech Center

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:10 AM

No sounds like it's the easy way out.
We had mutiplayer BT in the past it's all about thinking out the problem,they're going for the quick and easy way of doing things.

#23 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 22 February 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

Yeah, there is nothing in this interview that doesn't seem to contradict previous statements, tweets (including today) on the topic.

I'm SOOOOO confused. Hopefully the CC post this week will clear things up.

ATD Working as intendeded! ;)
:P

#24 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 23 February 2014 - 03:01 AM, said:

yeah i know it's just that the thread changed from how-many-mans to suckyjacks how will clans start ideas.

It's about how Clans are released for C-Bills that I'm poking at. They are saying they are going to use the Project Phoenix design to release the mechs in the pack, the problem being that this time around Tech and Weapons are getting locked behind that "Early Access" wall.

I see this as being the same level as if equipment like UAC/5s or ECM were unavailable until you could purchase certain mechs, so you wait 3 months for that mech to be released for C-Bills or buy that mech now for real money. Project Phoenix wasn't an issue because you mount the same tech on those mechs as any other IS mech and they didn't introduce early access to an ECM Heavy or anything of the like.

Clan Collections will be giving Early Access to Clan Tech as a whole, the heavier bracket of Heavy Clan Tech will be restricted or flat out unavailable to free players until a Clan Mech heavy enough to mount them is released for C-bills. Being that I'd bet my bottom dollar that the releases will be Kitfox-Nova we will be waiting a while for Clan ACs to be in the hands of free players.

So, a situation window of "Pay To Win" (heavy air quotes, different yet equal still means different advantages which is still an edge) is being created which will be exploited by by Min-Max builds ("Gotta be a Clanner for the newest UAC/40 Boom Mech!") and which will further compound the P2W perception. Welcome to Free Players becoming more hostile or leaving.

The second situation mentioned is PGIs talk about the game being Lance vs Star, which am I opposed to in general. But this release plan hurts those that bought the Clan Collections by making it harder to get matches as a Clan Player. So, mechs that are paid for by real money aren't being able to find matches? Imagine if launching in a Phoenix Mech meant that you had to be teamed with other Phoenix Mechs, how would that have played out right after Project Phoenix was injected into the game?

I couldn't give two flips about Clans Collection Buyers getting early, exclusive access to their Timberwolves. I do care about CC Buyers getting the ability to abuse Clan Tech while it is kept from the hands of Free Players and I'm a firm believer that -anyone- can point out a problem, finding the problem is the easiest part of problem solving. If I can't offer anything constructive to be done then I should be keeping my mouth shut about it.

#25 Chemie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

When they say stat reset and starting all over, are they taking about wiping mech skill trees? Cuz if I have to re-buy mechs to get back to master I will be pissed beyond belief

#26 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostChemie, on 23 February 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

When they say stat reset and starting all over, are they taking about wiping mech skill trees? Cuz if I have to re-buy mechs to get back to master I will be pissed beyond belief

I believe it's just stats like Kills, wins, losses, drops, etc.

#27 rotagh

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 51 posts
  • LocationThe Low Countries

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

I just listened until 20:50, but a have a question, if anyone knows the answer, please tell me:
What if, I just bought a medium mech, and I want to launch with it. Until now I've heard that I will need to select [4] mechs of that weight class to begin matchmaking, but what will happen when I do not have those 4 mechs of the same weight class?

#28 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

So we can't have more than TWO friends playing with us now?

#29 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

View Postrotagh, on 23 February 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

I just listened until 20:50, but a have a question, if anyone knows the answer, please tell me:
What if, I just bought a medium mech, and I want to launch with it. Until now I've heard that I will need to select [4] mechs of that weight class to begin matchmaking, but what will happen when I do not have those 4 mechs of the same weight class?

I assume you only take one into the dropship and only choose that one.

#30 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

all in all that sounds kinda stupid to me... well maybe Peipers interpretion is wrong and i honestly hope so lol...

but if it´s right i see alot of longtime MW players - not only from our unit - lose the last bit of faith very soon...

btw: how about raising the incentive for more players to go 12vs12? i mean this game was told to be a team-tactical game, and only 1% play 12vs12, for many obvious reasons i guess...

1% playing 12vs12, of which 50% are pure meta-abusers, and in public we are even more forced away from teaming up...?!

any word on any solution would be very very nice, PGI...

Edited by Alex Warden, 23 February 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#31 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

View PostSuckyJack, on 23 February 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

It's about how Clans are released for C-Bills that I'm poking at. They are saying they are going to use the Project Phoenix design to release the mechs in the pack, the problem being that this time around Tech and Weapons are getting locked behind that "Early Access" wall.

I see this as being the same level as if equipment like UAC/5s or ECM were unavailable until you could purchase certain mechs, so you wait 3 months for that mech to be released for C-Bills or buy that mech now for real money. Project Phoenix wasn't an issue because you mount the same tech on those mechs as any other IS mech and they didn't introduce early access to an ECM Heavy or anything of the like.

Clan Collections will be giving Early Access to Clan Tech as a whole, the heavier bracket of Heavy Clan Tech will be restricted or flat out unavailable to free players until a Clan Mech heavy enough to mount them is released for C-bills. Being that I'd bet my bottom dollar that the releases will be Kitfox-Nova we will be waiting a while for Clan ACs to be in the hands of free players.

So, a situation window of "Pay To Win" (heavy air quotes, different yet equal still means different advantages which is still an edge) is being created which will be exploited by by Min-Max builds ("Gotta be a Clanner for the newest UAC/40 Boom Mech!") and which will further compound the P2W perception. Welcome to Free Players becoming more hostile or leaving.

The second situation mentioned is PGIs talk about the game being Lance vs Star, which am I opposed to in general. But this release plan hurts those that bought the Clan Collections by making it harder to get matches as a Clan Player. So, mechs that are paid for by real money aren't being able to find matches? Imagine if launching in a Phoenix Mech meant that you had to be teamed with other Phoenix Mechs, how would that have played out right after Project Phoenix was injected into the game?

I couldn't give two flips about Clans Collection Buyers getting early, exclusive access to their Timberwolves. I do care about CC Buyers getting the ability to abuse Clan Tech while it is kept from the hands of Free Players and I'm a firm believer that -anyone- can point out a problem, finding the problem is the easiest part of problem solving. If I can't offer anything constructive to be done then I should be keeping my mouth shut about it.

P2W has never nor ever will exsist in this game as team wins means other people can easily win and lose matches for you. If you’re fretting that you can’t kill as many as other people then don’t worry PGI nerfs hard when it comes to meta whine and CC buyers will enjoy a week or so of building good mechs to find themselves with more ghostheat or their torso twist nerfed etc. so access to meta builds is nothing to worry about. What you’ll probably get is trial mechs. The summoner will give you your ac gun. I’m sure to keep the pressure of CC buyers being the only ones to fill the ques everyone will get a go with trial mechs. So you’ll get to use clan weapons and stuffz, you just won’t be able to customise that’s all, mechxp etc should be obtainable for the F2Per.

I’m actually for the stars vs lances thing cause so far all being a clanner means is choose more chicken walkers than you already have with the IS team. use of different equipment but non customisable {hardwired}, weapons altering only in extended range and staggered prolonged fire and paul’s going to push all the other values so that they’re just like what we’re using now. Balance vanilla vs vanilla flavoured. We’ll still have the same menu ui settings except the ability to buy pods {another unnecessary tax because we can’t have real pod space because that would mean rebuilding the mechlab and 3 mechs per level up system} still the same c-bills and some people think clan mechs should all be in lances whether we’re an IS faction or not!?

Just WTF defines playing the clan experience!? Fixed hardpoints and loose engines vs fixed engines and loose hardpoints? That’s it is it!? I’m seeing so many compromises and so little definition between choosing one from the other it’s hardly worth considering saving c-bills for them let alone real cash.

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 23 February 2014 - 07:40 PM.

#32 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

"Pay To Win" isn't paying for a button that instantly kills the other team as it seems it's meaning has been blown out of proportion. It means "Gaining an Advantage by buying something with Real Money that players cannot get any other way or in a reasonable fashion." Buying an advantage with real money doesn't mean that you'll win, there are many more factors than that.

Yet an advantage gives you more abilities or options to exploit to get a win. Very thin advantages like gaining a build that is better merely by a single Medium Laser don't always have enough of an impact on a match to secure a win. Though said thin advantages can be enough at critical points to tip over into a greater advantage.

To say that P2W cannot exist as teamwork is often one of the greatest factors in deciding the winner is just being blind. Teamwork is far from being the only factor in the game.

#33 StormDll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

32:40 Hints on next mech? No. They're looking for a different way to present new mechs. Currently working on a Mauler concept.

What variants PGI want realise, 3051 only 1 variant - MAL-1R

Edited by StormDll, 23 February 2014 - 08:09 PM.

#34 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

I'm confused. 3 man will be the only option? or 2-12 of any size? how then does 4 man dissappear?

Hoping for some clarity on this in devlog. I am not fond of losing 4 mans, but i can see 3 mans working, but really want to see 2-12 as well. 3mans does not seem conducive to unit drops, we need to be able to drop 2-12 mans together for unit fun.

collisions - meh. but CW is more important. shame we won't see DFA for another year it sounds like...

i do like the 3x3x3x3 setup, easier than tonnage limits. might well lead to 3 733C, 3 cataphract 3D, 3 shadowhawks, and 3 spiders, theres your premade of meta mechs with nothing fixed.

would have prefferred limit of 2A, 2 H per team i think. Maybe not viable. hopefully more weapon balance changes.

of course, if pinpoint is nurfed to much lights will be that much more OP until we see collisions in.

stats reset/new grind is NOT appealing. I have almost 500,000K damage from ERPPC after about 9,000 matches, if theres an achievement for that i get to start the grind a-new?

I hope this is a good idea like they think, for me it seems somewhat discouraging to have to start "over" again.

Edited by Colonel Pada Vinson, 23 February 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#35 Von Falkenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:21 AM

Big thanks for the summary, Peiper.

I'm sharing your concerns about queues and community warfare. Parts of the info here sound atrocious. I can already smell the danger of being forced to be a Merc in order to do anything meaningful at all...

#36 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

They are gonna charge premium for groups bigger then 3... you heard it here first!

After all thats what WoT does... and they are successfull... so it should work for MWO... right? riiiiiiiiight?

So Bryan is still right and Russ doesnt contradict him by saying they have no plans of lowering the amount of grouped players...

They are just going to demand you get a premium account to do so ^^

#37 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

View PostRiptor, on 24 February 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

They are gonna charge premium for groups bigger then 3... you heard it here first!

After all thats what WoT does... and they are successfull... so it should work for MWO... right? riiiiiiiiight?

So Bryan is still right and Russ doesnt contradict him by saying they have no plans of lowering the amount of grouped players...

They are just going to demand you get a premium account to do so ^^

Wouldn't mind that.

#38 StonedDead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationOn a rock, orbiting a giant nuclear reactor

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

View PostDymlos2003, on 24 February 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

Wouldn't mind that.

Seriously? You would be cool with them telling you you now have to pay for something you could do free any time up to it. Wow. I would like to start charging you for the air you breathe, will you pay for that?

Edited by Zekester81, 24 February 2014 - 11:00 AM.

#39 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

View PostZekester81, on 24 February 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

Seriously? You would be cool with them telling you you now have to pay for something you could do free any time up to it. Wow. I would like to start charging you for the air you breathe, will you pay for that?

Having the ability to create groups larger than 4?
Yeah, I'd have a premium account for that.

#40 StonedDead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationOn a rock, orbiting a giant nuclear reactor

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

Funny for a *free to play* team based game to charge you to play with friends if you have more than two or three if you ask me.

Edit: So, you're cool with it if I charge you for the air then as well right?

Edited by Zekester81, 24 February 2014 - 11:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users