Low Fps, Decent Machine - Any Suggestions?

47 replies to this topic

#21 T Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostGoose, on 25 February 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

O_o I've never seen nor heard of that before …

Could I get you to try again, only this time capitalize that M? i.e. not "sys_maxFPS" but "sys_MaxFPS". I heard user.cfg is case-sesitive …

FPS caps at 45 now, still drops hardcore when compared to the budget command.

#22 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

o_0 I don't know what to tell you: "sys_budget_fps" never worked for me … This an Intel vs. AMD thing?

Let me try one last thing here, then I quit badgering about this: Replace
sys_budget_fps = 45
with
sys_budget_frametime = 22
and see what changes.

A frame time of 22ms is suppsed to be the equavalint of 45fps, so if you think it's the same, the great.

Edited by Goose, 25 February 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#23 T Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

View PostGoose, on 25 February 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

o_0 I don't know what to tell you: "sys_budget_fps" never worked for me … This an Intel vs. AMD thing?

sys_budget_fps = 45
with
and see what changes.

A frame time of 22ms is suppsed to be the equavalint of 45fps, so if you think it's the same, the great.

Okay, this makes my FPS shoot up to 70-90 as long as it's just moving mechs. As soon as combat starts I drop to around 35 FPS.

#24 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

View PostGoose, on 25 February 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

sys_budget_fps = 45
with
and see what changes.

View PostT Hawk, on 26 February 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

Okay, this makes my FPS shoot up to 70-90 as long as it's just moving mechs. As soon as combat starts I drop to around 35 FPS.

at least your playable now. I wonder if this could help others and what it can do for people in the 50fps bracket.

Edited by Shamous13, 26 February 2014 - 12:40 PM.

#25 T Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

Yup, I can enjoy playing the game now. Thanks guys.

#26 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

View PostT Hawk, on 26 February 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

Sooooo frametime never works, budget_fps works on ATI cards, and MaxFPS works on nVidia? Posted Image

Edited by Goose, 16 May 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#27 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

View PostShamous13, on 26 February 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

at least your playable now. I wonder if this could help others …

How many moar threads do I need to post this stuff in? B)

How badly would "Goose's Unified Tweaking Thread" be received? ;) My need for catharsis doesn't make me popular, in-game … :rolleyes:

#28 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:39 AM

View PostGoose, on 26 February 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

How many moar threads do I need to post this stuff in? :angry:

How badly would "Goose's Unified Tweaking Thread" be received? :( My need for catharsis doesn't make me popular, in-game … B)

We need to start and maintain a thread of workarounds and fixes. the number of times I see the same issue repeated it's self for months is annoying.

#29 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

View PostShamous13, on 27 February 2014 - 05:39 AM, said:

We need to start and maintain a thread of workarounds and fixes. the number of times I see the same issue repeated it's self for months is annoying.

really should have all ths stuff ina sticky on this forum for sure, specially the user.config stuff

#30 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

View PostGoose, on 23 February 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

Two "modules", each composed of a pair of 386s sharing a 387 math co-processor.

http://www.tomshardw...ing,3451-8.html

http://www.tomshardw...ng,3584-10.html

ca_thread = 0
q_ShaderWater = 0
sys_spec_physics = 1
sys_budget_soundCPU = 5
sys_budget_fps = 45
ca_thread0Affinity = 0
ca_thread1Affinity = 0
r_WaterUpdateThread = 0
sys_main_CPU = 0
sys_physics_CPU = 0
sys_streaming_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread0_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread2_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread3_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread4_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 0
put your settings to low for Shadows, Particles, and Environment, and medium for everything else, and turn off the glow.

Let us know how it goes …

Have a similar challenge as OP with AMD A8-5500. Game is perfectly playable at med with lower resolution, get 30-40FPS sustained at 1280x720, but looking to see if I can squeeze some more resolution out.

I am unfamiliar with user.cfg

How and where do I add the above, and is this specific to the OP's hardware setup?

Edited by BigFatGator, 01 March 2014 - 07:21 PM.

#31 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Not that stuff, no.

I have no real testing on quad-cores done.

sys_budget_videomem = 
would be the most common system specific string, and I have no idea what to set it to for an APU …

Copy 'n paste that all that into your favorite text editor, then do a Save As, calling it "user.cfg" into the "main" MechWarrior Online subdirectory, where ever you installed it to (i.e. C:\Games\Piranha\MechWarrior Online).

#32 Exarch Levin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

I see that I'm not alone. I have an AMD 8350 with Crossfire'd 6850/6870 GPUs and I, despite CPU utilization never peaking (even on the ~4 cores that MWO uses) and GPU utilization never getting above ~80% (except in Mechlab, where it goes to 99%), end up with 40-60 FPS in battles with the settings set pretty low, regardless of resolution.

With 8 cores, I'm curious about what I'd have to do for this CFG file.

I'll have to try these tips. Perhaps one of my MWO-gaming friends who uses an A8 trinity APU can benefit from them as well. I really don't want to turn off damage glow as I find it to be very useful in-game but if that's what it takes....

Edited by Exarch Levin, 02 March 2014 - 05:53 PM.

#33 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

I used the tweaks with sys_budget_fps = 45 and I've gone up about 15 fps. Puts met at 45 fps which is a good improvement over the 30 I used to have.

#34 Clannerfodder

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 43 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:44 AM

View PostExarch Levin, on 02 March 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

I see that I'm not alone. I have an AMD 8350 with Crossfire'd 6850/6870 GPUs and I, despite CPU utilization never peaking (even on the ~4 cores that MWO uses) and GPU utilization never getting above ~80% (except in Mechlab, where it goes to 99%), end up with 40-60 FPS in battles with the settings set pretty low, regardless of resolution.

With 8 cores, I'm curious about what I'd have to do for this CFG file.

I'll have to try these tips. Perhaps one of my MWO-gaming friends who uses an A8 trinity APU can benefit from them as well. I really don't want to turn off damage glow as I find it to be very useful in-game but if that's what it takes....

Wow i have almost the exact same setup- sapphire 6850's 2gb and a 8320, im the same i get 40-60fps.
give me a shout if you find any improvements.

Edit- i play on my laptop too, but when i use my my comp i have to turn off x fire as mwo wont load with it.

Edited by Clannerfodder, 04 March 2014 - 02:46 AM.

#35 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

Has anyone tried throwing that "ca_thread" back to one, recently? I wonder about it, sometimes …

#36 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

View PostGoose, on 02 March 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

sys_budget_videomem = 
would be the most common system specific string, and I have no idea what to set it to for an APU …

So I just read one sets the video RAM size for an APU in the BIOS, and 512MB is usally optimal; Set your budget_videomem to match whatever you picked in BIOS …

#37 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

View PostSummon3r, on 27 February 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

really should have all ths stuff ina sticky on this forum for sure, specially the user.config stuff

Yeah cuz that is exactly what the Devs want. People messing with their game and then complaining to them why it doesnt work after the alter it.

#38 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

Hey guys I am having a similar issue. I am running 8 GIGS of DDR3 1333mhz ram Intel i7 4770 CPU and a GTX 660.

I run some settings on high, things like shadows , object detail , post and eviroment on medium the rest on high no AA or motion blur, and my FPS does just not make sense in testing ground it hits a wopping 165fps some times down too 135. In game how ever it drops too 40 and in combat hits 35. This is a really top PC. Iv tried configs and other assets but no luck any ideas too help fix it would be great.

#39 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

When things are moving and shooting back at you, the game gets badly bottlenecked by GHz on the last CPU core, where "ca_thread0Affinity" and "r_WaterUpdateThread" both reside.

This is bad, as the game seems to rely on thread0 and not use thread1 much, so having waterupdate on the same core gums up the works.

There's also this "sys_budget_soundCPU" line, which when left at default tries to reserve 15% of any given core from any given thread (thus a dual-core can be redlined, but changes to this string makes a difference.) Changing this line to something smaller helps a little, but not as much as one would hope: You may as well set it to zero and do some tests with flamers.

I must point out DDR3-1333 was last considered optimal for Good Ol' Nehalem: Re-buying ones' RAM blows chunks, but you'll want to look into it.

Edited by Goose, 16 May 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#40 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:47 AM

So then there is nothing really wrong on my end its a simple fact of the game not being optimized well because games such as Titan fall and Crysis 3 I have no issue running at all.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users