- - - - -

New Player & The Clan

21 replies to this topic

#1 Ortalus

• Pip
  • The Bold
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:06 AM

So, long time BT player from pen & paper on up over the years.

I just started playing here and like it so far and I noticed the clan packages are being pre-sold.

From what I've read the package I buy now (if I want the bonus for buying before Feb 28th) will not get me the clan mechs until June or something, then roll out one model at a time.

I can live with that but I wonder what people really think is a worthwhile package? Being so new I'd hate to drop too much into it but I want a decent package that will give me flexibility down the road.

What are other people looking at? What do you anticipate will be good and what will be "Meh"? :(

Thanks!

#2 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:48 AM

Right now, I'm not even sure because they've been utterly closed on how Clan tech will work. IMHO, wait till you know.

#3 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

Yeah, it is mostly speculation at this point. We have some details but nothing is set in stone so take it with a grain of salt.

If you buy the package you'll get all the mechs you purchased at once. After that they'll most likely become available for cbills one each month. By this point we should have new weight rules that require a fixed number of each weight class per team. I think we will see clan trial mechs unless they're counting on people who bought the bigger mechs to fill out the groups.

As for which mechs will be good. Its going to mostly come down to hitboxes. We arent getting any jump capable assaults to be on par with the highlander but the clan deathball should be much faster on average. I dont expect the IS to be able to race the clan to the best positions on the map (mountain on alpine for example).

Personally I'm most excited for the Dire Wolf, Timber Wolf, and Stormcrow. I wasn't at first but now I'm starting to get excited about the Kit Fox and Adder. I'm holding off on buying them though. Just too expensive for the ability to play them early, in my opinion.

Edited by Rouken, 27 February 2014 - 08:08 AM.

#4 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:04 AM

Wait until June, see how the game improves by then. Preorders will still be open, and you will know better what you want. If you can wait, the best use of your money is more mechbays, and maybe some fluff like a hero mech or colours.

#5 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

View PostRouken, on 27 February 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

As for which mechs will be good. Its going to mostly come down to hitboxes. We arent getting any jump capable assaults to be on par with the highlander but the clan deathball should be much faster on average. I dont expect the IS to be able to race the clan to the best positions on the map (mountain on alpine for example).

I thought they have said that you won't be able to upgrade your Clan mech's engine to go faster? Or maybe its just that you can't swap between STD and XL engines?

#6 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

If you pre-order, you get ALL 'Mechs in your package in June.

It's only the people who do not purchase a package (or those who don't purchase the full Clan package) that have to wait for them to be released one by one.

Known Clan OmniMech limitations:

Engine type cannot be changed. Engine rating cannot be changed.
Internal structure type cannot be changed. Internal structure critical slot arrangement cannot be changed.
Armor type cannot be changed. Armor critical slot arrangement cannot be changed.
Armor points CAN be customized.
Some variants will have fixed equipment/weapons that cannot be changed.

Known Clan OmniPod usage:

Each variant will come with a fixed hardpoint arrangement.
You will be able to switch the components from one variant to another to create a customized variant with different hardpoints. (Example: switching a Timber Wolf A right arm [which will have energy hardpoints] for a Timber Wolf C right arm [which will have ballistic hardpoints])
You will NOT be able to switch the components from one 'Mech type to another. (Example: switching a Timber Wolf arm for a Warhawk arm)
The CT location will not be switchable. It determines which model gets the credit for XP.
Most likely, the sections that will be switchable are: LA, LT, RA, RT, and maybe H. The legs likely won't matter.

#7 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 27 February 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

I thought they have said that you won't be able to upgrade your Clan mech's engine to go faster? Or maybe its just that you can't swap between STD and XL engines?

You can do neither. But all the announced clan mechs have XL and all except for the assault mechs will be going over 80kph.

The Timber Wolf and Summoner will be doing 89 after speed tweak. 72 after tweak is pretty speedy for most of the current heavies. If the IS doesnt stick together I could see some early mismatched fights with clan heavies taking on IS mediums before the heavier IS stuff can arrive.

Edited by Rouken, 27 February 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:33 AM

Actually how the package works is this.

<-Note, I got two packages before.

You get the mechs delivered on the patch day, after the patch, with all the packages. They are delivered in one huge lump.

Public release for and consumption will be released 1 at a time (this lets the team get ahead of development or focus on other things) until they are all done.

The Wolverine is the last of the Phoenix package being delivered for cbills. The Griffin was just before it. Before that was the Battlemaster.

#9 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

View PostKoniving, on 27 February 2014 - 08:33 AM, said:

The Wolverine is the last of the Phoenix package being delivered for cbills. The Griffin was just before it. Before that was the Battlemaster.

What was the Thunderbolt part of? And will it be released for c-bills?

#10 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,157 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:57 AM

View PostMott, on 27 February 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

Phoenix package and it was (2? months ago). You can buy them now for c-bills. (Protip: don't.)

#11 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 27 February 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

Phoenix package and it was (2? months ago). You can buy them now for c-bills. (Protip: don't.)

Really? Looks like i have a ticket to send to support. It's not showing up in my store at all. I went looking for it specifically a couple nights ago after facing a couple in a skirmish. Wanted to see the specs.

Couldn't find it anywhere.

#12 Ortalus

• Pip
  • The Bold
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

Thanks everyone. Being new I didn't want to miss out when there was a chance to pre-order. However, having played far too many years of this stuff I realize I can't jump the gun and needed input from those who knew best, the customer.

Right now I just need to focus on learning how to play IS. How to modify a mech. All that fun stuff.

Anyone know a good resouce that walks you through modifying a mech? It's a little confusing in some respects and I don't want to waste C-Bills on something, only to realize it won't work how I hoped.

#13 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,157 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

View PostMott, on 27 February 2014 - 09:09 AM, said:

Really? Looks like i have a ticket to send to support. It's not showing up in my store at all. I went looking for it specifically a couple nights ago after facing a couple in a skirmish. Wanted to see the specs.

Couldn't find it anywhere.

That is weird. I see them in mine, FWIW.

View PostOrtalus, on 27 February 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

Thanks everyone. Being new I didn't want to miss out when there was a chance to pre-order. However, having played far too many years of this stuff I realize I can't jump the gun and needed input from those who knew best, the customer.

Right now I just need to focus on learning how to play IS. How to modify a mech. All that fun stuff.

Anyone know a good resouce that walks you through modifying a mech? It's a little confusing in some respects and I don't want to waste C-Bills on something, only to realize it won't work how I hoped.

Have you found Smurfy yet? I strongly recommend designing mechs there, then assembling in MWO.

Not sure about a tutorial. Paging Dr. Kon or Dr Redshift...

S

#14 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

View PostOrtalus, on 27 February 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

Smurfy is a good place that will let you play around with a mechlab. And you dont have to spend your cbills either.

There is a website called mechspecs where people will submit their builds. Not all of them are good though but it cant hurt to look.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostMott, on 27 February 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

It's already released. Phoenix program.

Locust, Shadowhawk, Thunderbolt, Battlemaster, Griffin, Wolverine.

Thunderbolts are 65 ton heavies. They will be near Jagermechs and Catapults and look like "Awesomes" in terms of the pictures.

Thunderbolt in action. First as fire support, then in the field.

Edited by Koniving, 27 February 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#16 Metafox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 360 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

To answer the original question, the clan package is probably a bit of a gamble right now. The clan mechs will be good simply by virtue of the fact that they can equip clan equipment, but the mechs themselves may or may not be very good. In the recently released phoenix package, only two out of the six mechs were really worthwhile compared with older mechs. The clan package might also include alot of duds, so it's really a matter of whether or not you're alright with spending money on eight mechs when a good portion of them might never leave the hangar.

#17 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,676 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

Any preorder pack is a bit of a gamble.

The sale will be going on until June (more than likely) so you have plenty of time to decide whether you want to buy in or not. If not, then you will just have to wait for them to be released one at a time.

#18 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

So I managed to miss the months Premium time. Dangnabbit, I iz upset now.

Since I intend to buy the warhawk collection, but need to upgrade my purchase in stages as my Debit card does not allow such sums of money.

Anybody know if I can "melt down" a package and upgrade a tier like the infamous Star Citizen that shall not even be thought of in these forums? Thanks in advance

#19 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

You can buy the Kit Fox package now and upgrade to higher packages later, if that's what you are asking. It will simply charge you the difference in price each time you upgrade.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

View PostHammerhai, on 28 February 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

So I managed to miss the months Premium time. Dangnabbit, I iz upset now.

Get it before midnight LA time and you can get it according to Russ.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users