News

134 replies to this topic

#1 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

Near the end of the podcast they talk about mwo. Say it is one of the best shooters ever but also say it desperately needs in game voip.

PGI has recently said that PUG teams are at a serious disadvantage without voice comms, now the PC Gamer says same.
Hey PGI can we have in game voip yet?

Source:
Starting just past the 1 hour mark http://m.pcgamer.com...cus-focus-mode/
Most of podcast talks about Thief and other games.

#2 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

yes, VOIP plz.

Now, unleash the white knights so they come and tell us why we don't need VOIP in a team online multiplayer game.

#3 p8ragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 308 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

I agree. VOIP is especially important in mwo, where every second counts. No respawns can be quite punishing :rolleyes:

#4 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:04 PM

View PostFlying Blind, on 04 March 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

Near the end of the podcast they talk about mwo. Say it is one of the best shooters ever

Well, we all know that! :rolleyes:

#5 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

We've been asking for it since closed beta. PGI always told us that all the teams already use 3rd party programs for this and the community is served well enough by that since the only people not using a 3rd party source are those few antisocials who don't want to talk. But then again PGI also thought the majority of players were teamed up when in fact 84% are playing solo.

Hey PGI things are different than was expected, can we rethink voip please?

#6 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

View PostFlying Blind, on 04 March 2014 - 09:05 PM, said:

We've been asking for it since closed beta. PGI always told us that all the teams already use 3rd party programs for this and the community is served well enough by that since the only people not using a 3rd party source are those few antisocials who don't want to talk. But then again PGI also thought the majority of players were teamed up when in fact 84% are playing solo.

After CW. Priorities!

#7 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

View PostHeffay, on 04 March 2014 - 09:07 PM, said:

After CW. Priorities!

Generally, I agree. I can't help but think that we could make a very small tweek to C3: just let it pick info from the game so it can place the players on one team in a channel.

Doesn't sound hard to me but I don't know these things. I just want this to be recognized as important by PGI and put on the important list, not blown off like it has been.

#8 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

View PostHeffay, on 04 March 2014 - 09:04 PM, said:

Well, we all know that! :rolleyes:

you're such a troll

View PostHeffay, on 04 March 2014 - 09:07 PM, said:

After CW. Priorities!

communication is usually a priority in team oriented games

#9 TheAtomiser

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

VOIP! VOIP! VOIP! VOIP!

Posted Image

#10 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

View PostFlying Blind, on 04 March 2014 - 09:05 PM, said:

I think, specifically, it needs to be integrated VOIP. C3 was not a very good solution.

View PostSybreed, on 04 March 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

Now, unleash the white knights so they come and tell us why we don't need VOIP in a team online multiplayer game.

View PostSybreed, on 04 March 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

you're such a troll

I fail to see how your statement is any more productive.

Cheers.

Edited by Helmer, 04 March 2014 - 10:01 PM.

#11 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

View PostHelmer, on 04 March 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

I think, specifically, it needs to be integrated VOIP. C3 was not a very good solution.

I fail to see how your statement is any more productive.

Cheers.

it wasn't intented at being constructive, so I'm cool with you stating the obvious.

Oh and apparently I was wrong. So far, they simply decided to evade the question :rolleyes:

Edited by Sybreed, 04 March 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#12 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

I agree C3 was not a good solution but it is still in the game and could probably be modified quickly and easily to give us make shift functionality until such time as CW comes on line and more time can be devoted to developing a proper voip solution.

Edited by Flying Blind, 04 March 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#13 Toong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 427 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

View PostSybreed, on 04 March 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

yes, VOIP plz.

The topic hasn't been hit on in a while, far as I can tell, but last I heard, PGI was favoring a radial command menu over VoIP. There are a couple of reasons for this decision, if I remember:

For one, VoIP is typically underutilized when present in games. Not everyone has a microphone, not everyone has a microphone that works well, and of the people that do have microphones, many of them still use third party programs anyway.

For another, people can be real Skumlordes over VoIP. Think back to your own experiences, if you've had many, and ask yourself this: Whenever playing Call of Duty, or Team Fortress 2, or Counter Strike, or Halo, or Battlefield, or whatever you play, how many times were people constructive? And how many times would others get upset and start screaming at each other for being idiots? It's possible that my experiences have been atypical, but people tend to be insulting as often as they are helpful. I'd rather not be shouted down for doing something someone else didn't like.

Third, VOIP is expensive. It requires more effort to build or integrate, but more importantly, transmitting someone's voice is much, much more bandwidth intensive than transmitting a signal that tells the other clients which prerecorded command to play. You can argue that the bandwidth costs are worth it, if you wish, but I personally would prefer that bandwidth is spent on things I'm more interested in, like more content and customization.

Using a command system, by contrast, removes hardware concerns and, being a client feature, is instantly usable by everyone. In addition, it gives players a much faster way to communicate vital information to each other without also giving them a much faster way to insult each other. But best of all, it performs the same function while using a fraction of the resources. Not only that, but using a command system allows commands to be integrated seamlessly into the HUD and the battlegrid.

I used to agree strongly that this game needed VoIP, because this game is so very, very dependent on proper team coordination. But once PGI started talking about using a radial command menu instead, and listing the reasons why they're opting for that over VoIP, I was swayed. Using a command system in lieu of VoIP is, in my opinion, a very reasonable decision.

Or you could dismiss my post and call me a white knight.

Edited by Toong, 04 March 2014 - 11:44 PM.

#14 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:59 AM

View PostToong, on 04 March 2014 - 11:43 PM, said:

The topic hasn't been hit on in a while, far as I can tell, but last I heard, PGI was favoring a radial command menu over VoIP. There are a couple of reasons for this decision, if I remember:

For one, VoIP is typically underutilized when present in games. Not everyone has a microphone, not everyone has a microphone that works well, and of the people that do have microphones, many of them still use third party programs anyway.

For another, people can be real Skumlordes over VoIP. Think back to your own experiences, if you've had many, and ask yourself this: Whenever playing Call of Duty, or Team Fortress 2, or Counter Strike, or Halo, or Battlefield, or whatever you play, how many times were people constructive? And how many times would others get upset and start screaming at each other for being idiots? It's possible that my experiences have been atypical, but people tend to be insulting as often as they are helpful. I'd rather not be shouted down for doing something someone else didn't like.

Third, VOIP is expensive. It requires more effort to build or integrate, but more importantly, transmitting someone's voice is much, much more bandwidth intensive than transmitting a signal that tells the other clients which prerecorded command to play. You can argue that the bandwidth costs are worth it, if you wish, but I personally would prefer that bandwidth is spent on things I'm more interested in, like more content and customization.

Using a command system, by contrast, removes hardware concerns and, being a client feature, is instantly usable by everyone. In addition, it gives players a much faster way to communicate vital information to each other without also giving them a much faster way to insult each other. But best of all, it performs the same function while using a fraction of the resources. Not only that, but using a command system allows commands to be integrated seamlessly into the HUD and the battlegrid.

I used to agree strongly that this game needed VoIP, because this game is so very, very dependent on proper team coordination. But once PGI started talking about using a radial command menu instead, and listing the reasons why they're opting for that over VoIP, I was swayed. Using a command system in lieu of VoIP is, in my opinion, a very reasonable decision.

Quite right and good reasons.

Folk wouldnt rage as much if the radial comms menu was in already, been a year since i heard the same as you about some form of commo rose.
I would prefer voip (and the ability to mute nutwits) along with a commo rose because I believe that there needs to be a stronger sense of community within the game, yes yes yes you can always go on blah blahs teamspeak but I prefer playing with randoms and getting to know a broader range of people.
All my experiences of voip have been that if there are people playing the game who are utter tossers and insist on bleating stupidity over a game mic then the game isn't worth playing and there's a much larger problem with the community that plays it as a whole.

Something akin to war thunder with a constant irc(?) chat stream happening would fit this game beautifully.

#15 AntharPrime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:04 AM

Well, my experiences with integrated VOIP was with Battlefield 2 and it was great. When it was used the teams worked well together and when combined with the comm rose, made quick communication a heavenly experience. They did have the occasional voice spammer but you could just switch over to the player list and click the mute box next to their name and solve that problem in a snap.

Being able to communicate quickly and easily with other random players is essential in a team game. I remember when on occasion in BF2 when it was obvious that my squad was on comms and the enemy wasn't, we could take on the entire team and consistently win.

I also notice when my own team in MWO has a group on teamspeak. They are much more effective and the best thing to do is to follow their lead in combat.

Edited by AntharPrime, 05 March 2014 - 06:06 AM.

#16 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:22 AM

99% of all communication issues in this game can be solved by letting the drop or lance commander clearly tag a target as the focus target (just need 4; DC target, 3 lance commander targets), and give the rest of the drop an assist button, and c-bill and exp bonus for shooting the designated target.

#17 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:29 AM

View PostAntharPrime, on 05 March 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

Well, my experiences with integrated VOIP was with Battlefield 2 and it was great. When it was used the teams worked well together and when combined with the comm rose, made quick communication a heavenly experience.

yup, the combination of both is unbeatable, but the commrose would be a good start and most likely even better than having VoiP first w/o the rose...

btw, what´s better fitting to MWO than

Posted Image

View PostHeffay, on 05 March 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

99% of all communication issues in this game can be solved by letting the drop or lance commander clearly tag a target as the focus target (just need 4; DC target, 3 lance commander targets), and give the rest of the drop an assist button, and c-bill and exp bonus for shooting the designated target.

+10

Edited by Alex Warden, 05 March 2014 - 06:32 AM.

#18 Alwrathandabout42ninjas

• The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:34 AM

VOIP is a terrible idea. You want them to dedicate time and resources to it to delay the features we want out of this game even further? No thanks. You want trolls screaming in your ear while you play and ***** you out for not doing something he wants you to do? No thanks. You want the game to be even more laggy during a match because of the added resources to VOIP? No thanks.

Theres a reason why teamspeak and ventrillo exist. Get on with your friends or get in a unit that uses it and stop complaining.

#19 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:34 AM

IMO opinion a complete base game that lets you effectively shoot, move and communicate is essential before worrying about community warfare.

VOIP like, now.

#20 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:51 AM

View PostToong, on 04 March 2014 - 11:43 PM, said:

This this this this this +100

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users