• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 14 April 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

No.

Because in the world where I've made my career, at the point they publicized the existence of this fix and their 'expected' release date, it should have already been through DEV and SIT testing, at the very least.

At that point it gets to the UAT environment and the USERS determine if there's a problem with fix.

If they're announcing dates for fixes they haven't even "alpha'd" in their own development system, right there is a problem with communication.

So you just want to complain. Got it.

#102 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostHeffay, on 14 April 2014 - 08:08 AM, said:

So you just want to complain. Got it.
No. You missed the point, maybe intentionally...

#103 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

We're looking at pulling out C3 and doing a full integration of another VOIP solution, it's on a short list of features that we're discussing for post Launch Module.

#104 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

Are you planning this until the silent Majority says otherwise, or is the data finally in that a team oriented game needed Comms 13 months ago?

Sorry. To early?

#105 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 14 April 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

We're looking at pulling out C3 and doing a full integration of another VOIP solution, it's on a short list of features that we're discussing for post Launch Module.

Wait a second. You mean like actually pulling out the current C3 feature? Wouldn't that limit current information warfare on unit movements and pretty much obliterate indirect LRM fire without the use of TAG/NARC? Don't get me wrong! I love that idea because it opens up the need for actual scouting, limits piss poor use of LRMs, and emphasizes all equipment in game. I just wanted to make sure that I'm reading this correctly.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 14 April 2014 - 08:50 AM, said:

Are you planning this until the silent Majority says otherwise, or is the data finally in that a team oriented game needed Comms 13 months ago? Sorry. To early?

C'mon Joe. You're old but you don't have to be crotchety too.

Edited by Trauglodyte, 14 April 2014 - 08:52 AM.

#106 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

Git off m'Lawn you hoodlum!Posted Image

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 14 April 2014 - 09:03 AM.

#107 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 14 April 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

Bryan, forgive me, but I learned my lesson with CW, when the communications from PGI 'seemed' to indicate PGI already had a plan and was at the time creating it, only to learn that after two years, internally you guys hadn't actually produced solid spec sheet on it.

Instead of reading posts from PGI with an optimistic view point, I try and interpret the actual syntax used, so with that in mind:

PGI has no commitments to VOIP at this point then.
PGI is only looking at the feasibility of removing C3 integration.
PGI is only discussing adding integrated VOIP.
No firm decisions have been made either way, and absolutely no actual expected delivery dates have been provided.
Actual decisions MAY occur after the Launch Module is released (assuming 4/29).

This is the direct translation of what you've stated, correct?

#108 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:57 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 14 April 2014 - 08:50 AM, said:

Are you planning this until the silent Majority says otherwise, or is the data finally in that a team oriented game needed Comms 13 months ago? Sorry. To early?

You need a blueberry muffin. ;)

#109 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 14 April 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

You need a blueberry muffin. ;)

Long as it isn't a Blueberry Bran Muffin! :unsure: :unsure: :(

Thank you for taking it as seriously as I meant it Bryan. :(

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 14 April 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#110 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 14 April 2014 - 09:03 AM, said:

Long as it isn't a Blueberry Bran Muffin! ;) :unsure: :unsure:

Does this Blueberry muffin come with the magical ability to group with more than 3 of my friends?

Because, if so, I'm highly interested. Bran or otherwise.

#111 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 14 April 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

Bryan, forgive me, but I learned my lesson with CW, when the communications from PGI 'seemed' to indicate PGI already had a plan and was at the time creating it, only to learn that after two years, internally you guys hadn't actually produced solid spec sheet on it.

Instead of reading posts from PGI with an optimistic view point, I try and interpret the actual syntax used, so with that in mind:

PGI has no commitments to VOIP at this point then.
PGI is only looking at the feasibility of removing C3 integration.
PGI is only discussing adding integrated VOIP.
No firm decisions have been made either way, and absolutely no actual expected delivery dates have been provided.
Actual decisions MAY occur after the Launch Module is released (assuming 4/29).

This is the direct translation of what you've stated, correct?

When we have more details, you can expect a post in the CC as usual. I was giving everyone a glimpse at some of the internal discussions we are having right now.

View PostRoadbeer, on 14 April 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

Does this Blueberry muffin come with the magical ability to group with more than 3 of my friends? Because, if so, I'm highly interested. Bran or otherwise.

Paul has one of those. Go bug him.

#112 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 14 April 2014 - 09:09 AM, said:

When we have more details, you can expect a post in the CC as usual. I was giving everyone a glimpse at some of the internal discussions we are having right now.
I appreciate the glimpse, but again, there's no actual commitment to anything here.

The direct literal translation of what you posted is: PGI is just investigating, there's not even an actual implementation plan, as yet.

#113 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

Cool, I'll do that, could you tell me which part of the Island he's been hanging out on? ;)

#114 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 14 April 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

I appreciate the glimpse, but again, there's no actual commitment to anything here.

The direct literal translation of what you posted is: PGI is just investigating, there's not even an actual implementation plan, as yet.

Yes that's fair. When we have details, posts will go up. ;) For now this was just a behind the scenes comment for those that like to know what we're discussing internally.

#115 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

Though Bryan has already commented on this, there has always been one example that shoots down every point levied against integrated VOIP: Planetside 2.

That is a true MMO with hundreds of players on your side and VOIP was split up into tiers (General Area, Squad, Platoon, Outfit, Command) as well as given a robust control scheme to not only mute any channel, not only to mute any individual in that channel but also to change the volume of the channels and the volume of any individual in that channel. They also included an option to reduce the game sound automatically when receiving comms.

Another Team Based game that requires cooperation has built in voice comms: DOTA 2. They also have one of the most toxic and abrasive in game communities, so how do you keep toxic elements from ruining everyone's enjoyment and usage of VOIP? Valve put in a commendation/reprimand system in addition to censor controls. So not only could a team mute a toxic player to their own perceptions, as is the bare minimum requirements, but also those players could place a reprimand flag on the toxic player at the end of the match with "toxic and/or foul language." Should a player get enough of those reprimands in a short period of time then they wouldn't be able to communicate with others through voice comms, only the radial wheel commands.

Planetside 2 and DOTA 2 are two games that require teamwork, lone wolves don't get anything done. As such they both provide integrated voice comms to level the teamwork field, provide the tools, means and checks to limit the damage and abuse by toxic members of the community and both provide a robust VGS system for those that are limited in their ability to use voice comms.

Not to say that the PS2 or DOTA 2 model can be ripped wholesale and put into MWO but those are the two models you should be building a communication system to match.

#116 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 14 April 2014 - 09:03 AM, said:

Long as it isn't a Blueberry Bran Muffin! ;) :unsure: :(

Thank you for taking it as seriously as I meant it Bryan. :unsure:
Heck for the ability to group with more than 3 of my friends at a time, bran is nothing, swallow a rope and pull it through!

Edited by Dimento Graven, 14 April 2014 - 09:16 AM.

#117 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

View PostRoadbeer, on 14 April 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

Does this Blueberry muffin come with the magical ability to group with more than 3 of my friends?

Because, if so, I'm highly interested. Bran or otherwise.

If it does you will still want me to solo drop!
Trust me! ;)

#118 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

Goo goo Gboob

View PostDimento Graven, on 14 April 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

Heck for the ability to group with more than 3 of my friends at a time, bran is nothing, swallow a rope and pull it through!

WAy to much fiber! ;) :unsure:

#119 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 14 April 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

Yes that's fair. When we have details, posts will go up. ;) For now this was just a behind the scenes comment for those that like to know what we're discussing internally.

While you are here, you made a post about the social aspects of UI2.0.

Which led to exactly none of them being implemented, and none of it even being mentioned as a future addition.

Are we just done with that at this point? Seemed important to you at the time.

#120 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 14 April 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

Bryan,
We definitely need more of this. We (the Great Unwashed) understand you guys are busy, but a lot of the recent interaction with Karl, Brian and Matt Craig has been awesome.

When you leave us in a vaccum with nothing but dictates from on high... It leaves us to speculate on your mindset. Speculation leads to Rumor, Rumor leads to Anger and Anger leads to...

Keep it up, and keep it light and fun, but informative.

Now I have to go find Paul for that damn muffin.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users