News

134 replies to this topic

#61 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

No question that VOIP with mute options would be a nice feature.

The real question is "How much will PGI try to sell it for?".

#62 FactorlanP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

Voip is necessary.

Not so much for the obvious tactical reasons.

Voip is needed to make it easier for players to get to know each other. To make new friends. To connect with players that you will eventually want to play with on a team.

Right now, the craptastic text chat is virtually impossible to use effectively to get to know other players. Personally, once a match begins, I rarely type anything into chat. Simply because I don't like taking my hands off of the mech controls.

This is supposed to be a team based game, but PGI seems to have made every possible effort to make getting to know your team mates as difficult as humanly possible.

And they wonder why most people are dropping solo.

Online games are supposed to be social. People stay with a game long after it has gone a bit stale, simply because they have made friends.

Edited by FactorlanP, 16 March 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#63 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

View PostFactorlanP, on 16 March 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

Voip is necessary.

Voip is needed to make it easier for players to get to know each other. To make new friends. To connect with players that you will eventually want to play with on a team.

Right now, the craptastic text chat is virtually impossible to use effectively to get to know other players. Personally, once a match begins, I rarely type anything into chat. Simply because I don't like taking my hands off of the mech controls.

This is supposed to be a team based game, but PGI seems to have made every possible effort to make getting to know your team mates as difficult as humanly possible.

Online games are supposed to be social. People stay with a game long after it has gone a bit stale, simply because they have made friends.

Quoted because I can only like a post once.

#64 Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:19 AM

I agree. From a purely social point of view it makes sense.

#65 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:46 AM

Voip is necessary.

Pretty much my argument sense closed beta.

The same arguments people are giving against voip also apply to the cammo rose.

1) Trolls, and 12 year old cod players will ruin my game. Has no one ever played a battlefield game were one guy things its funny to spam a commo rose command as fast as they can for the entire game? I've had this happen more often than obnoxious people on voip.

Wait, it happens in MWO right now. No one has ever had a person spam the commander button before a match?

2) IT takes time, money and personnel to create a commo rose interface. Im sorry but I think the programmers should spend their time fixing the game, and add CW instead of making a clunky interface that will only be abused by players spamming the commands in game. It will cause more bugs with the HUD, it will decrease frame rates, and it will cost more money because PGI will have to hire a voice actor to record all of the commands.

3) players already use the commander commands so this is not needed.

4) Players already use team speak (ok the 16% of the players base that use voip to crush the other 84%) so this is not needed.

5) players will refuse to use it.

Honestly voip should have been in the game sense the beginning. 84% of the players drop solo. If the game had a reliable voip system this would change drastically.

#66 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 14 March 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

No question that VOIP with mute options would be a nice feature.

The real question is "How much will PGI try to sell it for?".

No. The real question is why can't PGI code something this basic.

The answer is "it doesn't sell for 40 dollars"

#67 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:49 AM

Yayyy.. i cant wait to be called all sorts of colorfull things during the game.. have someone start singing a song while drunk off his ass and then have a 12 year old explain to me in depth his sexual relationship with my mother with a voice that sounds like someone allready kicked him inbetween the legs.

And dont forget all the tactical geniuses and tactical inept explaining me how to play the game or telling me my plan is shite for the simple fact that it wasnt theirs.

While a nice feature to have VOIP is hardly a pressing issue... dont you know people`? 85%+ of people are pugging it anyways... we dont need VOIP since barely anyone is grouping up anymore....

#68 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:11 PM

View PostRiptor, on 03 April 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

Yayyy.. i cant wait to be called all sorts of colorfull things during the game.. have someone start singing a song while drunk off his ass and then have a 12 year old explain to me in depth his sexual relationship with my mother with a voice that sounds like someone allready kicked him inbetween the legs.

Yeah because Mute and Ignore Lists are the same as Unicorns and pixie dust. :)

#69 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

View PostGrey Ghost, on 03 April 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

Yeah because Mute and Ignore Lists are the same as Unicorns and pixie dust. :P

Thanks for making my point .

If i have to mute people and put them on ignore lists chances are they arent exactly keen on listening to me OR anyone else and will continue to do "their thing" So in this case.. what has VOIP actually done for me and the team besides having to press more buttons and put people on the naughty people list?

Just because i put them on mute doesnt suddenly improve their teamplay.. nor does VOIP suddenly turn them into the friggin A-team.

VOIP is not going to have this huge impact on pugging as everyone claims it does. While nice to have this game has bigger issues to clear up then waste time of the 4-5 guys that actually code content at PGI to implement a minor feature like this. Heck they cant even code a lobby system or a match finder for private matches... yet we want them to take care of VOIP?

Edited by Riptor, 05 April 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#70 GoManGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

(Near the end of the podcast they talk about MWO. Say it is one of the best shooters ever but also say it desperately needs in game voip. )

These PC gamer guys must have been paid off in premium MWO game time or a small gold clan desk mech to be so blind.MWO is a mediocre FPS at best.If they would have said best MechWarrior shooter of all time I would really have laughed in there faces hard core.MWO is not a good MechWarrior game and at best a simple FPS.

I agree MWO needed in-game VOIP at the beginning of closed beta maybe PGI could have worked on it in the past 2 years and it might have actually worked. HAHAHA. :P

#71 HeavyRain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

For the sort of people who keep repeating "it's a team game!" in every topic, you sure don't seem very eager to talk to your ENTIRE TEAM, do you?
I suppose team only means your gaming buddies, not the full 12-man strength of the drop.
How antisocial, wouldn't you say?

#72 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:55 AM

View PostHeavyRain, on 06 April 2014 - 06:23 AM, said:

For the sort of people who keep repeating "it's a team game!" in every topic, you sure don't seem very eager to talk to your ENTIRE TEAM, do you?
I suppose team only means your gaming buddies, not the full 12-man strength of the drop.
How antisocial, wouldn't you say?

A random group of assorted players of wildly different skill and comprehension of teamplay =/= A team.

A Team is a Team.. a bunch of random people running together is a mob.

#73 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

Voip is necessary.

Lobby. I don't want to get to know you. I want to get to know your Callsign. If I want to get to know you, I'll join a Clan, which will inevitably have a voice server. I don't want to take things away from the unwashed that actually meet people in the gutter of the internet. I just dont' want my devs which take 2 years to make CW spending any time on something like this for you. I'm sorry.

#74 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

How the F can people worry about "Community Warfare" when there's ZERO facilitation for "COMMUNITY"?!?!?

It's very frustrating seeing people still use the "focus on CW first" excuse to NOT put in VOIP.

With all the other broken crap in this game, being able to communicate is a GREAT means of alleviating SOME of that frustration as it provides a means of quick, reasonable, communication.

Ultimately I don't believe that PGI has ever had a CLEARLY DEFINED feature set they wanted to implement. It mostly 'feels' like whatever they find the most interesting is what they decide to focus on, up until that gets boring and they start coding on something else that might take their fancy.

Shit that we've been begging for, for years, goes completely ignored, or worse, PGI puts features in direct contravention.

These [redacted] go out and start with a game that was, through all of closed beta, and most of its post "gold" existence a game where most players dropped in groups, and those groups not having an in-game solution for VOIP chose 3rd party solutions (their reasoning why they didn't need add in-game VOIP: Only a minority of [redacted] players didn't have access to a 3rd party VOIP solution, so there was no need, teams could utilize the VOIP they wanted).

Then they [redacted] up group sizes.
Then they implemented a broken MM system.
They continue to fail to implement any sort enhanced in-game solution be it a commo rose, or crimany, overly obvious BASIC scriptable commands such as "/assist [player name/lance leader/company leader]", "/follow [player name/lance leader/company leader] that have been in existence in other games for DECADES now.

PGI is either suffering from an EXTREME amount of ignorance to what the gaming community expects in a MMORPG/FPS, OR, [redacted].

Edited by Egomane, 14 April 2014 - 07:07 AM.
language / Insults

#75 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

View PostHeffay, on 05 March 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

99% of all communication issues in this game can be solved by letting the drop or lance commander clearly tag a target as the focus target (just need 4; DC target, 3 lance commander targets), and give the rest of the drop an assist button, and c-bill and exp bonus for shooting the designated target.

Yep. In organized drops over teamspeak most of what is communicated amongst the team boils down to three things.

1) Where is the enemy?

2) Where are we moving to?

3) Which target do I shoot?

Those three essentials can be covered without VOIP and I think the game would be better for it. I really don't want to listen to anonymous people be d-bags every match.

Edited by Voivode, 08 April 2014 - 10:15 AM.

#76 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

View PostRiptor, on 03 April 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

While a nice feature to have VOIP is hardly a pressing issue... dont you know people`? 85%+ of people are pugging it anyways... we dont need VOIP since barely anyone is grouping up anymore....
Agreed, but IN THE BEGINNING, more than 90% were dropping as grouped players, but PGI's lack of back done, lack of long term vision for what they wanted their game to be, and general all around incompetence has F'd this game to the point where it's just EASIER to play as a solo PUG.

You can just drop, any time you want.

You don't worry about communicating with anyone because, really, YOU CAN'T.

Your team sizes are restricted to 2-4 and 12. In the 12 man teams, ok, VOIP isn't a problem both sides are using one anyway, but on the 2-4 side of things?

You drop with yourself and one other person, you've got 10 [redacted] on your side you can't communicate with and invariably the MM has made sure it found the 10 [redacted] players it could find for you.

Grouping with a full 4 man isn't much better because you've STILL got 8 [redacted] that won't communicate via chat, or are too interested in thinking up their next zinger to bother with paying attention to tactics or strategy.

VOIP, MIGHT, bring the community back, and it CERTAINLY would help alleviate the frustration of being limited to 2-4 group sizes.

ALL OF THIS is very frustrating because of the goddamned oxymoronic nature of it.

If this game was NEVER primarily played by people groups, had ALWAYS been 86% solo dropers, then the need to restrict groups to 2-4 was NEVER there. BUT PGI did it anyway to appease the [redacted] who couldn't accept that that 9 out of 10 stomps they received were a result of PUGs, NOT pre-made teams.

YET, we can't have in-game VOIP because MOST people drop in groups, and only the very few unsociable solo players don't have already have a third party VOIP solution.

NOW, we can't have larger pre-made groups, because MOST people drop as pugs.

[redacted]

They can't even keep their f'ing lies straight any more.

Edited by Egomane, 14 April 2014 - 07:09 AM.
insults / language

#77 Viges

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

Premades will still use 3d party apps for communication (more func and in case of crashes etc)
Pugs will still not use any type of communications.
Based on games with integrated voip.

MWO still needs CW most.

#78 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostToong, on 04 March 2014 - 11:43 PM, said:

The topic hasn't been hit on in a while, far as I can tell, but last I heard, PGI was favoring a radial command menu over VoIP. There are a couple of reasons for this decision, if I remember:

For one, VoIP is typically underutilized when present in games. Not everyone has a microphone, not everyone has a microphone that works well, and of the people that do have microphones, many of them still use third party programs anyway.

Third, VOIP is expensive. It requires more effort to build or integrate, but more importantly, transmitting someone's voice is much, much more bandwidth intensive than transmitting a signal that tells the other clients which prerecorded command to play. You can argue that the bandwidth costs are worth it, if you wish, but I personally would prefer that bandwidth is spent on things I'm more interested in, like more content and customization.
Or you could dismiss my post and call me a white knight.

So... third party programs use magic portals instead of bandwidth????
Also that "MANY" people you mentioned are not even 20% of the player base (according to PGI)...

For another, people can be real Skumlordes over VoIP. Think back to your own experiences, if you've had many, and ask yourself this: Whenever playing Call of Duty, or Team Fortress 2, or Counter Strike, or Halo, or Battlefield, or whatever you play, how many times were people constructive? And how many times would others get upset and start screaming at each other for being idiots? It's possible that my experiences have been atypical, but people tend to be insulting as often as they are helpful. I'd rather not be shouted down for doing something someone else didn't like.

many of those games you mentioned have the option to disable voip... you can use your own third party program.
also... the majority of the player base for this game are above a certain age... i think.

Using a command system, by contrast, removes hardware concerns and, being a client feature, is instantly usable by everyone. In addition, it gives players a much faster way to communicate vital information to each other without also giving them a much faster way to insult each other. But best of all, it performs the same function while using a fraction of the resources. Not only that, but using a command system allows commands to be integrated seamlessly into the HUD and the battlegrid.

Much faster?
Not only talking is a faster way... it can be very specific at times. Command system can be an advanced version of the current battlegrid.

You are afraid of VOIP abuse in pugs?... fine... then why not have it when we create a 4 man group in the client?

but again... i agree with you on the under-utilization part... not many people use it... but that does not invalidate it. This is a game in which every single step you take in your mech matters in achieving victory... one wrong step and you are toast... so players should have the ability and option to experience the full potential of the game... without resorting to 3rd party apps.

Edited by Navid A1, 09 April 2014 - 06:34 PM.

#79 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

Why all the "12 year old kids will scream in my ear" fears?
Guys, you are playing MWO. This game has probably the smallest playerbase next to Natural Selection 2. 3/4 of it are 30+ year old guys who are painting their TT figures while waiting for the matchmasher.
This games entire playerbase is smaller than the "12 year old fraction" other games have to offer.

I'm rather sure VOIP wouldn't be abused. It's simply not popular enough for trolls to play it. [redacted]

Most of those negative VOIP experiences come from games which have a playerbase countless times bigger than MWO. With 60.000 guys playing at a time, the chance is rather high to have quite a few idiots online. With the (wild quess) 2.000-3.000 MWO has? Not so much.

Edited by Egomane, 14 April 2014 - 07:10 AM.
we do not want to provoke or promote such actions

#80 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 08 April 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

Agreed, but IN THE BEGINNING, more than 90% were dropping as grouped players, but PGI's lack of back done, lack of long term vision for what they wanted their game to be, and [redacted] this game to the point where it's just EASIER to play as a solo PUG.

You can just drop, any time you want.

You don't worry about communicating with anyone because, really, YOU CAN'T.

Your team sizes are restricted to 2-4 and 12. In the 12 man teams, ok, VOIP isn't a problem both sides are using one anyway, but on the 2-4 side of things?

You drop with yourself and one other person, you've got 10 [redacted] on your side you can't communicate with and invariably the MM has made sure it found the 10 [redacted] players it could find for you.

Grouping with a full 4 man isn't much better because you've STILL got 8 [redacted] that won't communicate via chat, or are too interested in thinking up their next zinger to bother with paying attention to tactics or strategy.

VOIP, MIGHT, bring the community back, and it CERTAINLY would help alleviate the frustration of being limited to 2-4 group sizes.

ALL OF THIS is very frustrating because of the goddamned oxymoronic nature of it.

If this game was NEVER primarily played by people groups, had ALWAYS been 86% solo dropers, then the need to restrict groups to 2-4 was NEVER there. BUT PGI did it anyway to appease the [redacted] who couldn't accept that that 9 out of 10 stomps they received were a result of PUGs, NOT pre-made teams.

YET, we can't have in-game VOIP because MOST people drop in groups, and only the very few [redacted] don't have already have a third party VOIP solution.

NOW, we can't have larger pre-made groups, because MOST people drop as pugs.

[redacted]

Oh i understand where youre comming from totaly.

Was being sarcastic there btw since PGI seems to be basing their decissions on their nonsensical metrics that where the result of them saying F u to clans, units and merc corps ever since we figured out that CW was not gonna happen until fantasy time.

Edited by Egomane, 14 April 2014 - 07:12 AM.
quote clean up

21 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users