65 replies to this topic

#41 LegoPirate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

an ac2 requires you to stare at your targets 100% of the time to do optimal damage, not to mention the huge amount of damage spread. theres a reason no top tier comp team uses ac2s seriously.

#42 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 06 April 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

But what about Ghost heat? What ghost heat? The AC2 is a 1 heat weapon, "ghost heat" doesn't start affecting the weapon until you have 7 of them

what? Oo thats wrong.

Edited by TexAss, 06 April 2014 - 12:58 PM.

#43 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

View PostLegoPirate, on 06 April 2014 - 12:49 PM, said:

an ac2 requires you to stare at your targets 100% of the time to do optimal damage, not to mention the huge amount of damage spread. theres a reason no top tier comp team uses ac2s seriously.

The damage spread is completely dependant on your aim. I think everyone has already agreed that the AC5 + PPC build is the more effective build. I personally have more fun with the 4 AC2 build and it is still effective enough. I don't take Mechwarrior top tier comp teams seriously. Show me the money.

#44 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

If you look at weapons placement in the 3E you will notice that 2 PPC's always go low. A 3rd PPC will always be placed high up, but then you'd have 3 PPC's which would be a very hot mech. You can place Lasers in the upper torso as high as a Stalker. For AC's you can do the exact same thing but you have to use MG's to push your 2 main AC's to the top.

The following build shows how you can build a Banshee 3E that crests just like a Stalker and can fire 2 UAC/5's and 2 LL cresting. The PPC however, is in a low mount.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f01c137aef6ee73

Edited by Rhent, 06 April 2014 - 09:41 PM.

#45 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

View PostTexAss, on 06 April 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

what? Oo thats wrong.

AC2 "ghost heat" I know is 3, after that you start proccing it, however the % bonus heat that is generated is so low, it might as well not be there and is hardly noticeable until you have 7. A 6 AC2 Jager can burst fire the 6 AC2's (in alpha strike) in 3-4 shot bursts before letting up for 1-3 seconds (aka manuver away). Also keep in mind, that is 12 damage every .5 sec (24 every second). A 4 shot burst will kill most mechs and severely hurt others, and make them think twice about being near you again.

View PostLegoPirate, on 06 April 2014 - 12:49 PM, said:

When you are talking about DPS, you are talking about staren' at the enemy and firing. That is the only way to get the "DPS" out of a gun. If you are just popshooting people, the gauss is the better pick for doing that, and not the AC5. Either way the AC5 LOSES out to every gun.

Edited by SirLANsalot, 06 April 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#46 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 06 April 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

AC2 "ghost heat" I know is 3, after that you start proccing it, however the % bonus heat that is generated is so low, it might as well not be there and is hardly noticeable until you have 7. A 6 AC2 Jager can burst fire the 6 AC2's (in alpha strike) in 3-4 shot bursts before letting up for 1-3 seconds (aka manuver away). Also keep in mind, that is 12 damage every .5 sec (24 every second). A 4 shot burst will kill most mechs and severely hurt others, and make them think twice about being near you again.

When you are talking about DPS, you are talking about staren' at the enemy and firing. That is the only way to get the "DPS" out of a gun. If you are just popshooting people, the gauss is the better pick for doing that, and not the AC5. Either way the AC5 LOSES out to every gun.

Wrong on so many levels. An AC/5's velocity is almost identical to a PPC's. It is why people pair them together and get such great results. A 3 AC/5 2 PPC BNC 3E plays almost identical to a 4 PPC stalker. I'm getting the exact same results and in many cases better results than a 4 PPC Stalker before Ghost Heat was implemented.

Edited by Rhent, 06 April 2014 - 09:59 PM.

#47 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:10 AM

View PostRhent, on 06 April 2014 - 09:56 PM, said:

Wrong on so many levels. An AC/5's velocity is almost identical to a PPC's. It is why people pair them together and get such great results. A 3 AC/5 2 PPC BNC 3E plays almost identical to a 4 PPC stalker. I'm getting the exact same results and in many cases better results than a 4 PPC Stalker before Ghost Heat was implemented.

Hm thank you for that idea, always tried 3AC5s with PPCs but this would work even better

BNC-3E

#48 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

well, it might really suck, but I decided to break the monotony of the build (dakka fire support is almost as repetitive and dull as LRMbaoting, lol).
BNC-3E
I thought I would make a high DPS, sustainable fire version that fit the role the Banshee was originally designed for, mobile CQB assault. It ain't much to alpha, but the heat endurance is good, ammo load means a long time to run dry, and the DPS is
Posted Image

(yeah, I Have builds with higher dps, but are almost entirely troll builds...this one... has actually done decent... except on alpins....)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 07 April 2014 - 09:47 PM.

#49 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:11 PM

And again, for build diversity, Role Play purposes, I like to actually vary my mech chassis (as opposed to running 3 nearly identical chassis, which to me is boring beyond words, sorry) I thought for my "Heirloom" BNC-3S (I am a scion of the house of Steiner, after all) I would take the original 3S testbed, and "realistically" update it. This, no Endo-Steel, no massive weapon mods, etc.
BNC-3S
Essentially, I updated to DHS, added Artemis to the SRM rack, swapped to a new LB-X AC, and removed the superflous small lasers, and one of the mediums. (Though I have been toying back and forth between dropping a torso DHS for the 4th laser.... haven't decided which way to roll, TBH)

It's a lot slow for my taste, though the STD engine helps it be a bit tougher, which is a necessity since it maneuvers like a comatose pig. But if I maintain my weapon range paradigms, it is extremely effective, as the dual PPS by themselves leave me at 60% heat efficiency (And since I chainfire them, even better in actual use) and when I get close and switch the the "brawling array" I actually run a 62% heat efficiency with a 6.67 sustained DPS. (the extra laser increases my alpha, but drops the heat efficiency to still very good 49% and the DPS to a 5.88. Just haven't decided which end of the alpha/DPS spectrum suits the build better)

#50 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

Hey Lucy, 'splain to me why anyone puts an XL in the banshee???

#51 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:25 AM

standard 390 - 73.2 kph - 512 armour - 23 doubles - 8 medium lasers

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...633ce51cbb24c59

#52 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

View PostThatDawg, on 14 April 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

Hey Lucy, 'splain to me why anyone puts an XL in the banshee???

Because everyone shoots center torso and very rarely does the shoulders get blown off before the center gets cored.

#53 DrRed

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:13 AM

Found it on another page so no claim on authorship: Beware the Banshee "3m on a budget": I had a 325xl lying around and didnt want to pay for endosteel or double-heat sinks upgrades as cash is always short when leveling and griding for the new chasis. The result:

325xl
528 armor
2 Large Laser
6 Medium Laser
44 Standard Heat Sinks (sic!)

Large lasers are group 1 for range and the 6 medium lasers are 2 for short range punch. You can replace one M-Laser with a tag and add it to both group.s

This build is cheap but powerfull and runs very cool for its punch: 44 SHS are the equiv of 27 DHS- IMHO noone can match that heat-decay (first ten DHS are 20 SHS, then 1.4/ DHS). Remove 2 SHS for AMS+ammo and some more armor. The only disadvantage is the xl-engine which means you have to be careful with your side-torsos.

Edited by DrRed, 23 April 2014 - 03:39 AM.

#54 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

Is the 400xl really that effective in this puppy? 75kph really isn't that fast, seemingly, but I don't really assault mech. Outside my Victors I always figured XL in an assault was a no-no. Banshee takes an XL well though?

It's possible that I like the 3E enough to get the others and master them out. And those ML/MPL/LPL boat builds at high speed are looking kind of appealing.

#55 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

View PostBagheera, on 27 April 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

Is the 400xl really that effective in this puppy? 75kph really isn't that fast, seemingly, but I don't really assault mech. Outside my Victors I always figured XL in an assault was a no-no. Banshee takes an XL well though?

It's possible that I like the 3E enough to get the others and master them out. And those ML/MPL/LPL boat builds at high speed are looking kind of appealing.
IMHO, no, but you DO need around a 350. Banshee's handle like pigs, and with most of the weapons being torso mounted you need to be able to twist and turn fast enough to track targets. With smaller engines you just don't turn fast enough.

However, going past 350 nets severe penalties in terms of dimishing returns for tonnage spent/speed gained.

Despite my earlier comments, XL's aren't too bad on Banshee's, because of the huge CT that everyone targets.

#56 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

Anyone doing anything with the 3E besides making it a slow moving turret?

#57 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

I do. The 2ppc/3ac5 build beats things down, but when you're solo pugging a BNC with a 300 rated engine suffers from terrible torso twist, which makes it nearly impossible to accurately track faster targets. So, 350 engine it is. 3 2's and a 5, 2 LPL's. Good times.

#58 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

A little slower, but something inspired by AC20/2 combos I've seen on a few successful atlai:

BNC-3E

Dunno, this mech just makes me want a 400 engine and a hatchet. :)

Edited by Bagheera, 09 May 2014 - 05:07 PM.

#59 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

Because OP couldn't find anything special to do with a 3S, here's mine.

#60 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:41 AM

o.O;

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users