- - - - -

Where Is The Social Part? How Do You Find Teammates ?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Gaianus

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

Hi,

I am a new player to MWO and after about 10 fights with random groupmates, which were fun, but severly lacked any tactical teamwork (at least on my side) I searched for some kind of "global chat" or a "hall" where one could meet other pilots and join a clan (or whatever player organized groups there are)... but there seems to be nothing like that!

And that's the thing I really dont understand! The developer say,that MWO is a tactical group game, but the game itself does not offer anything to find people who offer groups or are willing to team up together. Only if i already have them as friends I can chat with them, but how should I know who they are and if I would want to fight with them in the first place?

Am I missing something? I am a long time EVE Online player, a game where working together is also a key factor. There you have a global chat window, where you can talk to anyone and wehre you can join corp (clan) channels to communicate with certain groups. In EVE we were talking a lot BEFORE the battles how to outfit our ships and who will perform which role in an upcoming skirmish. For a game, like MWO that emphazises to fight as a team, I really would love to have something similar.

How did you guys find other people, who you wanted to play with? In the random groups I was thrown into there is almost no tactical talk about anything.

cheers
Chris

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

The forum here offers plenty of opportunity to meet people. Here's some links! :)

(old) list of chat servers http://mwomercs.com/...e-chat-servers/

Inner sphere faction-oriented http://mwomercs.com/...s-inner-sphere/
Clan faction oriented http://mwomercs.com/...factions-clans/
Merc corp section http://mwomercs.com/...corps-outreach/

you're right that the game doesn't have any large social gatherings, but there is still a big community here, you just need to use the forum or services like NGNG to look for people

#3 warner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

Unfortunately you are correct, the game itself has largely ignored the social aspect (at least, via the game client itself) throughout it's open beta period, and since it's launch 6 months ago.

Now that UI 2.0 is here you will start to see more things like chat/game rooms built into the game client itself.

For now, the community itself has to supply this sort of stuff.

#4 Champion Unknown

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIn my cockpit

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

The socual aspect and grouping up feels to me like it is a secondary thing . There is very little in the way of indicators for new players that there is any social portion other than perhaps the friends list and forums. I would like being able to add people post-match, or add a recent players list. That would be nice

#5 hybrid black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 844 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

i dont normally do this but if you would like some people to drop with add me and we will get you in

#6 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

You are correct. There is currently no social connection in game at all. They (PGI & players) depend on the forums etc. Finding a group can be kinda tough. However I kinda floated around the NGNG Ts servers, hopped on with random groups, until settling down with a group that I really enjoy. Kinda floating around felt like "chat pugging" to me, although we could work better together. I would strongly recommend looking into a like minded community teamwork is absolutely essential in this game.

Look @ Redshifts links, he's posted the best resources for you already :)

Happy Hunting.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

The 1993 remake of the 1989 Battletech/Mechwarrior computer game used a bar as a social scene to pick up potential mercs, find out about rumors of jobs and a general place to get information while getting drunk.

Posted Image

If the game winds up featuring an in-game chat-place for players, one might think a scene like this would be pretty neat.

Until then, enjoy the forum. It's all we got. :)

#8 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

Ts3 comstar na

#9 Gaianus

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:18 AM

Many thanks for your help everyone ! I think, that they should really add an ingame option to organize players into clans and organizations in which they could communicate.

Thanks again for your help!
Chris

#10 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

Sadly, there's not a lot in game to guide new players. You have the forums and that's about it.

However, pay attention to who you play with in the game. If / when you run into some cool people that seem like fun, write down their names - or take a screen capture of the screen at the end of the match - and then send them a Friend invite.

#11 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

View PostGaianus, on 10 March 2014 - 04:18 AM, said:

Many thanks for your help everyone ! I think, that they should really add an ingame option to organize players into clans and organizations in which they could communicate.

Thanks again for your help!
Chris

Wish you would write an email to support and the devs stating that....

They're under the impression that players aren't concerned with things like this

#12 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWarShip Sleipnir, Spinward-Coreward Quadrant

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 10 March 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

Sadly, there's not a lot in game to guide new players. You have the forums and that's about it.

However, pay attention to who you play with in the game. If / when you run into some cool people that seem like fun, write down their names - or take a screen capture of the screen at the end of the match - and then send them a Friend invite.

This is the best advice right here, I use a program called MSI Afterburner (it's a graphics card utility for overclocking but allows screen capture in any game/program) and anyone who looked promising I will message in the forums or send them a friend invite and get a feel for them and if they would fit my Clan.

Also as a side effect taking a screen cap at the end of each match allows you to track your progress with certain `Mechs or maps, etc (say add up all the damage dealt on Alpine in a Victor will give you an indication of how well you do with that `Mech and map).

#13 Akerlof

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFargo, ND

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

View PostSandpit, on 10 March 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

Wish you would write an email to support and the devs stating that....

They're under the impression that players aren't concerned with things like this

While this might sound sarcastic, I'm beginning to think it's true. The biggest indicator I've seen was the fact that they were surprised that the vast majority of drops were solo drops when there is no ingame way to find people to drop with. If the only way to even see the usernames of people you met during a match is taking screenshots, and the only way to chat is either during a match or with people you've already friended, how do you expect players to meet each other?

#14 Padde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 123 posts
  • LocationFree Space

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

Hi Gaianus,

if you are interested in a German player community, take a look at www.36thdieron.de or join out TS bop.4np.de.

See you there!

#15 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

View PostGaianus, on 09 March 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

Hi,

I am a new player to MWO and after about 10 fights with random groupmates, which were fun, but severly lacked any tactical teamwork (at least on my side) I searched for some kind of "global chat" or a "hall" where one could meet other pilots and join a clan (or whatever player organized groups there are)... but there seems to be nothing like that!

And that's the thing I really dont understand! The developer say,that MWO is a tactical group game, but the game itself does not offer anything to find people who offer groups or are willing to team up together. Only if i already have them as friends I can chat with them, but how should I know who they are and if I would want to fight with them in the first place?

Am I missing something? I am a long time EVE Online player, a game where working together is also a key factor. There you have a global chat window, where you can talk to anyone and wehre you can join corp (clan) channels to communicate with certain groups. In EVE we were talking a lot BEFORE the battles how to outfit our ships and who will perform which role in an upcoming skirmish. For a game, like MWO that emphazises to fight as a team, I really would love to have something similar.

How did you guys find other people, who you wanted to play with? In the random groups I was thrown into there is almost no tactical talk about anything.

cheers
Chris

Nail on the head, Chris.

You're too right, and we've been barking at the developers to include at least year 1999 in game chat support / social features for two years now.
If this community of us BT/Mechwarrior nerds wern't so diehard about this franchise, this game would have died years ago.

Edited by mwhighlander, 11 March 2014 - 09:06 AM.

#16 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

Man I hope devs will read this ... how a new player sees their game ...

#17 Sir Trent Howell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

Unfortunately there are no-ingame methods of coordinating any sort of group, team or global chat like you'd see in EVE, which is utterly baffling for exactly the reasons you mentioned. You'll have to rely on the player-organized methods, Comstar NA, NGNG, MercStar or the teams that have struggled along since the beginning.

#18 VagGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

there is no such thing...you have to go digging in the forums and teamspeak yourself.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users