+1

Good Idea

#23 Enzane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 428 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTemplar Command Training Camp.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:51 AM

+1

#24 Horace83

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:36 AM

Good idea, not to mention the positive response PGI will get in the Press (i remember MWO being on TV News with Sarah's Jenner). Basically a win-win situation.

/edit: +1 ;)

Edited by Horace83, 12 March 2014 - 05:37 AM.

#25 Scarall

• PipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

+1

#26 Suzano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

/ sign

#27 Christmas

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 76 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

I was very sad when I first read the Story of the little Mechwarrior who left us far to early last year - I for my part will spend again some money for a "Remember Sarah & all the others who left us too early-Mech" to do something good in the world these days !

In remembrance for someone I lost

Christmas

#28 CarnifexMaximus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 397 posts
  • LocationOakland, California Republic, North America, Terra

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

I'm all for this.

I've lost friends to cancer and have had some close scrapes with family. I know now that I too will have to watch out for myself in the future based on family history. When I was reading about Sarah last year, this 28 year old man shed some tears, not gonna lie.

I think it was Garth or someone else from PGI at the time who said, "if you have not lost anyone to cancer then you are ******* lucky"

One thing I might put 2 cbills towards: while the limited run mech was awesome (mine sits in my Mechlab untouched. I couldn't bring myself to change it or use the engine) I think there should be some kind of event. We are remembering this in a historic context. Maybe a paid entry tourney where the admission costs go towards charity? Either way, I've never known a gaming company and community to galvanize so strongly around an event. I was proud to call myself a MWO player. People at my work were talking about it. I think the fact that news traveled from the small actions of a company in Vancouver to an office in California really made it hit home to me how important what PGI/MWO community put together.

Edited by CarnifexMaximus, 12 March 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#29 Mad Max74

• PipPip
  • Kommandant
  • Kommandant
  • 42 posts
  • LocationGermany, SH, Flensburg

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

I bought the Mech last time, because it was for a good cause and i would do it again.

Mad Max74

+1 ;)

#30 Footupyzz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 111 posts
  • Locationplanet earth

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

count me in...i back this idea of Flitzomat.

#31 Footupyzz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 111 posts
  • Locationplanet earth

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 09 March 2014 - 10:05 PM, said:

You want to do a donation drive or whatever, YOU set it up and keep it going. Don't put it on PGI's shoulders.

Your "many Solo Players and members of the German Units and Houses" that are interested in this have a LOT more collective free time and fundage than PGI/IGP ever will.

Do it yourselves, get Sarah's parents involved if they want to be, have it linked on every MW:O-related site out there, send the story in to some gaming magazines, etc. It's a community initiative, so have the members of the community do it.

Leave PGI to concentrate on the game.

I also am against PGI giving away the money I have spent on this game. They can do another Sarah's 'Mech where players can choose to donate, but the money I spent on MC or a Clan Package or whatever should go to development of the game, not to a charity.

sssssssssssttttttttttttttttttttttttttt......be quit and listen......do you hear it? :o

guess not ....your selfish greed is making a lot of noise.
:D
2 bad though there are peeps with thoughts like these

:lol:

but not a lot luckily ;)

Edited by Footupyazz, 12 March 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#32 Flitzomat

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,108 posts
  • Location@ the bowling alley

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

Hey Footy keep it low ;) . There should be enough room for discussion here. But I welcome any kind of discussion.

#33 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

Though the spirit behind the idea is commendable, I cannot agree with the detail execution.

Every single day, thousands of people die of cancer. Every single day, hundreds of thousands of people die of other things, sometimes far worse than the premature demise of a child that at least got to grow up in a 1st world nation, cared for by a loving family and high-tech medical services. As such, I fail to see the need, nay, fail to see the justness in picking just a single fate and elevating it above all others in importance and public awareness. Though this may sound cynical, to me this just feels like the result of a perverted media culture that sees people require a face and a name to feel an amount of compassion sufficiently large to have them participate in something just and great, as if it would otherwise be any less terrible.

Besides, and this is something I have already criticised back when this 'Mech was first planned, this is setting a dangerous precedent that may well generate awkward situations later on. What happens when the next community member suffers some sort of terrible fate? Will he or she get their own 'Mech or their own PGI-funded Foundation as well? Why not? Are they any less special?

And so, as it stands, I have to give a -1 to this idea.

As an alternative, but to build upon Flitzomat's concept, I propose dropping any special involvement with individual cases both in name and date as well as influence, and instead have this potential foundation rooted exclusively in the company and the community of this game as a whole.

Furthermore, instead of offering this special 'Mech a second time, a more general expression of support might be found in a paintjob, cockpit item, and/or (once available) decal whose designs are inspired by an idea rather than an individual fate. To create a connection to the Battletech setting, I'm sure something appropriate could be found in the Star League - or the Republic of the Sphere, if the timeline ever advances to that point.

#34 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

View PostFootupyazz, on 12 March 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

sssssssssssttttttttttttttttttttttttttt......be quit and listen......do you hear it? :o

guess not ....your selfish greed is making a lot of noise.
:D
2 bad though there are peeps with thoughts like these

:lol:

but not a lot luckily ;)

You seem to have misunderstood what I said in that post.

I'm not against the charity idea.

I am against three things:
1. Putting PGI in charge of doing the charity.
2. Having the money I gave PGI to develop this game be given to a charity instead (the whole "for every $10 we raise, PGI puts in $1" part).
3. Having any more in-game items be directly associated with a charity. It was special once, but it cannot be done for every unfortunate incident/death that happens.

Instead, the community should be in charge of the charity/foundation without direct involvement from PGI. That way, PGI can concentrate on creating the game we all love. It could still be the MW:O Community Charity Foundation or whatever, to get good vibes/press for the game and community.

And, being a regular charity not associated with PGI, we would be free to donate if we wish, or not if we so choose. Plus, PGI could use the money we've already given them for game development, like it should be.

#35 Flitzomat

• 1,108 posts
  • Location@ the bowling alley

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

Please consider one thing. We had this discussion about personalized items already and once again in the German forums. That´s why it is not about supporting one single cause but instead an organization. I realy don´t get why you are pretending our proposal requires “a face and a name” or “every unfortunate incident/death”.

On the part with PGI giving one Dollar I already agreed with you. In the end it would again be our money and I guess there are people that don´t like that idea.

And last but not least:
1. Our proposal explicitly asks PGI to give the community the possibility to get involved. But if it should be somewhat related to MW:O (and I still favour the idea of a Mech) we need their involvement as well.
2. Maybe Devs would want to “donate” some of their time to create such an item or event. This was also already mentioned

#36 Whatzituyah

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn a dark corner waiting to alpha strike his victim.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

Are we doing +1 to mess with the moderators? Alright then!

Yo dog! I heard you like +1 so I put more +1 in your +1 to make it a +3!

Yeah anyways I do like it the animals need help as well along with nature itself to prevent pollution, animal abuse, and trying to keep animals from extinction "very sad tale of the Dodo Birds, the Passenger Pigeons, and the Tasmanian Tiger which I will post a video of the last one its so old that the filming shows it! Its so sad. ;) " anyways to also prevent forest fires like Smokey used to say in commercials.

Sadly this was the last one and as the description says on YouTube and I quote

Tasmania Tiger, Thylacine, this is the last one, died in 1936.
El último ejemplar murió en 1936

#37 Ragashar

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 61 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:04 AM

The last time around, PGI donated all of the money made into the charity... So around 11000 of us Mechwarrior fans put forth the 10$ for the Mech. If this was to be made a more of an annual thing, it would be only realistic for PGI to grab a share to cover costs and maybe even turn in a little profit.

Though, I am not that fully aware of the charity laws in Canada, so I don't know if this is possible... If this is not possible to sell something and maybe putting 50% of the profits into charity. There are possibly some type of taxes that have to be paid for the "profits" and probably no such tax for a charity, so it may be quite hard to do it properly. There were some issues with "doing it right" last year...

If making a little profit for MW:O and doing charity is an option, who would be against it?

You could always ask from Mr. Parries if he wants to be involved in such an endeavour, but we really shouldn't need an innocent victim to do a little charity. We have all been touched by cancer, one way or another... Sarah's story was too short for anyone. We can write more chapters into it this way, if the family is wants us to keep the world remembering her story in this way. May she rest in peace.

Last time around, MW:O was in the news all over the world... That is publicity that cannot be bought for PGI... If this goes viral again, and end result is as great as it was last time around, it should be enough incentive for PGI to push for this.

I'm all in on another run at this... This is not just a Steiner (German) thing.

#38 karmabo

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSydjylland, Denmark

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:45 AM

im in

#39 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:56 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 12 March 2014 - 07:51 PM, said:

I am against three things:
1. Putting PGI in charge of doing the charity.
2. Having the money I gave PGI to develop this game be given to a charity instead (the whole "for every $10 we raise, PGI puts in $1" part).
3. Having any more in-game items be directly associated with a charity. It was special once, but it cannot be done for every unfortunate incident/death that happens.

1. - Well that's up to them. They may think it's worth doing, for whatever reason.

2. - Absolutely. Can you imagine if the community somehow managed to leverage 10 times PGI's working capital in a deal like that? That would be hilarious, but terrible for PGI.

3. - No one can solve all the world's problems. That doesn't mean you stop trying to solve the world's problems. Humanizing an issue helps humans connect with it, but that isn't the only way to get people invested in a cause.

As for the promotion itself; you could release a special-champion in an "all proceeds go to charity" main event. A Crab or King Crab would work well.

After that -

a - Keep the champion as the only variant for a week or so, then release one other normal variant for MC and one Hero variant.
b - After a week or two, release the not-the-champion normal variant for c-bills.
c - Wait a couple months for the cash rolling in on the hero and champion variants to reach a slow trickle, then release a third non-champion variant for MC, and eventually c-bills.
d - Finally after sales have died down, release the non-champion (champion variant) for c-bills.

Edited by no one, 13 March 2014 - 12:20 PM.

#40 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

View PostFlitzomat, on 12 March 2014 - 11:33 PM, said:

Please consider one thing. We had this discussion about personalized items already and once again in the German forums. That´s why it is not about supporting one single cause but instead an organization. I realy don´t get why you are pretending our proposal requires “a face and a name” or “every unfortunate incident/death”.

I'm not pretending anything.

You and others are suggesting having in-game items.

I am saying that having a charity associated with MW:O does not require having an in-game item at all. In fact, it would be better if there was absolutely no reward for the donation. That way, there is no cost (in man-hours, to create the in-game item or items) to PGI associated with it.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users