50 replies to this topic

#41 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:48 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 15 March 2014 - 10:32 PM, said:

Umm yea. But that's the source, doesn't mean it works that way in MWO.

Here's a thought, get a clue before being a rude *****. The point of the thread is that it may not be working as described IN GAME and as we all thought it did. You know, the way you it says in the wiki you quoted.
I agree with you wholeheartedly... but also feel compelled to point out that no one ever used case. Ever. Except for trial pilots and people who forgot to take it off :D.

#42 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:38 AM

well that blows.

What's the point? Not like pilot death is a "Thing"

Why not just have Case Prevent one explosion, then gets used up.

Another ammo pop happens, well that's it.

#43 Voidsinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:41 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 16 March 2014 - 12:38 AM, said:

well that blows.

What's the point? Not like pilot death is a "Thing"

Why not just have Case Prevent one explosion, then gets used up.

Another ammo pop happens, well that's it.

You're not quite getting it are you?

If CASE worked as it did in the Battletech universe, this is exactly what happens. The ammunition explosion happens (whenever ammunition is hit, or cooks off due to heat), and the force is redirected out the back of the mech. This destroys the location (usually a side torso), but prevents damage being passed on to the adjacent part.

For a Standard engine, this usually means one side of the mech is blown off, but the mech continues to walk and possibly fight with the rest of the mech intact.

For an XL engine (pre-Clan), this renders the mech non-functional. However, this saves the pilot (usually very valuable due to training and helps morale), but also makes repairs much cheaper, and salvage much greater. Clan XL Engines since they occupy one less critical space per side are still functional, albeit running much hotter. Since MWO designs are directly from Battletech with few variations, you havce mechs with XL engines and CASE in the side torsos (like the Centurion CN-9D).

What Reppu's reply has said is that in MWO, CASE doesn't stop transfer of damage, but reduces it to one ton (which kind of sucks if CASE is only protecting a ton of ammo). This means you end up with a damage cascade, which based on the explosive force of a ton of ammunition of any kind will destroy the mech.

This doesn't matter so much for XL engines, since pilot death, and Repair and Re-arm are not factors in this game (unlike BT and real life). However, it makes CASE now useless for Standard engines. Effectively CASE now serves zero function in the game.

#44 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

The major point here should instead be pointing out that after 2 years CASE still doesn't nothing to protect an XL engine in the side torso from explosive damage of Gauss or Ammo. Its a similar issue with the Command Console, which is totally defunct, as is the case with CASE+XL Stock Mechs they put in the game having 0 advantage of using such a layout and is thus wasted tonnage.

The pilot in-game is essentially represented by two things, cockpit health and engine health and that's it. Most deaths are by engines, which "is" the player.

We already know that CASE+XL was merely to protect pilot life in TT, however seeing as this is a real-time game, PGI has done nothing so far to reflect this in a real-time MW game where the engine is the player, so therefore CASE should protect XL side engines from Gauss/Ammo explosions. That way it is no longer wasted tonnage and those stock designs wouldn't be totally defunct in the MechLab when a player purchases it.

#45 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostAinthe, on 14 March 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

I have seen too many erroneous posts regarding CASE in MWO. CASE in MWO differes from CASE in Battletech rules:

This is an official response from MWO Support regarding CASE:

Hello Ainthe,
CASE does not prevent ammo explosion damage, what it does is reduce the damage those explosions cause to the equivalent of 1 ton of ammo. For example if you have 6 tons of ammo on your right torso and you add CASE, if any of that ammo explodes you'll only take damage equivalent to 1 ton of ammo instead of all 6.

That damage can bleed to the CT and if your CT internals are already weakened, it is definitely possible that your engine will explode at that point.

Reppu
Senior GameMaster
MechWarrior® Online™

In MWO, even if your LT or RT has CASE installed, your CT will be exposed to any damage left over from 1 ton of Ammo exploding in your LT or RT protected with CASE. What CASE does in MWO is if you have more than 1 ton of ammo in a Torso location, you will only take the damage from 1 ton of ammo. And this part needs emphasis:

*CASE IN MWO DOES NOT CONTAIN THE DAMAGE TO YOUR LT OR RT.*

Very strange. A lot of times CASE always stopped damage transfer to my CT, although it's possible that every time my RT/LT was with full internal health; however even if it was, 1 ton of ammo should do way much more damage that any RT/LT can take, so it should have transferred remaing DMG to the CT. But I've never experienced that.

Back before AC 20 got nerfed and I was still playing, I used to run case in the side torsoes to prevent ammo crit explosions due to common legging in competitive 12 men.

It has always saved my life, once I've been critted in the leg with 2 ammos there plus another ton in the LT with CASE (all three unused). The explosion took off EVERYTHING but it was halted and CT was totally clean.

If we consider that a single ton of ammo was gone off, it's 7x20 DMG that should have been soaked up from the 76 total internal HP points from the leg plus the LT combined. 140 DMG should have left me with both leg and LT gone and 64 DMG should have went to my CT, but CASE prevented that, leaving CT perfectly fresh.

#46 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 16 March 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

The major point here should instead be pointing out that after 2 years CASE still doesn't nothing to protect an XL engine in the side torso from explosive damage of Gauss or Ammo.

We already know that CASE+XL was merely to protect pilot life in TT

so therefore CASE should protect XL side engines from Gauss/Ammo explosions.

1. It's not supposed to.

2. It was to reduce repair costs.

3. No.

#47 Voidsinger

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 16 March 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

The major point here should instead be pointing out that after 2 years CASE still doesn't nothing to protect an XL engine in the side torso from explosive damage of Gauss or Ammo. Its a similar issue with the Command Console, which is totally defunct, as is the case with CASE+XL Stock Mechs they put in the game having 0 advantage of using such a layout and is thus wasted tonnage.

The pilot in-game is essentially represented by two things, cockpit health and engine health and that's it. Most deaths are by engines, which "is" the player.

We already know that CASE+XL was merely to protect pilot life in TT, however seeing as this is a real-time game, PGI has done nothing so far to reflect this in a real-time MW game where the engine is the player, so therefore CASE should protect XL side engines from Gauss/Ammo explosions. That way it is no longer wasted tonnage and those stock designs wouldn't be totally defunct in the MechLab when a player purchases it.

What you are after is CASE II. It weighs half a ton more, and diverts the full explosive force out the rear armour, destroying the rear armour, but leaving the component intact. This is introduced in about 15-20 years. Although as with Guardian ECM where much of Angel ECM was incorporated into Guardian, PGI could implement some of the features into the existing CASE.

You miss the point on CASE + XL on stock designs. Stock designs in MWO are lifted almost completely from Battletech. The exception is where Leg Hardpoints are moved to Torsos, and Rear Hardpoints moved to Forward (although they did move Cicada 2B hardpoints from the Torso to the arms). So, because CASE has a far greater functionality in Battletech than MWO, the stock designs lifted from Battletech keep the CASE (Which also has to do with not messing with overall tonnage and item placement).

#48 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:45 AM

I think this is effectively a bug with CASE. The developers really should change it.

And as mentioned above, CASE was never meant to protect an IS XL engine, but to reduce repair costs and a complete loss of a 'mech due to ammo explosion.

#49 MangoBogadog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 377 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

I wonder if the devs will reply to this ;)

#50 METAL SEPARATOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:15 AM

I was sure that the CASE absorbs all the damage, until his thread.

#51 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

If thats true, I lol at dev team

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users