Something To Prevent Accidental Use Of Gxp On 'mech Skills.

14 replies to this topic

#1 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:09 AM

Today I was unlocking a basic skill for one of my Raven variants. I thought I had enough 'mech XP to unlock another skill after unlocking my initial one, but I didn't. And when it asked me "are you sure you want to do this" I did not pay attention because I assumed it was just asking me if I wanted to use 'mech XP to unlock it. Well turns out I just accidentally blew 1,500 GXP out my ass because I wasn't paying attention. I recall a rather good mechanic back when I used to play World of Warcraft that prevented you from making grave errors. When you wanted to do something serious like delete a character or a very rare item it would prompt you with the usual "are you sure you want to do this" message but also, before you could click okay, you had to type out the word "DELETE" into a text box, which made sure the player knew exactly what they were doing. Could we perhaps do something similar to this when using GXP to unlock 'mech skills? From what I hear I am not even close to the only one that this has happened to.

Edited by Mole126, 16 March 2014 - 06:11 AM.

#2 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

How about placing a little lock icon over your GXP counter that you have to 'unlock' before spending GXP? That way using GXP is always a deliberate action.

Edited by no one, 16 March 2014 - 02:29 PM.

#3 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

In general PGI could stand to do a bit of quality-of-life updating to reduce accidental spending of restricted currencies (GXP, MC, etc.).

It'd also be nice if they'd change the default when buying a mech from MC to c-bills (assuming you have enough c-bills to cover the purchase).

#4 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:54 AM

Dude, I feel your pain.

When I first started playing Mechwarrior, I used GXP on a couple of things. At the time I thought it was great. Bonus XP or so I thought. Now If I could kick myself, I would.

#5 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:21 AM

@OP:

How about this:
After asking you "Are you sure, you want to do this?", they ask you a second question "Are you really sure, you want to do this?" and a third question "Are you really really sure you want to do this?"

We all know how this will play out if PGI adds a further layer of confirmation: Players will cry havoc and hell how that slows down their gaming experience and whether PGI thinks they are some dumb newbs.

#6 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

View PostDI3T3R, on 17 March 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

We all know how this will play out if PGI adds a further layer of confirmation: Players will cry havoc and hell how that slows down their gaming experience and whether PGI thinks they are some dumb newbs.

That's why I suggested a simple "lock" on GXP unless you want to use it. If you're required to click the GXP icon before spending GXP, you don't need ANY confirmation dialogues. That's U.I. streamlining 101 stuff.

Edited by no one, 17 March 2014 - 09:19 AM.

#7 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

A checkbox in the game settings to disallow spending GXP on mech skills is a great idea.

#8 zje

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:44 PM

I was going to post this exact same feature request, but then saw this. I would even go so far as to say the lock should be enabled by default.

#9 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:16 AM

C'mon guys. Take some responsibility for your miss clicks. <_<

#10 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:29 AM

View PostMaccasimus, on 05 September 2014 - 12:16 AM, said:

C'mon guys. Take some responsibility for your miss clicks. <_<

Are you kidding?

Why do that when we can ask for MORE redundant "Are you sure" and "You have used, now press okay" clicks.

This is the hand holding era unfortunately.

- Edit -

Also because reading that they are using GXP instead of XP is too hard.

Edited by Ryvucz, 05 September 2014 - 03:25 AM.

#11 Not Elvis

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:28 PM

I would rather them replace the second window asking for confirmation with a feature where we can lockout GXP/MC from being used in the first place. A simple selection box in the settings will fix this. No redundancy needed.

#12 Not Elvis

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:56 PM

View Postsneeking, on 19 September 2014 - 09:30 PM, said:

how about when in the skills page read how much xp and gxp you have and know the cost of the skill you're unlocking.

...because mistakes happen. I think that's the whole purpose of this suggestion. It's why I did a search to see if someone else started a post about it because if not, I would have.

#13 Garandos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 196 posts
  • Locationgermany

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:24 AM

Only if we put in a voting system, on top of it, where you put your planned GXP spending up to vote for the community,
after a 24 hour period, you recieve the results, and then have to call support, to confirm that you REALLY want to spend GXP instead of xp, after that is done, you get a simple 5 time confirmation window which looks like this:

You know you are going to the Skills tab of your ui now:

Yes! no?!

You know you selected (mech chassis) to spend XP on?

Yes! No?!

You do REALLY REALLY know you choose (mech chassis) to spend XP on?

No?! YES!

Okay mate, now look, you are going to spend

GENERAL XP on this, those are

NO YOUR MECH XP!

AGAIN its GXP you are going to spend on this!

Are you REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY sure?

Yes! no?!

Now please get a confirmation from your Parents, and 5 of your friends, aswell as a laywer of choise, send
the hand written confirmations to our support team, that you are REALLY REALLY sure you want to spend GXP instead of XP!

I haz did dis! No?!

#14 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWarShip Sleipnir, Spinward-Coreward Quadrant

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:30 AM

View PostGarandos, on 20 September 2014 - 03:24 AM, said:

Only if we put in a voting system, on top of it, where you put your planned GXP spending up to vote for the community,
after a 24 hour period, you recieve the results, and then have to call support, to confirm that you REALLY want to spend GXP instead of xp, after that is done, you get a simple 5 time confirmation window which looks like this:

Yes! no?!

Yes! No?!

No?! YES!

NO YOUR MECH XP!

Yes! no?!

Now please get a confirmation from your Parents, and 5 of your friends, aswell as a laywer of choise, send
the hand written confirmations to our support team, that you are REALLY REALLY sure you want to spend GXP instead of XP!

I haz did dis! No?!

ROFL! :D :lol:

#15 Not Elvis

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

View Postsneeking, on 20 September 2014 - 03:16 AM, said:

iv made other mistakes with the ui, but never this.

Being that this is the only mistake I've made with *any* UI in MWO, I guess I'm a few up on you then. :D

View PostGarandos, on 20 September 2014 - 03:24 AM, said:

Yes! no?!

Yes! No?!

No?! YES!

NO YOUR MECH XP!

Yes! no?!

I haz did dis! No?!

No need to get snarky. It was just a simple suggestion.

Edited by Not Elvis, 20 September 2014 - 12:54 PM.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users