Developer Q&A 1

213 replies to this topic

#61 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

Nice QAs and for those disappointed with the "non-answers", well welcome to the internet. If you've followed multiple game development before, you prolly should know by now that this is what you can expect at this stage.

At the same time, I do wish that they consider the group fire/weapon spread/COF issue and debates a bit more. I'm fine either way, I'll just adapt but its no lie that it is a major issue for all the earlier MW games. Since one of the key points of them rebooting MW is to address the key problems of the earlier games, I believe it would be a mistake if some of the glaring problems are not addressed.

#62 Mad Pig

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 487 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

Agile development. Community interaction. Passion for all things MechWarrior... and a 'reboot' along the lines of modernizing the game play whilst sticking to canon that makes sense for the platform and retooling stuff that just don't fly no mo... :) Good stuff. I have no complaints because my little ponies were abducted.

Keep up the good work!

Looking forward to the first playable release.

#63 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

Why is he sedated ? (seriously)

Edited by Adridos, 16 November 2011 - 04:14 PM.

#64 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

View PostAdridos, on 16 November 2011 - 04:13 PM, said:

Why is he sedated ? (seriously)

For saying the Hunchback has an AC/10. We take our canon (via Cannon, get it? Hehe) seriously.

#65 Cyber Carns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 203 posts
  • LocationArc Royal

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

Great Q&A. Thanks guys for taking the time to do this. Good answer to the questions posed. Can hardly wait for more info that is forth coming.

#66 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

Well, lets hope it won't get to the players. I'm not a lore expert myself and getting sedated for saying something not right would be "interesting". :D

*cough*Still no word on*cough*Shadow Hawk?*cough* I should really go to bed, it's late and it's so cold here. :)

#67 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 16 November 2011 - 04:09 PM, said:

One update for you all. Matt N has been heavily sedated and is now drooling on himself over in the corner.

As a programmer who has dealt with project managers I need to ask: How is this different than the normal actions of a Producer? :)

View PostAdridos, on 16 November 2011 - 03:04 PM, said:

What more would you like?

I just hope we just get hula girls for our 'Mechs. I dunno how they feel about that. :D

#68 mercenarie

• PipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

Ok, now I wish i had a time machine :)

#69 Cyber Carns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 203 posts
  • LocationArc Royal

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

View PostAdridos, on 16 November 2011 - 03:22 PM, said:

Yes, knowing the name of the next battlemech would be great, but the concepts are made by a community member, so we have to give him some time to draw those things. It's not like he has hundreds of pictures and the actual mech list and he just wants to toy with us. :)
I for instance hope for a Shadow Hawk, because it looks nice, has good firepower and is from my preffered class - mediums, but I doubt it will be implemented.

Yeah, I would like to see both the Shadow Hawk and the Pheonix Hawk . :D

#70 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

I'm glad to see our hosts at least have a very good community sense of humor. It's important to have that to help eliminate arguments more easily and quickly, to get on with things.

In talking with my XO this evening, as he was getting off work, he told me he likes a lot of what he's seen here. Since I respect his judgement a great deal, I will assume he saw mo' betta than I did, and will try to look at things more positively.

#71 Kallian Ryke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts
  • LocationKelowna, British Columbia

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 16 November 2011 - 04:09 PM, said:

One update for you all. Matt N has been heavily sedated and is now drooling on himself over in the corner.

See? They're responding to our suggestions already.

#72 Hodo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,058 posts
  • LocationArkab

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

View PostBelial, on 16 November 2011 - 03:09 PM, said:

Sorry for double post. I'd like to know why? :) Seems like a hasty decision this early on.

Its nothing against the developers or what they are trying to do. But I am not into the Activision/Microprose Mechwarrior 2+ games. They were crap when compared to the Battletech table top game system. They were survival of the spam fire fest. Mechwarrior 2 key to success was a mech with as many Med Pulse Lasers as you could mount, because heavy hitters, ERPPCs, AC20Ultra and such did nothing. Then Mechwarrior Mercenaries, again Jenner with nothing but 4 Med Pulse Lasers and more armour was king of the battlefield. I literally ran through the WHOLE game with that one mech.

But Multiplayer Battletech:Solaris or 3025, and Mechwarrior 1 all followed the Battletech rules well. They changed some things in favor of playability but they didnt change the game into EZ mode for the ADD generation.

#73 Gaius Cavadus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 404 posts
  • LocationNova Roma, Alphard

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:10 PM

As someone who doesn't particularly wish this game to be a slave to the TT I was very pleased with answers about rebooting the series and their thoughts on combat. The fact that they put game balance and play testing above TT rules makes me feel much better about this game.

I'm particularly looking forward to what they get done with electronics and electronic warfare. That aspect has been sorely neglected in all BT-related titles.

@ Hodo:

What's ironic about your post is that you complain about a Jenner with four MPLs owning all in Mw2 and then extoll MPBT: 3025.

Dude, did you play that beta?

Because the Jenner with four MLs owned all and it was nothing but a race to get the Hunchback with all of the MLs. No one ever used the HBK-4G (the one with the AC-20).

That game was a perfect example of how the TT rules fail in a video game. Kesmai's only solution was just to introduce a RNG-based weapon spread but all that did was tick people off because they were no longer able to hit what they were actually aiming at.

Edited by Cavadus, 16 November 2011 - 06:29 PM.

#74 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:43 PM

Okay, enough... what does RNG stand for? Keep in mind I haven't read absolutely everything in this forum, so I'm not up on the new terms, yet.

I honestly like what Hodo's saying, and I actually like and support the ideas he has. Again, I do not believe he is advocating an absolute slavish devotion to the tabletop, but toward making the game more akin, more 'feel' to the tabletop, rather than a point-and-shoot kill fest that, again, requires zero skill to execute.

#75 Gaius Cavadus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 404 posts
  • LocationNova Roma, Alphard

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 16 November 2011 - 06:43 PM, said:

Okay, enough... what does RNG stand for?

Random Number Generator. It's used as a shortcut/simplification to simulate something when people don't want to go through all of the work of constructing an accurate model.

Not to say that it isn't acceptable in some cases. In the boardgame it obviously works fine because going through hugely complex ballistic calculations every single turn would make the game far too complex and time consuming.

Edited by Cavadus, 16 November 2011 - 07:02 PM.

#76 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:22 PM

View PostHodo, on 16 November 2011 - 05:39 PM, said:

Its nothing against the developers or what they are trying to do. But I am not into the Activision/Microprose Mechwarrior 2+ games. They were crap when compared to the Battletech table top game system. They were survival of the spam fire fest. Mechwarrior 2 key to success was a mech with as many Med Pulse Lasers as you could mount, because heavy hitters, ERPPCs, AC20Ultra and such did nothing. Then Mechwarrior Mercenaries, again Jenner with nothing but 4 Med Pulse Lasers and more armour was king of the battlefield. I literally ran through the WHOLE game with that one mech.

But Multiplayer Battletech:Solaris or 3025, and Mechwarrior 1 all followed the Battletech rules well. They changed some things in favor of playability but they didnt change the game into EZ mode for the ADD generation.

I made a visual chart to make this same point:
Posted Image

#77 Dragonlord

• 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:26 PM

Great Q&A, answer allot of things I have been wondering about.
And the goofy comment here and there gave me some good laughs too.
My favorite was this one:

[MATT N] I remember that trailer and I don’t think there was a Warhammer in there... I think it was an Urban Mech. Man I love those trash cans.

[PAUL] And you guys think I should be medicated?!?

I'm still laughing from that and other such comments.

#78 Kell Aset

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:47 PM

Interesting Q&A, wasn't expecting that. Waiting for more artworks, smth more about persistent part of the world and melee combat, well more of everything in general heh :)

Edited by Kell Aset, 16 November 2011 - 08:05 PM.

#79 Frantic Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

Whoa now, mpbt was great. The addition of the rng not so much...but it was still great fun none the less. Much better than any of the Mechwarrior games in my opinion...a conclusion which I come to by how much fun I had playing it. Which is why I prefer a more battletech like system...but non of that rng nonsense :)

#80 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

So what mechanisms are in place to keep someone from squatting (griefing) every unit name found on Sarna.net?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users