• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,058 posts
  • LocationArkab

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

View PostCavadus, on 16 November 2011 - 06:10 PM, said:

@ Hodo:

What's ironic about your post is that you complain about a Jenner with four MPLs owning all in Mw2 and then extoll MPBT: 3025.

Dude, did you play that beta?

Because the Jenner with four MLs owned all and it was nothing but a race to get the Hunchback with all of the MLs. No one ever used the HBK-4G (the one with the AC-20).

That game was a perfect example of how the TT rules fail in a video game. Kesmai's only solution was just to introduce a RNG-based weapon spread but all that did was tick people off because they were no longer able to hit what they were actually aiming at.

Uh... before they introduced the RNG system which was never there the whole time I played it. Was not a factor. They just made the gunsite move more while you were moving. And most people didnt use the Jenner... they used the Javelin with the 4MLs. They were all torso mounted less chance of you being disarmed. And people used them as long as someone didnt use a Valkerie correctly or a BJ-1 or a Vulcan. I actually used the the Panther, then the Blackjack, Vulcan or the Shadow Hawk, or when needed a heavy... the Archer.

The only thing that had a RNG was the LRMs and SRMs. Which made sense. Direct fire weapons if you hit a hitbox you hit that hitbox!
The Head was the only part of the mech that was EXTREMELY difficult to hit, and only on some mechs, the Catapult was retardedly easy to decap. I played MPBT when it was MPBT:SVGA which was before the beta of Kesmai's version. And I played long after playing on the MPBT:3025 by EA. Which again was a pretty good game and was a bit better because people were forced to work in lances, and you seen less all gun mechs.

I remember you could even kick and punch (if capable) in MPBT. Even DFA was possible... difficult as it should have been but possible.

View PostKay Wolf, on 16 November 2011 - 06:43 PM, said:

Okay, enough... what does RNG stand for? Keep in mind I haven't read absolutely everything in this forum, so I'm not up on the new terms, yet.

I honestly like what Hodo's saying, and I actually like and support the ideas he has. Again, I do not believe he is advocating an absolute slavish devotion to the tabletop, but toward making the game more akin, more 'feel' to the tabletop, rather than a point-and-shoot kill fest that, again, requires zero skill to execute.

Right, I want a good sim, not a arcade like Mechwarrior 2+. I want Falcon 4.0 + Battletech.

#82 Gaius Cavadus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 404 posts
  • LocationNova Roma, Alphard

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:58 PM

View PostHodo, on 16 November 2011 - 08:49 PM, said:

And most people didnt use the Jenner... they used the Javelin with the 4MLs. They were all torso mounted less chance of you being disarmed.

Ah, you're right. It was the Javelin with the four MLs.

I have no idea how you on one hand can condemn Mw2, 3, or 4 for something and then praise MPBT: 3025 beta when it was easily the worst offender in terms of what made you condemn 2, 3, and 4.

Your comments on the other mechs are kind of irrelevent. The Valk and Vulcan sucked. What made the BJ-1 good was that it had the two autocannons to soften targets up for it's four MLs.

Did you ever try playing in an Enforcer or Centurion? THere was almost no hope of any kind for defeating the ML Hunchie.

MLs owned everything in that beta.

Edited by Cavadus, 16 November 2011 - 09:04 PM.

#83 Hodo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,058 posts
  • LocationArkab

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

View PostCavadus, on 16 November 2011 - 08:58 PM, said:

Ah, you're right. It was the Javelin with the four MLs.

I have no idea how you on one hand can condemn Mw2, 3, or 4 for something and then praise MPBT: 3025 beta when it was easily the worst offender in terms of what made you condemn 2, 3, and 4.

Heres why.

MW2- had 7 weapon slots that I can remember, it centered around the clans, the game was easily defeated by using a medium or a heavy mech with ALL Large Pulse Lasers, or even Medium Pulse Lasers, armor and Heat Sinks.

MW3 and 4- Started turning into "Hey lets play Robot Jocks!" (Google Robot Jocks).

They were made for the ADHD generation who pound Monster Energy drinks and wonder why they have kidney, weight, and diabetic issues by the time they are thirty. They show up for every beta or F2P game and cry about how it should be faster, deadlier, or have this so they can wtfpwn more, and then when the next "shiny" F2P fad pops out they are all over it like flies on shat in a dump on a hot summer day in Baghdad Iraq!

#84 Gaius Cavadus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

View PostHodo, on 16 November 2011 - 09:03 PM, said:

I hate young people and new things.

Here ya go:

http://megamek.info/

Edited by Cavadus, 16 November 2011 - 09:06 PM.

#85 Hodo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,058 posts
  • LocationArkab

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

View PostCavadus, on 16 November 2011 - 09:05 PM, said:

To sorry to come up with a good comeback because my pea sized brain is still struggling to cope without my caffeinated drip.

Oh good one... I already play that from time to time. Did I say "I hate young people and new things."? NO so dont put words in my mouth.

Sucks when someone else does that to you no?

Edited by Hodo, 16 November 2011 - 09:11 PM.

#86 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

View PostCavadus, on 16 November 2011 - 07:00 PM, said:

Random Number Generator.
Thank you.

It's used as a shortcut/simplification to simulate something when people don't want to go through all of the work of constructing an accurate model.
Have you ever played DnD: Eberron Online? It works there, and it's not so bad, just takes a bit longer and makes many sweat to find out whether or not they can win the fight.

They were made for the ADHD generation who pound Monster Energy drinks and wonder why they have kidney, weight, and diabetic issues by the time they are thirty. They show up for every beta or F2P game and cry about how it should be faster, deadlier, or have this so they can wtfpwn more, and then when the next "shiny" F2P fad pops out they are all over it like flies on shat in a dump on a hot summer day in Baghdad Iraq!
Holy smokes, Hodo... get 'em! You're right, and I absolutely agree with you.

#87 Gaius Cavadus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

View PostHodo, on 16 November 2011 - 09:10 PM, said:

Did I say "I hate young people and new things."?

Yeah; very clearly.

View PostKay Wolf, on 16 November 2011 - 09:17 PM, said:

Have you ever played DnD: Eberron Online? It works there, and it's not so bad....

Of course a RNG works in DDO; it uses a tab-to-target RPG combat system predicated entirely on RNG.

Are you seriously advocating removing all twitch skills from MWO? You're insinuations are slowly killing my Saitek X52 Pro :)

Edited by Cavadus, 16 November 2011 - 09:37 PM.

#88 Vincent Vascaul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationEverett, Wa

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:40 PM

Holy crap they answered 4 of my questions, thanks so much guys!

Edited by Vincent Vascaul, 16 November 2011 - 09:43 PM.

#89 Wussy Wussy Tank

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:47 PM

I still want you boys to build me a better sandbox, and I will stomp and scream until I am heard.
1. I get to play cards with Red Jack Ryan
2. I get to lead a squad of Grey Death and knee cap your mech.
3. I get to fly the Leopard drop ship
4. I and my DEST buddies get to attempt to take the bridge of a Jumpship
5. I get to see if a Battlemaster really can squash an Elemental.
6. Death From Above with a Highlander!
7. LAM - ohhh ya baby Wasp, Stinger, Pheonix Hawk - LAM
8. Indirect fire with a LONG TOM III
9. Secret Comstar bases
10. I get to build, a base to stash my large collection of Mechs.

Big, Big, Big Sandbox....start with the FPS Mech simulator, but you better bring the rest.

#90 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:57 PM

View PostWussy Wussy Tank, on 16 November 2011 - 11:47 PM, said:

I still want you boys to build me a better sandbox, and I will stomp and scream until I am heard.
1. I get to play cards with Red Jack Ryan
2. I get to lead a squad of Grey Death and knee cap your mech.
3. I get to fly the Leopard drop ship
4. I and my DEST buddies get to attempt to take the bridge of a Jumpship
5. I get to see if a Battlemaster really can squash an Elemental.
6. Death From Above with a Highlander!
7. LAM - ohhh ya baby Wasp, Stinger, Pheonix Hawk - LAM
8. Indirect fire with a LONG TOM III
9. Secret Comstar bases
10. I get to build, a base to stash my large collection of Mechs.

Big, Big, Big Sandbox....start with the FPS Mech simulator, but you better bring the rest.

As humorous as this was, I actually like the ideas. Minus the LAMs. No thanks, that's something I don't even like in Japanese mecha anime. Guess Transformers really ruined the whole "one thing turns into another thing" for me. Unless I get to pop a LAM with a laughably small weapon and watch as it falls to the ground, half-transformed and helpless. Piloting DropShips and having my own secret base of doom? Not happening, but I'd love it.

#91 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:44 AM

Sounds all great to me. Especially the way you look at the dire necessity to translate TT rules into a real time environment. Looking forward to this!

#92 terminator

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:09 AM

Mmmm interesting response on the pinpoint hitting.... but i do agree it will have to be decided at testing.

#93 Amechwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 729 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:15 AM

We know they hate ponies but love HULA GIRLS! Is it possible they are fans of Freakazoid? This QnA and that clip have a very similar layout. :)

Now we got people putting words in each others mouths.called it We need to all realize that we have over a decades worth of ideas and wishes built up for this game and the flood of ideas is infinite. Tensions in posts have been noticeably higher. Overall we have been good at agreeing to disagree, without resorting to the normal internet degradation. Be passionate, defend your position to the death but at the end of the day you do not need to get angry at a post on the internet, about fictional robots, that cannot even target well. If we let this slippery slope continue, the developers will want to visit less and less. That would be bad for everyone.

#94 Night Hawk

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:42 AM

View PostAmechwarrior, on 17 November 2011 - 03:15 AM, said:

We know they hate ponies but love HULA GIRLS! Is it possible they are fans of Freakazoid? This QnA and that clip have a very similar layout. :D

Now we got people putting words in each others mouths.called it We need to all realize that we have over a decades worth of ideas and wishes built up for this game and the flood of ideas is infinite. Tensions in posts have been noticeably higher. Overall we have been good at agreeing to disagree, without resorting to the normal internet degradation. Be passionate, defend your position to the death but at the end of the day you do not need to get angry at a post on the internet, about fictional robots, that cannot even target well. If we let this slippery slope continue, the developers will want to visit less and less. That would be bad for everyone.

I totally agree. Can't you all just get along? :) Atleast until the game is made then yall can blow the heck out of each other lol.. Hmm that didn't sound right.

#95 Night Hawk

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:45 AM

Also thanks so much for answering my question. I found it very informative. The Q&A is wonderful indeed. And I for one am very excited even more about this game. (End suckup moment.) lol..

#96 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:22 AM

Thanks PGI!

Who was asking the questions? :)

#97 Nav

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:50 AM

Very nice. Thank you!

#98 Thoth

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

Great post guys! Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with! Informative post.

#99 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDropping with the 2nd Jaguar Guard

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:50 AM

What mechs will be in the game: question asked by everyone
Standard Smoke Jaguar answer: Warhawk
What light mechs: Warhawk
What medium mechs: Warhawk
What Heavy mechs: Warhawk
What Warhawk mechs: indeed

Clan Smoke Jaguar produces the Warhawk with amazing efficiency and it is now being used to supplement all your mech needs...when you think 'I want a new mech in the game', think Warhawk.

*This message brought to you by the Merchant caste of Clan Smoke Jaguar*

"What did I tell you about hacking my account! Get away from here freebirth!"

*you can hear a scuffle in the background*

"Ahem, this is the true Amarus Cameron, our Merchants would never sell an omnimech to the Inner Sphere...but perhaps if our crusader clan brethren needed extra supplies something could be worked out..."

Payment plans indeed can be worked out, contact your nearest Clan Smoke Jaguar Occupation Zone world today!

"WHAT, how are you doing that! Do not make me go 'Atreus City' on you!" *line is cut*

Atreus City- location of the merchant revolt, and suppression by clan smoke jaguar, merchants were suppressed for their willingness to deal with the dark caste and make unfair deals, something considered unclanlike and treasonous.

Edited by Amarus Cameron, 17 November 2011 - 07:51 AM.

#100 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:22 AM

[quote name='"Amarus Cameron"]"WHAT' date=' how are you doing that! Do not make me go 'Atreus City' on you!" *line is cut*[/quote']ROFLMAO

Did you mean to write this in the form of a commercial in the Inner Sphere and across the Occupation Zone? If so, it's pretty funny.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users